The Louisiana Legislative Auditor, located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is seeking a Senior Actuary to provide day-to-day direction to its actuary staff in completing complex audit assignments as well as support the provision of actuarial opinions and advice to members of the Louisiana State Legislature. While varied, these projects focus primarily on the state’s pension systems and other post-retirement benefit programs.
As the second most senior position on the LLA actuarial staff, this position requires a high level of logic, analytic ability, intuition, communication skills, organizational and supervisory ability, leadership competencies and administrative skills. These skills are used in leading others to complete detailed projects, prepare and deliver factual information and reports within a political environment, and ensure that Louisiana law, the Actuarial Code of Professional Conduct and Actuarial Standards of Practice are appropriately employed with each project.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A baccalaureate degree in actuarial science, mathematics or a related degree,
- Appreciable actuarial experience with defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans, preferably within the public sector,
- The ability to recognize complex actuarial issues as well as identify the tools and methods to quantify and illustrate alternative solutions,
- The ability to develop an effective project plan, supervise staff toward the timely completion of each project, and prepare reports that can be understood by a variety of audiences,
- Sufficient political savvy to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders including other employees of the Legislative Auditor, legislators and legislative staff, leaders of various governmental divisions, and the directors, boards and actuaries of the public retirement systems in Louisiana,
- Proficiency with the use of Proval software,
- Attained associate member status with the Society of Actuaries and/or a member of the American Academy of Actuaries, and
- A strong interest in a unique career path involving commitment to public service.
Indeed - 16 months ago