Lowe's Employee Reviews

Found 15,138 reviews matching the search
It''s retail
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 2, 2017
Each day involves looking for product listed on a scanned report while helping customers and probably covering another department or two. As a manager, you have to shift associates to where the business is taking them away from their assigned duties for which they will suffer. I learned patience and how to communicate more effectively with a broader range of people; both associates and customers. Management was hit and miss, some good some not, all overworked. The culture varied from store to store and within each store. Morale filtered from the management. The hardest part of the job was getting assigned tasks done in a timely manner while handling associate and customer concerns. The most enjoyable was helping an appreciative customer.
Pros
Benefits, good pay
Cons
no work life balance
Good pay, great benefits;
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 20, 2017
Good pay, great benefits. Restructuring has become an annual event at the end of every fiscal year so job security is nil. Safety is always top of mind, but it's more about how much money can be saved on the bottom line than actual employee safety. As a manager you will have no work life balance, as your shifts will be rotating between open (530 am) , mid (9am-8pm) and closing (12pm-11pm). Sometimes you will work an close, then a mid, then open, with only 6-7 hour off in between. If you try to negotiate a better schedule you will be told "it works in 1700 stores, it will work here" and senior managers are not interested in hearing any options.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
scheule, lack of caring from senior management
The Perfect Place to Work (if you live in the Mooresville area)
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCFebruary 6, 2017
Lowe's has been a great place to broaden my digital project management experience. They've given me the freedom to redefine my role, processes and way my team works. I've moved up from a contractor to full time to now managing the team. We have the ability to work from home as much as needed which helps to appease the fact that we only get 2 holidays off each year (Christmas / Thanksgiving). Unfortunately my team rarely gets them off as well. But management understands this and will work with you on comp time to make up for the terrible vacation policy.

If it weren't for the commute I doubt I'd be looking for a job anywhere else. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at Lowe's but I need to find a place closer to home.
Pros
Environment, People, Work Life Balance
Cons
Commute; Compensation; Vacation Policy
Stepping Stone
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 26, 2016
The company itself is an excellent place to work and develop personal skills that one may be able to use in the future, basic home maintenance. Health and work benefits are really competitive to some of the other benefits from previous work experiences but it is the lack of advancement that hurts the company.

Advancement may be limited depending on store politics within upper management and often times hard work and dedication go unnoticed and unappreciated.

Though the company itself is excellent it is the local store level, the location of employment itself, that really hurts this job from becoming a career possibility. Though the people working with you, coworkers, are really fun and caring individuals that make overlooking the bias within upper management bearable.
Pros
Excellent pay, great benefits, balanced workload
Cons
prone to horrible managers, scheduling conflicts, lack of advancement
Fail to realize quality employees. Heavy responsibility on employees with no added benefit
Receiving/Freight Flow/Facilities Dept. Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJanuary 2, 2017
Quality employees are rarely recognized and turnover can be plenty. As the years go by, more and more responsibility is placed on employees with no added benefit to the employee. This is, of course, to please the stockholders and increase the stock price. By the way, most of what the CEO makes is in stock options. Lowe's has forgotten what really matters to people, getting adequate payment for services provided and advancement.
Pros
occasional lunches and holiday parties
Cons
compensation, advancement, scheduling, lack of genuine concern of employee well being
You will love working here...if you can afford to stay.
Assembler/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, TNDecember 31, 2016
The ONLY bad about Lowe's was the pay/benefits. No annual raises. Low starting pay. No bonus potential. There was a lot of fun to be had. There was also a lot of "tell me to do it and leave me alone"...which I loved. Less than ten per hour is not a bread-winning or bread-supporting job for that matter. Lots of good managers that will just come shoot the breeze with ya whether you're on break or not. Lots of practical jokes, card/gift giving that make it feel like friends working together. The day to day doesn't change a lot. Days that you work can be set the longer you work there. Most holidays are worked.
Pros
Hour lunch, could flex hours, transparent, supportive, and awesome leadership
Cons
Very low pay, not a big opportunity for advancement
Great company to work for
Assistant Store Manager/Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Osage Beach, MOJanuary 27, 2017
*High energy and something new everyday
*I have learned how to be effective in coaching as well as selling in a
highly diverse environment.
*I have managed a lot of different associates in several different environments and have adapted and well to each.
*The hardest part of the job at Lowes is that my husband is an Electrical Contractor and works Monday thru Friday. I raised 2 children for 15 years as a single parent and now am looking to spend more quality time with my family.
*The most enjoyable part of Lowes is that I leave everyday knowing that "I made a difference in someone else's day"
Pros
Had a lot of cook outs for their employees
Cons
Corporate scheduling ranged from shifts starting at 4am - midnight
team work and appreciation
CSA/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Warwick, RIJanuary 8, 2017
Fun place to work. Employees are conscientious workers and will assist in any way. Benefits for full timers are good. Hours are flexible. A typical day at work may involve new ways of processing ordering, selling products and employee benefits.... meaning new ways to help you to advance. Management, well.... some are fair and know what they are doing. All share in having functions to show their appreciation for the workers and all they do. Presenting them with awards, acknowledgements and gratitude. The hardest part of the job can sometimes be working with the public. Sometimes you just get that one unhappy person to which nothing you can say or do will please them. The most enjoyable part of the job is working as a team and knowing that someone always has your back.
Productive and exciting place to work with many benefits.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day consists of partnering with management to prioritize what is urgent and most important on that particular day. After meeting with a member of management I will walk the department to search for anything out of the ordinary, trucks that may be coming in, searching for and helping any customer I come in contact with and making a list for what I would like to accomplish for the day. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people love where they live. It may sound cliche but I genuinely enjoy helping people and doing anything I can to make their experience at Lowe's a positive one. The most difficult part of the job is either the inability to work overtime if needed to finish tasks in crucial moments or finding the proper resources to help get the information needed concerning customers orders.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Retail schedule and hours
Bad for America and YOU!!!
Building Materials Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 26, 2016
-90% Cheaply made Chinese products
-Outsourcing IT jobs to other countries like India
-Low pay for amount of work requested
-Hours constantly changing with terrible scheduler
-Understaffed constantly (High turnover rate wonder why)
-Just the fact that they sell Monsanto ROUNDUP READY products should tell you how much they care about people
-Lack of care for employees and management only cares about themselves and their store numbers
-Management sets unrealistic goals for their employees who they care little about
-Employee bonuses disappeared when new management took over (good bye incentive to sell)
Pros
Leaving for lunch
Cons
Hours, Benefits, Rude Customers, Bad Management, Annoying Music
Terrible Place to Work
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE-LOADER (Former Employee) –  Republic, MOOctober 23, 2016
This place is mentally and physically exhausting. The management of this place is beyond selfish and inconsiderate. This company does not care about its employees in the least and is not loyal to its employees in any way. There is absolutely no way I would ever work at this place again. The co-workers are great they are the only thing that kept me sane. The typical work day involved management breathing down your neck every second of the day even if you always did your job right and satisfying customer at the expense of the employee. I have witnessed management call people back from their lunch breaks to come back to work. I had to ask 6 times for my yearly raise before I got it. The hardest part of the job was keeping a smile on your face after a day of your soul being sucked out of your body.
Cons
a secure job especially when the depression hit
Customer Service Associate (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Havertown, PAJanuary 14, 2017
you will have a stable job; as far as promotions, politics are involved among management and associates. The pay is average around 13 dollars an hour. when it comes to co-workers, if you have a good workers acting like team players, you will have a good working environment. If you have unproductive individuals, this will make your experience at lowes very difficult. the hardest part of the job is when lowes is under staff. the management team will make to you double the work you usually do.
Pros
benefits, parties
Cons
pay
MCdonalds
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oxford, ALJanuary 10, 2017
I would take care of customers and I'd also do the front and back window in drive thru and or be on fries and orders.. Also was on the front were I would have to sweep and mop lobby and stock sauces,straws,cups ect.. Management was awesome they did very good and got us going good they knew how to excite what they needed done in the right way for everyone to understand it all the coworkers we all worked as a team they were easy to work with.. The hardest part of the job was when things would shut down or wasn't working properly or if we ran out of a product that made it so hard and the best thing was knowing that I made someone smile or just was happy.
Pros
BReaks and free meal
Cons
PAy and no benefits
Set up customer service to fail
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJanuary 17, 2017
Start working at fire wheel Lowe's in Garland Texas in the lawn and garden department. I enjoyed working in the lawn and garden department and would prefer to have stayed in the department. The manager decides to move me into plumbing department with no knowledge or experience in plumbing. They did not properly trained me or give me any training in this department. Then when I cannot meet customers expectations they write me up. I was hired in as a customer service representative not a specialist and expecting me to do a specialist job. Unprofessional managers and set you up to fail.
Benefits
Cons
No Training, poor management
Great company, great benefits, bad management
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAFebruary 7, 2017
Lowes is a great company, they pay very well, not a hard job, but the upper management , regional management has no direction, no care , no leadership, they are not leaders, they are about numbers, and will work you , overwhelm you, stress you, exhaust you, they do not motivate their staff, very low moral, they will do underhanded things to cover their own mess ups. Im not saying every store is like this but the one in Hammond la is. Scheduling sucks, cant have a personal life if your full time. Not a job for family oriented person.
Pros
Benefits, pay, free cook outs, vacations, paid time off
Cons
Always understaffed, no team work, schedules sucks
They'll work you to the grave, pay you pennies and smile watching you grind...
Department Supervisor/ Install sales coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 17, 2017
LOWES problem is management. They are happy to give you more responsibilities. As long as they don't have to pay you more for it. lol!

There is a difference between Managers and Leadership.. I prefer Leadership. Soft skills go a long way as well as rewarding those that work with excellence and pride.

Store Managers are rotated often. And often times, they make decisions that affect those star associates that have done excellent in sales.
Pros
Benefits and somewhat fun environment
Cons
Depending on the store, Management is an issue for your progression
Decent
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Camden, DENovember 22, 2016
Lowe's is a good company to work for. Depending on the location and it's employees, things can get a little hectic. Most of the people are team oriented. Some of the management are so hungry for their bonuses, they'll be quick to cut your hours if it benefits their wallets. Not all the managers are like that though. The co-workers and the customers are what make the job fun. Be wiling to help people, a lot of people. It is easy to advance, depending on who is in charge at the location. I have learned a lot there from a manager's perspective. Head Cashiers are literally on the bottom totem pole of management, yet are considered as managers, just not of the department.
Pros
occasional free food, SSEI and safety bonuses
Cons
understaffing when at its busiest
Enjoyed the comradery of fellow empolyees
Pro Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJanuary 17, 2017
Working at the pro desk itself was great but after 6 months or so, it was all about pro service sales numbers and credit card applications.
Constant harassment about sales numbers and credit apps. Management had us going door to door to businesses to ask them to shop at Lowes. They even had us sit in Home Depots parking lot and write down phone numbers on the contractor vehicles, then call them and try to convince them to shop at Lowes instead. Too low of sales tactics for me. Management lives and breathes numbers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
constant harassment about sales goals & credit card apps.
Just Don't Get Sick
CC Base Agent Plus (Former Employee) –  Wilkesboro, NCDecember 28, 2016
The job and people are fantastic, but you better hope you don't get sick. I was diagnosed with ovarian tumors in October 2015 and my doctor put me on medical leave in early November before having surgery. Needless to say my FMLA paperwork was handled incorrectly by Lowe's and Reed Group, and that caused me to lose my job due to paperwork "not being received" or "lost". I was told by management I could either be terminated for absences or resign. Lowe's will tell you everyone is "family" but when it comes down to it they just don't care.
Pros
Pay, benefits, time off
Cons
Adherence policy is super strict, performance reviews are stressful
Lowes review
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Perris, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Lowes is a good place to work many good benefits and good atmosphere environment lowes offers many good people to work with the job at hand is well if knowing what to do where to go u need to think about working at a fast pace with limited time and limited work u will need to perform well in order to make good with the company offers year end celebration as well as platiniunm performer lunch the co - workers ok but you will get what u get out of them hardest part being productive at a same performe level without going off your task of what u are doing gotta stay within ur performance range and not have more one day and another another day must have 120 each day most enjoyable part is knowing payday is by and also time to go home call it a day early day vto etc.