Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Employee Reviews

Good Environment/Lax Management
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Utica, ILSeptember 1, 2016
In general, good place to work. However, if you are a hard worker and give 110% on a daily basis they will take advantage of you. There are several employees there that DO NOT get any kind of discipline despite doing their jobs incorrectly time and time again. When complaints are made, you are often told, "Well, that's just so and so," which should never be an excuse.This leaves a sour taste in the mouths of people who do try to do their job and get corrected for the smallest error. On the other hand, there are good people there that help make a pleasant working environment and they tend to be understanding if you need to call off for an illness.
Pros
Good People, Understanding Call Off Procedure, Generous Raise Policy, Good Benefits
Cons
Incredibly Lax Management, Skeleton Crew, Tends to Lean on a Select Few rather than the whole team

Comment – September 9, 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We review each of these, and we genuinely appreciate your feedback.

As far as crude oil is concerned--stay away!!
Former crude oil driver (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityNovember 22, 2016
This will be short and sweet. For any experienced, or unexperienced crude oil driver, they have been trying to haul crude for three years and can not land a first purchase contract. They have bit the hands that feed them too many times and will never make it in crude oil. They have no injections, no pipe line, and no contracts. You will float between, southwest Texas, Wyoming, and North Dakota and will have no guarantee of work. Their benefits and guaranteed weekly pay are great, but you don't want to have to depend on that for a living. I gave it a try and quickly realized they have absolutely no clue. Stay far away from the crude oil side.
Pros
Benefits and guaranteed pay
Cons
Management, no first purchase contracts, trucks are abused and then you're expected to operate the equipment

Comment – November 25, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We have lots of opportunity for crude oil drivers, and if you’re one who is interested in great benefits and guaranteed weekly pay, we’d love to hear from you!

Friendly work place wide variety of ethnicities and cultural shock.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamel, ILNovember 11, 2016
I enjoyed working for Love's Travel Stop because it was a very clean and professionally run business. I also grew up riding with my dad who's a professional driver, so I really enjoyed working in the familiar environment and getting to meet the wide variety of people that come into travel stops. I did have more than a couple of issues with other coworkers who tried to get me in to trouble with my managers for false allegations of purposely messing up my drawer count when more than a few camera angles and reviews showed that I was innocent of the accusations.
Pros
Working in familiar environment, being good at my tasks at hand and enjoying my time at work. The hours and benefits were a plus.
Cons
Immature staff members, lack of any staff members being able to speak or understand spanish and other languages.

Comment – November 22, 2016

Thank you for posting your review and for the good score! Very appreciated. Your feedback regarding understanding other languages is helpful and duly noted (thank you). And thank you for the perspective of somebody who not only worked for Love's but also grew up in the trucking business.

Great group of employees, very relaxed, and enjoyable.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  IndianaNovember 21, 2016
It's a decent place to work at but it has its ups and downs. For someone like me who has worked there for almost 4 years it seems like no one appreciates me for the experience I have. People with no experience get promoted too quickly because of desperation and people who deserve it get ignored. Besides that it's an okay friendly place to work if you don't mind staying at the same level year after year..
Pros
Friendly co-workers, easy work, tolerable managers.
Cons
Hard to get promoted, raises aren't great, and hours vary.

Comment – November 22, 2016

Thank you for posting your feedback. We absolutely value experience, and we encourage you to talk to your manager about your goals and desire to advance. Please make sure they know! Thank you again for sharing your review with us.

Fast paced, intense, somewhat rewarding
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 20, 2016
Working at a truck stop is somewhere beyond a full-time job, because the trucking industry never shuts down. Typical management shifts are no less than ten hours and include daily operations, which mainly include planning to avoid putting out fires. The constant rotation of staff in three 8-hour shifts through each day requires time budgeting strengths and decisive action at all times. Customer service is a must and the customer base is quite diverse, having to deal with your average traveler to truck drivers making deadlines. There is also diversity in the staff you have, from mechanics to teenage cashiers. If you aren't skilled in people maintenance, you could easily fail in this business on a daily basis. The hours are long, so you better train your people well to ease the day. Once you have your systems in place though, the job can be very enjoyable and satisfying.
Pros
Good benefits, profit sharing, good training.
Cons
Possible long hours, 24/7 operation, open every day of the year including holidays.

Comment – July 21, 2016

A lot of good information here. Thank you for taking the time to post it!

Great company, horrible management.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Italy, TXJuly 18, 2016
Loves overall is a great company.. But the management at this particular location is awful. Favoritism is a major issue. And the GM will protect his management no matter what, therefore no matter what management does or doesn't do, nothing happens but maybe a slap on the wrist.
Most non-management co workers are awesome.
It is a very fast paced job sometimes but that's what I enjoyed because it made time go by fast. They are pretty flexible with scheduling but no one really has set days off except for particular people. Customers for the most part are pretty awesome. You'll meet people from all over the country, and even some from totally different countries. You also get 50% off during your shift at the restaurant... But only if you're working.
Loves really is a great company, it's the management that ruins it.
Pros
Great company with benefits, customers, half off lunches
Cons
Very poor management

Comment – July 21, 2016

We genuinely appreciate you taking the time to post your review! We read each of these posts, and we're always striving to improve -- so thank you for adding your thoughts.

would not recomend working for some loves stores ..
Restaurant Server (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, OKJuly 18, 2016
i would not recommend working for certain loves stores there is too much drama or personal problems brought to the work place or usually it is every person for themselves instead of being a team effort like they claim. some stores hire all family and its not fair to non family members because then they pick on until u still u leave or get flustered and too much favoritism with the management..
Pros
Cons
drama, no room advancement, salary a joke, only want u there to fill a spot dont really care bout u like family
Want to know what it's like to be a human toilet?
Shift Lead/Diesel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Le Roy, ILJuly 23, 2016
You are the face of the company. As such, prepare to have insults and bio-hazards thrown at you regularly. I pretend to joke that I dealt with more bio-hazardous waste at this job as a "cashier", than I did as a janitor in a Hospital, my next job. You have to clean the showers and toilets regularly since they can't retain anyone willing to do the work for the pittance of a salary they offer.
Most truckers are decent hard working people, just trying to make a living. The ones that aren't: it's obvious they had a choice between an 8x10 cell or the cab of a truck.
When I took the job, they bragged that they had just gotten their turn over "down" to 125%. 1 year later, I and 2 others were all that remained of the original 18 member staff.
Never again.
Pros
I honestly cant think of any, unemployment was better.
Cons
too many to list.

Comment – July 26, 2016

We're sorry to see such a negative review, but we genuinely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.

No appreciation
Crude Oil Driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CONovember 20, 2016
Worked for them hauling crude oil and LPG in Windsor CO.. pay was good to start with then took away wait time and sleeper pay then min pay per day. To bad as it had a promise of being a good company. But the General Manager and some of the Regional Managers are total jerks. I can't believe that the Loves family would treat you like this but no one seems to care. They lost a lot of good drivers because of management. .
Benefits
Cons

Comment – November 23, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and thank you for your service to us. We’re very appreciative of our drivers with Gemini Motor Transport. We’re proud of the family atmosphere that has been cultivated across the Love’s Family of Companies, and we’re also proud of our excellent driver pay packages, including quarterly, annual and longevity bonuses.

Run and hide
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 9, 2016
You give them 50 hours a week of work and that is never good enough. Being that you are salary you end up working less than minimum wage. There are team members that work from the 8th-28th of the month (everyday) 12 hour days including evenings and weekends. The supervisor and manager do not work nearly as many hours as the rest is the staff. The department is severely understaffed. Loves is wanting to continue to expand the company but do not want to expand the department. There is NO training provided. The job is high stress with little reward.
Cons
Overworked for the pay you get

Comment – September 21, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We genuinely appreciate it even when we don't agree with it. Love's is growing quickly, and that absolutely means more staff. Likewise, our training department is eager and talented (and growing, too.) The opportunities at Love's Travel Stops are plentiful in the field and at our corporate offices, and the rewards are substantial for those who embrace the culture and demonstrate commitment to our Customers.

Secure place to work
Help Desk Technician II (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 17, 2016
Its a good place to get in entry level and grow your skills. Hard work will eventually pay off. Its fast pace and ever changing but secure in that you will always have a job the next day. There is always work or projects to be done.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay, multiple shifts
Cons
High turnover, changes in management, fast paced, stressful at times

Comment – November 22, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Love's is a wonderful place for those just beginning their careers or those at any stage of their career! We really appreciate your post. Thank you.

Terrible Pay & management lacks leadership skills
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 21, 2016
The management consists of long-term employees who were promoted for their loyalty to the company and knowledge of the job as opposed to knowing how to be successful managers. This leads to a bunch of team mangers who lack in actual management skills. Also, the managers are resentful of any new talent coming in to the company so it makes it very difficult to succeed in the company.
Pros
Great healthcare benefits
Cons
extremely low pay, truck-stop mentality, no management skills

Comment – July 6, 2016

Thanks for posting your review. We appreciate your time, and we take all feedback seriously. Thank you for sharing yours.

fast food
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Chiswell, VASeptember 19, 2016
usually star at about 3 if your a server and 5 if your the cook but it usually starts off slow depending on the weather usually slow if its poor weather conditions after that the day is pretty consistent besides the manager have certain people they like and will allow to do things and assert there job on other people
Pros
having benifits
Cons
stressful days

Comment – September 21, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate it very much!

Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Comanche, OKNovember 6, 2016
This is by far the best job I have ever had. The benefits are unbeatable and the chance for career advancement is unlike any other company out there. I loved this job

Comment – November 7, 2016

Wow, thank you so much for your review and the positive comments. You've made our week!!

set up for failure
Assistant Manager ( GM in training) (Former Employee) –  Valliant, OKAugust 7, 2016
I only lasted 6 months at this company. This is a place where being an honest hard working dependable employee will get you nowhere. I know this because people who consistently late, didn't do their jobs, and had lousy customer service were treated with kid gloves and not held responsible for their behaviors and poor work performance.

I've seen managers terminate team members and then try to create a documented paper trail after the fact so said employee would't be able to receive unemployment benefits.

The heap tons of responsibility on managers and expect them to meet goals despite never having enough staff to do so. I spent a lot of time training on the day shift, when ultimately I was going to be responsible for the night shift. I was thrown into the night shift without sufficient training specific to that shift. I was rarely scheduled with the manager best suited to train me and who I was to replace.

The general manager was out of touch with what was happening in his store and what was going on with his employees. He sat in the office always saying how things were going to be better, while his unsatisfied crew consistently contemplated quitting and thinking he was a sorry excuse for boss and especially the leader.
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
poor training, ineffective leadership

Comment – August 19, 2016

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We have also delivered your feedback to our management team. Thank you.

Shop Technician/Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jasper, TNMarch 9, 2016
I give Love's a 3 star rating overall based on fair compensation rates and standard benefits package matching most others in comparison. The balance between work and home was satisfactory due to management personnel, which I give a 4 star rating for flexibility in regards to employees. Although the company portrays training for management and advancing in a career is encouraged, seniority and skill are somewhat overlooked and leads to my low rating for job security. As for professional imagery, Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores strives for a clean and safe family place of service that is family oriented in convenient location for the public.
Pros
Restaraunt, Tire Care and Service, Showers/Bathrooms, 24 Hours
Cons
policy for relocation assistance
Home of Clean Places and Friendly Faces
Diesel Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calvert City, KYOctober 29, 2016
It's a fun and productive place to work if you're looking for great benefits and excellent pay. You get to meet all kinds of wonderful people. Customer service is one most important things. The service is above par.

Comment – November 4, 2016

This is just about a perfect review! Thank you so much for posting it.

Georgia Management Lacks Ethical Standards
Manager (Former Employee) –  Emerson, GAAugust 20, 2016
The position has potential if work/ family balance is not a priority. This location and area is definitely poorly managed as far as an HR standpoint.
Pros
Loves shares is a great perk, Busy work day, and decent salary.
Cons
Lack of a caring general manager. No teamwork on managers part. Do as I say, not as I do.

Comment – September 9, 2016

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review and give us your feedback.

It's kind of...eh...it's just there really...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NMMarch 10, 2016
While you're guaranteed 40 hours (if not more), there really isn't much more beyond that from my experience. The management and many of the other employees typically only did the minimum of their required work, most of the time the inventory trucks were late by a few hours, the staffing was short so there was never enough help, and the benefits were practically non-existant. Pay was just above minimum wage, and when you DID receive a raise it was usually only to match the increase OF the minimum wage. At least you can be sure you won't lose your job even if you're horrible at it due the the minimum staffing.
Pros
Guaranteed maximum hours
Cons
Poor healthcare, minimum staffing, low wages, lazy staffing
great everything except for management
Tire/maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Erick, OKJune 6, 2016
if you can get passed the poorly trained management and poor maintenance priorities this job is great. they like to wait until the last minute to let anyone know things need to be done and don't motivate consistent order and organization
Pros
security, pay, advancement, benefits
Cons
management

Comment – June 9, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We genuinely appreciate the feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9