Los Angeles Unified School District

Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

great company
Special Ed. Trainee Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 23, 2016
once permanent you get paid holidays multiple vacations. hours are early enough to for you to be able to have a life afterward. job security. health benefits for you and dependents. medical dental vision. 403b, other retirement offered. accident insurance. overall great company.
Pros
most shifts sre between 8am-2pm
Cons
6hr shifts
Most productive place to work for
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2016
For aspiring teachers and school related workers, this district is for you. Enabling the employee to self educate and rise higher semester after semester through higher education institutions is the best way to move up within the company.
Gratifying and
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 15, 2016
The enjoyable part of the job is seeing what an impact you have on children. How much they learn from you and admire you. Some of the children you work with come from a rough background and it is up to you make education a fun thing for them. You coworkers are your mentors and venting sessions. You work closely and become family. The most difficult part of the job is realizing that some children lose interest in learning because their home environment affects them.
Pros
working with children and their families.
Cons
unemployed during the summer
Challenging yet rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2016
Working for the Los Angeles School District has been a rewarding experience. I love working with children and the appreciate the work you do with them.
Upbeat atmosphere
Teacher Assistant /Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2016
I had a wonderful time working for LAUSD. My co-workers became like a real family to me. We are were very close and stuck together as a team. I enjoyed being around the children and seeing their faces everyday. I was joyed to go into work everyday
great job district questionable
Program worker (Former Employee) –  South Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2016
Great company but the employers in charge are unprofessional and lack communication. the pay is twice a month which is alittle hard to deal with in a tough to live in city like Los Angeles.
Didn't work here very long
Assisted supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 7, 2016
great benefits and of course they always have good pay. flexible on schedule but they offer tons of vacation time off.........
Strong Team - Dedicated and Effective
Principal (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 7, 2016
As a leader it is important to maintain balance, focus and perspective. Working within and as one of a strong team is the ultimate goal of any leader. Avoiding top down dictates while instilling interactive problem solving and decision making are key to the success of any organization.
Mismanaged
Secondary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 30, 2016
Many of the people in "management" are very knowledgable and skilled in pedagogy, and they try hard to make the students feel they are in a warm and caring environment. However many of the schools are toxic atmospheres for the employees and "management" has no idea how to treat and manage adults. The problem with education is many people who work in education can not escape the teacher part of their personality and they talk to and address colleagues like they are students. They are constantly RIF'ing teachers and other staff, and misuse what little funds they are given, the iPad fiasco, and $600 million RFK School Complex being good examples of this. If you can get some stability benefits are good. A lot also depends on your principal, a good principal can make this job tolerable, but whoever that is the people in headquarters are clueless and unrealistic.
Pros
Good medical, dental
Cons
Mismanaged, little funding, little teacher empowerment
interactive but enjoyable environment
School Supervision Aide (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2016
I'd sign on my time sheet, and walk around campus. I make sure kids are in approved areas, not fighting, and being respectable to peers on campus. When needed, I assist staff with any minor tasks they'd have.
over all great organization
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 28, 2016
Loved working in the classroom with students well equipped and organized teachers and other staff very willing and eager to help the the students needs a fun place to work and see the student thrive
Pros
Excellent benefits and pay
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours
productive learning
Campus Aide (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 25, 2016
a learning facility greatly diverse, team excellent culturally advantage benefits from every prospect from employees to managers; adavantages of of jobs teaches discipline and patience
Cons
not many hours
I loved working with childen
Senior Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 24, 2016
I was there with people who was careing and we all worked together helped each other I loved the school district and I loved cooking for my life food is so good when cooked rite
Enjoyed working with the students.
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 12, 2016
I'm ready to return back to the class room where I can be a positive role model to students who are in need of some one taking little time with them and help them to be productive in school and in life.
Very fun work environment friendly co worker enjoy there well.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2016
Love my work, worked there for ten years , vey nice people there will stay for another ten years. Enjoy being with co workers have good times with them . Our supervisor is very nice to us
Pros
Bic and lunch
Cons
10 MIN BREAK
Progress Is fulfilling!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 3, 2016
Management:
I believe management is a progressive experience.That is endless in it's discoveries. I have taken a different approached to management in the last 10+ years by submitting myself as a ever learning student to management by learning to be managed by the people and circumstances surrounding the managing environment. In a parodical evaluation, I have learned, discovered and appreciated so much more about the people and circumstances of my affiliation that not only makes management more applicable and natural but also make it more receptive and even appreciated in many cases.
Pros
Build a supporting relationship amongst co-workers
Cons
non
Job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 2, 2016
Depending on assignment the on the job training is can be good. There is plenty of room to move in the company. They have positions for all experience levels to keep you ...
Challenging, fun and demanding...
Heavy school bus driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 27, 2016
We need to work as a team in order to accomplish what needs to be done.
Being on time everyday is a must. It's very challenging because of the different ages and special needs of each students.
Management is very demanding due to the enormous resposability
When dealing with precious cargo(students) and parents as well.
I must say Co-workers are always helpful, and caring.
The hardest part of the job is making sure we are always safe and delivering students on time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing u can make a difference in these students life by providing a safe transportation.
As well when we have field trips.
Productive, work like: art and craft, some sports activities, and ball games.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CASeptember 27, 2016
A beginning of a day at preschool start with briefing the children with good morning, Asking ("How are you today"), circle time, songs and going over some of the letters of the ABC's. I included some movements to wake them up. Meanwhile the breakfast was ready, so we set and ate. later they were divided to groups each group at a table for art and craft, depend on the season's plan and the curriculum. When this was done, we went out for a sports' activities. I divided the class to two groups in order to do the racing/running. Soon the lunch was ready they ate. Later my teacher's assistant put the beds for them to nap for an hour or so. They had snack, then each group had to do some math's games on the table, when they finished they went out to the playground; for the rest of the day, and went home.

The hardest part of the job as a substitute teacher was to go from one school to another, and to travel sometime fare away.

My teachers' assistant were nice and helpful ,we got along fine, and were happy to work with me.

I enjoy working with kids, it's fun to play, teach, read,dance with them to see their process of learning, and how they become responsible for them selves.

I learned how to assimilate and to work with people of different perspectives, languages, and culture which included; songs, foods dance clothes, etc..
Pros
Children get to eat two healthy meals a day.
Cons
I couldn't get health benefits unless i head full months of substitute days.
Great work environment, staff is very appreciative
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Granada Hills, CASeptember 24, 2016
That faculity and staff are nice, understanding, and appreciative. I love making a difference in the lives of the students I have learned how to manage many tasks at once while remaining calm and collected
Pros
Great pay, nice teachers, great staff
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.