Louisiana State University Employee Reviews

I was here for grad school
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 13, 2016
I went to LSU to work on some PhD work. Typical graduate school. just workk a lot of hours on research. I worked too much for little gain.
Good career in a good environment
Member of the Faculty (Current Employee) –  Eunice, LAJune 24, 2015
Higher education is a great career due to the working environment and the freedom to do the job. Also, adequate benefits and a lot of time off. LSU is no exception.
Productive workplace advancement is encouraged
Purchasing Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 18, 2015
A typical workday is pleasant, teamwork; the hardest part is finding the best vendor for the job. We were lucky to have so many great vendors to choose from. My most enjoyable part of the job was cheering other co-workers for promotions or degrees.
Pros
Discount on books, and the opportunity to study while working; education encouraged by management
Amazing place to work
GIS Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 10, 2013
LSU is an amazing organization with vast resources, current technology and the drive to be the best research and development institution in America. Management is terrific, the hours are amazing, freedom to do what is needed to complete tasks, great pay and awesome state government benefits.
Productive and fun working place
Media Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 21, 2016
On a typical day I would provide technical assistance to professors and event managers, set up and run equipment for employee use, train new employees, and conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and resolve problems to provide technical assistance and support.
This job strengthened my communication skills and professional demeanor. Furthermore, this job fine tuned my trouble shooting skills and helped me develop a sense of teamwork and how to work with others when trouble shooting technical problems. Moreover, I was able to almost perfect my time management skills with this job. Juggling the roles of a full time student, part time employee with LSU, conducting my own Psychological experiment, and participating in the GEAUX teach program have all taught me how to effectively manage and organize my time.
I would say hardest part of the job was learning how to effectively manage my time working along with my other roles at the University. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning to work closely and well with others, allowing me to network and gain new acquaintances.
My first REAL job great!!
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 23, 2015
I was employed with LSU for over 18yrs. I started in Medical Records and I worked my way up to Administrative Assistant. My jobs included, Front Desk Admissions, Lab Clerk, and Lab Test Preparation. I enjoyed meeting the patients everyday. I knew some were more ill than others and I tried my best to make sure that each patient was treated with dignity and respect. I met one young lady as a patient and we have been friends ever since. The hardest part of the job was losing a patient. Seeing them daily or weekly a relationship was established and when you realize that they are no longer here, it's very hard. The most enjoyable meeting new patients.
Pros
Great work place for advancement
Productive Workplace with lots of student interaction
Graduate Resident Director (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 30, 2016
I interact with students on a daily basis and get to see them learn and grow to become great adults. The hardest part is being on-cal for campus and dealing with so many emotional crisis. However, it is rewarding to be able to impact someone in their time of need.
Pros
Meal Plan
Great entry level job/atmosphere
Asst Director Facilities- Dept of University Rec (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 12, 2013
Worked lots of hours since the facility was open 110+ hours per week. Worked with a great group of co-workers.
Pros
Benefits & Retirement Package
Cons
Sometime long hours with no overtime pay
Health and Physical Education Building (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAApril 7, 2016
It was a great place to work. Very flexible with my school schedule. Opportunities to grow and learn more. Management is great, but sometimes a little disorganized
Good Place
Neurology resident (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 27, 2015
Good Place, colleagues are friendly, management is a good team, patient is top priority, good coverage, insurance and salary
Pros
Salary, Insurance, retirement
Great work environment
Accountant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 27, 2012
Most days in the LSU Bursar's Office are extremely busy, assisting students and working with outside entities. I have learned so much about the higher education system than I could list here. I enjoy working with all of my co-workers and if/when I was to leave I would miss working with them.

In my position as Account Supervisor, I work a lot with students and parents trying to get into school or trying to figure out how to pay for school. I enjoy assisting students and figuring out how they can afford school, I also get most excited when I solve a problem or balance an account that other individuals have been unable to do. One of the hardest parts of my job is when I have to refuse a student to register for school but it is part of the job and although I do not like it, I handle it in the most professional way and do not get emotionally involved...some of the stories are truly heart breaking.

The main issue in the Bursar's Office is the management, or lack thereof. Issues/problems are not handled. Tasks are not evenly and properly distributed. There is lack of communication between management and the rest of the office.

There are so many thing I love about this job but do not see myself progressing. I have stressed my interest in progressing and making changes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our department as a whole but have gotten nowhere. At this time, I am ready for change.
Pros
excellent benefits package
Cons
management
Productive and Fun Workplace
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LouisianaApril 25, 2016
A typical day at work was even paced and rewarding. The hardest part of the job was connecting with students. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the progress of each student.
Pros
Open and supportive environment
Cons
difficult students
Excellent workplace with innovation , research and education
Research Associate /Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 19, 2013
Excellence in scientific investigation and education
Dedicated, loyal associates
warm and welcoming workplace
Exciting to teach students
Pros
Excellence in scientific research, education
Cons
compensation
LSU was an excellent part time employer
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 22, 2016
While working for graduate students I was able to build experience in many areas of the field while having help the whole way.
Discriminatory toward Underrepresented Minorities and those with disabilities
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 9, 2016
Horrible Experience
filled with false promises and greed
Management was inexperienced and rude
Hardest part of the job was getting up in the morning knowing that you have to return to such a caustic environment.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the free food that randomly appeared at seminars.
Pros
EXCELLENT MENTAL HEALTH CARE CENTER
Not much to say, I was a graduate student
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA and St. Gabriel, LANovember 5, 2013
I had to balance classes, research and a second job. Growing bacterial cultures to produce butanol required periodic sampling. Time management was essential when it came to the inoculation schedule, sampling, classes and meeting personal training clients (for my second job). I had to drive to the lab at all hours of the day and night, weekends and holidays as the sampling schedule required.

I learned how to use the HPLC and GC.

It was typical graduate research, meaning unsteady and long hours and little pay
Pros
I earned my PhD
Cons
Barely a livable wage
not a good work place
Custodian2 /lite moible equiment opp.1 (Former Employee) –  shreveport,laMay 27, 2014
cause everybody trying to be the boss
no pay raises
people trying to fight you
Fun and productive work environment
Chief of Police Dir Emergency Operations (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 9, 2014
LSU is an awesome place to work. Faculty and staff work closely to attain goals.
Pros
pay, benefits, training
Cons
personnel shortages lack of state funding
large employer with diverse workers and fields of work
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 13, 2012
Depending on your position at LSU, your duties and salary will be different.
LSU is conservative and very strict
Experiential and fun
IT support (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
A good way to learn hardware and software development as well as encouragement for future and long term employment. Shared office space with college co-workers to work and troubleshoot system hardware. This job is a good launching pad for a foot in the door at employment as we work under a professional Network Administrator who is fun, caring, and encouraging to everyone in the department.
Pros
very flexible and lenient with school schedule
Cons
low pay and lack of micromanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Louisiana State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3