Louisiana State University Employee Reviews

internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  baton rouge, LAJanuary 10, 2015
my mentor was not there most of the time. I found it difficult to determine what i was actually supposed to do. she pawned me off on her graduate students who also had no idea what i was supposed to be working on. i would spend most of my time attempting to work on my project, going to her office for her only for her to be busy and come back several times to eventually just have found that she had left without ever giving me the chance to talk with her
It's not a career job for me.
Custodian 1 (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 2, 2012
A typical day at is working in three to four buildings, and cleaning other buildings when some one calls out.
I've learned to balance my work, I had to set up a routine.
Some co-workers are freindly,some not,it does not bother me.
Keeping up with three to four building,then have to clean someone else's buuilding when they call off.
Working in engineer buildings.
Cons
pay for parking on the street
Experiential and fun
IT support (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
A good way to learn hardware and software development as well as encouragement for future and long term employment. Shared office space with college co-workers to work and troubleshoot system hardware. This job is a good launching pad for a foot in the door at employment as we work under a professional Network Administrator who is fun, caring, and encouraging to everyone in the department.
Pros
very flexible and lenient with school schedule
Cons
low pay and lack of micromanagement
Population and healthcare management of largely undeserved Louisiana residents
Physician of Podiatric Medicine (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 11, 2013
Working for LSU-HSC is a rewarding experience interacting with like minded purpose driven employees to provide quality healthcare to our residents. Management of LSU-HSC has the same core belief that all indicvidulas should be entitled to affordable quality healthcare. My typical day consist of 20-30 pts, management of chronic disease and general care.
Pros
purpose driven staff and good patient interaction.
Cons
space limitations post-katrina
Fun place to work...
Administrative Assistant 5 (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 24, 2015
My review of the University would be that as a whole the benefits of me working there outweigh the changes that incurred with recent budget cuts. My direct supervisor is very knowledgeable about the entire university's processes and procedures and I have learned a lot from him. My work and life balances are very flexible. It is a fun environment to work in especially when I have a chance to work directly with students.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Budget Cuts
Workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 6, 2013
One day at work I learned how to create LB Medium plates when I was a research assistant at Louisiana State University. My co-workers and I went at lunch at Chimes to discuss our research. The hardest part of the job was combining all of my research and interpreting it into my own words on a poster. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting my experiment to work and getting a chance to experiment on different things.
Pros
long lunch breaks, experimenting, getting paid
Cons
taxes out of check
Lousiana State University
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 9, 2013
A typical day is conducting courses and spending the remainder of the day in an office. I learned a lot working here. Management is fantastic and they are all teachers themselves. Co-workers will change from one semester to the next, so it's always a steady flow. The hardest part of the job is balancing work and school. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the students.
Productive workplace advancement is encouraged
Purchasing Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 18, 2015
A typical workday is pleasant, teamwork; the hardest part is finding the best vendor for the job. We were lucky to have so many great vendors to choose from. My most enjoyable part of the job was cheering other co-workers for promotions or degrees.
Pros
Discount on books, and the opportunity to study while working; education encouraged by management
Great environment to prosper
Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2015
As a student athlete at LSU everyday was a awesome experience. I enjoyed every class and everyday of practice and workouts. The coaches and professors were always there to make sure I achieved my goals I set for myself. They have helped me to become the professional that I am today. The most enjoyable part was being picked to compete in the NCAA Tournament.
Pros
Great facilites and great mentors.
LSUE
Student Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Eunice, LAAugust 7, 2015
Student Radiologic Technologist: Excelling and confidently performing a variety of studies, including radiographs, mobile studies, and fluoroscopic procedures. Aiding patients’ state of mind by providing soothing hospitality acts, even during traumatic events. Assisted and became knowledgeable in Advanced Modalities, such as Computed Tomography and Cardiovascular Lab. Clinical rotations at: Opelousas General Health System, University Medical Center, Acadian Medical Center, and Mercy Regional Medical Center.
GEAUX Tigers
Professional staff (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 7, 2013
LSU is an overall good place to work, but perhaps not for a life-long career. Most employees are loyal to the institution and relatively collegial. Compensation issues need to be addressed urgently or the institution will continue to lose great talent.
Pros
beautiful campus, great benefits & time-off during holidays
Cons
no merit increases in 4 years, work politics
Discriminatory toward Underrepresented Minorities and those with disabilities
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 9, 2016
Horrible Experience
filled with false promises and greed
Management was inexperienced and rude
Hardest part of the job was getting up in the morning knowing that you have to return to such a caustic environment.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the free food that randomly appeared at seminars.
Pros
EXCELLENT MENTAL HEALTH CARE CENTER
Productive workplace that assited the students who had a disablity
Clerical Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 18, 2013
-I input data information, assists students, scheduling, and delivered.
-I learned about the different disabilities students faced.
-The counselors and manager were reasonable, understanding and feasible.
-My co-workers were great and we got along great.
-As I look back, I don't recall any difficulties on the job.
-I enjoy my job because I learned about the different disabilities and met new people.
Productive and fun workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Lousiana, USAAugust 29, 2012
It was an interesting experience because I learned about forestry. I usually get up at 6 am and get the bus to the office. My advisor during the internship was extremely helpful and friendly. The hardes part of the job was to get the water samples from the swamp because it was during the winter season and we had to drive a lot to get into the swamps. I enjoyed the morning because everything was fresh.
Great Benefits but no opportunities for advancement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 29, 2015
Some of the people at LSU are great to work with and some or not, just like everywhere else. The benefits are great, but are slowly dwindling because of budget cuts in the state. The compensation packages at LSU are minimal at best. It is a state job, so it won't be as good as the private sector, but it still should at least be competitive ...and it is not.
Friendly and helpful
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 31, 2011
I worked in the philosophy department as a graduate assistant. My interactions are limited to the secretaries in the philosophy office, so I cannot speak for the entire school-wide system. The employment website was fairly simple to navigate with forms available for download right from the site. I was able to communicate and get help solving any problems I had in a timely manner.
offering the opportunity for professional development, experience, and advancement
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 12, 2013
I learned a lot from the work at LSU, such as the most popular models that are applied in Civil Engineering. Also, I get the chance to communicate with the professionals from the other field, which broad my knowlege and change the way I usually think and solve problems.
Productive and fun place to work.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eunice, LAJanuary 3, 2014
I start my day checking the mail. I would schedule appointments with students. Answer the phone, retrieve faxed job listings and post them on the board. Type and send out business letters. Assist in conducting career fairs, performance surveys, and workshops.
Pros
learned how to conduct career fairs and help struggling students.
Cons
pay
Friendly faces, busy workplace
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 25, 2014
My day at LSU worked around my class schedule so hours were flexible. I was able to use my talents as a designer to promote the Center for Academic Success. I publicized student and faculty events, tutoring sessions and workshops. As I got my Masters in graphic design I was able to continue my career and better my education.
Great Place to work
Career Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 14, 2013
This was an enjoyable work experience because it allowed the counselor to help the students figure out what exactly they wanted to do with their life and if they were up for the task to complete the degree required for that life they want.
Pros
aiding kids in attaining their aspirations.
Cons
not getting paid.

4.3