Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

Fun place to work at and meet people with different ideas and perspectives
Pupil Services and Attendance Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 19, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was to be part of the administrative meeting and provide input about how we can target children with possible mental health issues and collaborated with PSW on creating a screening process.
Pros
I was out by 4:30pm latest, unless we had parent conferences
Cons
Parents were not open to allowing their children participate in counseling due to various reasons
Great environment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 18, 2016
I enjoyed working at the school I was with everyone there is wonderful and amazing we are all like a big family where everyone knows everyone.
If you aren't bilingual ... then forget it !!!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
As the demographics in Los Angeles county have changed dramatically within the couple of decades, it is to the advantage of any applicant to be bilingual - Spanish speaking. As a result, finding the very best teachers takes a backseat to finding teachers who are bilingual. Classes state wide are supposed to be taught in English (which includes language assistance with ESL students), however, with so many non-English speakers in the county, the district has become more of a Spanish speaking one than an English speaking one. Per the above, there isn't as much diversity within the Los Angeles school district as there once was - i.e. 73% of the student population is Latino.
Pros
Probably a good environment for Latino students
Cons
Not a very good environment for non-Latino students
My work experience
Security/Coach (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2016
This was one of the places where began to familiarize students with the K-12; this period was short but fruitful, to spend IUSD.
Problems, none.
Enjoy this work as much as mush as I could.
Great Company
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2016
I love working for Los Angeles Unified School District! Great benefits, wonderful co workers. We rock!
Extremely busy and productive
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90017July 10, 2016
The tachers and staff are extemely helpful and polite. The most enjoyable part o fmy job was working and playing with the children. I also had a wonderful time with the staff and office employees. The hardest part of the job was coordinating with other teachers during special events. Another diffcult aspect of the job was having a consistent line of communication with the children's parents.
Pros
Plenty of time allocated to employees to rest
Cons
Did not have enough employees
Essentials of project management
CTE/ROP Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 6, 2016
enjoyed training youth and professional development for educators in video pre, productions, and post production. Planning, set design, studio, script writing, and the like. also grant development.
Job Security
School Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valley Village, CAJuly 5, 2016
Love working in education with young minds. Great working environment. Even though the school district currently suffers from budget inefficiencies and our office staff is limited I enjoy what I do. We have a very busy office and it can get frustrating at times. Knowing I might make a small difference in the life of a child make sit all worth it.
Good
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2016
No benefits as a sub
decent pay
great work
great people
loveable kids
not secure

I really liked this job, I love the kids, the pay is good but they have too many breaks and vacation time
Learning environment
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 30, 2016
I enjoyed being able to shadow various departments and learn new programs. My coworkers were very helpful with any questions I had.
Great place making a difference in Los Angeles
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 25, 2016
Everyone working for or with the Los Angeles Unified community are great fun loving hard working people. The company does a good job accommodating there employees with everything they may need.
Good part of this workplace are the colleagues.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lomita, CAJune 25, 2016
Good colleagues to work with. I loved working with the students and parents.

My partner teacher was absolutely great to work with. The most challenging part of the job was working with students who came from unstable homes and had a lot on their plates when they entered the classroom. It was a sad situation, but it was all worthwhile when I could make them feel safe and loved.

What I learned working here was that no matter what negative situation I was in , my focus is to serve the students and their parents.
Pros
Conference Period
Cons
Short lunches
I enjoyed working with the Special ED.
Special Education Trainee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2016
I would assist handicapped students with their daily needs and assisted with planning field trips.

These special children taught me how to be more patient and in spite of their handicap, they can succeed in life.

I loved assisting them because they enjoyed learning new things.

The hardest part of this position was keeping them focused.
Pros
Benefits, work schedule, and free lunches.
Cons
Off work during summer months.
Schools Performance Based on Principals People Skills
Graphic Arts Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2016
I have worked at various schools over 30 years and it has been my experience that the success of a school is directly related to the principal and his relationship to the teachers and staff. The better the principal relates to the teachers and staff the better the school operates. The principals that operate as a Monarch get the less out of the entire staff. LAUSD gives too much autonomy to it's principals without adequate over-site of their practices and procedures. The principals that run into problems do so because of their corrupt control of the budget. The Principals that give staff and teachers professional respect as well as clear and concise expectations and deal with them accordingly, will always be successful.
Pros
Example:After school programs and a active after-school campus.
Cons
Principals that don't support teachers.
lausd
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 21, 2016
The mission of the Division of Special Education is to provide leadership, guidance, and support to the school community in order to maximize learning for all students within an inclusive environment so that each student will contribute to and benefit from our diverse society.
Great Learning Experience
Assistant Principal of Counseling Services (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 20, 2016
The company offers great opportunities for growth and advancement. Worked with many talented devoted individuals who's main focused was on making a difference in the lives of students and, making cultural changes within the community.
Pros
Student and staff growth
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 17, 2016
I have been a Substitute Teacher for the Los Angeles Unified School District for over
12 years. I have subbed at over 120 middle to high schools throughout the district.
• I implement the teacher’s lesson plans, assign students class work and homework, and
maintain classroom management with authority. My other duties are to make sure
each and every child complete their assignment in a safe classroom environment.
• At the end of school day, I would leave a complete daily report and/or evaluation to
communicate to the teacher any pertinent information resulting from the days’ events.
Pros
PE Teacher
Cons
part time, lay offs
Contractor limited time frame
Wireless Network Scoping Engineer/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 15, 2016
Good overall. Leaning towards hiring contractors vs LAUSD employees. Busy day working on several projects to meet deadlines.
Speed, efficiency in meeting deadlines. Management cordial friendly relations. Cooperative Coworkers. Hardest part: meeting unexpected changes. Enjoyable: completing tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
Pros
Busy environment.
productive and positive work experience
Campus aide (Current Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAJune 15, 2016
supervise and maintain a safe environment for students and staff. organizing parking and flow during special events .
Pros
great co workers
Hours are very fexible
SPECIAL ED ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  N Hollywood, CAJune 14, 2016
Great company to work for. Management is great and helpful. I have learned so much about myself and how to work with children.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Los Angeles Unified School District Reviews by Location