Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

Great Learning Experience
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Field trips
3 hr work day , worked on playground and classroom, field trips.
Learned the best methods in dealing with diverse environments.
Management was available for critical yet fair assessment.
Hardest part of the job was only part-time with no benefits.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with children.
Teaching
teacher and substitute teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 18, 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day when it comes to working with children because they are unpredictable but that is what makes this job so eventful, challenging and enjoyable. Every day is a learning experience when dealing with young developing minds and personalities. Working for such a large district, it's hard to get to know management. My colleagues are very supportive and willing to help at any time. The hardest part about the job is keeping up with the changes brought forth by the government. I enjoy teaching the youth of today, so that will be ready for the challenges of tomorrow.
Each day is eventful and never the same.
School nurse (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits.
Cons: Limited advancement opportunities.
LAUSD has excellent benefits secondary to union involvement. The work sites could sometimes be frustrating secondary to lack of office equipment and /or spanish interpreters. The hours and days are excelletnfor young mothers with children. I liked making a difference in the lives o.f children so that they could function at their very best.
. There were very little opportunities for advancement
Excellent parent education programs
Community Representative (Bilingual Eng/Span.) (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 12, 2015
Good school administrators and staff; great parents, community, and district administration.

Recruiting of parents was the hardest part of the job.

Once the recruited parents participated in the programs, they were very appreciative of the programs and eager to learn and were willing to participate in future programs to help their children succeed.
lovable place
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2015
Pros: vacation, absence, personal pay
Cons: n/a
I will get to enjoy every moment of a child from child care to high school. different children with different disabilities I have much patience to understand every child in different ways. I'm always passionate about my jobs. great teachers and staff.
Great!
Special Education Aide & Textbook Supervisor (Current Employee), Los AngelesAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule, great working experience
Cons: Always busy
I love working with kids and for public education. Best decision I have ever made. It's a great opportunity to broaden and build up your working experience as a college student.
Over all LAUSD is agood place to work if you like children and the opportunity to work in education plus teach health.
School nurse (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Weekend and summers off.
Cons: Very seldom got to take yor ten minute break.
A typical day was always full of surprises but very busy. Due to a decrease in funding the job had become laborious due to unavailability of sufficient computer equipment and language interpreters. I learned so much about different nationalities and cultures by working closely with them. I also learned that our mental health system needs a complete haul over. The day included frequent collaorations with other health diciplines and parents as well. Health education was provided to staff, parents and students as well.
Sometimes management was questionable but you continued to do your job as best as you can. The hardest part of the job was the follow-up of diabetics which often entailed interrupting whatever you were in the midst of to relocate at another site to provide insulin coverage. Frequently it was on short notice. It did not matter what you were in the midst of, be it vision or scolioss screening to relocate to another site to provide insulin coverage. Often, the site you were needed at was on the other side of town. A few of our nurses had car accidents trying to reach thse sites. There are several instances that made my job most enjoyable including: when I could help a student and his parents when no other help had been available. Sometime I found that a child had a diagnosis that had been inadvertenly over-looked, referred them out for follow-up. Also when a child presented with certain symptoms and was able to refer them to the proper health source ultimately getting a proper diagnosis. Lastly, when I gave a child patient teaching regarding his health wether it was asthma or diabetes and you saw that that light of recognition in their eyes it sealed my decision to become a nurse even moreso.
good place to work
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 5, 2015
Pros: The confidence in the childrens faces when they acheive their Goals
Cons: Sometimes lack of support from administration
I am working with children helping them with basic school needs as well as establishing their independence. I assist in making sure the children are in a safe and productive environment.
Taught Dental Assisting Courses for 19 years
Instructor of Dental Assisting (Former Employee), Los Angeles CaliforniaAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed working with students and making a difference in their lives.
Cons: was forced into retirement, with no medical or dental coverage
Taught a dynamic and comprehensive dental assisting course.
Pay meticulous attention to relaying pertinent information about current dental standards.
Adhere to current guidelines within the dental assisting field to best prepare students for the clinical environment.
Maintain consistent teaching techniques to ensure high students success rates for employment within the dental community.
Fun place with thought provoking activities
teacher, director, coordinator (Former Employee), Dana Middle School, San Pedro, CAAugust 1, 2015
Pros: There was support in funding the shows, and activities.
Cons: Management was difficult at times depending on the administration.
I taught 5 courses with rehearsals after school. Young creative minds are never dull and my co-workers were enjoyable.
School Physical Therapist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Good medical, dental, vision benefits & pension plan.
Cons: Vacations are set within the school calendar.
Good place to work. Team work between teachers, OT, PT, SLP, student assistants. Hardest part of the job is when the student has behavioral or emotional issues that restrict or delay progress. Supportive management. Develops good critical thinking and how to be resourceful in treatment and intervention.
Office Technican, Community Rep (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2015
Everyday is different. New challenges, assignments, etc.
The most enjoyable part of my job is to accomplish, and make things happen with a positive outcome.
visited school assigned to me to make sure they were functioning adequately, than making notes on what services the schools needed to perform better.
Staff Liaison to school board member (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: supervisor trust, flexibility, great pay, inspirational, multicultural experience
Cons: not being able to attend board meeting to add positive input
A typical day at work consisted of opening office, reviewing phone message and entering data from previous reports taken. I learned how to listen and respond when necessary when in meeting with higher administration. I learned how to work as a team and be able to perform other jobs when a staff member is absent. The hardest part was your input not being taken seriously. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the community, students and parents with the tools needed to help them understand what it was for their child too succeed in school.
Great Job
Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2015
This is a great job to have, but a horrible burden to keep for ever. The life expectancy of a teaching career is 3 years. The pay, lack of respect, and poor administration while being a public school teacher are all reasons I left and went back to school. LAUSD is poorly run in my opinion.
Special aide assistant
Special Aid assistant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Great time with special aide students
Cons: drain energy
being a special aide assistant give an opportunity to see life in a different way that include appreciation of all blessing we don't pat attention to observe it.
Diverse and Rich Culture
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2015
Teaching at a low income high school has been a very rewarding experience. I deal with all different cultures, which has enriched my life and made me want to try harder to help these students possibly become the first in their families to finish high school or college. It has also introduced me to like-minded teachers and administrators; people whose first goal is to help. The most difficult thing I have had to do is try and get the some of the parents to become involved because many of them work two jobs or more to support their families, but it is so gratifying when I can reach students who might not otherwise have put forth the effort to graduate, or have given up, and get them to achieve their goals.
fun !
Substitute after school playground supervisor (Former Employee), Gardena caJuly 12, 2015
I loved this job , kids are my passion, supervising them on the play ground, helping with homework, starting projects, dance art and drama is what i do when i work there .
It was a cool temp job
Custodian (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: the pay
Cons: it was only a temp job
It was great working at a high school fresh out of high school. I met some really great people working here. I also learned to work hard and finish everything you start at this job. When it was time for me to leave I left with so much confidence.
Very reputable company pleasure to work for
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Very good benefits
Prepared work station for daily routine. Distributed & consolidated mail distribution for delivery. drove company van delivering mail on a scheduled route. Interaction with co-workers & public was satisfactorily serviced based. Management was pro active regarding employees. Intensive & production driven stock work with quality results. Satisfaction in supplying quality work on a regular basis.
Fun, exciting place to work.
School Safety Officer (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: The benefits, the pay and job security.
Cons: The time off in the summer for summer break, no pay during that time.
Dealing with students, people in general. Knowing that you are there helping someone. My co-workers and administrators and staff are great people to work around.