Los Angeles Unified School District

Los Angeles Unified School District Employer Reviews

can stay busy if you make connections
Substitute teacher (Current Employee), san fernando valleyMarch 16, 2015
Must be able to manage the class. If you can finish the lesson plan, you will get call backs. The hardest part of the job is the vulnerability of teachers nowadays. the most enjoyable part of teaching as a substitute is you meet so many kids.
Rewarding but tough job
College Counselor (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2015
It is a big district and I enjoy working there. Great benefits and job security once you get in. Typical day at work would depend on what position you had. For me I was lucky to have a principal and assistant principal who are very supportive.
feeding kids is so rewarding
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2015
LAUSD was a great company with lot's of room for advancements their benefits were great company paid for us an in employee & for family
Busy, productve, enjoyable, and rewarding.
Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2015
Pros: joy of molding young mind, stable pay, good benefits, advancement opportunities
Cons: detached parents, a school system that started caring less about their employees.
Greet students, take roll and break into learning groups. After learning groups the students went to recess after recess lunchtime. Then it was my lunchtime and if needed we would have any staff meetings during this time while the assistants supervised the students. As the day goes on other subject are taught homework is given out and it is time for the students to go home. If necessary on any given day I will have informal conferences about the students progress or behavior. I also used afterschool time for any committees or events happening at the school site.
Learned that anything is possible.
Rotation of principals were nice and professional.
Coworkers different personalities, but cohesive environment.
The hardest part of my day was leaving any project I was passionate about doing because it was time to go home, and when my students graduated.
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping others to succeed.
Diversity.
HVAC Technician (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 12, 2015
The school district has many equipment and serve many minorities in Los Angeles city. I learned a lot from this job. I enjoy troubleshooting HVAC equipments.
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 10, 2015
Great place to work for and there is always room for advancement. Great place for networking especially if you plan on working in education permanently.
Very productive, challenging workplace
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: big salary, good healthcare and retirement systems
Cons: big classes, unmotivated students and unconcerned parents.
Los Angeles Unified School District has a very good working environment where people are courteous and are minding their own business at work. I learned that the more you give your best in what you do, the more fulfilled you will be in your career. I think the management are fair enough to give everyone a chance to step up. Sometimes there are misunderstandings among the staff, but it's just normal in any workplace as long as they can settle the differences in due time. The hardest part of the job is to make each and everyone of the students to do their best in order to succeed and this is the real challenge in this profession. At the same time it is the most enjoyable part of the job if you make even one among all your students to turn around from what he was before, becomes an entirely different person and succeeds in all he does before your very eyes.
The good, the bad , the ugly
Special Ed Aide (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: free breakfast, fun with kids, holidays off
Cons: waking up early monday thru fridays and not working summer
A typical day at work could sometimes be a "walk in the park" or trying "finding a needle in a hay stack". I assist special educated kids in work and as well as supervise them on the field because of their disabilities. It is easy to manage these kids but they could have their days for they have unpredictable behavior, one could be easy to maneuver and others could be a snooty teen and have an impact on others behavior. By the way the kids i take care of are middle school kids but most of the time the kids have great personality besides the fact that they have bad days, but who doesn't. Anyways i enjoy this job more than i hate it because i know i make a difference in these kids life whether it is educational or behavioral, we teach them a thing or two and make their life happier rather than the gloomy days they always have
Teachers Supporting Teachers
Science Teacher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 21, 2015
The teachers at LAUSD work extremely hard and go out of their way to do their best for their students. They go over and above what is expected of them.
Great school district
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: lack of management
Los Angeles Unified School District was a great starter job. It gave one good experience and allowed one to move to a better job with a lot of knowledge.
large urban school district
COUNSELOR/ CAREER ADVISOR (Former Employee), San Fernando, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: los angeles urban locations
Cons: large classes
good opportunity for beginner teachers to gain experience working with many low socio-economic students.
learned many teaching strategies that worked with students grades k-12th
co-workers are very helpful and professional
hardest part of the job is the many testing and assessments that the students need to take.
the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the academic growth of the students.
Loved it
Biology Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: -
Cons: -
I enjoyed the lifestyle afforded to me and my family due to choosing the field of Education. I have benefited for making the decision to become an Educator.
My Journey
Teachers Assistant (Aide1) (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 11, 2015
While working with the Los Angeles Unified School district, I've learned so much about my interest in becoming a early educations teacher. I have worked for LAUSD for over 4 years now and while doing so, I have obtained multiple child abuse training and CPR training. I have worked with multiple early education centers and have found it very easy for me to adapt to the culture of the classroom. I am overall a well rounded individual who is looking for advancement in the Child Care industry
Fast base place to work in
Human Resources Training Specialist (Current Employee), Los Angeles Unified School District, Los AngelesFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: promotion and advancement are available
Cons: cannot think out of the box
Must be a self starter to work their. Creative but willing to follow State and Federal guidelines.
Good communication skills and open to work with large diversity staff
Had to run!
Teacher of English Language Arts (Former Employee), South Gate, CAFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: decent pay great benies
Cons: corrupt and disorganized
Giant disorganized mess overflowing with scandal from the top down. Support system is frequently faulty, leaving teachers vulnerable. Loved the first couple years--great admin--but after that, it was all downhill. Rats, mice, flying roaches, unsupportive admin, oversized classrooms. 5 years and I couldn't do it anymore.
Great place to work, unfortunately not enough funding budget
Accounting Technician II (Former Employee), Los Angeles, Los Angeles CAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: great employees
Cons: insufficient funding
LAUSD is a great company to work for, but like I said not sufficient funding to keep everyone. Bosses for the most part are good, and my coworkers I pretty much get along with.
LAUSD
Facilities Attendant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: great team to work with
Cons: needed more money
I enjoyed my time at LAUSD, staff was very helpful and professional. All of my assignments were with in regulation and I had a very fair supervisor. .
LAUSD
Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Great place to start as a new teacher. If you have can deal with the red tape, you will make it. Depends on the school you are placed.
Productive Job!
Special Education Assistant/ Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 26, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant rotation for student and breaks. Every child that has special needs required the teacher and I to do research in finding the best method of learning for the student. Love working with the district.
Good For Job; College students and Young Adults
Play Ground Supervisor (Former Employee), Carson, CAJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: works well most schedules, nice co-workers
Cons: no work on weekends, winter or summer break.
So you just got to work and you have to grab a clip board and take attendance and give out snack. While also having to keep an eye on the little ones making sure they dont fight and or run around. The way to keep the peace is to have a whislte and or hand gesture to get everyones attention. The most enjoyable part of the job is coaching the sports teams; baseball, basketball and soccer.

1 2 3 4 5

About Los Angeles Unified School District

Los Angeles Unified School District's (LAUSD) mission is to believe in the equal worth and dignity of all students and is committed – Read more

Los Angeles Unified School District Salaries