Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place to work at and meet people with different ideas and perspectives
Pupil Services and Attendance Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 19, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was to be part of the administrative meeting and provide input about how we can target children with possible mental health issues and collaborated with PSW on creating a screening process.
Pros
I was out by 4:30pm latest, unless we had parent conferences
Cons
Parents were not open to allowing their children participate in counseling due to various reasons
Good part of this workplace are the colleagues.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lomita, CAJune 25, 2016
Good colleagues to work with. I loved working with the students and parents.

My partner teacher was absolutely great to work with. The most challenging part of the job was working with students who came from unstable homes and had a lot on their plates when they entered the classroom. It was a sad situation, but it was all worthwhile when I could make them feel safe and loved.

What I learned working here was that no matter what negative situation I was in , my focus is to serve the students and their parents.
Pros
Conference Period
Cons
Short lunches
Extremely busy and productive
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90017July 10, 2016
The tachers and staff are extemely helpful and polite. The most enjoyable part o fmy job was working and playing with the children. I also had a wonderful time with the staff and office employees. The hardest part of the job was coordinating with other teachers during special events. Another diffcult aspect of the job was having a consistent line of communication with the children's parents.
Pros
Plenty of time allocated to employees to rest
Cons
Did not have enough employees
I enjoyed working with the Special ED.
Special Education Trainee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2016
I would assist handicapped students with their daily needs and assisted with planning field trips.

These special children taught me how to be more patient and in spite of their handicap, they can succeed in life.

I loved assisting them because they enjoyed learning new things.

The hardest part of this position was keeping them focused.
Pros
Benefits, work schedule, and free lunches.
Cons
Off work during summer months.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 17, 2016
I have been a Substitute Teacher for the Los Angeles Unified School District for over
12 years. I have subbed at over 120 middle to high schools throughout the district.
• I implement the teacher’s lesson plans, assign students class work and homework, and
maintain classroom management with authority. My other duties are to make sure
each and every child complete their assignment in a safe classroom environment.
• At the end of school day, I would leave a complete daily report and/or evaluation to
communicate to the teacher any pertinent information resulting from the days’ events.
Pros
PE Teacher
Cons
part time, lay offs
Fun and rewarding place to work at
Staff Employee, PW (Current Employee) –  Pacoima, CAJune 6, 2016
The day starts very early in the morning at 6 am and ends at 8 am. I have learned many things by interacting and observing the kids. It is a great environment if this is your passion and wish to make a difference in their lives. It also is a great way to meet other people interested in improving and providing the best education for their students.
Pros
Working with children, implementing plans, fun activities
Cons
Waking up early
Contractor limited time frame
Wireless Network Scoping Engineer/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 15, 2016
Good overall. Leaning towards hiring contractors vs LAUSD employees. Busy day working on several projects to meet deadlines.
Speed, efficiency in meeting deadlines. Management cordial friendly relations. Cooperative Coworkers. Hardest part: meeting unexpected changes. Enjoyable: completing tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
Pros
Busy environment.
It was like a birthday every hour
Theater Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  in Los AngelesMay 17, 2016
I had the greatest job in the world. Every day we sang, acted, played, spoke, shared, did pantomime, improvisation.. I felt wanted, loved, adored, happy, all of myself. I loved the team of other theatre teachers and arts teachers that I got to share an amazing 9 years with.

The hardest part of the job was an abusive, vindictive, ex boss.
The best part was knowing that each minute, each hour, I was teaching students skills that enhanced their lives, self expression, self confidence and that I was teaching them enjoyable some thing they will and can use the rest of their lives. I smiled and laughed alot. I felt joy!
Pros
Fun
Cons
Adult Bullying administratively
A good place to teach and work with students
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 15, 2016
Very serious and professional environment in one of the most important school districts in the country. A typical day was very related to my duties as a teacher and working with students needs. I learned how to work properly in the USA. My co-workers were an asset to complete my task and help me to interrelate with colleagues and administrators. The most enjoyable part was interacting with students and the hardest part was adapting to some policies non related to the educational field.
Pros
Good benefits and Teacher trainnig
If you aren't bilingual ... then forget it !!!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
As the demographics in Los Angeles county have changed dramatically within the couple of decades, it is to the advantage of any applicant to be bilingual - Spanish speaking. As a result, finding the very best teachers takes a backseat to finding teachers who are bilingual. Classes state wide are supposed to be taught in English (which includes language assistance with ESL students), however, with so many non-English speakers in the county, the district has become more of a Spanish speaking one than an English speaking one. Per the above, there isn't as much diversity within the Los Angeles school district as there once was - i.e. 73% of the student population is Latino.
Pros
Probably a good environment for Latino students
Cons
Not a very good environment for non-Latino students
Productive and fun place to work.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 9, 2016
The most hardest part of my job is not being able to show to much affection to the kindergarten kids. The most enjoyable part of my job is the feeling of accomplishment in teaching the children new things. My typical day at work consists of me having workshops with the children, teaching them their sight words, and assisting the teacher in what she needs.
Good place to start your career; Great benefits
IT Field Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 6, 2016
Work is fun, there are many opportunities to grow and learn new things. I really enjoy my job and everyone I work with and everyone I work for. Probably the most challenging part of this job is the amount of bureaucratic red tape/ paper work you have to do to get things done. It can be annoying sometimes, but I understand it is necessary since the company is so large.
Hard working men and women in the Landcaping Dept.
Landscape Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2016
Not knowing how great a place this was I took this job for granted. I was laid off do to budget cuts in 2012 and have not been able to find a position anywhere that was as good as LAUSD landscaping department. Promoting is very difficult to come by. Many employees working well into there retirement years. Supervisors are great.
Pros
Great people. No college degree needed to work as an LAUSD landscaper.
Cons
Promotions hard to come by, Can be laid off anytime.
Job Security
School Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valley Village, CAJuly 5, 2016
Love working in education with young minds. Great working environment. Even though the school district currently suffers from budget inefficiencies and our office staff is limited I enjoy what I do. We have a very busy office and it can get frustrating at times. Knowing I might make a small difference in the life of a child make sit all worth it.
Amazing experience
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 24, 2016
Learning something new everyday was a typical day at Leo Politi Elementary.
How to listen and understand children. They have so much to say and need to be heard.
It was good to know someone was there to handle different situations.
My co-workers made such a positive impact in my life. It was very difficult leaving, knowing I was not going to work with them anymore.
The hardest part would be when you wish you could do more to help a child. Feeling completely helpless.
The most enjoyable part was making an actual difference in a childs' life. Knowing you were a part of that.
Profound opportunity for experience with so much room for growth.
Teacher Assistant, Special Education K-8th grade (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2016
Working for LAUSD for 10 years has enriched my life. Everyone has the best intentions for children and just like everywhere things will not be perfect, but all the schools I have worked at has made a significant effort to improve the school and themselves despite all the obstacles. I have learned so much from management, such as leadership, discipline organization and overall teamwork. With my co-workers, I have learned to be a teamplayer and value each and everyone of them and that we each can learn from one another. The hardest part of the job has been the challenges I faced when something new is thrown my way and having the knowledge, wit, and courage to take charge. The most enjoyable part of the job is the teaching! the children! The learning!
Schools Performance Based on Principals People Skills
Graphic Arts Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2016
I have worked at various schools over 30 years and it has been my experience that the success of a school is directly related to the principal and his relationship to the teachers and staff. The better the principal relates to the teachers and staff the better the school operates. The principals that operate as a Monarch get the less out of the entire staff. LAUSD gives too much autonomy to it's principals without adequate over-site of their practices and procedures. The principals that run into problems do so because of their corrupt control of the budget. The Principals that give staff and teachers professional respect as well as clear and concise expectations and deal with them accordingly, will always be successful.
Pros
Example:After school programs and a active after-school campus.
Cons
Principals that don't support teachers.
quiet place to work
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2016
The overall structure of where I worked is good, but would be better. A typical day consisted of document review with a cup of coffee. I learned to be detail oriented. My supervisors managed us very well. The hardest part of my job was meeting supply and demand. The most enjoyable part of my job was the ease of pressure on certain levels
Pros
job liberty to perform projects
Cons
no health benefits
Great Learning Experience
Assistant Principal of Counseling Services (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 20, 2016
The company offers great opportunities for growth and advancement. Worked with many talented devoted individuals who's main focused was on making a difference in the lives of students and, making cultural changes within the community.
Pros
Student and staff growth
Healthy and productive learning environment for children with special needs.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Pedro, CAMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at work is very active yet very fun and enjoyable. I learn about proper and effective discipline techniques to use with elementary aged students. The staff all work very closely and make a great team. I enjoy seeing everyone put their effort towards one common goal; the education of the students. The hardest part of my job is to remain patient under stressful situations; lucky for me, I know I have an amazing team who is always there to provide support, therefore I never feel overwhelmed. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing how well everyone works together. It is a very stress free environment.
Pros
Always learning something new
Cons
A bit stressful sometimes

Los Angeles Unified School District Reviews by Location