Los Angeles Superior Court Employee Reviews

It's busy, makes me proactive and organized. Management isn't supportive of ideas and people's back-biting undermines the family bond that I so enjoy.
Court Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CASeptember 27, 2017
Pros
raffles
interesting place to work
Student Professional Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 25, 2017
Everyine gets assigned to different department. There were no set daily tasks. Managament is instructive and helpful when needed. You meet interesting people and staff. Everyine is serious and focused. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye when the assignment was over.
Pros
Lonng lunch breaks, flexible tasks
Cons
temporary position
Los Angeles Superior Court
Courtroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2017
Excellent place to work at long term. There are great medial benefits, vacation pay, holiday pay etc. I enjoyed my time there and only left due to a relocation.
Great and very helpful staff with a great manager
PROFESSIONAL STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 4, 2017
Very nice and friendly staff, organized management with a great attitude to all staff. You can learn a lot from working in the court. I completed an internship with the Los Angeles Superior Court, Central District. I was able to observe the inner workings of the court system.
Working with judges
Criminal Courts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 8, 2017
I had to relate to and work with hundreds of Superior Court judges during my career. On a professional level, under the direction of the Supervising Judges, I assigned downtown judges all of their work. I had to relate to judges who did more than their share of work as well as those who did not.

I sat on all criminal court judicial committees. My typical day at work was assuring that all defendants were given their speedy trial rights under the Constitution.

I believe I would be a valuable mock juror if such position were available.
Productive place with great management
Extern to the Honorable Honorable Laura Walton (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAApril 2, 2017
Smoothly run Superior Court Branch with a sense of family and efficiency. All employees are respectful and the judges run their courtrooms considerate of everyone, without being overbearing.
Loved my experience!!!
Judicial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAMarch 2, 2017
This was my career job since I worked there over twenty years. I enjoyed my career!!! I was not stagnant in the lower positions; I worked my way up to working in the courtroom. I left in 2008 so I am not sure of the current environment, but my time spent there was rewarding.
Pros
The compensation
Cons
The "court" environment can weigh on you.
Overall Positive Experience
Law Clerk to the Honorable Judge William Ryan (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 7, 2017
Drastically improved my legal writing skills and learned about the post-conviction appeals process. Would recommend for any law student looking to gain experience with judicial writing.
Presiding Judge's Secretary
Judicial Secretary (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 14, 2016
As Secretary to the Presiding Judge, flexibility was the key. It was the ability to multitask which made my job successful. The duties entailed keeping the Presiding Judge organized, maintaining a daily calendar and reviewing said calendar with the judge prior to our day ending. It was conversing with unhappy litigants as well as helping the judge to resolve internal administrative employee and judicial problems. The Presiding Judge secretary is relied upon to draft daily correspondence such as litigant complaint memos, court orders, taking the initiative to locate various files which the judge needed to refer to prior to signing the drafted documents. The most challenging was working with the Managing Judge of the Juvenile Court and maintaining this huge database entitled, "THINK TANK." The judge would be totally lost without the secretary keeping the database updated. Throughout my career with the Los Angeles Municipal and Superior Court, I can say I gained so much legal knowledge, how to be loyal, how to maintain confidentiality, the importance of keeping organized and the importance of maintaining a rapport with the various judicial personalities.
Pros
Always busy, acquiring so much knowledge, gaining lasting friends.
Cons
The more knowledge exhibited, the more duties given. Witnessing others making the same salary but not carrying their load.
This was a temporary job assignment.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 30, 2016
Completed the archive needs of the court house files from the criminal division.

The criminal justice system is challenged with processes that needs to be improved by the new technology methods.

Dedicated members to the courts.

Not being able to be a permanent staff member.

Being involved with a very important process within our society.
Pros
Learning about the processes in the criminal court system.
Cons
Not being a permanent staff member.
Good company to grow and retire from
Court Services Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 13, 2016
One could actually start at this company as a student worker, and grow to have a career and eventually retire. They offer good benefits; and they honor all national holidays. There is a lot of politics going on here, but it is a good place to work.
Pros
opportunity for growth
Cons
inner office politics
Helping those in the greater los angeles area solve their issues
Civil Harassment/Small Claims Mediator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day at work includes interactions with everyone from the 1% to the 99%, all of which are trying to solve similar issues. I learned that everyone's problems are valid in one way or another and that people simply want their voices to be heard. the hardest part of the job is remaining neutral. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing parties that were enemies when they walked into the courthouse, walk out together conversing with one another.
Los Angeles Superior Court
GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 4, 2015
i was a general clerk i deliver filles and documents also insert tickets into the computer and also directing the lines and helping customers
I enjoyed knowing I had a permanent job
Court Service Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 30, 2015
A typical day was Answering telephones, Data Entry, processing traffic citations, Customer service and working as a Team player with my co-workers. I assisted in the Courtrooms when needed and sometimes supervised other employees.
Pros
Job Stability and benefits
Cons
When the Computers were down
Workflow is inefficient and requires new program
Judicial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monterey ParkAugust 18, 2015
Good for entry into public sector career. Lacks mentoring and support for all but a selected few to advance into management positions.
Pros
Long lunches and extra holidays
Cons
Advancement is limited
good place to work.
Ann Jopling, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2015
Great place to work despite the cutbacks. The court system offers many free services to conflicted parents.
I have worked for seventeen years and have had good training and excellent pay.
Great!
Legal Extern - Self-Help Resource Center (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2015
Typically the resource center gets about 200-300 people a day! It is very beneficial to the individuals who can not afford an attorney.
Decent learning environment
Judicial Extern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2015
Watching the judges and assisting on minor tasks. Relatively interesting learning but not much work product required, if at all. Sort of a mill for students to go in and out of.
fun workplace
File Clerk (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 21, 2015
This site was some where were I was given the opportunity to volunteer, I accomplish the requirements and will do extra volunteer tasks. They like how I would work. Even though I was just volunteering I did my best to accomplish all requirements.
I Stayed For The Benefits
Judicial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 13, 2015
The above statement says it all. Great benefits but thanks to budget cuts and layoffs you're overloaded with work you can't possibly finish while management is on social media & making weekend plans. If you don't kiss butt you'll never move up and if you actually know the law and court procedures you probably won't move up either. I think lack of knowledge must be a prerequisite to being promoted to manager or supervisor.

If you qualify for a promotion you're scared to move up due to layoffs and the way they determine seniority. In a nutshell, the Superior Court is a complete mess! So glad I resigned.
Pros
Great benefits, good hours
Cons
Little to no training, unprofessional staff, no job security