Los Angeles Superior Court Employee Reviews

Good company to grow and retire from
Court Services Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 13, 2016
One could actually start at this company as a student worker, and grow to have a career and eventually retire. They offer good benefits; and they honor all national holidays. There is a lot of politics going on here, but it is a good place to work.
Pros
opportunity for growth
Cons
inner office politics
Presiding Judge's Secretary
Judicial Secretary (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 14, 2016
As Secretary to the Presiding Judge, flexibility was the key. It was the ability to multitask which made my job successful. The duties entailed keeping the Presiding Judge organized, maintaining a daily calendar and reviewing said calendar with the judge prior to our day ending. It was conversing with unhappy litigants as well as helping the judge to resolve internal administrative employee and judicial problems. The Presiding Judge secretary is relied upon to draft daily correspondence such as litigant complaint memos, court orders, taking the initiative to locate various files which the judge needed to refer to prior to signing the drafted documents. The most challenging was working with the Managing Judge of the Juvenile Court and maintaining this huge database entitled, "THINK TANK." The judge would be totally lost without the secretary keeping the database updated. Throughout my career with the Los Angeles Municipal and Superior Court, I can say I gained so much legal knowledge, how to be loyal, how to maintain confidentiality, the importance of keeping organized and the importance of maintaining a rapport with the various judicial personalities.
Pros
Always busy, acquiring so much knowledge, gaining lasting friends.
Cons
The more knowledge exhibited, the more duties given. Witnessing others making the same salary but not carrying their load.
This was a temporary job assignment.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 30, 2016
Completed the archive needs of the court house files from the criminal division.

The criminal justice system is challenged with processes that needs to be improved by the new technology methods.

Dedicated members to the courts.

Not being able to be a permanent staff member.

Being involved with a very important process within our society.
Pros
Learning about the processes in the criminal court system.
Cons
Not being a permanent staff member.
I Stayed For The Benefits
Judicial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 13, 2015
The above statement says it all. Great benefits but thanks to budget cuts and layoffs you're overloaded with work you can't possibly finish while management is on social media & making weekend plans. If you don't kiss butt you'll never move up and if you actually know the law and court procedures you probably won't move up either. I think lack of knowledge must be a prerequisite to being promoted to manager or supervisor.

If you qualify for a promotion you're scared to move up due to layoffs and the way they determine seniority. In a nutshell, the Superior Court is a complete mess! So glad I resigned.
Pros
Great benefits, good hours
Cons
Little to no training, unprofessional staff, no job security
Helping those in the greater los angeles area solve their issues
Civil Harassment/Small Claims Mediator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day at work includes interactions with everyone from the 1% to the 99%, all of which are trying to solve similar issues. I learned that everyone's problems are valid in one way or another and that people simply want their voices to be heard. the hardest part of the job is remaining neutral. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing parties that were enemies when they walked into the courthouse, walk out together conversing with one another.
Acquired much knowledge working for the Los Angeles Superior Court
Judicial Assistant / Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2015
A typical days work consisted of working and managing sometimes 2 to 3 Courtrooms due to Court layoffs. I learned and acquired the knowledge that made it possible for me to run and manage Courtrooms all over the Los Angeles County. I had the opportunity to work as Supervising Management in the Civil Division at the Long Beach Superior Courthouse. Being knowledgeable in the area of management helped me to work with the management team that Supervised the Judicial Assistants/Personal Assistants. I remained knowledgeable and friendly with fellow co-workers always willing to lend a hand and offer advice when needed. The hardest part of my job was having to work through breaks and lunch to prepare necessary verdicts and exhibits for various jury trials. The most enjoyable thing about my job was the knowledge that was attained on a daily basis, and being able to work with different kinds of people from all walks of life.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits.
Cons
Having to work through breaks and lunch because the judge works through the cases
Workflow is inefficient and requires new program
Judicial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monterey ParkAugust 18, 2015
Good for entry into public sector career. Lacks mentoring and support for all but a selected few to advance into management positions.
Pros
Long lunches and extra holidays
Cons
Advancement is limited
You have to like what you do to enjoy your job
Court Service Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 18, 2014
I enjoyed working for the court. My only issue was being laid off multiple times, shifted to part time work and being transferred so far away from home. Advancement is usually all about a test. If you can past the test you can advance. When testing comes around there are usually hundreds of applicants. I loved my job because I loved helping the many variety of people and turning negative situations to positive ones.
Pros
Great benefits package, supervisors always backed up employees
Cons
Being laid off
I enjoyed knowing I had a permanent job
Court Service Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 30, 2015
A typical day was Answering telephones, Data Entry, processing traffic citations, Customer service and working as a Team player with my co-workers. I assisted in the Courtrooms when needed and sometimes supervised other employees.
Pros
Job Stability and benefits
Cons
When the Computers were down
Great job for advancement and security
Judicial Assistant/Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAMay 16, 2012
I have worked here for 21 years and very happy, but I am ready to start my second career as a criminal attorney.
Pros
great security, benefits, and advancement
Cons
state budget
Helping others through legal difficulties
Traffic Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2014
A typical day at work consists of: cashier handling, informing customers, processing documents and preparing paperwork. I have learned how to be patient, open minded and an effective communicator. My coworkers stay to themselves but we partner together daily. The hardest part about my job is relaying information to customers that will cause anger. The most enjoyable part about my job is informing customers of their rights and the procedures of the court.
Pros
Team orientation, open communication, Holiday pay
Cons
lack of advancement
A typical day
Courtroom assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 6, 2012
What I love most about my current job is the amount of responsibility and ability to produce a product with the knowledge that I can be trusted to perform without supervision and get the work completed timely. If I ever need assistance or have a question there is a supervisor to call. My co-workers are great and mostly work as a team. The hardest part of my job is preparing in the morning so my Judge can take the bench. It is challenging because I have lines of people checking in, phones ringing for questions and late calls and preparing the calendar in proper order processing documents submitted prior to a customers hearing. It is stressful to complete this task with the amount of time I have, but when its over it's great. I keep a good pace and even though sometimes I need to work through most of my lunch it still feels like I have accomplished something great. Helping those persons who need information or just want someone to listen and give a sympathetic ear. I have learned the work that I enjoy best is the kind that allows a lot of responsibility and I love to learn new ideas on how to improve and stream line my work.
Pros
time management
Cons
dealing with rude customers
Los Angeles Superior Court
GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 4, 2015
i was a general clerk i deliver filles and documents also insert tickets into the computer and also directing the lines and helping customers
Great place to work for!
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 1, 2015
This company is outstanding! Staff and management are outstanding. Learned a lot of things from the Los Angeles Superior court.
Loved working in the hospitality field, enjoyed the ambience I was around.
Court Services Assistant II (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CAJanuary 23, 2014
Meet new people on a daily basis, learned a lot in the Sales Department, management was great, the moral in the work place was always great.
Pros
Free lunches, uniforms, good attitudes from all employees.
Very productive
Court Services Assistant III - Narcotics Desk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 15, 2014
Good job, great benefits. I loved my job. I had a chance to meet a variety of interesting people. I feel like I made an important contribution.
Pros
Nice work environment
Overall loved working there
Clerical Assistant/Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 1, 2012
The work was fairly easy as I got a hang of it all. Co-workers were nice and friendly. Managers were a little rough but overall nice.
Pros
good benefits, great pay, long lunch.
Cons
got laid off due to budget cuts.
Good experience
Court Services Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 3, 2013
I enjoyed my employment with the courts. Too bad California or our state was face budget cuts
Pros
Benefits, good people
Cons
Budget cuts
good place to work.
Ann Jopling, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2015
Great place to work despite the cutbacks. The court system offers many free services to conflicted parents.
I have worked for seventeen years and have had good training and excellent pay.
Decent learning environment
Judicial Extern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2015
Watching the judges and assisting on minor tasks. Relatively interesting learning but not much work product required, if at all. Sort of a mill for students to go in and out of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Superior Court. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4