Los Angeles Unified School District

Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

I have enjoyed all my years at LAUSD..but its time to advance and have a change because i have alot to offer..
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 22, 2017
I have really enjoyed working at LAUSD for 15 years because I love my kids and my job...those preschoolers really teach you alot throughout the schhol year!! I have learned that they are people too, just in a small size, and deserve rights and respect. The culture that I work in is mostly hispanic oriented, and English and Spanish are spoken. The hardest part of the job is sometimes dealing with contradictory adults that sometimes act like preschoolers, and also when favoritism is involved among co workers and that brings unfairness...The most enjoyable part of my job is each morning that I arrive to work..the childrens greetings makes your day!!
Pros
I love my job but i know there are more opportunities outside the LAUSD
Cons
No more advancement or raises
Mismanaged
Secondary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 30, 2016
Many of the people in "management" are very knowledgable and skilled in pedagogy, and they try hard to make the students feel they are in a warm and caring environment. However many of the schools are toxic atmospheres for the employees and "management" has no idea how to treat and manage adults. The problem with education is many people who work in education can not escape the teacher part of their personality and they talk to and address colleagues like they are students. They are constantly RIF'ing teachers and other staff, and misuse what little funds they are given, the iPad fiasco, and $600 million RFK School Complex being good examples of this. If you can get some stability benefits are good. A lot also depends on your principal, a good principal can make this job tolerable, but whoever that is the people in headquarters are clueless and unrealistic.
Pros
Good medical, dental
Cons
Mismanaged, little funding, little teacher empowerment
great company
Special Ed. Trainee Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 23, 2016
once permanent you get paid holidays multiple vacations. hours are early enough to for you to be able to have a life afterward. job security. health benefits for you and dependents. medical dental vision. 403b, other retirement offered. accident insurance. overall great company.
Pros
most shifts sre between 8am-2pm
Cons
6hr shifts
It was a great learning experience
Teacher assistance (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CANovember 29, 2016
I learned to deal with all kind of situation with children and teachers. I learned to adapt to the individual needs. I created great and lasting friendships among the teachers and great working relationship with my superiors. The hardest part of the job was to finish all assignments on time. There was not enough hours in the working day to finish everything that needed to be done. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction that I was making a difference in the life on many children.
Pros
learning many teaching styles
Cons
no benefits, no pay holidays or vacation
Progress Is fulfilling!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 3, 2016
Management:
I believe management is a progressive experience.That is endless in it's discoveries. I have taken a different approached to management in the last 10+ years by submitting myself as a ever learning student to management by learning to be managed by the people and circumstances surrounding the managing environment. In a parodical evaluation, I have learned, discovered and appreciated so much more about the people and circumstances of my affiliation that not only makes management more applicable and natural but also make it more receptive and even appreciated in many cases.
Pros
Build a supporting relationship amongst co-workers
Cons
non
Challenging, fun and demanding...
Heavy school bus driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 27, 2016
We need to work as a team in order to accomplish what needs to be done.
Being on time everyday is a must. It's very challenging because of the different ages and special needs of each students.
Management is very demanding due to the enormous resposability
When dealing with precious cargo(students) and parents as well.
I must say Co-workers are always helpful, and caring.
The hardest part of the job is making sure we are always safe and delivering students on time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing u can make a difference in these students life by providing a safe transportation.
As well when we have field trips.
Productive, work like: art and craft, some sports activities, and ball games.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CASeptember 27, 2016
A beginning of a day at preschool start with briefing the children with good morning, Asking ("How are you today"), circle time, songs and going over some of the letters of the ABC's. I included some movements to wake them up. Meanwhile the breakfast was ready, so we set and ate. later they were divided to groups each group at a table for art and craft, depend on the season's plan and the curriculum. When this was done, we went out for a sports' activities. I divided the class to two groups in order to do the racing/running. Soon the lunch was ready they ate. Later my teacher's assistant put the beds for them to nap for an hour or so. They had snack, then each group had to do some math's games on the table, when they finished they went out to the playground; for the rest of the day, and went home.

The hardest part of the job as a substitute teacher was to go from one school to another, and to travel sometime fare away.

My teachers' assistant were nice and helpful ,we got along fine, and were happy to work with me.

I enjoy working with kids, it's fun to play, teach, read,dance with them to see their process of learning, and how they become responsible for them selves.

I learned how to assimilate and to work with people of different perspectives, languages, and culture which included; songs, foods dance clothes, etc..
Pros
Children get to eat two healthy meals a day.
Cons
I couldn't get health benefits unless i head full months of substitute days.
If you have the passion of teaching, this is the spot
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  North Hills, CAJanuary 6, 2017
Once I stepped into those doors, I would forget about life outside work. Kids can be fun yet a little exhausting. Overall, I love being part of the children's daily lives. There is a curriculum to follow and regulations. Benefits are great. Staff can be a little bit of the challenge but working with people there will always be challenges.
Best job ever!
Instructional Aide/Supervision/Campus Aide (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAJuly 26, 2016
I love working in a school environment. I have worked in office environments for over 15 years until I was laid off. Accidently fell into this position at school and I have loved every minute of it. No day is ever the same. The one thing you do need is lots of patience. This job is very rewarding. Kids are very creative when you allow them to do and think for themselves. It can also be challenging reaching some kids that are on a borderline and trying to get them past that plateau. I never wake up saying "I don't want to go to work". Added benefit is that kids keep you young. You are always current with the social media and lingo. The staff I work with is great, caring, supportive, dedicated. The office staff and Principal are the hardest working group I have ever worked with.
Pros
No day is ever the same
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
High Turnover Employer
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 21, 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job is the lack of supervision, yet that is what makes the job difficult. Moreover, district administrators come in to observe classes. Teachers quit mid-semester. Typical day at work is a losing battle. Miraculous when students do not defy teachers. Disruptions in almost every other class. Administrators let students off without discipline. No regard for rules from students. Coworkers and staff undermine each other's authority. Classroom management is the most difficult aspect of the job. Parents do not cooperate or are not involved in education planning. Even less so with discipline.
Pros
no supervision, only during district observations
Cons
high turnover, low pay for highly credentialed staff, low happiness, burnout, coworkers
Overall ok place to work at
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Job advancement is minimal.Depending on your job title pay rate does not change at all even after being there several years. The pay rate you start is the same pay rate you end.
The Most Important Work
Mathematics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 3, 2016
In a typical day, expect to instruct 30-45 students per class for 5 periods, run copies and attend meetings for 1 period, and spend 3-4 hours after school grading, planning, contacting parents, and buying materials.

Co-workers tend to be the kind of people who want to be teachers--kind, compassionate, fiercely intelligent. I rather enjoyed problem-solving with colleagues about how to approach a lesson or how to structure interactions in the classroom. Unfortunately, there just wasn't much time to do this often.

The most enjoyable part of the job is structuring a lesson well and seeing students respond positively during the lesson and assessing them later to see that they really understood and enjoyed it. Moreover, developing relationships with students often gives insight into the human condition, and it an feel incredibly fulfilling to step into the role of mentor/confidant for a student who is going through a hard time.

The hardest part of the job was achieving a livable work-life balance.

I valued this experience greatly because I learned deeply about myself. I learned that despite the best intentions, I don't work well in environments with high energy and lots of people in the room where I have to "put on a show." I work much better problem-solving with a few peers, resolving issues with thoughtful discussion.
Pros
Comprehensive benefits
Cons
Very low pay, long hours, persistently in performance mode
Unsupportive and oppressive work culture
Main St. Elementary School Teacher/Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 29, 2016
I taught multiple subjects for various grade levels.
I learned how scripted education is; not much room for creativity and independence.
Management was constantly criticizing and provided very little constructive feedback.
Great benefits
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Love the benefits for the family. The school I work at is like working with family. I don't like that they give us a hard time about overtime. I mean, it's not my fault this went after hours.
Cons
Too many of days
Managers need no bullying training
Senior Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  main street elementaryFebruary 10, 2017
Some managers are not nice
There is bullying in kitchens. I love the kids and I believe they should be treated better. I resigned because of the behavior and conduct
Pros
benefits great
Cons
hard physically
Great job!
Substitute Teacher Grades K-12 (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 5, 2017
I have to work with many students from various international backgrounds improvising lessons in multi-subjects in Central, South, East , and South Bay Los Angeles. I am responsible for carrying out the lesson plans of teachers and staff at different and permanent assignments daily. I am responsible for the safety of all students on campus. I am engaged with all administrators and security staff on a daily basis. I must communicate with different departments on the status of students behavior attendance and location as well as parents and guardians.
My work has been very rewarding and at times challenging but the fun I have had in meeting and working with students and professional educators , staff , and administration is priceless. The parts of this wonderful city that I have been able to visit and interact with the communities is an experience that I doubt can be easily duplicated in many fields.
Pros
Incredible flexibility, Great Healthcare Chance to meet new people!
Cons
Never in one place for long! But that is still fun!
Productive work place
Heavy Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 10, 2017
Everyday is different. I have learned a lot working with kids. Management is cool and your coworkers can be at times. The hardest part of the job is the traffic and the heavy traffic in bad weather conditions.
over all great organization
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 28, 2016
Loved working in the classroom with students well equipped and organized teachers and other staff very willing and eager to help the the students needs a fun place to work and see the student thrive
Pros
Excellent benefits and pay
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours
Glad I went to law school
Classroom and Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 5, 2017
I'm transitioning so I don't have positive things to say. Glad I went to law school so I have to tell with bad kids anymore. If you want to be a teacher, has great benefits.
Good job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2017
good job , great retirement, paid holidays and vacation, food parties, a lot of overtime hours, stable position, paid on time. made great friends their.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
custodians do more than their work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Los Angeles Unified School District Reviews by Location