Loudoun County Public Schools

Loudoun County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Good job
Customer Service / Front End Associate (Current Employee), Leesburg, VAJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
I am a sub in the cafeteria I have tried to become a full time employee or manager. I have worked there for 3 years and I haven't gotten the the full time postion I am looking for. I really enjoy the job and working with the staff and the kids.
Athletic Field Manager (Former Employee), Sterling, VAJuly 17, 2015
Pros: The Community really supports their schools
Cons: Depending on ones position may have one too many bosses
Really is a great place to work, and one will really be able to see the great things Loudoun County has to offer. Just with the county and the school system would see eye to eye on certain issues regarding each school as individual as every school is not the same.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Loudoun County VAJuly 13, 2015
Substitute teaching was able to teach me patients, time management, and organization. I frequently subbed at Loudoun Valley High School where the staff was extremely helpful and the kids were relatively well mannered. The hardest part of the job was to manage a classroom that is constantly trying to take advantage of the fact that you are not their teacher and merely a fill-in. The most enjoyable part was being able to create a long term reputation there and being welcomed back by not only the staff but the kids as well.
Teaching is a vocation, not a job
Theatre Arts Director and Teacher (Current Employee), Sterling, VAJune 10, 2015
Pros: Summers off
Cons: Round the clock work during the school year
Teaching high school is not a 9 - 5 job and requires extreme patience, dedication, and time management skills. There is no "advancement" but impact on others is rewarding.
Elementary Cafeteria Manager
Cafeteria Manager (Current Employee), Ashburn, VAJune 2, 2015
Pros: Knowing that the students are getting a hot fresh lunch that I'm proud to serve them.
Cons: Doing the work of two people and having your hours cut.
The first thing I do is turn on the computer and the equipment .Then I check the temps. and unlock the equipment.Then I check to see what's on the menu for breakfast and lunch.I prepare breakfast and set up the line.I wash all the fresh fruit and produce and prepare it for lunch. After breakfast i put all the stuff away and set up the line for lunch(milk,silverware,napkins,etc.).I tray up fruits and fresh veggies,prepare the 6 different entrees,bake and wrap cookies.Clean all my work area and wash all pots,pans,etc..Then I do some of my paperwork,finish preparing lunch.Serve the students there lunches,count and put away remaining food clean up line ,all dirty trays and pots,pans etc..Count the money for bank,finish paperwork,eat my lunch,put Casa snack in cooler, lock and turn off equipment,Take bank money to Lovettsville manager.Go home.
LCPS
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Leesburg, VAMay 12, 2015
Allowed myself to put a creative twist on education and utilize my ability to deal with stressful situation and large groups of people while maintaining order and safety for all students.
A Productive Fun Place
Personnel Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee), Ashburn, VAMay 2, 2015
This was my first job with Loudoun County. I dealt with customers and other school reps first hand. I learned quickly that one must be multi-talented. Great job and I learned a lot.
So much scheming hiding a lack of brilliance
Teacher (Former Employee), Loudoun County, VAApril 27, 2015
Pros: Growth and scale of school system gives lot of choices for starting teachers
Cons: LCPS is killing itself and its workforce trying to be like Fairfax County Public Schools
I worked for LCPS long enough to see different styles of leaders, and getting assigned to a school is truly a game of Russian roulette. Two styles of leadership prevail in the school system. There are principals in their first years who are ignorant, assertive, and always certain. Then there are the more seasoned principals who are quite knowledgeable and cautious. The latter type listen to their teachers with some degree of patience, but they've mastered the art of saying no. There are so many teachers with admin degrees waiting in line for an AP position or a dean position. Some have been hanging on for a decade or longer. The principals run them into the ground with extra tasks that are administrative. In the few schools of LCPS that I've observed, the carrot is dangled quite freely. Many teachers will trample one another to get a bite from it. People would be shocked to know how many of these wannabe principals are doing the principals' work for them. I'd loosely estimate that 80% of admin. work is delegated down the flowchart. LCPS talks a good game about supporting its teachers, but it is 95% top-down in planning and decisions. The principals typically don't trust those teachers who aren't trying to become administrators. The school system has also given away gobs of money to fly-by-night consultants who are in some cases buddies of school-level administrators. A common tendency of administrators in LCPS is to fight tooth and nail to get a promotion and then to act furious at all new subordinates when they realize how overwhelmed and disappointed they feel.
Great opportunity to teach
Substitute Teacher/Volleyball Coach (Current Employee), Ashburn, VAApril 11, 2015
LCPS is a great school system and full of very welcoming people. The student life is also great because there is a real willingness to learn in each of the classrooms. LCPS also has a very nice Special Education program which they are prided upon.
Loudoun County Public Schools is a great place to work
Part-time employment (Former Employee), Ashburn, VAApril 3, 2015
Pros: Hires all races to work in their school system
Cons: "No" pay for 'part-time' employees for 'snow' days
The only reason why I left this employer was because the pay was not consistent especially for 'snow' days. When working as a substitute teacher your status is considered 'part-time'; therefore, there is 'no' pay for any 'snow' days.
The staff are wonderful people to work with
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee), Sterling, VAApril 3, 2015
Pros: Staff
Cons: Salaries and Management
For the most part, LCPS, is a wonderful place to work. The Assistant Principal position changes every few years and with that comes change is how the Principal plans to run the school which throws everyone. Typically, her management style is a mismanagement style as she shows more and more how she "micromanages" the teachers and staff at the school.

LCPS does not respect support staff and the salaries are not comparable to market and the benefits that government usually stand behind as the anchor is deteriorating because the school board in place is making changes to the benefits to compare them to private industry.
Autism Program Specialist (Former Employee), Ashburn, VAMarch 31, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my 21 years with LCPS and would have stayed until retirement age but I needed to relocate with my husband. Great, supportive and knowledge county to work for. They are on the cutting edge of support services for students with disabilities.
Productive and enjoyable
Cafeteria Attendant (Current Employee), Leesburg, VAFebruary 19, 2015
On a typical day at work, it starts off by setting up the condiments for the food, getting the cleaning supplies ready to clean tables, and assisting the children during their lunch time. I've learned patience with the children, especially with them having different personalities. Management always had an open-door policy for us in case we had any questions, or needed assistance. My co-workers were very friendly, hard-working, and we always supported each other. Honestly, there was nothing wrong with this job; I've enjoyed every minute I worked there. The most enjoyable part of the job, was of course, being around the kids.
Substitute teacher review
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Ashburn, VAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: money, experience
Cons: bad classes sometimes
You pick your jobs or whatever is available for that day.
Some schools are tougher then others. You must work a certain amount of jobs before the end of the semester. It is a good job for school work experience. The pay is decent,but there are no health care benefits.
Top Heavy and arrogant Mgmt staff
secretary (Current Employee), AshburnFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good benefits: vacation and sick time...
Equity needs to be improved! Employees are not treated in a consistency or fair manner. Favoritism and nepotism wide spread in the county.
Great people plus I could practice my basketball in the gym
Custodian (Former Employee), Leesburg, VADecember 10, 2014
Pros: really, it was not hard work
Cons: it was always short of staff
Made sure the school was ready for the next day and sanitized for the kids
Fun
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Ashburn, VADecember 7, 2014
Pros: i love kids
Cons: not full-time
I love transporting kids around, but I need a full-time position. I took this a foot in the door. I would rather work for a school as a Teachers Assistant or in the Guidance office in a full-time position.
Easy to access jobs
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee), Ashburn, VAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great expierence.
Enjoyed substituting in jobs in different schools. The calls came in at early enough time to get to school on time. Many different people to work with. Helped me to see that I wanted to do this full time.
School Schedule is great
Assistant (Current Employee), Ashburn, VAOctober 19, 2014
Pros: if you have kids, you're on the same schedule as them, i.e., summer off, snow days, delays
Cons: no merit pay, mostly on-the-job training, very little advancement
If you want to be on the same schedule as your children's school, this is good place to be and the benefits are great as well. The best way to get hired is to start out as a sub if you don't need benefits. If you can distinguish yourself as an excellent sub, schools will begin to request you, and if you like the school and they like you, when a position does become available, they are most likely to hire someone whose work ethic and skills they are familiar with.
the getting a cdl licence experience a 10 on the rating scale
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Leesburg, VAOctober 8, 2014
but alas all good things came to an end healthcare issues possible walkout strikes and drama but a good steady job for 13 years

1 2 3