Louisiana State University Employee Reviews in United States

LSU was an excellent part time employer
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 22, 2016
While working for graduate students I was able to build experience in many areas of the field while having help the whole way.
Health and Physical Education Building (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAApril 7, 2016
It was a great place to work. Very flexible with my school schedule. Opportunities to grow and learn more. Management is great, but sometimes a little disorganized
Great School
Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 16, 2016
Awesome school, have gotten a great education there. I would recommend it. The atmosphere is great as well as the level of teacher you get here. Fantastic all around.
Admin
Chief Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 7, 2016
In an school setting which LSU Medical Center is. Had good working relationships with all co-workers. Nothing was hard working at LSU
Pros
Able to get some school time
Cons
NA
I would not recommend working there
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 6, 2015
Management was extremely poor. Decisions and rules were made on the spot and were different for different people. Several people were let go without an explanation. Hours were long and salary was pretty low compared to other institutions
Intensive program
Statistical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 12, 2016
Like all the professors who are responsible and nice to every single student. Coursework is reasonable. Provide students more opportunities.
nice place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 3, 2016
I go work at 9. have lunch break at 12. come back to work at 1. leave work at 3.
i learned very few things.
my co-workers are nice
the hardest part is that I am on my own. I have to learn everything myself.
Good career in a good environment
Member of the Faculty (Current Employee) –  Eunice, LAJune 24, 2015
Higher education is a great career due to the working environment and the freedom to do the job. Also, adequate benefits and a lot of time off. LSU is no exception.
Political environment with little interest in change
Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 27, 2015
LSU seems like it would be the perfect place to work; you are giving back to your community, there is a lot of diversity in products, etc. and there are some awesome benefits. LSU has no interest in growing or changing business operations. To get anything to happen, takes 12 levels of political controls to approve and then another month for it to take place. The amount of hoops that are necessary to make changes or grow make this a difficult employer to work for. Just to get a new employee hired will take 1+ months, so good luck going through that process. If you do not care about business, increasing efficiency or striving to be better, than LSU might be a good fit.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
Poor business acumen
Not much to say, I was a graduate student
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA and St. Gabriel, LANovember 5, 2013
I had to balance classes, research and a second job. Growing bacterial cultures to produce butanol required periodic sampling. Time management was essential when it came to the inoculation schedule, sampling, classes and meeting personal training clients (for my second job). I had to drive to the lab at all hours of the day and night, weekends and holidays as the sampling schedule required.

I learned how to use the HPLC and GC.

It was typical graduate research, meaning unsteady and long hours and little pay
Pros
i earned my phd
Cons
barely a livable wage

Want to know more about Louisiana State University?

Ask a question
Great workplace
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 25, 2016
The workplace was very interesting. There was always something to do. Working with the students was an honor and the staff was friendly.
Long standing Career
Cleanroom Laboratory Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 1, 2015
Nice to work with fun and bright student researchers from all over the world. An international mecca of people with vast cultural backgrounds
Pros
Invested Career path
Cons
budget cuts, politics
Very fun place to work. Great supervisor, patient and willing to teach me how to run the office.
Secretary in Radiology (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 9, 2015
Great place to work. This was the first employment I had, and learned a lot about how to work with others, how to be a team player, and how there is no I in team.
Pros
Pretty laid back environment.
Cons
Loved working there.
GEAUX Tigers
Professional staff (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 7, 2013
LSU is an overall good place to work, but perhaps not for a life-long career. Most employees are loyal to the institution and relatively collegial. Compensation issues need to be addressed urgently or the institution will continue to lose great talent.
Pros
beautiful campus, great benefits & time-off during holidays
Cons
no merit increases in 4 years, work politics
Lsue
Student Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Eunice, LAAugust 7, 2015
Student Radiologic Technologist: Excelling and confidently performing a variety of studies, including radiographs, mobile studies, and fluoroscopic procedures. Aiding patients’ state of mind by providing soothing hospitality acts, even during traumatic events. Assisted and became knowledgeable in Advanced Modalities, such as Computed Tomography and Cardiovascular Lab. Clinical rotations at: Opelousas General Health System, University Medical Center, Acadian Medical Center, and Mercy Regional Medical Center.
Fun place to work...
Administrative Assistant 5 (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 24, 2015
My review of the University would be that as a whole the benefits of me working there outweigh the changes that incurred with recent budget cuts. My direct supervisor is very knowledgeable about the entire university's processes and procedures and I have learned a lot from him. My work and life balances are very flexible. It is a fun environment to work in especially when I have a chance to work directly with students.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Budget Cuts
Amazing!
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 4, 2015
This is a truly amazing place to work. Flexible schedule is a real plus, as my immediate supervisor knew I am in the MLA program. I learned so much.
Loved working in a Laboratory environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 18, 2015
This job helped me to determine what field of research I wanted to pursue a career in. It introduced me to a lot of what needs to be known in terms of research techniques and basic sanitary techniques required for research. I definitely want to continue a career in a research field that I can use what I've learned here.
Good Place
Neurology resident (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 27, 2015
Good Place, colleagues are friendly, management is a good team, patient is top priority, good coverage, insurance and salary
Pros
salary, insurance, retirement
Great experience
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 2, 2015
Working for LSU as a Teachers Assistant was a great opportunity. Everyone was nice, and it was a great experience for my career.
Pros
Productive and great experience.
Cons
Unorganized staff.

4.3