Loudoun County Government Employee Reviews

Good organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJanuary 6, 2018
Excelled opportunities for growth giving the County's economical and population growth. Good pace. Lees stressful environment vs. other organizations. A lot of investment in growing from within.
Pros
Work life balance
Pay & Benefits were great
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VA 20175December 24, 2017
Management provided weekly staff meetings to communicate with all levels of staff; very transparent management style leads to no confusion by employees about what was going on or coming up in the future. My first manager there was family oriented, but my second supervisor there was miserable.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
good company to work for
Residential Services Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 19, 2017
I learned a lot working for this company. A typical day at work consists of a variety of task, but overall it is a great place of employment. Thanks for the opportunity.
Extremely relaxed, low stressed environment
Real Estate Appraisal Intern (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VANovember 15, 2017
You are expected to get your work done in this role, however, you are also given extremely ample time to finish your work. As a business student I excelled in my work here and was able to have a lot of time to relax. The pay was better than any other place I had interned, but since I was expected to do very little work every day I almost felt like I didn't earn it, but I will never complain about getting paid a lot to be expected to not overachieve.
Pros
Free time, field experience, amazing managers
Cons
Slow work pace
Would not recommend.
CARE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 10, 2017
Archaic management style. High stress, minimal opportunity for growth, low pay, decent benefits. I would not recommend Loudoun county as a potential employer.
loudoun county govt
Default Project Engineer - Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAAugust 23, 2017
loved the job itself and my coworkers but team leader was worthless and bypassed constantly. advancement and career progression was non existant although it was supposed to be
The best place to work with chidren.
Casa Leader (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 27, 2017
Working for Legacy School Elementary were the best years.
The environment and the people working at the school was
awesome. The Principal, teachers,secretaries and custodian
are excellent in their jobs. My supervisor was the best and
our specialist was always there when in need,
Pros
15 mins break with children
Cons
Breaks as neede
No back up
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJune 5, 2017
Person centered, zero accountability, more concerned about appearance then client's quality of services. Team and supervisors are great. However, too many hands in the pot of people who have never experienced the jobs.
Very busy and upbeat work environment
Casa Leader (Current Employee) –  South Riding, VAJune 1, 2017
This job requires me to be on the move and adaptive since it requires working with children and making their aftercare experience worth while. It is a very uptempo job requiring constant adaptation to events and unexpected situations.
Pros
Field trip, travel
Cons
N/a
Good Company
Consumer Support Specialist Mental Health (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMay 19, 2017
Excellent Benefits and good quality of work.
Good management and co workers, learned a lot working with people with disability in the medical field. The hardest part of the job for me was seeing so many children that needed help.
Pros
Co workers Managers
Run don't walk to the next employer
Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMarch 17, 2017
I have been with LCMH for years and have watched it change from a caring family to a place that talks the talk of client care, but doesn't understand that in order for therapists to provide good care they need to feel cared for and about. Your life needs are not considered here. The program comes first, then management, then the client and somewhere way down the list are the clinicians. Dirty cramped quarters are a metaphor for how management values you. There are few training opportunities, little room for advancement and negative and punitive management styles. Pay raises are small (2-3%) and there have been years when we got no advance. Other local counties pay better. Plenty of work hours and no overtime or even overnight differential pay.
Management doesn't understand the concept of clinical supervision and it doesn't happen regularly because they don't value it. Even our unlicensed people are struggling to get hours. People are quitting and management makes excuses for each defection, refusing to recognize a pattern of people being driven away. Keep looking, this place is a hot mess.
Pros
Easy commute in Loudoun
Cons
Management style, long hours, short staffed
n/a
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 14, 2017
Amazing place to work, with very kind patient people. I have learned a lot while working here. The ladies within my office have taught me a lot about data entry, and how to answer a switchboard.
Better and/or retrained and reviewed upper management needed- could be a great place to work with more open lines of communication
Landfill Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 14, 2017
Unfortunately management styles and tactics and a serious disconnect with the men and women "on the ground" created an extremely high rate of turnover and a very negative moral like I have never seen and have driven many excellent employees myself included to leave, and give to up what I have always wanted and almost have to have to survive and live a good and fruitful lifestyle, in seek of a better quality of life. Great jobs, great benefits, but the management tactics in place need reworked to care for their employees more, and allow for a more personal feel instead of just being a "number" so to speak. The work has to be done but it doesn't have to involve so much unnecessary negativity and revolve around the "glass half empty" motto. I built my life around my career and was morally forced to leave for my own mental health couldn't stand watching any more turn and watch how the focus was always on the bad never the good and hard work was not often enough recognized as simple mistakes or errors.I want to get back in but with a different division or department, I dont think there is any one person at fault but do believe that the issues have lingered and been in place for too long and I fear that they may not be able to be reversed. People have brought issues to light only for them to be brushed back under the rug, but instead if they were heard and taken seriously so many good people would still be there, myself included, or even re apply and return to the workforce.
Pros
benefits, job security
Cons
management tactics dont promote healthy happy working environment or longevity of quality employees
Good place to work.
Senior Clinician (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 21, 2015
A team of therapist for children and families. County organization serving residents of the County. Coworkers work together well. Management involved in direct contact with workers.
Pros
exciting work with community
Cons
Overall good place to work
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJuly 17, 2015
There have been recent changes that have made significnat improvements in the overall quality of care and servce delivery to individuals being served.
People, People, People
Information Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMay 2, 2015
Another great job! In this office you were working constantly at the front desk or on the phone with customers. The days go by quickly. I learned a lot about Loudoun County.
Exhausting
Juvenile Detention Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMarch 21, 2015
The job is taxing not only on my personal life, but my social life as well. There are no free weekends when you work over night and there is no guarantee that when you ask for leave that you will get it. The facility operates 365/24/7. It's great for those who enjoy shift work, I personally do not. Hardest part is making sure I've had enough sleep the day of my shift so that I can make it through the shift and make it home, 45 minute commute. Best part, is the kids, although I hardly see them, so I can't say for certain it's the best part. The people that work here are decent, but could be better, some do it just for the pat check and some do it because they enjoy it. Management is difficult at times and a lot of people micro-manage. There is also a lack of communication. I've learned, although I thought this was my dream job, it really is not.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, dinner
Cons
No breaks, Monthly meeting in the middle of the afternoon when the overnight shift is typically sleeping, unreliable staff.
Good starting agency
Deputy (Current Employee) –  Sheriff's OfficeOctober 16, 2014
JOB WORK/LIFE BALANCE: You work 12 hour days (very long). At the jail & on patrol you report to work at 0545 leave at 1800 OR 1800 to 0545. Always tired. Two shifts of 25 deputies each (patrol a lot less deputies). You will work 5 days one week and 2 days the next. Everybody lives for the 2 day week. Some like it, some don't. Understaffed at all times. Plenty of overtime available because of the staffing problems. You work 14 days a month.

COMPENSATION/BENEFITS: Usual government bennies. Great. You will NOT get holidays off. If you are scheduled to work you will work. If you are scheduled off you will be off. They will pay you for your holidays though. When you are hired you are led to believe you will receive 11.5 holidays per year. NOT TRUE. The only deputies that actually get the holidays off are command staff, court deputies & civil process deputies, all others have to request off with the use of annual leave (good luck).

JOB SECURITY/ADVANCEMENT: Job security, yes. This agency constantly hires people. They are always short staffed and can never seem to retain deputies (????) why. Advancement, maybe. Politics as usual.

MANAGEMENT: Terrible. The supervisors that are assigned at the jail do not want to be there. They are placed there by the Sheriff. They are patrol deputies at the end of their careers and not jail deputies. There is a difference and it shows. Most have an extremely hard time making decisions on their own & do not understand jail ops. There are a few good supervisors but they face difficulty in changing policy that needs
  more... changed. Patrol deputies express frustration with the field supervisors as well. Line staff are not trusted to make sound decisions.

JOB CULTURE: We are law enforcement officers. Enough said.

Line staff are pretty tight knit group, however, deputies are retained (because of staffing problems) that have no business being in a uniform. Few deputies are dismissed from employment for incompetence. I personally like being a LEO, however, this particular agency is not very well managed. In the beginning it will seem that it is great, however, with tenure, as you discover the real inner workings of this agency it will leave a little to be desired. Your mileage may vary. If you work at the courts or civil process your life is much more normal and the management appears to be better in those areas. Deputies constantly leave this agency for the 3 agencies to the east of Loudoun. More money, better supervision and more opportunities seem to be the motivation. Good agency to "get your foot in the door" but there are better, more trusting agencies that would relish your service to the public. Very nice people work here. Very friendly. They simply will not trust you to make sound decisions as a certified LEO. Moral in this agency is not very good.

Most other sheriff's offices main duties are Jail/Court security, civil process & inmate transport with patrol being in support of the local police departments. This agency seems to have things turned around backwards with patrol being the main focus and the other divisions being secondary to that.
Pros
Steady paycheck / job security / good retirement through VRS
Cons
Read below.
Working for a local government
Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VASeptember 3, 2014
I answer the phones all day helping end users with their computer issues. I have learned about Active Directory, Windows Server 2008 environment, and Outlook. The manager is really easy to work for and is very supportive of seeing we get the training we need to expand our knowledge. My co-workers and I work well together. We received a Team of the Month award from the County Adminstrator. The hardest part of the job is that I feel stuck. I took this the job in the hopes that it would be a stepping stone to something else, but so far I have not been able to progress in the IT profession. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping the users. Some call so fustrated and looking for help and it makes me happy to be able to help them.
Pros
The people
Cons
The commute
Excellent workplace
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJanuary 4, 2014
Completely enjoyed both the job duties and the staff that I worked with.