Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

A typical day
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harbor City, CANovember 15, 2017
During a typical day in the high school setting consisted of clocking in, checking your mail box, collect attendance rosters, then run to the classroom and prepare for student arrival.
Extensive teaching would start until the end of the day. Homework was issued, class assignments were graded and final grades are issued.
Pros
Cons
dealing with parents
Bilingual Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 13, 2017
Great place to work. Learned a lot and felt appreciated. The staff, parents and students are fun and a community environment. I miss The school district and appreciate the experience I acquired.
Pros
Good hours, holidays
Regular payment, health benefits, Summer vacation
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 13, 2017
The payroll system is very efficient, though employees are paid on the 5th of the month, the payments are always regular and accurate, and the direct deposit system works very well. The heath benefits are one of a kind covering medical, dental, and vision. The district also provide a unique program of IT assistance.
Secured position
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2017
Job security plenty upward mobility opprotunities
Highly recommended for entry level position that could result to upper management, flexible schedules,
good benifits as assistant
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reseda, CANovember 10, 2017
Classroom placements happen regardless of abilities or preference. Some classes are more stressful than others with extreme emphasis on behavior management.
Pros
good hourly pay and benefits
Cons
stressful environment
This was a typical elementary schoo in Los Angeles
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  El Sereno , Los Angeles CaliforniaNovember 9, 2017
The school is adequately supplied. The classrooms are very large and working hours were very fair. Staff were allowed personal days and given insurance and automatically represented by a union. The staff got all American public holidays off as well as 2 months for the summer.
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Starting salary
It's all for the kids
On-Site Technical Support/Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 5, 2017
I am a teachers assistant in charge of the computer lab and as such manage the entire schools technology. I troubleshoot issues and fix all I can for the school. I try my best to give these kids the technology they need to have a fruitful learning experience.
Wonderful learning experiences.
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 4, 2017
I loved my job and I did my job with such pride. It was very stressful and exhausting. You had wonderful years where things flowed very well and others where you needed that extra push to keep you going. Above all, we are a great team and work hard to better the lives of the children.
Pros
Great job!!
Cons
Travel was too long and no work during the summer.
Working for LAUSD was one of the highlights of my life.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Central, Woodland Hills, East Los AngelesNovember 2, 2017
I was forced to retire from LAUSD after 30 years because of budget
cuts that closed the Adult Education Division. Working there was one of the highlights of my life. I made many academic friends and contacts.

Over this 30 year period, I was assigned to many school sites throughout the district. I learned how to process the enrolling student, assess student academic needs, and provide the necessary documentation.

I enjoyed providing Basic Education, Literacy, and Employment Preparation to countless adult and high school students . It was rewarding to watch them grow in knowledge and application and achieve their goals. Seeing adults read for the first time was outstanding.

LAUSD gave me the time, tools and training to effectively teach students from all walks of life and ethnic backgrounds. I was able to help them move to higher learning, obtain a GED, get a job or promotion.
Pros
Freedom to conduct your classes. Many school holidays. Ongoing training, Short work hours.
Cons
Always a need for supplies.
Great Place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CAOctober 27, 2017
Great place to work. Not easy to get in but and once you start as a sub teacher you have to build up a list of schools that will call you. You must actively reach out to schools to be called.
Fast pace job
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 25, 2017
I was an food service worker with LAUSD, it was so fast pace but something that can be maintained, however if you had great management behind you. The workers are very competitive.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
fast pace
Experience would have been a plus
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 20, 2017
I was fresh out of college when I got this job. I knew I wanted to work with kids in some capacity, and even though I had worked with kids while I was a student at USC, I truthfully took this job because I didnt investigate what other options were out there and sort of ran out of time, and this seemed like the easy choice. Being a teacher at a public elementary school is not easy, and especially if you have no prior teaching experience in this specific setting. I would recommend being a teacher's aide first so you can get your feet wet and see if its really what you want to do, and find a good mentor.
Pros
good pay
Cons
taking work home all the time
Lausd
Assist in training and management of new employees (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 19, 2017
i was working with lausd for a long time. I was an after school teacher and managed a class with 20-25 kids. and also i had to have work assignments and activities ready for the children. i w as a great place to work at. for a part time.
Good:)
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 18, 2017
LAUSD is the 2nd largest school district in the country and serves a variety of diverse communities. I find the job to be challenging at moments, but tremendously rewarding.
Productive and fun to be with the students
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2017
A typical day at work require putting students first. I have learn with students you set boundaries and rules. I managed students on a daily. However, our work place culture is mixed and education is generated everyday and we fully encourage students to earn good grades and it will pay off. Next, the hardest part is when the students are disrespectful to there peers and to staff. Last, the most enjoyable part of my job is to see student walk across the stage to graduate for high school.
Pros
Free Lunches for students with low income
Cons
No paid overtime work available
It’s ok
Job Developer/Case Manager/Behavior Intervention (Current Employee) –  Reseda, CAOctober 16, 2017
Been bumped many times in last 10 years and it has hurt my moral and many other employees as well. I still want to make a difference but would like to have better wage and more opportunities for advancement.
Overall good place to work
SQL / BI Developer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 16, 2017
This is a truly great company. The culture is very open and very results oriented. This growing company requires a high degree of initiative from its managers and bases its decisions on performance.
It's a well known company
Substitute Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 16, 2017
Based on my experience as a substitute, didn't get the benefits that this company provides to its employees. My experience wasn't long enough due to deployment.
Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAOctober 13, 2017
While under the supervision of the classroom teacher I had the opportunity to work with elementary level students in small group settings. a typical day at work included yard supervision and supervision during meal times. I enjoy working with English language learners as well as special education students.
Pros
able to use my art skills to make colorful bulletin boards
Cons
low pay, no benefits
Friendly staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 13, 2017
Any day having an impact on future generations is a good thing. Upper management is disengaged from actual issues facing the classroom culture. Decisions are made without input from teachers.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Horrible Upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.