Los Angeles Unified School District

Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

Good part of this workplace are the colleagues.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lomita, CAJune 25, 2016
Good colleagues to work with. I loved working with the students and parents.

My partner teacher was absolutely great to work with. The most challenging part of the job was working with students who came from unstable homes and had a lot on their plates when they entered the classroom. It was a sad situation, but it was all worthwhile when I could make them feel safe and loved.

What I learned working here was that no matter what negative situation I was in , my focus is to serve the students and their parents.
Pros
Conference Period
Cons
Short lunches
Great School
Parent Center Director/ Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 26, 2015
Was given the flexibility in my schedule. Loved working with parents and students. Boss was okay. Gave me 50% salary cut without notifying me.
Pros
worked independently
Cons
salary cuts and minimal hours
Fun place to work at and meet people with different ideas and perspectives
Pupil Services and Attendance Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 19, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was to be part of the administrative meeting and provide input about how we can target children with possible mental health issues and collaborated with PSW on creating a screening process.
Pros
I was out by 4:30pm latest, unless we had parent conferences
Cons
Parents were not open to allowing their children participate in counseling due to various reasons
Extremely busy and productive
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90017July 10, 2016
The tachers and staff are extemely helpful and polite. The most enjoyable part o fmy job was working and playing with the children. I also had a wonderful time with the staff and office employees. The hardest part of the job was coordinating with other teachers during special events. Another diffcult aspect of the job was having a consistent line of communication with the children's parents.
Pros
Plenty of time allocated to employees to rest
Cons
Did not have enough employees
It was like a birthday every hour
Theater Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  in Los AngelesMay 17, 2016
I had the greatest job in the world. Every day we sang, acted, played, spoke, shared, did pantomime, improvisation.. I felt wanted, loved, adored, happy, all of myself. I loved the team of other theatre teachers and arts teachers that I got to share an amazing 9 years with.

The hardest part of the job was an abusive, vindictive, ex boss.
The best part was knowing that each minute, each hour, I was teaching students skills that enhanced their lives, self expression, self confidence and that I was teaching them enjoyable some thing they will and can use the rest of their lives. I smiled and laughed alot. I felt joy!
Pros
Fun
Cons
Adult Bullying administratively
Each day is eventful and never the same.
School nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 17, 2015
LAUSD has excellent benefits secondary to union involvement. The work sites could sometimes be frustrating secondary to lack of office equipment and /or spanish interpreters. The hours and days are excelletnfor young mothers with children. I liked making a difference in the lives o.f children so that they could function at their very best.
. There were very little opportunities for advancement
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities.
School Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2015
Good place to work. Team work between teachers, OT, PT, SLP, student assistants. Hardest part of the job is when the student has behavioral or emotional issues that restrict or delay progress. Supportive management. Develops good critical thinking and how to be resourceful in treatment and intervention.
Pros
Good medical, dental, vision benefits & pension plan.
Cons
Vacations are set within the school calendar.
Productive, mentoring environment which promotes educational advances among students
Special Education Trainee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2016
I was responsible for performing a variety of activities pertinent to training, physical care, disciplining, and tutoring in order to inculcate habits, knowledge, and skills in students with disabilities. I am also responsible for assisting teachers in implementing lessons or portions of lessons to a student or a group of students, checking accuracy of work, and presenting additional assignments as directed by a teacher. I also help students to use books, classroom materials, and equipment.

One of the most challenging aspects of this position was the fact that once students comprehended (and retained information for a limited time) information they would have to be taught the same task the next time. The fact that you (the teacher) would be able to teach students who had severe disabilities new material and you believed they grasped it only to later discover that they would have to be retaught was somewhat disappointing only because I wanted them to be able to effectively retain information in order to make use of it in the future. The most important part of the job would also be teaching students new material and being able to see the excitement and appreciation in them when they learned something new and retained the information.
Pros
Giving back to students with disadvantages
Cons
Lack of professional advancement
Strong Team - Dedicated and Effective
Principal (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 7, 2016
As a leader it is important to maintain balance, focus and perspective. Working within and as one of a strong team is the ultimate goal of any leader. Avoiding top down dictates while instilling interactive problem solving and decision making are key to the success of any organization.
Pretty standard. No room for growth.
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 24, 2016
You work 30 hours a week. A typical work day consist of engaging students through a curriculum provided by the school. You work side by side with the teacher in the classroom. The students are taught 3-4 subjects in a day's time. During recess the students must be monitored at all times. Your daily schedule is fairly consistent. You must enjoy children to get succeed at this job. You must also have a high tolerance for unsatisfactory behavior and be willing to correct this behavior using various methods. Management comes directly from the teacher you work with. The roughest part of the job is trying to get children to learn when they're resistant to the curriculum. The most enjoyable part of the job is the growth you see from the students who are willing to learn and put the effort in. I'm satisfied with my experience with the school district.
Pros
Healthcare, Vision, Dental, Pension
Cons
Short breaks, Work is thirty hours per week, You're off two months out of the year due to summer vacation
Hard working men and women in the Landcaping Dept.
Landscape Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2016
Not knowing how great a place this was I took this job for granted. I was laid off do to budget cuts in 2012 and have not been able to find a position anywhere that was as good as LAUSD landscaping department. Promoting is very difficult to come by. Many employees working well into there retirement years. Supervisors are great.
Pros
Great people. No college degree needed to work as an LAUSD landscaper.
Cons
Promotions hard to come by, Can be laid off anytime.
Very spacious school where children get the opportunity to explore and learn.
Early Education Aide (Current Employee) –  Cudahy, CASeptember 11, 2016
It is a team effort environment where we provide the education and assistance to the children while there parents are at work. It is a great opportunity to gain social skills specially with the staff since communication is the key to a successful day.
Great work environment, staff is very appreciative
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Granada Hills, CASeptember 24, 2016
That faculity and staff are nice, understanding, and appreciative. I love making a difference in the lives of the students I have learned how to manage many tasks at once while remaining calm and collected
Pros
Great pay, nice teachers, great staff
Upbeat atmosphere
Teacher Assistant /Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2016
I had a wonderful time working for LAUSD. My co-workers became like a real family to me. We are were very close and stuck together as a team. I enjoyed being around the children and seeing their faces everyday. I was joyed to go into work everyday
Educational environment, teachers supported each other
Math Instructor (Former Employee) –  Reseda, CASeptember 10, 2016
I love teaching Mathematics, so for me the assignment was very desirable. Unfortunately, the principal at Reseda high school was not supportive.
Pros
Students were willing to learn with the right incentives
Cons
Department heads kept all of the high level Math classes for themselves.
Lausd
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work is teaching children. I learned to be flexible and understanding. The principal comes into the classroom, and as necessary you should be on task. The hardest part of the job is when a child does not want to cooperate. The most enjoyable part of the job is when children learned the concept you were teaching them!
Pros
Teaching
Cons
Meetings
classroom teacher
teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 14, 2015
Maintain accurate grade books.
teach the required curriculum.
pay equity (male/female)
collaborative culture for employees.
You spend the greater part of your day with little to no adult (peer)
interaction.
Pros
health care benefits
Cons
increased pressure to have your students perform at higher and higher levels on Standardized tests.
Very fun work environment friendly co worker enjoy there well.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2016
Love my work, worked there for ten years , vey nice people there will stay for another ten years. Enjoy being with co workers have good times with them . Our supervisor is very nice to us
Pros
Bic and lunch
Cons
10 MIN BREAK
Job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 2, 2016
Depending on assignment the on the job training is can be good. There is plenty of room to move in the company. They have positions for all experience levels to keep you ...
Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 28, 2015
Starting off my day by going to my assigned classes with students. Beginning with phonics, segmentation, pronouncing words and go over math courses.I have to work with students from foreign countries and help them understand the english language. I have learned to be patient and accept students flaws regardless of how they can act. The hardest part would be having students to focus, but my strategy works all the time by doing attention getters. The best part of my job that I honestly enjoy is seeing students understand what is expected from them. You realize how smart a child can be and that has always been the best moment for me, being able to change a persons perspective. My management and co-workers are awesome. They welcome me with greetings and smiles all the time.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours, flexible with school appointments.
Cons
healthcare and benefits.

Los Angeles Unified School District Reviews by Location