Louisiana State University

Louisiana State University Employer Reviews

Great College Experience/ Job
Manager (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 23, 2013
A typical day at work would consist of an afternoon at the track. I learned many hands on skills, such as repairing track equipment. I got to travel with the track team and on those trips I had to video events and be an assistant to the head coach. My co-workers were great and we really bonded well during our 3 years together. The hardest part of the – more... job was keeping up with all the school work while traveling every week. I would get burnt out but I pushed through and got it done. I enjoyed getting to travel the country. – less
Population and healthcare management of largely undeserved Louisiana residents
Physician of Podiatric Medicine (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAApril 11, 2013
Pros: purpose driven staff and good patient interaction.
Cons: space limitations post-katrina
Working for LSU-HSC is a rewarding experience interacting with like minded purpose driven employees to provide quality healthcare to our residents. Management of LSU-HSC has the same core belief that all indicvidulas should be entitled to affordable quality healthcare. My typical day consist of 20-30 pts, management of chronic disease and general care.
Teaching Assistant for Seneor Geologic Summer Field Camp
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 16, 2013
This job involved teaching and assisting geologic exercises including several mapping projects, several stratigraphy assignments and a correlation project along the front range of the Rockies in Central Colorado. I enjoyed the challenge of teaching and helping expand the geologic knowledge of the students in this course.
Fast paced environment in higher education
External Relations Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 20, 2013
Whether student or professional, LSU is a very passionate environment. People work hard because they love the university and what they do.
Great Place to work
Career Counselor Intern (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: aiding kids in attaining their aspirations.
Cons: not getting paid.
This was an enjoyable work experience because it allowed the counselor to help the students figure out what exactly they wanted to do with their life and if they were up for the task to complete the degree required for that life they want.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Johnston HallFebruary 11, 2013
Focus on the reseach,
Improve study skills and programming ability
Data Specialist
Data Specialist (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Scan in crash reports into LaCrash program and transfer data into PDF format,Scan and transfer officer names into usable format using Microsoft Fireworks, Order office supplies through University Stores,
Great research and fun workplace
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 9, 2013
Excellent research facilities and opportunities. Great place to really learn something, meanwhile have a ton of fun: Cajun food, Seafood, and excellent LSU Tigers football team...
Easy Job
Business Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Business LabDecember 13, 2012
Pros: fun
Cons: no pay when school is out
The best job I every had! My boss was nice! I enjoyed working in the lab for 3 years.
I had the opportunity to help people conduct with their studies
Research Assistant at LSVI (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LADecember 10, 2012
A typical day consisted of me going to the Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired. There I would assist studies on autistic children. I collected data which in turn was used in the studies as research. The management consisted of doctoral students and they were always considerate of my undergraduate needs. My co-workers were my peers from my classes – more... so we always got along well. The hardest part of the job was the training to be qualified to score the data. The most enjoyable part was the chance to interact with the kids. – less
Very positive experience over many years of employment
Facilities Manager (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LADecember 10, 2012
Management of facilities where I've learned a great deal about all areas of operations and maintenance -- great group of co-workers -- state funding hurting Louisiana's flagship university.
Thrilling and Challenging Environment
Coordinator of Defensive Operations (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LaNovember 15, 2012
I really enjoyed all aspects of the job. It provided a great environment to learn and be around intriguing individuals.
Best college school ever
Asphalt lab Technician (Former Employee), LouisianaOctober 9, 2012
Good co-workers, willing to help each other out, strong products, excellent work/life ratio.
It's not a career job for me.
Custodian 1 (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAOctober 2, 2012
Cons: pay for parking on the street
A typical day at is working in three to four buildings, and cleaning other buildings when some one calls out.
I've learned to balance my work, I had to set up a routine.
Some co-workers are freindly,some not,it does not bother me.
Keeping up with three to four building,then have to clean someone else's buuilding when they call off.
Working in engineer – more... buildings. – less
Coordinator/Grants and Contracts (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LASeptember 5, 2012
Pros: laid back atmosphere
Cons: hardly any opportunity for promotion
managed federal grants; reconciled ledgers; the most enjoyable aspect of the job was working with the professors
Productive and fun workplace
Internship (Former Employee), Lousiana, USAAugust 29, 2012
It was an interesting experience because I learned about forestry. I usually get up at 6 am and get the bus to the office. My advisor during the internship was extremely helpful and friendly. The hardes part of the job was to get the water samples from the swamp because it was during the winter season and we had to drive a lot to get into the swamps. – more... I enjoyed the morning because everything was fresh. – less
large employer with diverse workers and fields of work
Research assistant (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAAugust 13, 2012
Depending on your position at LSU, your duties and salary will be different.
LSU is conservative and very strict
Great work environment
Accountant Supervisor (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 27, 2012
Pros: excellent benefits package
Cons: management
Most days in the LSU Bursar's Office are extremely busy, assisting students and working with outside entities. I have learned so much about the higher education system than I could list here. I enjoy working with all of my co-workers and if/when I was to leave I would miss working with them.

In my position as Account Supervisor, I work a lot with students – more... and parents trying to get into school or trying to figure out how to pay for school. I enjoy assisting students and figuring out how they can afford school, I also get most excited when I solve a problem or balance an account that other individuals have been unable to do. One of the hardest parts of my job is when I have to refuse a student to register for school but it is part of the job and although I do not like it, I handle it in the most professional way and do not get emotionally involved...some of the stories are truly heart breaking.

The main issue in the Bursar's Office is the management, or lack thereof. Issues/problems are not handled. Tasks are not evenly and properly distributed. There is lack of communication between management and the rest of the office.

There are so many thing I love about this job but do not see myself progressing. I have stressed my interest in progressing and making changes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our department as a whole but have gotten nowhere. At this time, I am ready for change. – less
A good place to learn how to do individual work
Research Associate (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 23, 2012
I was supposed to work individually on several projects related to the economic development of the industries in Louisiana. So I learned to manage several projects at the same time and to make sure they could meet the deadline.
I did need to discuss some critical points with my supervisor, but for the most part I was working by myself, including data – more... management, running statistical models and report writing as well as presentation. – less
A great starting point
Student Worker (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAJuly 22, 2012
A great starting point for students wanting to gain experience within a professional environment before graduating. Working with my professiors allowed me insight into the world of business.