Louis Berger Group Employee Reviews in United States

Very busy operations
Sr. Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2014
Coordination of all operations and accounting funcations and they are important to work for the better of customer base.
Pros
very busy operations
Cons
coordinate billing to customer base
Supportive and productive
Government Liaison Officer (Former Employee) –  No free lunchMarch 10, 2014
Coordination with the relevant agencies was a busy and useful task, attending the meetings could improve my knowledge, coordination with high level government people made me to have a close relation in the society the most enjoyable task was working in a small team all together.
Good Place to work
Contract Management (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2014
A good place to work, challenging and enjoyable, with a broad scope of expertise.
Difficult and challenging work environment that requires endurance and patience
Archaeological Field Technician II (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJOctober 4, 2013
My work at Louis Berger has largely been survey and excavation archaeology. Many times we work in poor weather conditions (extreme heat or cold) with few breaks and difficult tasks. On some projects we worked many long hours and hiked over six or seven miles with our equipment (shovels, screens, backpacks and supplies) in tow.

I have learned many skills from this job, including excavation techniques such as setting up test-units, wet-screening, and electronic survey (using mapping devices like GPS / Total Station to record sties, set-up excavation units, and prepare topo maps). The job, because of the difficult conditions, has also taught me endurance, patience, and the value of a good sense of humor.

The hardest part of this job is uncertainty. As a contract worker, I am not always working and may be called out on very short notice. I may find out about a project two days before I need to drive fourteen hours to get there. Also, because of the corporate nature of Louis Berger, those of us in the field are that the mercy of poor decisions and agreements about projects made in an office without any regard to actual field conditions. This can be frustrating and can cause major problems for those of us in the field on a project.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I am able to see out-of-the-way places that others do not get to see often. Sometimes it is extremely nice to hike to the top of a remote mountain ridge or be out
in the middle of nowhere. It's also nice to find useful archaeological objects (stone points, pottery, etc.) on these projects. We don't always find
  more... things.  less
Pros
visit remote places, find artifacts that are sometimes thousands of years old, good field crew that have a decent sense of humor, experience with mapping devices and wilderness navigation
Cons
very short notice on work opportunities, work may be very forthcoming for a while then dry up suddenly, disconnect between those in the field and those making decisions in the corporate office, occasional hellish conditions that require great patience / endurance
Growth opportunity
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Florham Park, NJSeptember 19, 2013
This company gets plenty of work worldwide and when they need your help you will be hired immediately. I recall I started on a Saturday to help out on a project. The only negative when they do not need you as much you will be placed on part-time immediately as well.
Pros
compensation growth
Cons
too many chiefs to satisfy them all.
It was interesting
Logistics Assistant (Former Employee) –  NJJuly 18, 2013
It was interesting. Never a dull day. Fast pace. Always on the run.
Pros
never a dull day
Cons
it was different
I chose not to seek a position with them after the project was over.
Archaeologist VI (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 3, 2012
I would not work for them again. Their supervisory personnel were not well organized for the project that I was hired to work on. Their most seasoned archaeologist was counting the days to retirement from the company, and was not shy about sharing the things he would not miss about its culture and business practices.
Cons
too many to count
Company strongly recovering after legal problems
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2012
Business development required us to figure out the company capacity would be as part of responses to RFPs. It was a good team to work with.
Pros
staff development activities
Cons
coming back from management lapses of years ago
Exciting, demanding work schedules in hostile environments filled with challenges.
Area Manager - IRAQ (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2012
Overall company is developing many of its support organizations thus typical benefit structures leave much to be desired.

Daily work consisted of direct communications with clients and corporate management. Corporate management functions and support were impeded by time differentials (USA vs. Central Asia) and this made for slow response to urgent needs.

My co-workers were very dependable and efficient however dependent upon me with regards to their individual needs including benefits explanations, ect.

Difficulties with job functions were not apparent however working with multiple personalities was a challenge.

The most enjoyable portion of my job was watching employees grow and their success's as they advanced through the ranks.
Pros
salary
benefits
Louis Berger Group is managed of agribusiness programs, $340 million USAID funded
Deputy Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  OverseasMay 8, 2012
 Fully responsible and charge of overseeing all accounts payable and subcontracts and Grants, Reviewing monthly payroll disbursement, Cost accounts for the projects, preparing weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual grants reports and also projects list, Examine all the expense reports for expats and local national staff especially fields staff (transportations, lodging, per Diem …etc.) and supervise finance Dep. When Finance Manager out of office