Loudoun County Public Schools Employee Reviews

School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  South Riding, VAFebruary 22, 2017
Only one problem...salaries are too low...but you drive in the morning then you have free time, then afternoon... management was nice, hardest part of the job is time at the stop when kids are going inside and outside... need a lot of concentration and looking around.
Pros
lot of time
Cons
salary to low
Good Benefits
Payroll Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAFebruary 15, 2017
Provided Good Benefits including vacation leave
I learned a lot of great skills during my work there. Always faced new challenges that provided great learning expierences.
Decline to mention anything additional
At the begining was a great job, but right now i am living pay check to pay check
Bus Attendant (Current Employee) –  Loudoun County, VAJanuary 7, 2017
It was a good job before because i was able to make extra money, right now just living pay check to pay check, they raise the health benefits, i am a single
Mom and i can afford health insurance foe me and my son.
Difficult work
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VANovember 13, 2016
Teachers and schools are great, but the pay is poor considering the amount of work. Parents treat teachers like the hired help. Teachers work considerable hours outside of contract hours without financial compensation.
Pros
administrators, fellow teachers
Cons
pay
Denigration of our Education System and Teachers
Educator/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VASeptember 22, 2016
While teaching has its rewards, without the administration's support or parent support, it is very difficult. Students are not held accountable for work, or lack thereof. Administrators are autonomous so there is no recourse for incompetence or targeting of staff. The students run the parents and the parents run the school. And teachers who have their degree(s) don't know how to teach - according to the parents.
School Bus Driver
SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Loudoun County, VASeptember 4, 2016
A typical day for me was getting up early to drive for students to school and then again in the afternoon to take them home. Giving me time to do personal stuff in between my runs and after.

I learned patience and respect towards students and staff over the course of my time there.

Management fell apart after Director of Transportation past away and Superintendent left after 40 plus years. Young and not old school staff came aboard to run the school system.Current long time employees treated like unprofessionally from leadership

Most of my coworkers loved driving the school bus. Lack of sub drivers took a toll on us for trying to take personal leave and be sick.

The hardest part of the job was being around impatient drivers and/or bad weather conditions.

The most rewarding part of the job was seeing my students every work day. When you were off they missed you. Learning to respect my student I attained excellent student management skills and customer service with their parents. Always punctual to stops unless a situation cam about.
Pros
You were off when the kids were off. Have summers off.
Cons
Horrible life insurance premiums. Lack of full-time status
great if you have small children
bus driver (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJune 29, 2016
I worked as a bus driver for LCPS when my children were small. I was a loyal employee for 1997-2014. Management changed drastically and that really changed the work enviornment for the worse. Hours were restricted, and cut. Benefits were more costly, or were cut all together. They quit taking care of their employees and became more worried about themselves.
Pros
you could take your kids with you/ good pay/ good benefits, although costly
Cons
benefits were very costly, and everything else
LCPS is a wonderful place to work
Teacher Assistant SpEd at John Champe High School (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAJune 26, 2016
I enjoy working with children, however my personal life has changed and I need to work 12 months and have more pay. Working for LCPS has been rewarding. I have learned a lot of computer skills working there, which has enabled me to keep my secretarial skills up.
Pros
Great benefits, job security
Cons
Not enough hours
loudoun county prcs
casa leader (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJune 21, 2016
the kids i work with are a joy to be around. i play all types of games with them teaching new games and diff activities. a typical day for me would be checking them in, letting them know what we are doin for the day, washing hands for snack before and after, helping with homework, going outside or to the gym to play a group game or free play. what i have learned is how to be patience when it comes to working with kids because each child is different. working with my co-workers is a blessing bouncing different ideas off them and vice versa. the hardest part about my job is you gotta acted fast when i child decides to run out of the gym, cafeteria and outside into the neighborhood.. you cant think about it u just have to run after them. what i love about my job is when the kids get attached to you and they tell their parents to come back later that's when you know you are doin your job and doing something right.
Great school system
Part-time ESOL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAMay 26, 2016
The adult education department hosts a variety of classes and allows instructors a great deal of freedom to tailor each class.
Collaborative Work Environment
special education teacher (Current Employee) –  AshburnMay 20, 2016
Loudoun County Public Schools is one of the fastest growing school systems in the U.S. Teachers are young, excited about teaching and willing to work with each other to obtain a common goal. I have greatly enjoyed my time working with both the students and teachers.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fun workplace.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAApril 16, 2016
I have been working at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time (more than10 years), school district in Northern Virginia. It's a wonderful place to work at. Great employee benefits and vacation days.
Pros
Summer Break
Cons
Low pay
Custodian
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAApril 15, 2016
I will be polite and straight to the point in many different aspects of this job. Depending on what school your placed at and what grades you have the job is pretty simple and boring repetitive things. Positive side of this job is that you do the same thing everyday cleaning wise depending if you need to set up for meeting and such but other then that it's the same thing over and over again so you pick up on it fast. Negative is you do the same things over and over again and it can get very boring. Positive you can listen to music one ear phone in and that helps get through your day . Negative about this job is the management is wonderful and I never had a problem with them but depending on your principle you have many people telling you to do different things. The management tells the head custodian to do one thing but the principle and management clash so ou have to choose between the principle and management who your going to take your orders from. The lead custodian are by passed a lot do the the lack of getting things done . I say that referring to the lack of understanding of how much work goes into doing the jobs we are told too. When asked for something it takes weeks before you get what you need and if you don't get it and can't do a certain part of the job it's the custodian staffs fault. That's wrong and needs to be fixed. Positive aspect of the job is that you get pretty good benefits and weekends off unless your a head custodian. My advice to anyone starting in this field don't be a head custodian unless you are hard pressed in making sure you get a chance to move  more... up the ladder because people have been in the system for years and can't get a job as a lead . They should pay the custodians based on how they work because it's not fair to be a good worker and get punished for other staff that lack the ability to work hard or care about the job. I have worked at many different schools and it's the same old thing with head custodians so be warned just go to work do your job and leave cause if you do not you will be sucked into the constant bad mouthing of the management . I would recommend this job because the growth is possible you just need to be a hard worker and really hassle the management about stepping up on the ladder.  less
Pros
Benefits, weekends off
Realistic glimpse into the world of public education.
Substitute Teacher (K-12) (Current Employee) –  Loudoun County, VAApril 12, 2016
Loudoun County Public Schools- the system in my home county- is among the best in the nation. As a hopeful future educator and administrator, I have enjoyed the eye-opening experience LCPS has given me. Teachers and fellow substitutes alike have made temporary assignments extremely welcoming and enjoyable. While there are downsides from the perspective of a substitute (no familiarity with students/schools), it is ultimately the best atmosphere one could ask for in public education. Both in the classroom and in extracurricular activities there is room not only for progress but also to make a huge impact on young people.
Pros
Stable, rewarding, career options.
Cons
Pay is low, hours are long.
Very good benifits and working conditions.
Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMarch 12, 2016
LCPs has been a good experience. Co-workers always helpful and good to get a long with. Most enjoyable part is dealing with the teachers, but it is also the most rewarding.
Pros
Great benefits. Company car.
Cons
Constant changing technology.
good place to work
Manager and still am at the present time (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAFebruary 28, 2016
the most enjoyable part of my job is the ladies that have the pleasure of working with everyday. i have learned so much from my job as in different computer programs and having to be re-certified every five years for being a manager.
Interesting workplace
Parent Liason (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 10, 2016
My position was to form a bridge of communication between the school, the student, and the home. I worked with students who were at risk of failing one or more subjects. We discussed the issues and worked on solutions and strategies to over come the barriers. I found pleasure in being able to assist families with transportation issues getting to meetings with teachers and other school staff. On a few occasions I had the pleasure of doing home visits just to touch base with the parents and see if I could assist in any way.
Pros
Helping families from the same background as myself
Cons
Not enough time allotted to the position.
Great way to learn about a teaching career
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  LCPSFebruary 5, 2016
I have been a substitute teacher at Loudoun County Public Schools for 2 years now. This job showed me a lot about the teaching career and the grades I do not enjoy versus the ones I do enjoy.
I also learned what schools were good to sub at and which ones are not. The kids were never a problem, it was more the front office people who had no regard for you and were not very helpful.
Teachers need to be reminded to leave lesson plans that are clear and take up the day versus just a few hours.
I found that the teachers who left wonderful lesson plans with clear set rules for students had the classrooms with the best behaved kids in them.
I am coming to the problem now that while looking for a full time job I can not get the central office to fill out a reference form despite multiple emails. I subbed at many different schools so I never developed a super close relationship with anyone principal.
My advice to individuals looking to sub is to stick at one school that way when it comes time for you to possibly look for a full time job, opprtunites don't pass you by because your most current employer can't respond to an email.
Pros
Eye opening, Great kids
Cons
Front offices, Central office
Developed effective working relationships with peers and superiors
Receptionist/Assistant (dispatch) (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 2, 2016
I work in a very laid-back but fast-pace environment that is safe and non-threatening but need improvement in areas that promotes and supports on-going professional development and appreciation for employees.

A typical day at work for me is perseveres with enthusiasm and interacting effectively at all levels within Loudoun County Public Schools. I work closely with a team and have developed excellent communication skills.
Pros
one hour lunch, cultural diversity, busy public interaction, holiday days off, vacations, great health benefits
Cons
Long hours sitting:
the most enjoyable part of the job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VANovember 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work in different classrooms and different locations. I went into subbing thinking I would be subbing in elementary schools only but now it turns out I love subbing in high schools!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loudoun County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Loudoun County Public Schools Reviews by Location