Loudoun County Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

great if you have small children
bus driver (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJune 29, 2016
I worked as a bus driver for LCPS when my children were small. I was a loyal employee for 1997-2014. Management changed drastically and that really changed the work enviornment for the worse. Hours were restricted, and cut. Benefits were more costly, or were cut all together. They quit taking care of their employees and became more worried about themselves.
Pros
you could take your kids with you/ good pay/ good benefits, although costly
Cons
benefits were very costly, and everything else
LCPS is a wonderful place to work
Teacher Assistant SpEd at John Champe High School (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAJune 26, 2016
I enjoy working with children, however my personal life has changed and I need to work 12 months and have more pay. Working for LCPS has been rewarding. I have learned a lot of computer skills working there, which has enabled me to keep my secretarial skills up.
Pros
Great benefits, job security
Cons
Not enough hours
loudoun county prcs
casa leader (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJune 21, 2016
the kids i work with are a joy to be around. i play all types of games with them teaching new games and diff activities. a typical day for me would be checking them in, letting them know what we are doin for the day, washing hands for snack before and after, helping with homework, going outside or to the gym to play a group game or free play. what i have learned is how to be patience when it comes to working with kids because each child is different. working with my co-workers is a blessing bouncing different ideas off them and vice versa. the hardest part about my job is you gotta acted fast when i child decides to run out of the gym, cafeteria and outside into the neighborhood.. you cant think about it u just have to run after them. what i love about my job is when the kids get attached to you and they tell their parents to come back later that's when you know you are doin your job and doing something right.
Great school system
Part-time ESOL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAMay 26, 2016
The adult education department hosts a variety of classes and allows instructors a great deal of freedom to tailor each class.
Collaborative Work Environment
special education teacher (Current Employee) –  AshburnMay 20, 2016
Loudoun County Public Schools is one of the fastest growing school systems in the U.S. Teachers are young, excited about teaching and willing to work with each other to obtain a common goal. I have greatly enjoyed my time working with both the students and teachers.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fun workplace.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAApril 16, 2016
I have been working at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time (more than10 years), school district in Northern Virginia. It's a wonderful place to work at. Great employee benefits and vacation days.
Pros
Summer Break
Cons
Low pay
Custodian
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAApril 15, 2016
I will be polite and straight to the point in many different aspects of this job. Depending on what school your placed at and what grades you have the job is pretty simple and boring repetitive things. Positive side of this job is that you do the same thing everyday cleaning wise depending if you need to set up for meeting and such but other then that it's the same thing over and over again so you pick up on it fast. Negative is you do the same things over and over again and it can get very boring. Positive you can listen to music one ear phone in and that helps get through your day . Negative about this job is the management is wonderful and I never had a problem with them but depending on your principle you have many people telling you to do different things. The management tells the head custodian to do one thing but the principle and management clash so ou have to choose between the principle and management who your going to take your orders from. The lead custodian are by passed a lot do the the lack of getting things done . I say that referring to the lack of understanding of how much work goes into doing the jobs we are told too. When asked for something it takes weeks before you get what you need and if you don't get it and can't do a certain part of the job it's the custodian staffs fault. That's wrong and needs to be fixed. Positive aspect of the job is that you get pretty good benefits and weekends off unless your a head custodian. My advice to anyone starting in this field don't be a head custodian unless you are hard pressed in making sure you get a chance to move  more... up the ladder because people have been in the system for years and can't get a job as a lead . They should pay the custodians based on how they work because it's not fair to be a good worker and get punished for other staff that lack the ability to work hard or care about the job. I have worked at many different schools and it's the same old thing with head custodians so be warned just go to work do your job and leave cause if you do not you will be sucked into the constant bad mouthing of the management . I would recommend this job because the growth is possible you just need to be a hard worker and really hassle the management about stepping up on the ladder.  less
Pros
Benefits, weekends off
Very good benifits and working conditions.
Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMarch 12, 2016
LCPs has been a good experience. Co-workers always helpful and good to get a long with. Most enjoyable part is dealing with the teachers, but it is also the most rewarding.
Pros
Great benefits. Company car.
Cons
Constant changing technology.
good place to work
Manager and still am at the present time (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAFebruary 28, 2016
the most enjoyable part of my job is the ladies that have the pleasure of working with everyday. i have learned so much from my job as in different computer programs and having to be re-certified every five years for being a manager.
Interesting workplace
Parent Liason (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 10, 2016
My position was to form a bridge of communication between the school, the student, and the home. I worked with students who were at risk of failing one or more subjects. We discussed the issues and worked on solutions and strategies to over come the barriers. I found pleasure in being able to assist families with transportation issues getting to meetings with teachers and other school staff. On a few occasions I had the pleasure of doing home visits just to touch base with the parents and see if I could assist in any way.
Pros
Helping families from the same background as myself
Cons
Not enough time allotted to the position.
Great way to learn about a teaching career
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  LCPSFebruary 5, 2016
I have been a substitute teacher at Loudoun County Public Schools for 2 years now. This job showed me a lot about the teaching career and the grades I do not enjoy versus the ones I do enjoy.
I also learned what schools were good to sub at and which ones are not. The kids were never a problem, it was more the front office people who had no regard for you and were not very helpful.
Teachers need to be reminded to leave lesson plans that are clear and take up the day versus just a few hours.
I found that the teachers who left wonderful lesson plans with clear set rules for students had the classrooms with the best behaved kids in them.
I am coming to the problem now that while looking for a full time job I can not get the central office to fill out a reference form despite multiple emails. I subbed at many different schools so I never developed a super close relationship with anyone principal.
My advice to individuals looking to sub is to stick at one school that way when it comes time for you to possibly look for a full time job, opprtunites don't pass you by because your most current employer can't respond to an email.
Pros
Eye opening, Great kids
Cons
Front offices, Central office
Developed effective working relationships with peers and superiors
Receptionist/Assistant (dispatch) (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 2, 2016
I work in a very laid-back but fast-pace environment that is safe and non-threatening but need improvement in areas that promotes and supports on-going professional development and appreciation for employees.

A typical day at work for me is perseveres with enthusiasm and interacting effectively at all levels within Loudoun County Public Schools. I work closely with a team and have developed excellent communication skills.
Pros
one hour lunch, cultural diversity, busy public interaction, holiday days off, vacations, great health benefits
Cons
Long hours sitting:
the most enjoyable part of the job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VANovember 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work in different classrooms and different locations. I went into subbing thinking I would be subbing in elementary schools only but now it turns out I love subbing in high schools!
Fast Paced, ever changing enviroment.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAOctober 14, 2015
A fast paced environment that includes a new location, new students every day. This provided me with the ability to adjust to new surroundings quickly and carry out the plans the teacher left. The uncertainty of a job for each day was a downfall to this job as well as no benefits I meet so many teachers and students in time working. Everyone was helpful if there was something forgotten by the teacher.
Pros
hours are flexible
Cons
no benefits, no school each day
Good
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Belmont Ridge Middle SchoolSeptember 2, 2015
Good company, considerate of employees, great benefits, excellent communication with staff and possibilites for promotion
Substitute teacher
PTA Board Member, Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ashburn VAAugust 25, 2015
It's very difficult to walk into a new situation on a daily bases, but I had really good experiences subbing for LCPS. The pay is great, but doesn't offer any benefits.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
New situations daily
Nice and a good learning environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Loudoun County, VirginiaAugust 25, 2015
When I go for subbing I enjoy my time with my students. It just brings me the passion and pleasure to teach students. I go early to the school assigned and I have to get ready. Everything is very organized and provides a vital but simple education to the students. My co-workers are really helpful whenever I need help and give tips on things I can improve on. The hardest part of my job is the inconsistent of my working days. The most enjoyable part of my job is being in an environment filled with children.
good job
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAAugust 20, 2015
Good job with good benefits. As a bus driver you have time to do your personal errands between your bus route on your down time. Meet a lot of people.
Pros
Sick leave
Cons
Seems like it is hard to move to other positions.
Social Work staff is focused on improving education and life outcomes for vulnerable students.
School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAAugust 17, 2015
The Student Support Services segment, specifically as it applies to School Social Work staff, requires exceptional flexibility and the ability to "wear many hats." Having a contract schedule that is aligned with the school year does offer the perk of extended time off in the summer.
Substitute Teacher and long-term secretary (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAAugust 11, 2015
Great people to work with, but very much an old boy's network when it comes to hiring. I worked regularly as a substitute for 7 years and applied for several positions along the way. It seems that the administration had already decided who they would hire and were just required to interview other candidates.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loudoun County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2