Los Angeles Police Department

Los Angeles Police Department Employer Reviews

Best job of my life time
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 3, 2012
Pros: great people
Cons: very dangerous (but exciting)
I worked details such as routine patrol, narcotics, burglary and gangs. I learned a lot about people under stress and people during their every day life.

I had the best shift of coworkers. The hardest part of the entire job was doing death notifications.

I found that the most enjoyable part of this job was helping people in need.
working a a police officer
Police Officer (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2012
Pros: having freedom, little to no supervision
Cons: constant calls for service and media making officers look bad
As a peace officer working for the City of Los Angeles, the duties range from apprehending murder suspects to resolving business disputes. There in nothing routine about working as a peace officer. I never know or could guess what will I see or get into.

While working for the department, I learned that working with the citizens provides an easier way to do my job. I depend on them, they are my eyes and ears. As I establish a partnership with them, I gain their trust and confidence to better serve them.

Working for the department is similar to working in the military. Everything is quasi-military, therefore, respect is strictly enforced. I sometimes don't agree with management but I still have to carry myself in a professional manner.

Now working with my co-workers, that is fun. I never know what topic or conversation we will be talking about. It is a great deal of fun working with the same people who know and understand my reasoning. That makes the day and job go faster and easier.

The expectations for officers are unrealistic. The department has swarmed the patrol officers with so much paper work making redundant policies that make it hard to really focus on the real mission. Unfortunately, this will not go away. I can only say, I adapt and overcome these challenges and figure out how I can do my work in an efficient manner.

I find it most enjoyable working with the citizens, putting real bad people in jail. By doing that, I see my work making a good impact in the community as I see children play in the parks, citizens go to the streets without any fear.
Great pay and benefits
Homicide Detective (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 7, 2012
Pros: the pay and friendships you develop
Cons: the favoritism when trying to promote.
As a homicide detective, the hours were long but worth it once the suspect was arrested. Everyone who works homicides is dedicated and hardworking. The job is rewarding but hard work to put a case together and have a successful conviction.
Law Enforcemnt (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 28, 2012
LAPD was an absolutely awesome place to work and learn. Training was phenomenal, work was always exciting. The agency shared some of the best commraderie of any place I've ever worked. If I had to say there was a drawback or something negative, for me it was living there. I loved my job, just didn't like where I lived. Definitely a great place to work.
Review
Clerk Typist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 6, 2012
Pros: the holiday parties, beach parties and free lunches.
Cons: short breaks and sometimes the smell of the jail.
Worked in jail typing bail receipts and giving out bail information.
Learn different codes and what they meant. Co-workers were friendly.Hardest part of the job was learning the different divisions of the police department. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning codes and divisions of the police department, and working with my co-workers.
An exciting career with a great deal of reward and satisfaction
Police Officer III Training Officer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2012
Being among the ranks of the LAPD is an extremely rewarding position. It is not for everyone; it takes a certain type of internal drive and work ethic to perform on the streets of Los Angeles. The training is outstanding and after time, the closeness of your fellow officers is very rewarding.
Rewarding Job
Police Officer II (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 3, 2012
Worked patrol my entire career, with loans to Gang Unit and to Detectives. Also worked Traffic Investigations. Handled hundreds of Burglary Investigations.
Best job ever
Senior Clerk Typist, Police Service Representative (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 20, 2012
Pros: job security
Cons: hard commute if you don't live in la
Awesome 15 years spent at LAPD. So much opportunity for advancement, transfers, and flexible hours.
Very great career
Police Officer (II), Completed Probation (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 11, 2012
It's amazing and very interesting. A job with the LAPD is intense and prepares a person for the unexpected.
LAPD Explorer
Per Hour/ Volunteer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2012
I have learned alot from this program. The enjoyable part of this program was that we conducted real life situation drills.
Police Recruit (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2012
Pros: health benefits, work hours, retirement.
It is intense but rewarding if you complete the Academy. There are multiple opportunities available to one once your done with probation.
Your own boss!
Police Sergeant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 12, 2011
Pros: a team of folks that like what they do.
Cons: you can start to take the job personally.
As a Police Officer you can make or break your own day. As a Police Sergeant your job is to guide those that are on the streets. I worked many GREAT assignments that I have impacted my life in many ways.