Louisiana State University

Louisiana State University Employer Reviews

Friendly faces, busy workplace
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 25, 2014
My day at LSU worked around my class schedule so hours were flexible. I was able to use my talents as a designer to promote the Center for Academic Success. I publicized student and faculty events, tutoring sessions and workshops. As I got my Masters in graphic design I was able to continue my career and better my education.
Advising
Graduate Assistant Academic Advising (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 23, 2014
Very good; Good work life balance; 8-5. Personal Growth. Work with students to help them grown and develop
Ok, but not great
Unclassified Staff Member (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 19, 2014
LSU faces many challenges: legislative budgets, institutional reorganization, employee disgruntlement, etc.

LSU has the potential to be an ideal workplace, but organizational disgruntlement often overshadows the positives. Faculty, staff, and students sometimes behave as entitled two year-olds, unable to compromise and achieve a satisfying result for – more... all involved. The benefits are good, especially the health insurance, but the legislatively mandated retirement contributions skew too heavily in the favor of the organization, rather than the personnel. – less
Overall acceptable workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: alone, boring
I spent most of my time alone at the front of the store. There was always something to do, though. If there were no customers there was generally stocking, cleaning, or stickers to pull. It was a good starter job.
Great Experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 23, 2014
Great job with amazing flexibility. Adequate pay and benefits. Supervisors were great and I learned a lot at this job.
Team Member and Leader in Senior Design Project
Team Member (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: reliable and resourceful resources from professors, hard working team members
Cons: limited time being present together being full time students and part-time employees but manageable
- Order materials
- Maintain documents
- Manage budget
- Brainstorm ideas with a group of 3
- Call services to obtain record data of location
- Dig, plant, and water the reeds
- Used AutoCad and Inventor to draw make up of project
- Presenting to professors and peers
- Answered questions during and after presentation of project
Good Experience
Dr. James Gilmore Jr (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 4, 2014
First "job" as a volunteer for an economic development group for Baton Rouge. Learned a lot about city politics and what the needs of the lower income areas were.
Productive and fun workplace environment with emphasis on student development
Coordinator, Fitness and Wellness (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 28, 2014
At my current position at LSU University Recreation, it is very versatile in terms of day to day operations. Every day is different therefore have learned many transferable skills. As Coordinator, Fitness & Wellness I have broadened my skills in conflict management, scheduling, staff management, marketing, business administration, human resources, special – more... events, customer service, program coordination, assessment, and more. I enjoy having the opportunity to manage a great student staff of approximately 45 and develop them as students and future professionals. I have a passion for helping others and that is what I love about my position. – less
I worked as an orientation leader
Parent Orientation Leader (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 23, 2014
Working with students and parents are both very rewarding and challenging. You learn that aligning with students and their parents is really all they desire from you. It is awesome to be able to share your passion for LSU with new students and their parents.
Changing Lives
Recruiting Operations Officer (Current Employee), Lafayette, LAJanuary 21, 2014
I have the ability to shape and change lives on a daily basis. Working with a team we help guide and direct with exceptional leadership skills future officers of tomorrows military.

Through interviewing, mentoring, leading, retaining we continue to see great progress in todays future for tomorrow.
Not Bad
Full time Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Bolton High SchoolJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: good job to get you on your feet
Cons: no stability
Pay is good, job is okay if you enjoy working with children on a day to day basis.
Work Study
Undergraduate Teacher's Aid (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 20, 2014
Several job opportunities are available to students through work study
Good Work/Life Balance
Director (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 6, 2014
Great place to work for those interested in supporting higher education initiatives in Louisiana.
Productive and fun place to work.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), Eunice, LAJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: learned how to conduct career fairs and help struggling students.
Cons: pay
I start my day checking the mail. I would schedule appointments with students. Answer the phone, retrieve faxed job listings and post them on the board. Type and send out business letters. Assist in conducting career fairs, performance surveys, and workshops.
teachnig is fun
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Shreveport, LADecember 12, 2013
Pros: great extra job
Cons: dealing with students
I had a great semester teaching students in the communications department.
Amazing place to work
GIS Analyst II (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LADecember 10, 2013
LSU is an amazing organization with vast resources, current technology and the drive to be the best research and development institution in America. Management is terrific, the hours are amazing, freedom to do what is needed to complete tasks, great pay and awesome state government benefits.
Excellent workplace with innovation , research and education
Research Associate /Instructor (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LANovember 19, 2013
Pros: excellence in scientific research, education
Cons: compensation
Excellence in scientific investigation and education
Dedicated, loyal associates
warm and welcoming workplace
Exciting to teach students
Not much to say, I was a graduate student
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LA and St. Gabriel, LANovember 5, 2013
Pros: i earned my phd
Cons: barely a livable wage
I had to balance classes, research and a second job. Growing bacterial cultures to produce butanol required periodic sampling. Time management was essential when it came to the inoculation schedule, sampling, classes and meeting personal training clients (for my second job). I had to drive to the lab at all hours of the day and night, weekends and holidays – more... as the sampling schedule required.

I learned how to use the HPLC and GC.

It was typical graduate research, meaning unsteady and long hours and little pay – less
Charge Nurse
Charge Nurse, Med Surgical Floor (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAOctober 12, 2013
Top Trauma Hospital in the state. I saw many different conditions and worked with many different individuals.
Great place for learning and applied what you learned to actually problems
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LASeptember 17, 2013
Great place! Everyone is nice! My work needs a lot of cooperation with the other coworkers. So I developed a excellent communication skills.