Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores

Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Employee Reviews in United States

Shop Technician/Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jasper, TNMarch 9, 2016
I give Love's a 3 star rating overall based on fair compensation rates and standard benefits package matching most others in comparison. The balance between work and home was satisfactory due to management personnel, which I give a 4 star rating for flexibility in regards to employees. Although the company portrays training for management and advancing in a career is encouraged, seniority and skill are somewhat overlooked and leads to my low rating for job security. As for professional imagery, Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores strives for a clean and safe family place of service that is family oriented in convenient location for the public.
Pros
Restaraunt, Tire Care and Service, Showers/Bathrooms, 24 Hours
Cons
policy for relocation assistance
It's kind of...eh...it's just there really...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NMMarch 10, 2016
While you're guaranteed 40 hours (if not more), there really isn't much more beyond that from my experience. The management and many of the other employees typically only did the minimum of their required work, most of the time the inventory trucks were late by a few hours, the staffing was short so there was never enough help, and the benefits were practically non-existant. Pay was just above minimum wage, and when you DID receive a raise it was usually only to match the increase OF the minimum wage. At least you can be sure you won't lose your job even if you're horrible at it due the the minimum staffing.
Pros
Guaranteed maximum hours
Cons
Poor healthcare, minimum staffing, low wages, lazy staffing
Store Management
Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 9, 2016
This is like working for Family Dollar, Dollar Tree and Dollar General. Run your managers in the ground until they quit, get sick or hate the job.

Long hours, little payroll. Work 60 + hours and don't het to know your family. If business is slow for reason you can't control. You get written up and it's your fault. You get grief from everyone at the top.

The field management SUCKS!
Pros
It's a job, Interesting customer base, Slow down periods
Cons
Long Hours, Demanding Nasty Management, Little room for growth.
Very busy
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCApril 6, 2016
Very well paying job. Management engages in the employees drama. I got along well with my co-workers. The most hardest and enjoyable part is preparing and working a rush.
Pros
Benefits and every week pay. Meet new people on a daily
Cons
Only con is it was to dramatic.
Terrible Place to Work
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KYNovember 4, 2015
This is a poorly run company. Severe lack of execution when it comes to training employees. Absolutely no follow up and oversight and not important to management. Horrible work life balance for salaried employees. Expected to work 60 hours a week or more. Operation Managers are told in interviews and on recruitment document that they would work a four day 44 hour work week. No support from HR department. New managers are left to figure it out instead of being developed. Customers are horrible to deal with and allowed to be completely disrespect you. The stores have a hard time with staffing, especially keeping managers because they are treated so horribly.
Pros
Cons
Work/Life Balance, Training, Long Hours, Upper Management, HR, Staffing
Productive learning experience in customer care and food management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJanuary 29, 2016
Dealing with new people on a daily basis and their personalities gives me new ways and ideas on how to please the customer to their own satisfactions. Management is always listening and tending to the needs of the customers and their employees,They are fast at acting to any issues that need to be resolved. The co-workers interact and communicate accordingly. Not being able to satisfy everyone's needs with first attempt. Seeing the customers smile when our services have met their needs gives me great joy that my job has not gone unnoticed.
Pros
Was hired quickly, Fun environment.
Cons
Not enough hours, Healthcare
Needs more focus on hard working crew advancement
crew member (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, OHDecember 22, 2015
This company needs to focus more on in house advancements. They prefer to hire outside the company for management positions, instead of offering them to crew members who are eligible to move up. Poor upper management attention to detail.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Advancement
Numerous opportunities for advancement.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN - Palestine, AR - Prescott, ARAugust 6, 2015
A day of work would consist of working not only in your area, but wherever needed, which was great because it gave you lots of chances to cross train, which also increased job security. Lots of co-workers. The toughest thing about the job is it being open 24 hours. Enjoyed meeting so many people for all walks of life, including celebrities.
Pros
Raises based on individual abilities, flexible scheduling, room for advancement, friendly management
Cons
Having to work overnight and cleaning shower.
Fast Paced Truck Stop
Gas Attendant/ Diesel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCJune 9, 2016
A typical day at Loves is marking off to do's on a task list before the end of a shift all while maintaining a friendly appearance, a clean store, and all the transactions efficiently. I learned mad multi tasking skills and time management. Management was okay for the most part, just had tendencies to be very unprofessional and that's not something any employee likes to have from their co workers, much less their manager. The hardest part of the job is getting everything on the task list done before the end of your shift. It can be hard to do sometimes without help. The most enjoyable part is building relationships with customers and never being bored because there is always something to do.
Pros
Free Fountain Drinks, Fruit & Veggie Cup Discounts, Restaurant Discount, Flexible Hours
Cons
Unprofessional Management, High Foot Traffic, Can be stressful

Comment – June 14, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and your feedback. It's very appreciated, and we take the constructive reviews very seriously.

Comment – July 6, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate the feedback, both the positive and the negative. We're always aiming to improve!

Great company, horrible management.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Italy, TXJuly 18, 2016
Loves overall is a great company.. But the management at this particular location is awful. Favoritism is a major issue. And the GM will protect his management no matter what, therefore no matter what management does or doesn't do, nothing happens but maybe a slap on the wrist.
Most non-management co workers are awesome.
It is a very fast paced job sometimes but that's what I enjoyed because it made time go by fast. They are pretty flexible with scheduling but no one really has set days off except for particular people. Customers for the most part are pretty awesome. You'll meet people from all over the country, and even some from totally different countries. You also get 50% off during your shift at the restaurant... But only if you're working.
Loves really is a great company, it's the management that ruins it.
Pros
Great company with benefits, customers, half off lunches
Cons
Very poor management

Comment – July 21, 2016

We genuinely appreciate you taking the time to post your review! We read each of these posts, and we're always striving to improve -- so thank you for adding your thoughts.

Want to know more about Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores?

Ask a question
A good starting job
Restaurant Team Member (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 16, 2016
A typical day of work for day and evening shifts included working on the sandwich line, the production of bread, preparation of meats and veggies, and washing all dishes from the shift you work. Overnight shifts, which I worked, included cleaning and breaking down the sandwich line as well as any other units on the task list. I also had to make sandwiches anytime anyone came up to the line to order, since we are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

I learned a lot about customer service and food preparation at this job. I also learned how a 24 hour store operates with the transfer from one shift to the next.

The management wasn't terrible, but many times we would run out of product before the next shipment came in. Having to explain that to customers would disappoint the customer, and it is frustrating since management, not I, has the ability to order enough product to last until the next truck shipment.

Most of my co-workers I could depend on to complete all tasks within a shift, but the few co-workers who were slow or had bad attitudes really affected the good morale of the work atmosphere. It caused some people to no longer put up with the job and walk out in the middle of a shift.

The hardest part of my job is handling co-workers and management who's actions would hinder the store towards success. This includes slow co-workers who waste time, and managers who put in little effort into their job. It makes an enjoyable place no longer enjoyable to work at.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers while making sandwiches
  more... and seeing a satisfied customer who is appreciative.  less
Pros
good starting pay, stable job, good hours
Cons
bad management, lazy co-workers, little promotion

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you very much for the feedback. We value it, and your time is appreciated.

Good job
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 15, 2016
I worked at Walgreens starting in 2000 until 2009. It was a good place to work and I got a lot of promotions from just starting as a cashier in high school. The reason I ended up leaving was because although they promote within they often play favorites and do not take in to account relative work experience or length of time. It takes way too long to actually get your own store.
Fast paced, intense, somewhat rewarding
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 20, 2016
Working at a truck stop is somewhere beyond a full-time job, because the trucking industry never shuts down. Typical management shifts are no less than ten hours and include daily operations, which mainly include planning to avoid putting out fires. The constant rotation of staff in three 8-hour shifts through each day requires time budgeting strengths and decisive action at all times. Customer service is a must and the customer base is quite diverse, having to deal with your average traveler to truck drivers making deadlines. There is also diversity in the staff you have, from mechanics to teenage cashiers. If you aren't skilled in people maintenance, you could easily fail in this business on a daily basis. The hours are long, so you better train your people well to ease the day. Once you have your systems in place though, the job can be very enjoyable and satisfying.
Pros
Good benefits, profit sharing, good training.
Cons
Possible long hours, 24/7 operation, open every day of the year including holidays.

Comment – July 21, 2016

A lot of good information here. Thank you for taking the time to post it!

Fun place to meet new people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 30, 2016
Working at the truck stop was always fun. I got to meet a lot of friendly and fun people. My typical was always busy, whether it be working on the truck side or the car side. No matter which side you worked on, it was always a challenge. Working on the car side you had to make sure that coffee was kept up on and all the roller grill foods where full. Working on the truck side, you had to make sure that all the showers where clean, they had enough towels, and making sure that all the drivers where taken care of by getting the money they needed for their next run.
Pros
very busy, days went by fast
Cons
werent very flexable with their hours

Comment – May 13, 2016

Thanks for the review! We definitely stay busy serving Customers!!

Comment – June 3, 2016

Friendly faces are what Love's is all about! Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and also thank you for the constructive feedback. It's very appreciated.

would not recomend working for some loves stores ..
Restaurant Server (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, OKJuly 18, 2016
i would not recommend working for certain loves stores there is too much drama or personal problems brought to the work place or usually it is every person for themselves instead of being a team effort like they claim. some stores hire all family and its not fair to non family members because then they pick on until u still u leave or get flustered and too much favoritism with the management..
Pros
Cons
drama, no room advancement, salary a joke, only want u there to fill a spot dont really care bout u like family
Really bad management
Logistics Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 20, 2015
Where to begin? One of the worst experiences I've had on a job. It boils down to the culture. The drivers I talked to daily where GREAT FELLAS, but the culture in the Gemini Logistics Office was awful. You just had to deal with an air of Superiority and pettiness. I don't recommend this place. If you don't schmooze you won't get very far. Merit means nothing. Those little Supervisor women over phone support there are like Tyrants. STAY AWAY
Pros
Benenfits
Cons
Culture, Learning Curve, Pettiness, Office Politics and Favortism
Pretty good place to work.
Restaurant Team Member (Current Employee) –  Troutdale, ORNovember 6, 2015
Good first job. Management is a little unreliable because the manager changes often. Consistency is one of the Policies for Love's but every manager wants you to do things differently. Fun people to work with. Sometimes we're short on staff and we get behind. Plenty of work hours. Schedule is very flexible but inconsistent. Customers are often sexist and impatient. But not bad for training in customer service. Customers are also friendly at times. Fast paced work. Tons of experience. Managers are very understanding and respectable. Policies are very strict and some, in my opinion, are unnecessary.
Pros
Food from the Restaurant is half off and free dinks from the soda fountain.
Cons
Policies are very strict and specific.
Oppurtunity to grow
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLDecember 1, 2015
The company is a family owned business and treats all employees as such. They give monthly raises based upon performance and the oppurtunities to grow are endless.
awesome environment
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newberry, SCJune 15, 2016
a typical day at work included stocking cigs an unloading trucks, cleaning restrooms an greeting guest with a smile. i learned how to sock shelves in a fast orderly maner. management was half an half a good portion of the team was amazing an understanding as the other just wanted it there way. the coworkers where helpful an enjoyable. the hardest part had to be when we had to clean the truckers showers. an the most enjoyable part would have been the ealry hours off by noon
Pros
early hours off by noon
Cons
no free meals

Comment – July 6, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate the feedback, and as management, we're always striving to get better!

Terrible Pay & management lacks leadership skills
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 21, 2016
The management consists of long-term employees who were promoted for their loyalty to the company and knowledge of the job as opposed to knowing how to be successful managers. This leads to a bunch of team mangers who lack in actual management skills. Also, the managers are resentful of any new talent coming in to the company so it makes it very difficult to succeed in the company.
Pros
Great healthcare benefits
Cons
extremely low pay, truck-stop mentality, no management skills

Comment – July 6, 2016

Thanks for posting your review. We appreciate your time, and we take all feedback seriously. Thank you for sharing yours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9