Loudoun County Public Schools

Loudoun County Public Schools United States Employee Reviews

So much scheming hiding a lack of brilliance
Teacher (Former Employee), Loudoun County, VAApril 27, 2015
Pros: Growth and scale of school system gives lot of choices for starting teachers
Cons: LCPS is killing itself and its workforce trying to be like Fairfax County Public Schools
I worked for LCPS long enough to see different styles of leaders, and getting assigned to a school is truly a game of Russian roulette. Two styles of leadership prevail in the school system. There are principals in their first years who are ignorant, assertive, and always certain. Then there are the more seasoned principals who are quite knowledgeable and cautious. The latter type listen to their teachers with some degree of patience, but they've mastered the art of saying no. There are so many teachers with admin degrees waiting in line for an AP position or a dean position. Some have been hanging on for a decade or longer. The principals run them into the ground with extra tasks that are administrative. In the few schools of LCPS that I've observed, the carrot is dangled quite freely. Many teachers will trample one another to get a bite from it. People would be shocked to know how many of these wannabe principals are doing the principals' work for them. I'd loosely estimate that 80% of admin. work is delegated down the flowchart. LCPS talks a good game about supporting its teachers, but it is 95% top-down in planning and decisions. The principals typically don't trust those teachers who aren't trying to become administrators. The school system has also given away gobs of money to fly-by-night consultants who are in some cases buddies of school-level administrators. A common tendency of administrators in LCPS is to fight tooth and nail to get a promotion and then to act furious at all new subordinates when they realize how overwhelmed and disappointed they feel.
Great opportunity to teach
Substitute Teacher/Volleyball Coach (Current Employee), Ashburn, VAApril 11, 2015
LCPS is a great school system and full of very welcoming people. The student life is also great because there is a real willingness to learn in each of the classrooms. LCPS also has a very nice Special Education program which they are prided upon.
Loudoun County Public Schools is a great place to work
Part-time employment (Former Employee), Ashburn, VAApril 3, 2015
Pros: Hires all races to work in their school system
Cons: "No" pay for 'part-time' employees for 'snow' days
The only reason why I left this employer was because the pay was not consistent especially for 'snow' days. When working as a substitute teacher your status is considered 'part-time'; therefore, there is 'no' pay for any 'snow' days.
The staff are wonderful people to work with
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee), Sterling, VAApril 3, 2015
Pros: Staff
Cons: Salaries and Management
For the most part, LCPS, is a wonderful place to work. The Assistant Principal position changes every few years and with that comes change is how the Principal plans to run the school which throws everyone. Typically, her management style is a mismanagement style as she shows more and more how she "micromanages" the teachers and staff at the school.

LCPS does not respect support staff and the salaries are not comparable to market and the benefits that government usually stand behind as the anchor is deteriorating because the school board in place is making changes to the benefits to compare them to private industry.
Autism Program Specialist (Former Employee), Ashburn, VAMarch 31, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my 21 years with LCPS and would have stayed until retirement age but I needed to relocate with my husband. Great, supportive and knowledge county to work for. They are on the cutting edge of support services for students with disabilities.
Productive and enjoyable
Cafeteria Attendant (Current Employee), Leesburg, VAFebruary 19, 2015
On a typical day at work, it starts off by setting up the condiments for the food, getting the cleaning supplies ready to clean tables, and assisting the children during their lunch time. I've learned patience with the children, especially with them having different personalities. Management always had an open-door policy for us in case we had any questions, or needed assistance. My co-workers were very friendly, hard-working, and we always supported each other. Honestly, there was nothing wrong with this job; I've enjoyed every minute I worked there. The most enjoyable part of the job, was of course, being around the kids.
Substitute teacher review
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Ashburn, VAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: money, experience
Cons: bad classes sometimes
You pick your jobs or whatever is available for that day.
Some schools are tougher then others. You must work a certain amount of jobs before the end of the semester. It is a good job for school work experience. The pay is decent,but there are no health care benefits.
Top Heavy and arrogant Mgmt staff
secretary (Current Employee), AshburnFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good benefits: vacation and sick time...
Equity needs to be improved! Employees are not treated in a consistency or fair manner. Favoritism and nepotism wide spread in the county.
Great people plus I could practice my basketball in the gym
Custodian (Former Employee), Leesburg, VADecember 10, 2014
Pros: really, it was not hard work
Cons: it was always short of staff
Made sure the school was ready for the next day and sanitized for the kids
Fun
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Ashburn, VADecember 7, 2014
Pros: i love kids
Cons: not full-time
I love transporting kids around, but I need a full-time position. I took this a foot in the door. I would rather work for a school as a Teachers Assistant or in the Guidance office in a full-time position.
Easy to access jobs
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee), Ashburn, VAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great expierence.
Enjoyed substituting in jobs in different schools. The calls came in at early enough time to get to school on time. Many different people to work with. Helped me to see that I wanted to do this full time.
School Schedule is great
Assistant (Current Employee), Ashburn, VAOctober 19, 2014
Pros: if you have kids, you're on the same schedule as them, i.e., summer off, snow days, delays
Cons: no merit pay, mostly on-the-job training, very little advancement
If you want to be on the same schedule as your children's school, this is good place to be and the benefits are great as well. The best way to get hired is to start out as a sub if you don't need benefits. If you can distinguish yourself as an excellent sub, schools will begin to request you, and if you like the school and they like you, when a position does become available, they are most likely to hire someone whose work ethic and skills they are familiar with.
the getting a cdl licence experience a 10 on the rating scale
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Leesburg, VAOctober 8, 2014
but alas all good things came to an end healthcare issues possible walkout strikes and drama but a good steady job for 13 years
Great place for students and teachers!
Health and PE Teacher (Current Employee), Stone Bridge High SchoolSeptember 24, 2014
Great place to teach, lots of opportunities and growth! Collaborative work with other teachers and administration. Very up to date with teaching styles and technology.
Team Players, Upbeat, easy to work with the students and commuting was very convenient.
Substitute Bus Attendant - Special Needs Children (Former Employee), Ashburn, VASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: feeling confident about keeping students safe, feeling like your part of a team and learning the personalities of the students.
Cons: not having enough hours, not feeling financially stable, not able to build a stronger relationship with the students and staff
Day to day work environment was was laid back as long as everyone did their job. You learn working with disabled students to be ready for anything (challenging or not) to happen. Our management team was very supportive. The hardest part of being a Substitute was not having a long relationship with the students. The job was rewarding because you could make a difference in the students life by just being a voice for them and because of the excellent training that you have been given you are able to keep them safe with confidence.
Encouraging environmnet
Summer School- Special Education Assistant (Former Employee), Leesburg, VASeptember 17, 2014
Each summer working the management has improved. Pay is relatively good and seems to be increasing each year.
Great For Single Mothers or Retired Individuals
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Leesburg, VASeptember 11, 2014
This was a fantastic job for me at the time. I could take my children with me to work. I was off when they were off. Benefits were great. The hardest part of the job was getting up at 4:30 with two small children.
Rewarding to continue to guide students to succeed
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Loudoun County, VASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, good pay
Cons: no benefits
Substitute teaching has great hours as I am able to teach as well as coach softball. It is rewarding to continue to guide students to succeed and follow the teachers plans while he/she is out. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am giving back to my county and school system that provided me excellent education from kindergarten to high school as well as working with the students and emphasizing the importance of education.
Executive / Educator / Government Leader Problem Solver / Organizer Public Relations Professional / Communicator / Detail Oriented
Teacher/Administrative (Former Employee), Throughout LoudounAugust 1, 2014
Pros: quality organization
Each day involves planning, creating lesson plans, grading papers and providing instruction. In addition to meetings with staff and parents, as well as maintaining website material.
ESL elementary teacher (Former Employee), Leesburg, VAJune 12, 2014
Respect among employees and from the leadership team.
Great benefits.
Possibility for advancement, help with tuition.

1 2 3