Loudoun County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great way to learn about a teaching career
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  LCPSFebruary 5, 2016
I have been a substitute teacher at Loudoun County Public Schools for 2 years now. This job showed me a lot about the teaching career and the grades I do not enjoy versus the ones I do enjoy.
I also learned what schools were good to sub at and which ones are not. The kids were never a problem, it was more the front office people who had no regard for you and were not very helpful.
Teachers need to be reminded to leave lesson plans that are clear and take up the day versus just a few hours.
I found that the teachers who left wonderful lesson plans with clear set rules for students had the classrooms with the best behaved kids in them.
I am coming to the problem now that while looking for a full time job I can not get the central office to fill out a reference form despite multiple emails. I subbed at many different schools so I never developed a super close relationship with anyone principal.
My advice to individuals looking to sub is to stick at one school that way when it comes time for you to possibly look for a full time job, opprtunites don't pass you by because your most current employer can't respond to an email.
Pros
Eye opening, Great kids
Cons
Front offices, Central office
Developed effective working relationships with peers and superiors
Receptionist/Assistant (dispatch) (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 2, 2016
I work in a very laid-back but fast-pace environment that is safe and non-threatening but need improvement in areas that promotes and supports on-going professional development and appreciation for employees.

A typical day at work for me is perseveres with enthusiasm and interacting effectively at all levels within Loudoun County Public Schools. I work closely with a team and have developed excellent communication skills.
Pros
one hour lunch, cultural diversity, busy public interaction, holiday days off, vacations, great health benefits
Cons
Long hours sitting:
Fast Paced, ever changing enviroment.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAOctober 14, 2015
A fast paced environment that includes a new location, new students every day. This provided me with the ability to adjust to new surroundings quickly and carry out the plans the teacher left. The uncertainty of a job for each day was a downfall to this job as well as no benefits I meet so many teachers and students in time working. Everyone was helpful if there was something forgotten by the teacher.
Pros
hours are flexible
Cons
no benefits, no school each day
Good
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Belmont Ridge Middle SchoolSeptember 2, 2015
Good company, considerate of employees, great benefits, excellent communication with staff and possibilites for promotion
Substitute teacher
PTA Board Member, Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ashburn VAAugust 25, 2015
It's very difficult to walk into a new situation on a daily bases, but I had really good experiences subbing for LCPS. The pay is great, but doesn't offer any benefits.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
New situations daily
Nice and a good learning environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Loudoun County, VirginiaAugust 25, 2015
When I go for subbing I enjoy my time with my students. It just brings me the passion and pleasure to teach students. I go early to the school assigned and I have to get ready. Everything is very organized and provides a vital but simple education to the students. My co-workers are really helpful whenever I need help and give tips on things I can improve on. The hardest part of my job is the inconsistent of my working days. The most enjoyable part of my job is being in an environment filled with children.
good job
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAAugust 20, 2015
Good job with good benefits. As a bus driver you have time to do your personal errands between your bus route on your down time. Meet a lot of people.
Pros
Sick leave
Cons
Seems like it is hard to move to other positions.
Social Work staff is focused on improving education and life outcomes for vulnerable students.
School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAAugust 17, 2015
The Student Support Services segment, specifically as it applies to School Social Work staff, requires exceptional flexibility and the ability to "wear many hats." Having a contract schedule that is aligned with the school year does offer the perk of extended time off in the summer.
Substitute Teacher and long-term secretary (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAAugust 11, 2015
Great people to work with, but very much an old boy's network when it comes to hiring. I worked regularly as a substitute for 7 years and applied for several positions along the way. It seems that the administration had already decided who they would hire and were just required to interview other candidates.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Pay
Excellent Schools
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Purcellville, VAAugust 5, 2015
Great school district with quality education. I have 3 children in LCPS and I have substituted in approximately 7 of the schools in the district ranging from K-12 over the last 4 years. The staff and students have been friendly and welcoming. I'm excited for the 2015-2016 school year to begin.
Good job
Customer Service / Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJuly 30, 2015
I am a sub in the cafeteria I have tried to become a full time employee or manager. I have worked there for 3 years and I haven't gotten the the full time postion I am looking for. I really enjoy the job and working with the staff and the kids.
Pros
Free lunch
Athletic Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAJuly 17, 2015
Really is a great place to work, and one will really be able to see the great things Loudoun County has to offer. Just with the county and the school system would see eye to eye on certain issues regarding each school as individual as every school is not the same.
Pros
The Community really supports their schools
Cons
Depending on ones position may have one too many bosses
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Loudoun County VAJuly 13, 2015
Substitute teaching was able to teach me patients, time management, and organization. I frequently subbed at Loudoun Valley High School where the staff was extremely helpful and the kids were relatively well mannered. The hardest part of the job was to manage a classroom that is constantly trying to take advantage of the fact that you are not their teacher and merely a fill-in. The most enjoyable part was being able to create a long term reputation there and being welcomed back by not only the staff but the kids as well.
Good school district
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAJuly 7, 2015
The district has been very hospitable to me as a student teacher and substitute as I finished my coursework. My one complaint is that the "old boy's network" remains in place, and it is very difficult for an outsider to find work in the district, in spite of having the relevant credentials.
Teaching is a vocation, not a job
Theatre Arts Director and Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJune 10, 2015
Teaching high school is not a 9 - 5 job and requires extreme patience, dedication, and time management skills. There is no "advancement" but impact on others is rewarding.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Round the clock work during the school year
Elementary Cafeteria Manager
Cafeteria Manager (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAJune 2, 2015
The first thing I do is turn on the computer and the equipment .Then I check the temps. and unlock the equipment.Then I check to see what's on the menu for breakfast and lunch.I prepare breakfast and set up the line.I wash all the fresh fruit and produce and prepare it for lunch. After breakfast i put all the stuff away and set up the line for lunch(milk,silverware,napkins,etc.).I tray up fruits and fresh veggies,prepare the 6 different entrees,bake and wrap cookies.Clean all my work area and wash all pots,pans,etc..Then I do some of my paperwork,finish preparing lunch.Serve the students there lunches,count and put away remaining food clean up line ,all dirty trays and pots,pans etc..Count the money for bank,finish paperwork,eat my lunch,put Casa snack in cooler, lock and turn off equipment,Take bank money to Lovettsville manager.Go home.
Pros
Knowing that the students are getting a hot fresh lunch that I'm proud to serve them.
Cons
Doing the work of two people and having your hours cut.
Lcps
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMay 12, 2015
Allowed myself to put a creative twist on education and utilize my ability to deal with stressful situation and large groups of people while maintaining order and safety for all students.
A Productive Fun Place
Personnel Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAMay 2, 2015
This was my first job with Loudoun County. I dealt with customers and other school reps first hand. I learned quickly that one must be multi-talented. Great job and I learned a lot.
So much scheming hiding a lack of brilliance
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Loudoun County, VAApril 27, 2015
I worked for LCPS long enough to see different styles of leaders, and getting assigned to a school is truly a game of Russian roulette. Two styles of leadership prevail in the school system. There are principals in their first years who are ignorant, assertive, and always certain. Then there are the more seasoned principals who are quite knowledgeable and cautious. The latter type listen to their teachers with some degree of patience, but they've mastered the art of saying no. There are so many teachers with admin degrees waiting in line for an AP position or a dean position. Some have been hanging on for a decade or longer. The principals run them into the ground with extra tasks that are administrative. In the few schools of LCPS that I've observed, the carrot is dangled quite freely. Many teachers will trample one another to get a bite from it. People would be shocked to know how many of these wannabe principals are doing the principals' work for them. I'd loosely estimate that 80% of admin. work is delegated down the flowchart. LCPS talks a good game about supporting its teachers, but it is 95% top-down in planning and decisions. The principals typically don't trust those teachers who aren't trying to become administrators. The school system has also given away gobs of money to fly-by-night consultants who are in some cases buddies of school-level administrators. A common tendency of administrators in LCPS is to fight tooth and nail to get a promotion and then to act furious at all new subordinates when they realize how overwhelmed and disappointed they feel.
Pros
Growth and scale of school system gives lot of choices for starting teachers
Cons
LCPS is killing itself and its workforce trying to be like Fairfax County Public Schools
Great opportunity to teach
Substitute Teacher/Volleyball Coach (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAApril 11, 2015
LCPS is a great school system and full of very welcoming people. The student life is also great because there is a real willingness to learn in each of the classrooms. LCPS also has a very nice Special Education program which they are prided upon.

4.2