Louisiana State University Employee Reviews

Great work environment
Accountant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 27, 2012
Most days in the LSU Bursar's Office are extremely busy, assisting students and working with outside entities. I have learned so much about the higher education system than I could list here. I enjoy working with all of my co-workers and if/when I was to leave I would miss working with them.

In my position as Account Supervisor, I work a lot with students and parents trying to get into school or trying to figure out how to pay for school. I enjoy assisting students and figuring out how they can afford school, I also get most excited when I solve a problem or balance an account that other individuals have been unable to do. One of the hardest parts of my job is when I have to refuse a student to register for school but it is part of the job and although I do not like it, I handle it in the most professional way and do not get emotionally involved...some of the stories are truly heart breaking.

The main issue in the Bursar's Office is the management, or lack thereof. Issues/problems are not handled. Tasks are not evenly and properly distributed. There is lack of communication between management and the rest of the office.

There are so many thing I love about this job but do not see myself progressing. I have stressed my interest in progressing and making changes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our department as a whole but have gotten nowhere. At this time, I am ready for change.
Pros
excellent benefits package
Cons
management
Productive and fun working place
Media Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 21, 2016
On a typical day I would provide technical assistance to professors and event managers, set up and run equipment for employee use, train new employees, and conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and resolve problems to provide technical assistance and support.
This job strengthened my communication skills and professional demeanor. Furthermore, this job fine tuned my trouble shooting skills and helped me develop a sense of teamwork and how to work with others when trouble shooting technical problems. Moreover, I was able to almost perfect my time management skills with this job. Juggling the roles of a full time student, part time employee with LSU, conducting my own Psychological experiment, and participating in the GEAUX teach program have all taught me how to effectively manage and organize my time.
I would say hardest part of the job was learning how to effectively manage my time working along with my other roles at the University. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning to work closely and well with others, allowing me to network and gain new acquaintances.
Good workplace if you like overtime
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 12, 2015
This is a review of the Police Department, not LSU as a whole.

Over all, the department is a good one to work for. The pay is about average for a police department, however you do not receive State Supplemental Pay. There are a lot of overtime possibilities, however, overtime is mandatory and the only way to get rid of it is to have someone else agree to take your overtime shift. You work the standard shift work schedule from 7-7 and you rotate between days and nights monthly. That first week after rotation is brutal and as soon as you get accustomed to days or nights, you flip back and have to readjust. The call volume is low, allows plenty of time to be proactive.
Pros
laid back work environment, lots of overtime, independent work environment
Cons
lots of mandatory overtime, micro-managing from the senior ranks
Gives Opportunity to work with different people
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 11, 2013
The position I hold in Louisiana State University is a Graduate Assistant. I work under an IT manager. A typical day at work involves detailing with different computers problems with different kind of people. My IT manager assigns a job to me. Most of the time the job is to install a new computer for a professor, map the user to server, formatting computer, Installing operating system etc. The most enjoyable part of my job is to remove the virus. Doing research, reading online installing different tools to remove the virus. Also I get a chance to work with different person each day. Some users are very friendly and some are very reserved and kind of strict. This job helped to learn to deal with different people and to work under pressure.
Great coworkers, but poor management, government policies, low payment, and insufficient/unstable funding make it a difficult place to stay
Research Associate - Biochemistry (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 27, 2015
The work atmosphere is laid back, but demands results, which is the best part of working in the life sciences building. I became a well trained scientist working for my professor, and I learned many useful techniques and a lot of what it means to research professionally. Dealing with paperwork and abiding by policies is to be expected, but the whole purchasing system, compliances system, work order system, etc. are a horrible chore and take time and focus away from getting work done.
Pros
mostly good coworkers, laid back atmosphere
Cons
poor funding, terrible online and procedural requirements, low pay
Productive and fun workplace environment with emphasis on student development
Coordinator, Fitness and Wellness (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 28, 2014
At my current position at LSU University Recreation, it is very versatile in terms of day to day operations. Every day is different therefore have learned many transferable skills. As Coordinator, Fitness & Wellness I have broadened my skills in conflict management, scheduling, staff management, marketing, business administration, human resources, special events, customer service, program coordination, assessment, and more. I enjoy having the opportunity to manage a great student staff of approximately 45 and develop them as students and future professionals. I have a passion for helping others and that is what I love about my position.
Political environment with little interest in change
Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 27, 2015
LSU seems like it would be the perfect place to work; you are giving back to your community, there is a lot of diversity in products, etc. and there are some awesome benefits. LSU has no interest in growing or changing business operations. To get anything to happen, takes 12 levels of political controls to approve and then another month for it to take place. The amount of hoops that are necessary to make changes or grow make this a difficult employer to work for. Just to get a new employee hired will take 1+ months, so good luck going through that process. If you do not care about business, increasing efficiency or striving to be better, than LSU might be a good fit.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
Poor business acumen
My first REAL job great!!
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 23, 2015
I was employed with LSU for over 18yrs. I started in Medical Records and I worked my way up to Administrative Assistant. My jobs included, Front Desk Admissions, Lab Clerk, and Lab Test Preparation. I enjoyed meeting the patients everyday. I knew some were more ill than others and I tried my best to make sure that each patient was treated with dignity and respect. I met one young lady as a patient and we have been friends ever since. The hardest part of the job was losing a patient. Seeing them daily or weekly a relationship was established and when you realize that they are no longer here, it's very hard. The most enjoyable meeting new patients.
Pros
Great work place for advancement
Very nice office and very interesting work in horticulture.
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LAOctober 7, 2014
I answered the phone for many of the agents (4-H, Nutrition, Home education, marine life, etc) I kept up with brouchers for all departments and kept the files for audio/visual equipment. The best part of the job was the Botanical garden show every year. I also liked keeping records and communicating with all of the garden clubs of the area. Creating a Horticulture News Letter quarterly was quite a job due to coordinating the local agents input into a state wide sample letter.
Pros
communicating with master gardeners, garden clubs and nola botanical gardens.
Cons
that newsletter was difficult.
easy to find help in my department, good facility, good working attitude, many opportunity to meet professionals
Graduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  life sciences buildingMay 7, 2014
Every day at work is fulfilled with lab work and some day you need to keep reading at home.

I learned most of my molecular genetic and genomics and classic plant pathology knowledge during five and half years in my department.

Management is organized and efficient.

Co-workers are very helpful and resourceful.

Hardest part is the language for me, as a foreigner, I am not expressive enough.

Most enjoyable part is the time we saw result from experiments.
Pros
helpful and resourceful faculties
Cons
classes are a little overwhelming
Great place to learn
Communication Technician (Current Employee) –  David BoydJune 6, 2014
Learned how the communication system in the university worked and how to troubleshoot different problems i was encountered with. I had the opportunity to teach other co-workers who were just starting how to troubleshoot or approach different given situations. The hardest part of the job sometimes was whenever an solution to a problem couldn't be encountered and i had to come up with a untypical solution or knowing what to do next, even though it could have been hard it was a challenge which made it enjoyable.
Pros
learned a lot about the communication system in the university
Cons
low salary
Opportunity to "wear many hats"
Psychology Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 17, 2014
I had the opportunity to work with community clients and students. I conducted interviews, evaluations, performed scoring and interpretation, and provided verbal and written feedback, as well as treatment recommendations. My co-workers and I often brainstormed ideas and offered support to one another as needed. The hardest part of the job was motivating counseling clients to follow interventions. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of responsibilities I was given. The hours spent working in addition to class time kept me interested and on my toes.
I had the opportunity to help people conduct with their studies
Research Assistant at LSVI (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 10, 2012
A typical day consisted of me going to the Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired. There I would assist studies on autistic children. I collected data which in turn was used in the studies as research. The management consisted of doctoral students and they were always considerate of my undergraduate needs. My co-workers were my peers from my classes so we always got along well. The hardest part of the job was the training to be qualified to score the data. The most enjoyable part was the chance to interact with the kids.
Ok, but not great
Unclassified Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 19, 2014
LSU faces many challenges: legislative budgets, institutional reorganization, employee disgruntlement, etc.

LSU has the potential to be an ideal workplace, but organizational disgruntlement often overshadows the positives. Faculty, staff, and students sometimes behave as entitled two year-olds, unable to compromise and achieve a satisfying result for all involved. The benefits are good, especially the health insurance, but the legislatively mandated retirement contributions skew too heavily in the favor of the organization, rather than the personnel.
Not much to say, I was a graduate student
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA and St. Gabriel, LANovember 5, 2013
I had to balance classes, research and a second job. Growing bacterial cultures to produce butanol required periodic sampling. Time management was essential when it came to the inoculation schedule, sampling, classes and meeting personal training clients (for my second job). I had to drive to the lab at all hours of the day and night, weekends and holidays as the sampling schedule required.

I learned how to use the HPLC and GC.

It was typical graduate research, meaning unsteady and long hours and little pay
Pros
i earned my phd
Cons
barely a livable wage
LSUE
Student Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Eunice, LAAugust 7, 2015
Student Radiologic Technologist: Excelling and confidently performing a variety of studies, including radiographs, mobile studies, and fluoroscopic procedures. Aiding patients’ state of mind by providing soothing hospitality acts, even during traumatic events. Assisted and became knowledgeable in Advanced Modalities, such as Computed Tomography and Cardiovascular Lab. Clinical rotations at: Opelousas General Health System, University Medical Center, Acadian Medical Center, and Mercy Regional Medical Center.
Population and healthcare management of largely undeserved Louisiana residents
Physician of Podiatric Medicine (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 11, 2013
Working for LSU-HSC is a rewarding experience interacting with like minded purpose driven employees to provide quality healthcare to our residents. Management of LSU-HSC has the same core belief that all indicvidulas should be entitled to affordable quality healthcare. My typical day consist of 20-30 pts, management of chronic disease and general care.
Pros
purpose driven staff and good patient interaction.
Cons
space limitations post-katrina
Team Member and Leader in Senior Design Project
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 12, 2014
- Order materials
- Maintain documents
- Manage budget
- Brainstorm ideas with a group of 3
- Call services to obtain record data of location
- Dig, plant, and water the reeds
- Used AutoCad and Inventor to draw make up of project
- Presenting to professors and peers
- Answered questions during and after presentation of project
Pros
reliable and resourceful resources from professors, hard working team members
Cons
limited time being present together being full time students and part-time employees but manageable
Great College Experience/ Job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 23, 2013
A typical day at work would consist of an afternoon at the track. I learned many hands on skills, such as repairing track equipment. I got to travel with the track team and on those trips I had to video events and be an assistant to the head coach. My co-workers were great and we really bonded well during our 3 years together. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the school work while traveling every week. I would get burnt out but I pushed through and got it done. I enjoyed getting to travel the country.
Workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 6, 2013
One day at work I learned how to create LB Medium plates when I was a research assistant at Louisiana State University. My co-workers and I went at lunch at Chimes to discuss our research. The hardest part of the job was combining all of my research and interpreting it into my own words on a poster. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting my experiment to work and getting a chance to experiment on different things.
Pros
long lunch breaks, experimenting, getting paid
Cons
taxes out of check

4.3