Los Angeles Unified School District

Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

Fun, exciting place to work.
School Safety Officer (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: The benefits, the pay and job security.
Cons: The time off in the summer for summer break, no pay during that time.
Dealing with students, people in general. Knowing that you are there helping someone. My co-workers and administrators and staff are great people to work around.
Great place to learn and grow
Behavior Therapist (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2015
I have been working for the district for over eight years. I have hand many experiences with changes the district has gone through. I believe the district is heading the right direction with new education materials.
Elementary Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher Elem. (Former Employee), San Fernando ValleyJune 23, 2015
This job is a like a sharp two-edged sword. It depends on how well the class has been disciplined before I ever arrived there. Most, though far from all, were poorly prepared for a visiting teacher. Many of the plans left were not well thought out. Few full time teachers contacted me to see how things were going in the my classroom. It is for reasons like these that I am changing jobs.
Good Opportunity
Library Aide (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2015
It was a great way for me to work with students, be in charge of the library and open the doors for students to explore their imaginations by reading.
LEAD CUSTODIAN
Night Buildings & Grounds Worker (Current Employee), LOS ANGELESJune 16, 2015
Pros: BENEFITS
Cons: LAY OFFS
Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming them.
•Gather and empty trash.
•Service, clean, and supply restrooms.
•Clean and polish furniture and fixtures.
•Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
•Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment.
•Make adjustments and minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing, and electrical systems.
•Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
•Steam-clean or shampoo carpets.
•Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors.
•Clean and restore building interiors damaged by fire, smoke, or water, using commercial cleaning equipment.
•Clean chimneys, flues, and connecting pipes, using power and hand tools.
•Clean laboratory equipment, such as glassware and metal instruments, using solvents, brushes, rags, and power cleaning equipment.
•Drive vehicles required to perform or travel to cleaning work, including vans, industrial trucks, or industrial vacuum cleaners.
•Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
•Monitor building security and safety by performing such tasks as locking doors after operating hours and checking electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created.
•Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks.
•Mow and trim lawns and shrubbery, using mowers and hand and power trimmers, and clear debris from grounds. – more...
•Notify managers concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems.
•Remove snow from sidewalks, driveways, and parking areas, using snowplows, snow blowers, and snow shovels, and spread snow melting chemicals.
•Requisition supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties.
•Set up, arrange, and remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, and scaffolding to prepare facilities for events such as banquets and meetings.
•Spray insecticides and fumigants to prevent insect and rodent infestation – less
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 8, 2015
Great Experience working with students to provide academic success. The hardest part is to keep students focus on school work.
Work with kids in a Middle School.
Homework Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 2, 2015
The most enjoyable par of the previous job environment was when I was helping kids with their homework. I felt useful glad I could make a difference in my community. Another great experience was positive and professional environment we maintained among co-workers, especially when we had to work as a team.
Fun place to work with small children
Special Education Teacher's Aid (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 28, 2015
Pros: great schedule, great students and teachers
Cons: Increased class size
I got students off of the school bus, potty trained some, and changed the diapers of others. I assisted special needs students with social-emotional and school readiness skills. I also helped children eat breakfast/lunch, as well as assisted children with outside play/exercise. I also helped teachers prepare for upcoming activities. My co workers were very helpful, and we had a lot of fun teaching students.
Assisted Teacher in creating and fostering a positive learning environment.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 21, 2015
L.A.U.S.D was a great experience. As a teacher's assistant, I worked with individuals and small groups and reinforce the lesson taught by the teacher. The most enjoyable part of the day, was watching the student's improve and succeed.
Not a bad job!
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Sherman Oaks, CAMay 6, 2015
Pros: children
Cons: nonw
working for LAUSD is challenging and interesting. I love working with children, My co workers are awesome. Depending on the year my supervisiors can be great or uggg. I love working with kids and helping them,
Good
School Counselor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 29, 2015
Pros: Innovative
Cons: Resistant to change
Innovative creative implemented several new programs to include the Comprehensive Counseling Program and the Behavior Intervention Program.
Enjoyed my time with LAUSD
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 28, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed my years working with the children and their families of the Los Angeles Unified School District. Even through the challenges, there were some good times, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything!
Lots of work to do but has a great opportunity to make a difference in the lives of many, many families :)
Teacher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Heathcare
Cons: Tons of paperwork with short due dates
A typical day at work includes: singing songs, reading books from the DLM curriculum, doing art projects that are teacher led as well as child led, spending two hours a.m. and p.m. in outdoor activities, helping children during lunch, nap, and restrooming. What I learned is that it is very difficult to find enough time to get everything done that needs to be done and you want to do! The only prep time is during nap time and many children don't sleep. This is definitely the hardest part of the job but the most enjoyable part of the job is all of the moments you spend with the children. Nothing beats the smiles, hugs and hilarious things you will hear in this age group!
Great co-workers and students
Community and School Based Adult Education Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Great working environment
Cons: No job security
Working with Los Angeles Unified, was wonderful the people I
worked with were dedicated , supportive , fun , and loved teaching.
My students came to school to learn and be a part of a learning
environment. The hardest part of the job was not having needed supplies sometimes. The enjoyable part of the job was interacting with co-workers and students. .
Productive and exciting classroom environments that allows one to grow and learn along with students.
Substitute Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 6, 2015
I assist with daily instruction which includes preschoolers learning their names, colors, shapes, and numbers. Also, assist in developing and planning developmentally appropriate creative activities for the weekly theme. I ensure that each preschooler has all the materials needed to allow creativity. I've learned to plan curriculum's to enhance development and learning, and how to assess the child's development and learning.
happy, productive
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee), Frank D. Lanterman High SchoolApril 6, 2015
A typical day at work consist of caring for children with special needs during school hours. I follow protocol that students need during school hours. Which consist of g-tube feedings, toileting, catherazation , breathing treatments, oral suctioning, tracheostomy care, and daily medication. I enjoy working with my co workers because I'm a team player. The hardest part of my job would be when the children are crying ,because they cant communicate what the problem is. The most enjoyable part of my job is putting a smile on the children face.
I enjoy my job.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 1, 2015
Pros: working with children
Daily I am able to work with students and help them to develop their skill toward becoming college bound student. I implement strategies that help teach and reach students. I attempt use deliveries that keep student interested in learning.
I enjoy working with special need and general education kids.
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee), There are not enough permanet position to offerMarch 24, 2015
Pros: The schedule is always Monday - Friday
Cons: Not enough hours
I've enjoy being able to provide assistance to teachers and students. The students are always a joy. Providing the educational experience is a good way to give back.
can stay busy if you make connections
Substitute teacher (Current Employee), san fernando valleyMarch 16, 2015
Must be able to manage the class. If you can finish the lesson plan, you will get call backs. The hardest part of the job is the vulnerability of teachers nowadays. the most enjoyable part of teaching as a substitute is you meet so many kids.
Rewarding but tough job
College Counselor (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2015
It is a big district and I enjoy working there. Great benefits and job security once you get in. Typical day at work would depend on what position you had. For me I was lucky to have a principal and assistant principal who are very supportive.

1 2 3 4 5

About Los Angeles Unified School District

Los Angeles Unified School District's (LAUSD) mission is to believe in the equal worth and dignity of all students and is committed – Read more

Los Angeles Unified School District Salaries