Louisiana State University Employee Reviews in United States

Flexible, relaxed environment, with low pay and rare advancement
Computer Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 2, 2016
I've been at LSU for 9 years, and have only received raises when I practically demanded it or threatened to leave. Luckily, I have a skill set that gives me some leverage in the area, but the budget is set by the state, and Louisiana is rarely in the top 75% of states for anything good.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
pay for parking, no discounts for football tickets, can't park on campus when you have to work during a game day, not allowed to hire full time staff to fill needed positions then have to pick up the slack anyway
Productive workplace advancement is encouraged
Purchasing Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 18, 2015
A typical workday is pleasant, teamwork; the hardest part is finding the best vendor for the job. We were lucky to have so many great vendors to choose from. My most enjoyable part of the job was cheering other co-workers for promotions or degrees.
Pros
Discount on books, and the opportunity to study while working; education encouraged by management
Cons
Productive and fun working place
Media Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 21, 2016
On a typical day I would provide technical assistance to professors and event managers, set up and run equipment for employee use, train new employees, and conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and resolve problems to provide technical assistance and support.
This job strengthened my communication skills and professional demeanor. Furthermore, this job fine tuned my trouble shooting skills and helped me develop a sense of teamwork and how to work with others when trouble shooting technical problems. Moreover, I was able to almost perfect my time management skills with this job. Juggling the roles of a full time student, part time employee with LSU, conducting my own Psychological experiment, and participating in the GEAUX teach program have all taught me how to effectively manage and organize my time.
I would say hardest part of the job was learning how to effectively manage my time working along with my other roles at the University. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning to work closely and well with others, allowing me to network and gain new acquaintances.
Simple Job during College
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAOctober 19, 2015
I have a great deal of computer knowledge; applications and assembly. This was a computer lab students could come in and use at any time. I helped with troubleshooting on all of the Office programs and monitored the area. I really did not work with any other employees. Management gets a low score due to lack of presence. This was enjoyable because I love technology. In this job, I found nothing hard about it.
Pros
Easy for school
Cons
Compensation
Very Productive place to work. Great opportunity for advancement!
Administrative Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 16, 2016
A typical day at work for me is making sure the office is open in the morning for everyone. I am in charge of handling lacarte and entering information in the LSU PRO system. Also, I handle all travel authorization forms and travel reimbursement forms. I have learned the different systems used to input information, a lot of different information about pests and the how the Entomology dept. works. I am not to fund of the management. The management is not understandable at all. It's not easy to work in an environment where you are not comfortable. My co-workers are easy to get along with. Any questions i might have, they always have an answer or willing to find the answer. We work as a team. My job is not hard at all. The most enjoyable part of my job, is when the faculty appreciates the work that your doing for them.
Pros
Great opportunity advancement
Cons
Short breaks, non-compassionate boss
My first REAL job great!!
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 23, 2015
I was employed with LSU for over 18yrs. I started in Medical Records and I worked my way up to Administrative Assistant. My jobs included, Front Desk Admissions, Lab Clerk, and Lab Test Preparation. I enjoyed meeting the patients everyday. I knew some were more ill than others and I tried my best to make sure that each patient was treated with dignity and respect. I met one young lady as a patient and we have been friends ever since. The hardest part of the job was losing a patient. Seeing them daily or weekly a relationship was established and when you realize that they are no longer here, it's very hard. The most enjoyable meeting new patients.
Pros
Great work place for advancement
Discriminatory toward Underrepresented Minorities and those with disabilities
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 9, 2016
Horrible Experience
filled with false promises and greed
Management was inexperienced and rude
Hardest part of the job was getting up in the morning knowing that you have to return to such a caustic environment.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the free food that randomly appeared at seminars.
Pros
EXCELLENT MENTAL HEALTH CARE CENTER
Get to work on numerous projects
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 30, 2016
Get to work with students and researchers on numerous projects. Fun on campus atmosphere. Learn all the newest techniques.
Pros
has benefits
Cons
soft money
Exceptional Educational Institute
RESEARCH ASSISTANT IN AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 13, 2016
Working at Louisiana State University has allowed me to learn how to work in a diverse environment with people from all over the world, with different languages and cultures.

I have developed many skills that include data analysis and problem solving thinking.
Experiential and fun
IT support (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
A good way to learn hardware and software development as well as encouragement for future and long term employment. Shared office space with college co-workers to work and troubleshoot system hardware. This job is a good launching pad for a foot in the door at employment as we work under a professional Network Administrator who is fun, caring, and encouraging to everyone in the department.
Pros
very flexible and lenient with school schedule
Cons
low pay and lack of micromanagement
Paid me to get my degree
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 27, 2016
Great people, I will miss them. I had an assistantship, so I was paid to go to school. You can't beat that. Hardest part was finding the personal motivation to finish my thesis.

Good community, especially if you like the partying culture- tailgating for football games, mardi gras parades, and crawfish boils galore. There is always something going on.
Productive Workplace with lots of student interaction
Graduate Resident Director (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 30, 2016
I interact with students on a daily basis and get to see them learn and grow to become great adults. The hardest part is being on-cal for campus and dealing with so many emotional crisis. However, it is rewarding to be able to impact someone in their time of need.
Pros
Meal Plan
Productive and Fun Workplace
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LouisianaApril 25, 2016
A typical day at work was even paced and rewarding. The hardest part of the job was connecting with students. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the progress of each student.
Pros
Open and supportive environment
Cons
difficult students
School
Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 8, 2016
Had to balance the work I had to do for school and the training that I had to do for LSU swimming. There were also meetings and study hall hours that were required. Over all it was fun to be an athlete but it was very time consuming and hard to keep everything balanced with school and training.
Pros
Free Cloths
Cons
Very little time
Nice development opportunities
Zamorano 4-H Visiting Scholar Program (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 15, 2016
A place where job is a fun way to learn from others. My hardest moment was homesickness since I was an international scholar visitor.
Great university with little financial support from state.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 8, 2016
Great place to work. Very low salary for adjunct professors. Great department chair. Great students. Good graduate program for gifted certification.
Management makes the difference
Consultant/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 6, 2016
The university offers excellent job security. Unfortunately, the compensation is less than average. The extensive leave policy is a plus.
I was here for grad school
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 13, 2016
I went to LSU to work on some PhD work. Typical graduate school. just workk a lot of hours on research. I worked too much for little gain.
Work-Study Program, Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 26, 2015
Working at LSU gave me insight into office environment and the duties that come with being an administrative assistant. I was able to make the informed decision that that is the sort of career I'd thrive at.
Great Benefits but no opportunities for advancement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 29, 2015
Some of the people at LSU are great to work with and some or not, just like everywhere else. The benefits are great, but are slowly dwindling because of budget cuts in the state. The compensation packages at LSU are minimal at best. It is a state job, so it won't be as good as the private sector, but it still should at least be competitive ...and it is not.

4.3