Louisiana State University

Louisiana State University Employee Reviews

I would not recommend working there
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 6, 2015
Management was extremely poor. Decisions and rules were made on the spot and were different for different people. Several people were let go without an explanation. Hours were long and salary was pretty low compared to other institutions
There was always a lot to be done
Student Worker (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 6, 2015
If we had to, we'd move furniture or bring packages to people. We'd allot conference room keys to those that signed up to use them. We'd also drive faculty and staff around campus.
Great experience
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Productive and great experience.
Cons: Unorganized staff.
Working for LSU as a Teachers Assistant was a great opportunity. Everyone was nice, and it was a great experience for my career.
Great Benefits but no opportunities for advancement
Analyst (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJune 29, 2015
Some of the people at LSU are great to work with and some or not, just like everywhere else. The benefits are great, but are slowly dwindling because of budget cuts in the state. The compensation packages at LSU are minimal at best. It is a state job, so it won't be as good as the private sector, but it still should at least be competitive ...and it is not.
Good career in a good environment
Member of the Faculty (Current Employee), Eunice, LAJune 24, 2015
Higher education is a great career due to the working environment and the freedom to do the job. Also, adequate benefits and a lot of time off. LSU is no exception.
Louisiana State University
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJune 22, 2015
I have worked for LSU in various departments and capacities for over 20 years. I also attended school here. It has been a rewarding and worthwhile experience.
Long standing Career
Cleanroom Laboratory Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Invested Career path
Cons: budget cuts, politics
Nice to work with fun and bright student researchers from all over the world. An international mecca of people with vast cultural backgrounds
Political environment with little interest in change
Manager (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 27, 2015
Pros: State Benefits
Cons: Poor business acumen
LSU seems like it would be the perfect place to work; you are giving back to your community, there is a lot of diversity in products, etc. and there are some awesome benefits. LSU has no interest in growing or changing business operations. To get anything to happen, takes 12 levels of political controls to approve and then another month for it to take place. The amount of hoops that are necessary to make changes or grow make this a difficult employer to work for. Just to get a new employee hired will take 1+ months, so good luck going through that process. If you do not care about business, increasing efficiency or striving to be better, than LSU might be a good fit.
Loved working in a Laboratory environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 18, 2015
This job helped me to determine what field of research I wanted to pursue a career in. It introduced me to a lot of what needs to be known in terms of research techniques and basic sanitary techniques required for research. I definitely want to continue a career in a research field that I can use what I've learned here.
Fun place to work...
Administrative Assistant 5 (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Budget Cuts
My review of the University would be that as a whole the benefits of me working there outweigh the changes that incurred with recent budget cuts. My direct supervisor is very knowledgeable about the entire university's processes and procedures and I have learned a lot from him. My work and life balances are very flexible. It is a fun environment to work in especially when I have a chance to work directly with students.
Great environment to prosper
Student Athlete (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2015
Pros: Great facilites and great mentors.
As a student athlete at LSU everyday was a awesome experience. I enjoyed every class and everyday of practice and workouts. The coaches and professors were always there to make sure I achieved my goals I set for myself. They have helped me to become the professional that I am today. The most enjoyable part was being picked to compete in the NCAA Tournament.
great cultural university
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 4, 2015
Enjoyed working with fellow employees and outside contractors. Drew up construction contracts for the university. Cut purchase orders and assisted contractors with invoice questions. Created and Maintained various MS Word spreadsheets and reports. Reported Small Business and Women-Owned dollars spent to state and federal agencies.
Great coworkers, but poor management, government policies, low payment, and insufficient/unstable funding make it a difficult place to stay
Research Associate - Biochemistry (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMarch 27, 2015
Pros: mostly good coworkers, laid back atmosphere
Cons: poor funding, terrible online and procedural requirements, low pay
The work atmosphere is laid back, but demands results, which is the best part of working in the life sciences building. I became a well trained scientist working for my professor, and I learned many useful techniques and a lot of what it means to research professionally. Dealing with paperwork and abiding by policies is to be expected, but the whole purchasing system, compliances system, work order system, etc. are a horrible chore and take time and focus away from getting work done.
Good workplace if you like overtime
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: laid back work environment, lots of overtime, independent work environment
Cons: lots of mandatory overtime, micro-managing from the senior ranks
This is a review of the Police Department, not LSU as a whole.

Over all, the department is a good one to work for. The pay is about average for a police department, however you do not receive State Supplemental Pay. There are a lot of overtime possibilities, however, overtime is mandatory and the only way to get rid of it is to have someone else agree to take your overtime shift. You work the standard shift work schedule from 7-7 and you rotate between days and nights monthly. That first week after rotation is brutal and as soon as you get accustomed to days or nights, you flip back and have to readjust. The call volume is low, allows plenty of time to be proactive.
Fun Working Environment
Student Activities Front Desk Manager (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAMarch 11, 2015
It is an amazing place to work while attending college. It is located in the center of campus and very accessible during break times. You can also do your homework if work is slow.
productive work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee), PFT buildingMarch 3, 2015
the lab that I work in, is a productive and dynamic place. I get motivation from the people I work with and the main important thing in this lab is team working and collaboration.
Good Place
Neurology resident (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: salary, insurance, retirement
Good Place, colleagues are friendly, management is a good team, patient is top priority, good coverage, insurance and salary
Productive place with good faculties
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 23, 2015
this is a good university with perfect faculties who are working with industry in order to connect the industry and academic.
Multicultural setting with great co-workers
Spanish Instructor (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: friendly co-workers and staff
Cons: lots of work/stress
The professors and administrative staff were fantastic in my department. There were people from various cultures and countries, so the workplace setting was multicultural and diverse.
Enjoyable student job
Student Employee (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 19, 2015
I enjoyed working at LSU for my student job. I learned a great deal of information about various forms of technology and I enjoyed the individuals I worked with.

1 2 3 4 5