Los Angeles Police Department

Los Angeles Police Department Employer Reviews

L.A.P.D
Police Officer II (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Unique and pleasant city to do police work. Work performed included traffic accident investigator, general patrol and gang officer.
Excellent Benefits and Job Security
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2014
Fast-paced, demanding job. But worth the effort. Excellent Benefits and Job security
Great job for a good ole boy
Police Officer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 2, 2014
Pros: great job and benefits
Cons: good ole boys club
I loved the job for the most part but when you tick someone off you find out just how ruthless this department can be. they act first and ask questions later. the employee is always wrong especially if you are a minority.
Excellent structured work environment
Police Service Representative (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 6, 2014
Work environment was positive. Everyone was trained the same so there was excellent work flow
Receive and Dispatch 9-1-1 calls requesting Police responses to appropriate area police units.
Police Service Representative (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2014
Pros: working with the public and police
Cons: rotating shifts
The typical day starts with a department briefing to update dispatchers on any emergencies, updates, new guidelines and to ensure proper staffing of all dispatch bureaus for officer and public safety. Through my experience I learned to interview and obtain information pertinent to the responding officer and public safety. The rapport with my co-workers – more... was very good as everyone worked for the same goal and that was public and officer safety. The hardest part of the job was having to change shifts every 6 months. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to choose the my off-days. – less
Busy.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2014
Most days you had to come into the office ready to work. Lots of paperwork to be entered into the system, reports distribution had to be done. Knowing how to multi-task is a must. We were short of help alot, but a close working relationship was a plus. This was a 24 hour 7 day a week office. Every watch had to cover each other because the work was ongoing. – more... The hardest part of the job was learning new codes for the computer entry, but I enjoyed the job. It was interesting to me watching police officers and detectives work. – less
Police Officer I
Police Officer I (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: sense of goodness.
Cons: none.
There is no typical day with the LAPD. Every day, something new happens that we always have to be prepared for regardless of what that "something" is. We dealt with some of the worst people populating the world but we did the job because we knew that protecting the city was worth soomething more than only ourselves. The most enjoyable part of this job – more... was knowing that everyday, we did something good to help the city better itself a little more, whether it be apprehending criminals or assisting a citizen with their daily life. – less
Officer in Charge (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 25, 2013
Good people that care about their jobs and making a difference.
Comfortable and friendly work place
Police Services Representative (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 3, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: being connected to a console with a headset on all shift
I take emergency calls, refer for medical emergencies, provide resources for various city entities and generate alarm calls. I've learned to remain calm in emergencies, when working with police officers in the field. Co-workers are kind and supportive. The hardest part of the job is making sure that emergency calls are handled in a expeditious fashion, – more... while remaining calm! – less
Productive and a great learning experience with a great and fun staff.
Intern as a Crime Analyst (Current Employee), Reseda, CAAugust 11, 2013
Pros: friendly staff and very helpful when needed help.
Cons: i can only work part time because it is a volunteer internship. no pay.
I start my day at the LAPD with checking for any crime alerts that needs to be done of the detectives. Since I work as an intern, I am assigned to the CAD unit to gain knowledge and experience in the Crime Analyst position. I have learned to create maps, to analyze crime statistics, assisting the CAD unit with creating mission and daily briefing reports, – more... and creating crime, information, and community alerts for the division. I have learned to manage my time and complete my assignments in a timely manner. Although, it is the hardest part of the job to meet deadlines, I have succeeded in accomplishing the assignments that are provided to me. The most enjoyable part of this job is that I learn something new every day, which challenges me to learn and accelerate in my knowledge, and help the CAD unit in accomplishing their goals. This would be a difficult task without the guidance of the officers at the CAD unit. – less
love the enviroment
Clerk Typist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2013
Pros: great place to work
Cons: you would need to upgrad your skill on your own
the best place I've worked and through the city plenty room for growth. I love the fact the job wasn't stressful
Pleasant call center environment
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2013
THE best job Ive ever had, hands down. Great benefits, salary and working environment.
It's ok
Admin (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 25, 2013
It was a paycheck...furloughs sucked so I left. Got tired of meaningless promises and having only part of a pay check.
Law Enforcement officer
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: public service
Cons: danangerous.
Law enforcement duties including report writing, crime suppression, traffic enforcement, narcotic and drug enforcement. I worked as an training office working with rookies police officers training them on the various law enforcement duties.
Enforcing the laws out in the field and at the front desk.
Police Officer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 19, 2013
Patrolled a high crime rate area of the city and responded to dispatch calls to enforce laws and ensure public safety. Investigated criminal activity, interviewed victims, witnesses, and suspects. Enforced traffic laws and investigated vehicle collisions. Wrote accurate and complete reports. Testified in court. Educated public on crime prevention.
Loved being a policeman and working law enforcement.
Policeman III (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: loved the job.
Cons: dirty cops with the department.
As a policeman for L.A.P.D. my assignments were numerous and I loved them all.

What I learned being an L.A.P.D. officer is that I worked the best police department in the world.

My managers were police officers who had climbed the success ladder and were now in the positions to guide the lower ranking officers.

My co-workers varied, male and females, – more... but the were all my brothers and sisters working for a common cause to provide the best service to the people of city Los Angeles.

The hardest part of the job was that my shifts were too short.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being an L.A.P.D. Policeman. – less
Great place to work if you do not have small children
Police Officer II (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2013
Great place to work if you are not a mother of small children.
Helping officers with their work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 30, 2012
Pros: learn what the police do inside the department
Cons: there are no pays
What I learned as a volunteer in the police department, is that I learned to take phone calls, I learned to put reports in order and also search for any missing children by calling their parents. I translated in Spanish upon an officer's request and I was also given a tour around the police department.
Best job of my life time
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 3, 2012
Pros: great people
Cons: very dangerous (but exciting)
I worked details such as routine patrol, narcotics, burglary and gangs. I learned a lot about people under stress and people during their every day life.

I had the best shift of coworkers. The hardest part of the entire job was doing death notifications.

I found that the most enjoyable part of this job was helping people in need.
working a a police officer
Police Officer (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2012
Pros: having freedom, little to no supervision
Cons: constant calls for service and media making officers look bad
As a peace officer working for the City of Los Angeles, the duties range from apprehending murder suspects to resolving business disputes. There in nothing routine about working as a peace officer. I never know or could guess what will I see or get into.

While working for the department, I learned that working with the citizens provides an easier way – more... to do my job. I depend on them, they are my eyes and ears. As I establish a partnership with them, I gain their trust and confidence to better serve them.

Working for the department is similar to working in the military. Everything is quasi-military, therefore, respect is strictly enforced. I sometimes don't agree with management but I still have to carry myself in a professional manner.

Now working with my co-workers, that is fun. I never know what topic or conversation we will be talking about. It is a great deal of fun working with the same people who know and understand my reasoning. That makes the day and job go faster and easier.

The expectations for officers are unrealistic. The department has swarmed the patrol officers with so much paper work making redundant policies that make it hard to really focus on the real mission. Unfortunately, this will not go away. I can only say, I adapt and overcome these challenges and figure out how I can do my work in an efficient manner.

I find it most enjoyable working with the citizens, putting real bad people in jail. By doing that, I see my work making a good impact in the community as I see children play in the parks, citizens go to the streets without any fear. – less