Louisiana State University Employee Reviews

Great Environment and Flexible Hours
ITS Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 7, 2017
I am grateful to the staff of Louisiana State University for hiring me. Being a student worker at LSU allows me to work while also having flexible hours. It's a great, stress-free environment that grants me the advantage of being able to handle my coursework, study, and also pay for my college expenses.
Great place to work, but compensation still not that great.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 6, 2017
Like the majority of state agencies the compensation still way bellow the qualifications of the professionals.
You will get great experience and it is a great environment to make network.
Pros
Holidays, sick, leave, retirement plan.
Cons
low salary.
Stressful work environment with limited professional growth
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 5, 2017
Work environment varies from department to department but it seems the majority of administrative staff are treated with a mild sense of neglect and overuse. Raises are non-existent without fabricating new job duties and pay is below the corporate average. There are no career progression paths, official or implied. Promotion consists of transferring to completely different areas when/if a vacancy opens. Leadership is inconsistent as department managers are free to run their own teams, but this leads to inconsistent corporate practices necessitating numerous retroactive, corrective actions. While benefits such as vacation and health insurance are better than average, pay and work/life balance suffer due to disorganization and mismanagement.
Pros
Ample holidays, paid vacation, paid sick leave, good value health insurance
Cons
Stressful environment, disorganized, little room for promotion, inconsistent work goals, lack of communication
Great work culture and environment
Graduate Assistant for HRM (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 13, 2017
The HRM Office was a great experience to work at. Coworkers and Supervisors are respectful and understanding of real life situations. Great work environment and a plethora of experience.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Can be time consuming
Student Employment
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 13, 2017
Working as a student on campus is exceedingly convenient and typically easy to set up. Your experience on the job really depends on who you're working under.
Pros
Location and flexibility
Cons
Pay doesn't change and maximum of 20 hours per week
Great college
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 12, 2017
Great college with good education atmosphere. I learned a lot. Department is a great place with a good mixture of good professors. Infrastructure and course structure is nice.
fun place
Hazardous Materials Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 5, 2017
well it was a long time ago, but i enjoyed working there. but i cant continue until i review this place with 20 words. a day at work involved teaching and fire fighting
Worked on a Fellowship
Assistant Professor of Accounting (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 29, 2016
The university was very committed to my success. My work there was to fulfill a Fellowship. My experiences there were very fulfilling. The overall experience prepared me for my next stage of life. I am grateful to have had this opportunity.
LSU Graduate School
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 22, 2016
I had an excellent experience here and have no complaints about any of the professors I worked with. My only regret is that the program is structured in such a way that it limits your teaching experience.
A very diverse job
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 18, 2016
I worked on different concepts of process system engineering such as modelling of complex chemical systems,advanced process control and process optimization.
Pros
Work diversity
Cons
Game day Holiday
An okay place to work, ideal for students, can play games or do homework while you work.
Game room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 8, 2016
Job is ONLY FOR STUDENTS enrolled in at least 12 hours, has a 20 HOUR A WEEK LIMIT. The typical workday includes checking in and out equipment for the pool tables and ping pong tables, and cleaning up when closing. There aren't any hard parts to the job; very easy. Only see co-workers in passing during shift changes and clocking in. The most enjoyable part is the relaxed work day you have can get homework done or play any of the games as long as you can keep watch, and make sure no one damages anything.
Lsu
Production Control/IT Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fred Frey Building, Baton RougeNovember 25, 2016
I worked in the Information Technology Network Operations for 5 years, and was still considered "training" even after taking over responsibilities for Production Control. I was the lowest paid person in the office, with twice the responsibilities. I was managed by 3 people and was the only Production Control technician at the end of my tenure. I was set up to take a write up for my direct supervisor's scheduling error, of which I presented her own writing telling me the way it was to be done (the wrong way). I was thereafter rewarded with a night shift (7pm-7am every thurs-sat) and left to rot. I ended up leaving to go back to University full time. My hiring director retired after 3 years of my working and the new manager never made any attempts to even introduce himself to the employees. He made wholesale organizational changes which only made less employees do more work. He had no interest in half of the office personnel and was not a man of his word. I have no regrets about leaving. They promote the wrong people based on demographics and not work performance. It was a dead end position with no opportunities to advance unless you were personally hired or liked by the new director. I feel I was made to be "forced out" which I did after a full year of graveyard shift work and unkept promises. Good riddance. If you work in other departments at LSU you may have a better experience. I personally liked the other people in the building but Network Operations was a complete joke. When they would do my performance reviews I would always get "just enough" points for my  more... merit raise, but would never be given proper credit for my work product (of which I take great pride in, enough not to accept responsibilities for other people's mistakes). It was a head game that they play but if you don't respond how they want they use. And after 5 years they still kept saying I was "training" even though I was handling all the day to day duties myself and sometimes would even do after hours work off the pay clock (with no recognition for doing so).  less
Pros
Coworkers are generally nice, laid back atmosphere
Cons
Horrible passive aggressive management, no advancement, paid for parking, political office culture
Great place to work for as a student
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 10, 2016
I would walk into the front doors and come a few minutes early. You would never know exactly what to do that day, it was a new experience.

I learned how to do most electrical and software work. My job was very high tech for a student worker. I was pretty much a personal assistant to a long term employee. So the employee was my superior. However, I learned a lot working under him which was the greatest experience of all the jobs I've worked.

My co-workers were professors, engineers, physicists, under graduate, and graduate students. So I worked with people who came from all walks of life. The hardest part was putting twenty hours in when there was so much more to be done. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was doing what I loved to do. Fortunately I was working for the department my major was in. While I was learning in my classes, I applied the knowledge when I went to work every week and that was a very satisfying feeling.
Pros
free "looser" hours, learning experience, very accommodating and understanding employer, friendly work environment, convenient as a student worker.
Cons
lower pay then expected, lesser hours than preferred
Great job culture
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  LouisianaNovember 4, 2016
I love the job and the learning connected with the process. I learnt the importance of team work and the benefits we can achieve through it.
Productive and Relaxed work atmosphere.
IT Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 20, 2016
Very good work environment. Very friendly co-workers and good atmosphere to do your job. Worked easily with all levels of management.
Informative and Satisfying
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 29, 2016
Work is busy and I learnt a lot of reservoir dynamics, engineering and drilling fluid lab. Other research associates were quite helpful in my research. I am a senior teaching assistant in Drilling mud lab and assist in performing mud experiments to undergraduate students.
Love working for LSUS
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 22, 2016
Of all the jobs. I've had this is by far the BEST one ever. I loved my coworkers and the enivorment was wonderful. The work load wasn't stressful and if something was not understood my coworkers were always open to help. It feels like a big family. I loved it!
excellent place to work
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 15, 2016
I work for my students who appreciate that I give them my best and all that I can give them.
I have excellent supervisors and colleagues.
Not having as many resources as we could to make our department more productive.
Doing research with my students and colleagues.
A Fantastic Work Environment
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 6, 2016
A typical day at work will mostly consist of answering and directing calls and helping residents with key programming and dorm issues.
You will learn basic computer skills if you do not already know them and will learn how to handle a variety of situations. I also learned how to work within an office environment and how to work with various departments.
The only coworkers you have as a Desk Assistant are your bosses, however they are also the most helpful and kind bosses you may ever have.
The hardest part of the job is likely the hours. It is a 24 hour position and thus you can sometimes be working a 12pm-8am shift. However the management would allow you to do homework and studying if you are in college during these hours as you often go undisturbed for the whole shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the flexibility. Depending on when you could work you could have maximum hours in a week or if you are busy you could get to practically no hours. The managers and other desk assistants are all happy to help when you have issues.
Pros
Great work environment and allowed to do personal work when not busy
Cons
Set at minimum wage and no pay increases
Photonic Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 29, 2016
CCT is a great section of university. Computation equipments are main advantage of this company. Most of the engineers are from top graduate and under graduate students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Louisiana State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3