Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

Friendly staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 13, 2017
Any day having an impact on future generations is a good thing. Upper management is disengaged from actual issues facing the classroom culture. Decisions are made without input from teachers.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Horrible Upper management
Fun place to work at.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 13, 2017
The typical day was very fast paced and required standing, walking, heavy lifting, lots of cleaning, and working with others. I learned about working in the kitchen and how to prepare foods and serving children. The most enjoyable part of my day was feeding the children and helping them understand why they needed to eat fruits and veggies with every meal.
Stressful and lack of group work
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 12, 2017
I enjoy working with the students. I counsel 9th-12th grade students. The best part of my day is when I can meet with the students and discuss their current and ongoing educational goals.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Micro Mangement
Confusion and too many people wanted to be the managers.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 12, 2017
I would clock in for work, wash and sanitize my hands and go into the Cafe managers office and get a list of duties for the day. I would do what was necessary to begin the day for the students. I served breakfasts, lunches and supper and snack meals to students in a timely manner.
Pros
Free lunch to 90% of the students
Cons
short breaks and some of the students had no manners or respect for staff.
Flexible
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAOctober 12, 2017
Workday starts early (7am) is structured but flexible in my position. I can move between offices or classrooms as needed. I work with middle school children, so they can be both extremely charming and extremely stressful.

During the day I either work in the offices doing filing, phone calls, and running copies, or I'm in the classroom assisting with lectures when an extra set of hands (or eyes) are needed.
Pros
flexible hours, holidays off, stable
Cons
no place to move up.
I had fun
Substitute Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2017
A typical day for me working at L.A.U.S.D. I was a Substitute Housekeeper, I would travel to different school, cleaning the classrooms, trash duties, mopping, vacuuming
Fun and busy place to work
Bilingual Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 10, 2017
I was never bored. The office was always busy. Customer service was my main responsibility and I loved it! My typical day started at 8:00 and ended by 4:30. I loved talking to customers especially the Spanish speaking parents. I loved working with simultaneous and consecutive translations.
Pros
Promotion Opportunities
Productive child centered
Parent/Community Liaison (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90001October 9, 2017
The entire staff worked as a team, it seemed more like a family than a school staff. We all supported each other and anyone would step in to assist if you needed a hand. We often got together after work. Teachers Administrators, volunteers custodal staff all worked together for the good of the students
Pros
Supportive work environment
Cons
Stressful at times
Productive and fun workplace
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 6, 2017
Aiding the teacher with classroom tasks
Activity interactions with the students
Learned how to be patients with the students.
Very enjoyable to spend the day with the kids.
Pros
fun environment, spend time with the students
Cons
Na
Sub Life
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 6, 2017
Never get bored move around often and fast paced you meet different people everyday no one day is ever the same some days you get called and other days you don't that's the life of a sub
Productive and fun
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2017
Working with children is a fun but challenging experience. You become an everyday mentor for them and have a huge impact in their development. You become a second family to them and play an important role in their future developmental skills.
Pros
Mentoring children
Cons
having to discipline children
Labor and a fun work place
Building and Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2017
Clean classroom's & restroom's & office's,building learned lead plant manager position I like the mix"s culture the hardest part of the job was the work load the good part of the job was the money & the people and room for growth.
Pros
Good benafit
Cons
Being paid on time
Not ideal
Co-Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 4, 2017
Very unstable and unorganized. Highly stressful. Not recommended. Not worth the hard knocks experience. Doesn't pay fairly. It is a corporate money making machine only.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Experience
My review
Buildings and Grounds (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 3, 2017
Need a job they're always hiring. But you do have to work. Some male plant managers make it hard for women. But you can do it, I made the mistake of not joing the union & not reporting my plant manager
Pros
Entry hour rate is great.
Cons
Employee status/benefits during probationary periods aren't explained clearly
rafael zaldate
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 1, 2017
My duties are sweep mop dust clean rest rooms vacoomcarpets shampoo carpets pick up trash dump trash clean office clean slides clean furniture streep floors wax floors dust hallways clean showrs clean inside windows clean parking lots safety at all times

Comment – October 11, 2017

Imy Experience in maintenance for twelve years in sweeping dusting moping clean restrooms vacoom shampoo carpet streeping floors waxing floors cieaning furniture cieaning classrooms picking up trsh duping trash clean hallways cleaning gym cleaning showers cleaning dining rooms cleaning students lunch areas changing lights cleaning office cleaning library cleaning lockers cleaning walls and safety at all times

Good Pay
Special Education Trainee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 1, 2017
Good place to work for good compensation. No matter which position you apply to, they all pay pretty well. Working with this company, I had a great supervisor who eventually became a very close great friend to have.
Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 27, 2017
I really enjoyed collaborating with the teachers and staff. The workplace culture was very pleasant, The staff members were very friendly, caring and supportive.
fast pace work required
Building Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CASeptember 26, 2017
to each it own. a great security life job with excellent benefits. crazy managements. you will not receive acknowledgement for your hard work. I would say the company gives pay raises and there is room to grow within the company.
Pros
paid vacations
Cons
crazy managerment
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 26, 2017
I worked as a substitute teacher for seven years. Granted the hours and compensation could have been better (we used to get paid .6 hours for conferences), and the summers were tough when classes were out of session. But mostly, I loved the flexibility of working in different classes from day-to-day.

I had many long-term positions too (great experience for those interested in teaching someday). I'd like to return to LAUSD as part of my ten year plan to teach full-time.
Pros
healthcare, benefits, working with children is rewarding
Cons
summer sessions, hourly rate
Enjoyed teaching
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 14, 2017
A typical day was planned due to the prepared lesson plans. The job was enjoyable and the staff was awesome. Administration was supportive and supportive.
Benefits
Cons
No cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.