Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

Fulfilling with opportunity to influence our youth
Teacher Librarian (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 2, 2014
Pros: teaching
Cons: lack of funding
As a Teacher Librarian within LAUSD, I have the opportunity to influence the lives of our youth through library services and resources. Students that transit the library often want to finish up a last minute project, browse books, or need a safe place to dwell. The library in which I work is busy. In a typical day there are at least 3 class visitations, several teachers, and para-professionals transiting to utilize library services. The management of thousands of resources is the hardest part of my job. Keeping things in order and in the right place for easy access is a challenge. However, the best part of my job is sharing knowledge with others. Discussing, debating or assisting students with the latest novel, research project or even a current event is enjoyable. I love learning and I love being a part of our students' learning journey.
Clerical Management/Supervision Positions
Classified Employee (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 1, 2014
Began my work career with the Los Angeles Unified School District and was very successful in climbing the ladder of my career goals.

Work environment was excellent, pay rates were competive and was giving all the opportunities to rise to my goal expectations.

Retired after 20 years of service and pursued another profession.
Productive and good learning experience
Journeyman Electrican (Former Employee), Montebello/Los AngelesNovember 25, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: when jobs wouldn't come in right after completing another
Ran electrical jobs of all types commercial industrial and residential we ran flex, mc cable, rigid conduit, emt piping, Romex pulled wire ran underground work pvc piping, direct bariel products etc, low voltage and some neon lighting, and motor control we did maintenance on all electrical items, ballast replacements and etc. This was a fun job because the guys would get real close most of the time. The hardest part of the job was when we would have to let some one go because there productivity was low or the work load would get slow.
A Wonderful Place where you make a difference of a lifetime
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 18, 2014
Pros: good vacations, and great benefits
Cons: unpaid summers
To teach is to give a child a chance at a great future and that is being done at LAUSD on a daily basis by dedicated teachers who care and make a difference on a child's life. I have been very fortunate to work with the most amazing and and creative co-workers anyone could ever have! I have only good things to say about LAUSD and all the wonderful staff I am surrounded by. Like any other organization we have our flaws but, overall it has been a blessing working here!!!!
Not a fun wokplace, intense with a lot of cronyism
Senior Program Analyst (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 11, 2014
I learned a lot about my job and a lot about people, some of the people are really nice and the others are not so nice, which is expected in every job but when the quality of your work is determined by what people say and not all you have achieved for a company, then that's a problem
Super micro manage employees
DSA certified Inspector (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 31, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: you either accepted or you are out
You need to join the virtual club of the management, otherwise you have no chance.
FUN PLACE TO WORK WITH KIDS AND STAFF
Coach, Playground Supervisor (Former Employee), Torrance, CASeptember 29, 2014
Great Experience! learned all the necessities of being a coach and mentor.
Pductive and fun workplace
Educational Aide II, Locke High School (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 28, 2014
Pros: holidays, pay, & work hours
I enjoyed working for LAUSD. Learned a lot of new skills and I enjoyed working with youth.
Maintain clealiness of School gounds
Building & Grounds Worker (Former Employee), Gardena, CASeptember 24, 2014
Maintain cleanliness of School grounds & prepare school grounds for following day of business.
A rewarding experience over 15 years
Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 19, 2014
Pros: children learn and grow
Cons: negative behaviors/negative parents
Arrive at school one hour early to make preparations for the day's work such as signing in, getting a cup of coffee, making copies and setting up the classroom, sharpening pencils and making sure there is enough supplies for the children. Pick up the children and supervise breakfast in the classroom. I learned that it is important to be a good time manager when you are working on a schedule and to be a good team player with your co-workers when you are doing similar duties. The hardest part of the job is staying on task at all times and to remain focused at all times. I learned to enjoy working with kids and watching them grow and learn. If you are a good teacher, manager, and supervisor, your students will be impacted by it.
productive
Substitute Aide (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: short breaks
Cons: dealing with all ages
Students must feel respected and cared about, this is the key to a successful substitute teaching position
Wonderful to experience the business side of the educational arena.
Charitable Giving Coordinator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 7, 2014
There was really no "typical" day in my position, which in my mind was very positive. There were regularly scheduled assignments, i.e., managing the compilation of requested data for annual audits, annual budget reports, etc. However, having had multiple job duties within my position, I had many responsibilities in various areas within the Finance Department that made every day a new and exciting experience.

I established a great working relationship with my co-workers, as I was also the HR Rep for the Finance Dept. of approximately 400 employees, so having had a fair and impartial demeanor with everyone, I would say that we ll worked as a positive and cohesive team.
L.A.U.S.D. provides the opportunity to improve yourself professionally.
Carpenter (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CaSeptember 1, 2014
I learned new carpentry skills while I worked as a carpenter at the school district. These new skills complemented the trade knowledge that I acquired prior to working for the District.
a variety of clerical assignments day to day
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2014
Pros: working environment
Very professional president/owner who is very accommodating and provides excellent instruction. Always encourages growth of her employees.
First Job Out of College
Music Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2014
My first year as an educator was challenging, yet rewarding working in the inner-city to the Heights of Los Angeles.
Math activities
Associate Teacher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CaliforniaAugust 14, 2014
Pros: discount tickets
Cons: not enough spaces for parking
A typical day starts at 2:15 to 5:15 pm. I sign in, and start to wake the children up from their naps. Then I serve them their snacks. After snacks we start the math activities with the children, either have already for the children or we have to create a math activity for them. The hardest part of the job is working with people that don't have the same dedications that you have, and the most enjoyable part of my job is to see the smile on the children faces when they find out that they can do the things that they say they can't do.
Los Angeles Unified is an awesome job!
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2014
Pros: great benefits, job securities, room for growth, friendly work environment, etc.
Cons: summer and winter breaks with no pay, monthly cap on regular hours and overtime
It has been a great experience working for the School District. At LAUSD there is job security. Twice a week I have a split shift, which is great! It gives me enough time to take care of other business.
Dealing with children and their family, their is no room for error!!
Their safety is in our HANDS!
LAUSD is a fun and great place to work especially if you love children.
Cafeteria Supervisor (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2014
Being a Cafeteria Supervisor is not a easy job but it can be fun depending on how you handle it. on a average day we prepare food, serve students, staff and parents, maintain cleanliness, stock shelves, complete paperwork but most important we serve good quality healthy meals. I manage 7-10 employees on a daily average with the help of my manager. Communication is the most important issue in this job because 1 detail that is left out can mess up the whole daily operation.
Great place to work if you love chidren!
Program Supervisor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 1, 2014
Great place to work! Opportunity to explore Los Angeles areas and work with different types of people. Loved making a difference in the lives of the children and introducing the parents to better ways of creating with their children and how to learn and have fun with their children.
great to gain experience
Playground Worker (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2014
get to learn if working with minors is what you really want to do for the rest of your life. every one is nice. weekends and vacation. not paid though.