Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

I work with answering phones and help people with paychecks
Payroll Distribution Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2017
I have learned alot for this establishment and I'm happy here. This company is more than 1500 people and I help all people that haven't received their checks.
Pros
They believe in what you do and give you encouragement
Cons
If they are cuts on budget, you might get bumped to lower position
Hard work, yet very satisfying
Teacher (Former Employee) –  North Hills, CAJuly 30, 2017
We really worked and collaborated as teams. Even though I worked under three principals, I felt heard and had time to be creative. I was able to individualize instruction because time was available to think. The hardest part of my job as a teacher with LAUSD was the outside influences that my students had to deal with at home and in the neighborhood my school was located in. The most enjoyable part was working with my students and parents. I also made life-long friends there.
Pros
Good principals, teacher relationships, teacher thinking time
Cons
Tough neighborhood sometimes hindered teaching
productive fun work place
Beyond the Bell Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 22, 2017
loved working with the youth and setting up the sports games and helping with the homework , this job thought me how to be a leader for tomorrow generation of leaders.
Working with children can change your life
Behavioral Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 22, 2017
i was a one on one behavioral interventionist
it was amazing to work for a school district
all the staff was very close and worked together
management was lenient because they lead by example
hardest part of the job was not getting paid for breaks
the most enjoyable part of the job were the children
Pros
good experience, good hours, summers and weekends off
Cons
very big district, not enough funding
Employment with this company is interesting.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2017
If you are a younger person with lots of energy and a love of helping children, this is the job for you. There is room for growth in the field of education. The start off pay is above average with a raise for the next few years after initial hire.
Good Place to Grow
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reseda, CAJuly 17, 2017
I've enjoyed working for LAUSD. It has allowed me to network and create important connections with others. Many positions available (entry level). The minimum wage is $15
Rewarding
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2017
Working with students and families can be very rewarding, depending on the school and location. Not every school is enjoyable and welcoming as others. It all just depends.
good experience
Playground Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2017
i worked with children on probation and taught them how to read and better their reading skills. I enjoyed working with children. It gave me a better understanding on how children on probation.
Pros
work was near home and experience with probation children
Cons
no benefit, not full time or part time, pay wasn't enoug
Great work environment
Special Education Teacher Assistant - Substitute (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJuly 13, 2017
Work schedule is very manageable
A great range of experience is available
Hardest part of the job is the troublesome students
Most enjoyable part of the job is helping troubled students
Los Angeles Unified School District is great school district offer to employee a lot of opportunity on your career path
Payroll Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2017
I worked at LAUSD Payroll Administration as Payroll Specialist more than 9 years.
My job duty is:
• Analyzes and maintains payroll and HR records, benefits records, using SAP applications to ensure accurate salary payment and deduction.
• Analyzes time-report information, HR assignment information, deduction information, and other documents to discern errors, determine the causes of errors, and initiate adjustment.
• Applies certificated and classified personnel regulation in determining correct payments and records, and explains them to administrator, office manager, and other employees.
Consisting of coordinating schedules efficiently so that all employees have their appropriate deductions, on time before payroll is finalized.
o Prepare various reports regarding deduction processing payroll (DPR), 403B & 457B are ran on time and coordinated with those schedules of the Payroll Processing Unit then validate and review the results from the Payroll Deductions unit against those of the Payroll Processing unit to avoid any discrepancies.
• Provide confidential employees payroll information to public agencies, credit union banks, and vendors.
• Respond post tax deduction questions from employees regarding: assignment data, time-report, retirement, garnishment, over payment, employee option life, and payroll deduction: federal tax, state tax, social security tax, state disabilities tax, and post-tax deduction

Every year we had to go training class to improve customer service skill.

Work environment was best and I was really enjoy to work on my payroll department
  more... because I learn a lot of payroll technical from my manager, supervisor, and my colleagues.  less
Pros
School District offer good health benefit package to employees
Lausd
Building and Grounds Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2017
Great district to work for good pay with required test for advancement. los Angeles county is vast with many jobs at different pay on your will to take class to advance and retire early.
ever evolving with good intentions
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2017
Ever evolving with good intentions. Every school is focused on different goals because they have different students and families. Hard working teachers and administrators.
Pros
compensation
Cons
Administration changes too often
Great for working student
Campus Aide/IT Support (Current Employee) –  Atwater, CAJuly 7, 2017
always interesting, kids always looking for help. great place to help develop young minds. serviced both lab computers as well as related Technical issues around the campus
Relaxing, Helpful, Well Organized
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 6, 2017
Working for LAUSD is very relaxing and well organized environment. Most of the people I worked with were very helpful. The teachers make you feel welcomed and are very self oriented.
A poor working environment
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Los Angeles, CAJuly 6, 2017
Pressure to socially promote students! No support for teachers for disrespectful students. Too many Special Ed students included in general classes.Poor Union support.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Administration
fullfiling
Adult Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 5, 2017
Awesonme district to work for. There is lots of professional developement and support to assist you with your carreer growth. The Administtration is professional and experienced.
Challenging but exciting
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 4, 2017
Be prepared to work with challenging populations but receive a very rewarding experience with the opportunity to positively impact many lives. Assignments include all age levels and communication can range from individual, group or family sessions.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Panorama City, CAJuly 2, 2017
This is great job if you are a college student, it provides a great work/ school balance. The hours are great and program coordinators are flexible when it comes your school schedule.
A large district with ample opportunity
Office Manager- Magnet Office (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 2, 2017
Working for the LAUSD can be both beneficial and detrimental. Within each school site, the administration has much to do with the culture of the campus and the dynamics of the relationships between all constituents. Of course the district is so large that, depending on the school, ropes are pulled in all directions so it's difficult to be in unison. So many great minds, but they don't all have the same vision.
If you happen to find yourself in a fantastic school with great individuals who collaborate, the experience can be rewarding. I happen to be at a great school with great administrative support and dynamic teachers.
Pros
Ample opportunity to grow personally and professionally
Cons
With the turn-over of administration and personnel, the dynamics is constantly changing, and not necessarily for the better of the students.
A Challenge
Itinerant Music Teacher- Elementary Vocal (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2017
Tough place for an elementary music teacher. Not a lot of support. Saw many colleagues leave or retire, and they have not been replaced. Others moved up to teach middle school or high school music, which can be a more supportive environment- if you are lucky.
Pros
Opportunity to teach
Cons
Little support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Los Angeles Unified School District Reviews by Location