Louisiana State University Employee Reviews

Flexible, relaxed environment, with low pay and rare advancement
Computer Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 2, 2016
I've been at LSU for 9 years, and have only received raises when I practically demanded it or threatened to leave. Luckily, I have a skill set that gives me some leverage in the area, but the budget is set by the state, and Louisiana is rarely in the top 75% of states for anything good.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
pay for parking, no discounts for football tickets, can't park on campus when you have to work during a game day, not allowed to hire full time staff to fill needed positions then have to pick up the slack anyway
Productive workplace advancement is encouraged
Purchasing Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 18, 2015
A typical workday is pleasant, teamwork; the hardest part is finding the best vendor for the job. We were lucky to have so many great vendors to choose from. My most enjoyable part of the job was cheering other co-workers for promotions or degrees.
Pros
Discount on books, and the opportunity to study while working; education encouraged by management
Cons
Very Productive place to work. Great opportunity for advancement!
Administrative Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 16, 2016
A typical day at work for me is making sure the office is open in the morning for everyone. I am in charge of handling lacarte and entering information in the LSU PRO system. Also, I handle all travel authorization forms and travel reimbursement forms. I have learned the different systems used to input information, a lot of different information about pests and the how the Entomology dept. works. I am not to fund of the management. The management is not understandable at all. It's not easy to work in an environment where you are not comfortable. My co-workers are easy to get along with. Any questions i might have, they always have an answer or willing to find the answer. We work as a team. My job is not hard at all. The most enjoyable part of my job, is when the faculty appreciates the work that your doing for them.
Pros
Great opportunity advancement
Cons
Short breaks, non-compassionate boss
A Fantastic Work Environment
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 6, 2016
A typical day at work will mostly consist of answering and directing calls and helping residents with key programming and dorm issues.
You will learn basic computer skills if you do not already know them and will learn how to handle a variety of situations. I also learned how to work within an office environment and how to work with various departments.
The only coworkers you have as a Desk Assistant are your bosses, however they are also the most helpful and kind bosses you may ever have.
The hardest part of the job is likely the hours. It is a 24 hour position and thus you can sometimes be working a 12pm-8am shift. However the management would allow you to do homework and studying if you are in college during these hours as you often go undisturbed for the whole shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the flexibility. Depending on when you could work you could have maximum hours in a week or if you are busy you could get to practically no hours. The managers and other desk assistants are all happy to help when you have issues.
Pros
Great work environment and allowed to do personal work when not busy
Cons
Set at minimum wage and no pay increases
Productive and fun working place
Media Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 21, 2016
On a typical day I would provide technical assistance to professors and event managers, set up and run equipment for employee use, train new employees, and conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and resolve problems to provide technical assistance and support.
This job strengthened my communication skills and professional demeanor. Furthermore, this job fine tuned my trouble shooting skills and helped me develop a sense of teamwork and how to work with others when trouble shooting technical problems. Moreover, I was able to almost perfect my time management skills with this job. Juggling the roles of a full time student, part time employee with LSU, conducting my own Psychological experiment, and participating in the GEAUX teach program have all taught me how to effectively manage and organize my time.
I would say hardest part of the job was learning how to effectively manage my time working along with my other roles at the University. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning to work closely and well with others, allowing me to network and gain new acquaintances.
Simple Job during College
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAOctober 19, 2015
I have a great deal of computer knowledge; applications and assembly. This was a computer lab students could come in and use at any time. I helped with troubleshooting on all of the Office programs and monitored the area. I really did not work with any other employees. Management gets a low score due to lack of presence. This was enjoyable because I love technology. In this job, I found nothing hard about it.
Pros
Easy for school
Cons
Compensation
Close workforce within the IT department
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 13, 2016
Reporting to the manager directly daily is beneficial as work time is efficiently managed with zero time wasted. The manager is also very patient in teaching the steps and processes through hands-on experience in a very understanding manner.
Pros
Close knitted group of workers
Cons
Lack of support from other departments
My first REAL job great!!
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 23, 2015
I was employed with LSU for over 18yrs. I started in Medical Records and I worked my way up to Administrative Assistant. My jobs included, Front Desk Admissions, Lab Clerk, and Lab Test Preparation. I enjoyed meeting the patients everyday. I knew some were more ill than others and I tried my best to make sure that each patient was treated with dignity and respect. I met one young lady as a patient and we have been friends ever since. The hardest part of the job was losing a patient. Seeing them daily or weekly a relationship was established and when you realize that they are no longer here, it's very hard. The most enjoyable meeting new patients.
Pros
Great work place for advancement
Very busy and have to be a quick thinker
Account Technician (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 29, 2016
Great place to work, need more money, I am a classified employee and I haven't had a merit raise in about 6 years or a cost of living raise, other than money, I have to pleasure of meeting people from all parts of the world. I get to learn about different cultures.
Pros
Meeting new people from all parts of the world
Cons
traffic
Get to work on numerous projects
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 30, 2016
Get to work with students and researchers on numerous projects. Fun on campus atmosphere. Learn all the newest techniques.
Pros
has benefits
Cons
soft money
Discriminatory toward Underrepresented Minorities and those with disabilities
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 9, 2016
Horrible Experience
filled with false promises and greed
Management was inexperienced and rude
Hardest part of the job was getting up in the morning knowing that you have to return to such a caustic environment.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the free food that randomly appeared at seminars.
Pros
EXCELLENT MENTAL HEALTH CARE CENTER
excellent place to work
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 15, 2016
I work for my students who appreciate that I give them my best and all that I can give them.
I have excellent supervisors and colleagues.
Not having as many resources as we could to make our department more productive.
Doing research with my students and colleagues.
Paid me to get my degree
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 27, 2016
Great people, I will miss them. I had an assistantship, so I was paid to go to school. You can't beat that. Hardest part was finding the personal motivation to finish my thesis.

Good community, especially if you like the partying culture- tailgating for football games, mardi gras parades, and crawfish boils galore. There is always something going on.
Exceptional Educational Institute
RESEARCH ASSISTANT IN AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 13, 2016
Working at Louisiana State University has allowed me to learn how to work in a diverse environment with people from all over the world, with different languages and cultures.

I have developed many skills that include data analysis and problem solving thinking.
Photonic Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 29, 2016
CCT is a great section of university. Computation equipments are main advantage of this company. Most of the engineers are from top graduate and under graduate students.
Experiential and fun
IT support (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
A good way to learn hardware and software development as well as encouragement for future and long term employment. Shared office space with college co-workers to work and troubleshoot system hardware. This job is a good launching pad for a foot in the door at employment as we work under a professional Network Administrator who is fun, caring, and encouraging to everyone in the department.
Pros
very flexible and lenient with school schedule
Cons
low pay and lack of micromanagement
Productive Workplace with lots of student interaction
Graduate Resident Director (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 30, 2016
I interact with students on a daily basis and get to see them learn and grow to become great adults. The hardest part is being on-cal for campus and dealing with so many emotional crisis. However, it is rewarding to be able to impact someone in their time of need.
Pros
Meal Plan
Great workplace
APA Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 23, 2016
The coworkers are great to work with, and management understands that you are a student first. It's generally low stress
Pros
low stress, work with your schedule
A productive workplace for Academic Research
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 27, 2016
I really enjoyed working here, and I was surrounded by great people. But it was hard to balance work with life.
Nice development opportunities
Zamorano 4-H Visiting Scholar Program (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 15, 2016
A place where job is a fun way to learn from others. My hardest moment was homesickness since I was an international scholar visitor.

4.3