Louisiana State University Employee Reviews

ok job
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJuly 11, 2017
proctor exams to insure that no one was cheating, make grade and teach lesson plans for biology 1208, performed gene mutation, cloning, and fluorescent protein tagging
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Adjunct
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  StatewideJuly 10, 2017
Excellent university to work for.as an adjunct instructor. Faculty members are given resources, support and training needed to be successful in the classroom and online.
Pros
Organizational Culture and professionalism
Cons
Work environment beginning to improve
Eunice - Instructor (Current Employee) –  Eunice, LAJuly 7, 2017
LSUE is an excellent University to work for. The environment is family oriented and the students are eager to learn. I enjoy my job tremendously, but, faculty and staff are long overdue a pay raise and there has been no possibility of progression, in regards to a full time contract or professorship, since I've been employed in August of 2010.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Compensation
Too bad it is closed and torn down
Registered Nurse - Staff (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA 70805June 30, 2017
Loved working at this hospital. Never a dull moment, always the opportunity to learn and provide care to a large variety of patients. Was no time to sit, hardly ever took any breaks or even lunch break.
Pros
Great experience, great learning atmosphere
Cons
facility closed and torn down
Relaxed environment but gets job done
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 14, 2017
I enjoyed working here. The people are nice and the work is easy if you understand the system. Can get stressful at times but everyone works together and helps out where they can.
research assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 13, 2017
LSU is a culture of it's own. I feel it'd be inappropriate to comment on my job experience there as I was new to college, new to working in college, etc. Mostly just fond memories of profs encouraging me to work on papers, and one particular memory of a professor advising me as I graduated and tried to figure out if I should go to law school or grad school. It was very sincere and helpful.
Unbeat work atmosphere
Captionist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 12, 2017
Being a captionist at any college, let alone a huge university, is like a continuous learning experience. Working with the hearing impaired/hard of hearing was new to me but an absolute blessing. Hardest part of the job was creating your personal dictionary for c-print.
Pros
fast beat
Cons
understanding certain professors
Enlightening
Academic Coach (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 30, 2017
A typical work day consisted of meeting students and reviewing their work. It also included offering suggestions about how to study for assignments. What I learned is that student athletes are privileged. The workplace culture was dynamic.
The hardest part of the job was to get students to meet while the most enjoyable was working with them.
Lsu
Veterans Affairs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 30, 2017
Productive workplace where employees are professional and take their jobs seriously. The environment is very supportive of all student athletic activities.
Web developer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 30, 2017
Louisiana State University is a nice place to work for. Gained a lot of knowledge while working on a project. Lot of development work in dot net and javascript and overall web development.
Great work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 29, 2017
I love this job and my boss. I was an office assistant. I shredded papers fixed coffee. Ran errands and office stuff. It was the most relaxing and stressful job I've ever had.
Does not encourage best of employees
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 27, 2017
Although my boss was absolutely wonderful, the overall atmosphere is one in which non-faculty members, including graduate students, are treated as second class citizens. The pay is not enough to live on, meaning that many have to get second or even third jobs, and the health insurance is terrible. This university clearly does not care about its classified employees or its graduate students (who often make even less than classified employees). The people who work at LSU, despite such negatives, are wonderful and willing to help individuals in any way that they can.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Pay
It's as good as your relationship with whomever you are working for
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 23, 2017
The experience depends on who you are working with. Some people are more considerate and accommodating than others. Has potential to be highly fulfilling experience. You may have lots of leeway to shape how involved your role is, the nature of your tasks, etc.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 14, 2017
At Louisiana State University you can enjoy a great weather and work environment. Close to the Baton Rouge Lakes and a beautiful campus with many dinning options
Not impressed
Academic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 8, 2017
The boss wasn't a very like-able person and the job wasn't as fulfilling as expected. The program was terminated after operating for only 3 years. I was in the first group of people to be involved, and the program was terminated the year after I left, after the founder quit.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
No continuity
Senior Design Project
Electrical Engineer - Project (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 4, 2017
This was a capstone project, making it not a full-time position. Students were divided in mixed groups, i.e. people from different backgrounds. Communication was easy enough to get the project going. Well organized meetings were key to the progress of the project.
Busy
Electrician Master (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 24, 2017
Maintaining housing for university students. There is always something that needs repairing. Campus environment is relaxing. I learned a lot about residential and commercial repairs.
fun place to work, no room for growth
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 19, 2017
It is good to work with a variety of technology resources and work with the flexibility of a people; however, the career development and compensation growth is little to none.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
stuck in salary under state governance
Interesting work experience
Reactor Designer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 17, 2017
In this job, I worked with an LSU graduate student testing the functionality of different materials used to grow bacteria for a water filter. We compared artificial plastic beads with natural rice hulls. I learned how to test water for its nitrate/nitrite levels. I designed and constructed multiple acrylic tanks to optimize the flow directions for maxim filtration efficiency. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a comfortable environment and doing something I had an extreme interest in.
Pros
Everyday was interesting
Cons
No consistent work schedule
don't wait until you are 40 years to get into grad school!
College of Engineering Dean's Fellow (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 10, 2017
As a grad student, I worked very hard, every single day, from 6-6. I still had trouble trying to keep up with the 21-year olds that had fresh undergraduate degrees, and didn't need any sleep. I had a wife and a house, and I could not keep up. My experimental apparatus also never worked, hence the lack of a dissertation; no data, nothing to write about!
Pros
flextime, if you had the time
Cons
very high pressure, at least for me