Lowe's Employee Reviews

Found 14,159 reviews matching the search
Stepping Stone
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 26, 2016
The company itself is an excellent place to work and develop personal skills that one may be able to use in the future, basic home maintenance. Health and work benefits are really competitive to some of the other benefits from previous work experiences but it is the lack of advancement that hurts the company.

Advancement may be limited depending on store politics within upper management and often times hard work and dedication go unnoticed and unappreciated.

Though the company itself is excellent it is the local store level, the location of employment itself, that really hurts this job from becoming a career possibility. Though the people working with you, coworkers, are really fun and caring individuals that make overlooking the bias within upper management bearable.
Pros
Excellent pay, great benefits, balanced workload
Cons
prone to horrible managers, scheduling conflicts, lack of advancement
Terrible Place to Work
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE-LOADER (Former Employee) –  Republic, MOOctober 23, 2016
This place is mentally and physically exhausting. The management of this place is beyond selfish and inconsiderate. This company does not care about its employees in the least and is not loyal to its employees in any way. There is absolutely no way I would ever work at this place again. The co-workers are great they are the only thing that kept me sane. The typical work day involved management breathing down your neck every second of the day even if you always did your job right and satisfying customer at the expense of the employee. I have witnessed management call people back from their lunch breaks to come back to work. I had to ask 6 times for my yearly raise before I got it. The hardest part of the job was keeping a smile on your face after a day of your soul being sucked out of your body.
Cons
Great part time, secondary job, or stepping stone.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 4, 2016
Lowes would serve great as a second or part time job. For people that have open availability and don't mind flexible scheduling, working weekend, and holidays. Management is salary based and work no less than 10 hours a day. Lowes is staffed based on sales and how well the store is doing. Not by the best number of associates needed to make their customers shopping experience enjoyable, especially after the hours of 4pm.
Pros
Vacation time is earned on a yearly bases but best if you are a full time employee, you get a hour lunch break if u work a 8hr shift, and employees are friendly.
Cons
Yearly raise are very low, alot of standing, short handed majority of the time & low morale.
Decent
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Camden, DENovember 22, 2016
Lowe's is a good company to work for. Depending on the location and it's employees, things can get a little hectic. Most of the people are team oriented. Some of the management are so hungry for their bonuses, they'll be quick to cut your hours if it benefits their wallets. Not all the managers are like that though. The co-workers and the customers are what make the job fun. Be wiling to help people, a lot of people. It is easy to advance, depending on who is in charge at the location. I have learned a lot there from a manager's perspective. Head Cashiers are literally on the bottom totem pole of management, yet are considered as managers, just not of the department.
Pros
occasional free food, SSEI and safety bonuses
Cons
understaffing when at its busiest
No other place like 1850
CSA (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 11, 2016
Lowe's has several positive reasons for working there, at least in S Scottsdale. The store employees are the best, with the exception of the dead weight, the employees go out of their way helping each other. If you are not wanting to lift heavy freight everyday, turn around, not for you, if you are opposed to being forcefully locked in the store at closing and no matter how exhausted you are, the management will force you to stay & unload freight, if you insult managements ego by protesting your rights, you will be talked about and possibly find your daily work harder. Did i mention the high turnover , slow rehire, customers consistly going off on you because no coverage. Oh almost forgot the negativity of asst store manager , who knows it all nothing & will lie to you to avoid any responsibility on his part. If this sounds like a good fit , you will be shaking your head in no time & finding another job.
Pros
Continous paycheck, basic insurance, free lunches as opposed to a decent raise, vacation
Cons
You do the math
Good benefits and very organized
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 13, 2016
My working days were never boring, I always had something to do, and it was always productive for the company. Everything that needs to be done is written on a list and you are expected to get everything done on time. The management was pretty flexible, but sometimes I wish they could've been a little more understanding at times. My co-workers were friendly to be around and helped me with things if time was running out. The hardest part of the job was Finding certain products on account of the store being so big. The most enjoyable part of the job was a satisfactory feeling after helping a customer.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks, paid vacation time, health benefits
Cons
hours
its retail some good some bad
Employee (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VANovember 7, 2016
Great benefits as a full timer. Pay is decent. Cant speak for all stores but where I worked hard work knowledge and experience were less important than sucking up. Some people who worked hard did good for several years eventually got promoted, Some people with very little time in didn't know much did even less but spent a lot of time chatting with Asms and store manager got promoted quickly. Best advice find out if management likes good workers or suckups and go with it. P,S, never question anything and even if asked for your opinion tell them what they want to hear not what you really think.
Pros
Good benefits can be fun
Cons
SM lies and asms agree but not when hes around
Good pay and benefits for the area, other areas lacking.
Sales Specialist- Flooring (Current Employee) –  Warren, PAAugust 2, 2016
typical day: lots of customer traffic, put away freight monday, wednesday, friday mornings with little to no help. top stock, down stock, do paperwork for managers.
What you learned: patients, hard work,
management: poor. no consequences for breaking rules, have favorites who get away with things they shouldnt, give advancements to the employees who shouldnt get them, treat employees very poorly and are rude.
co-workers: untrustworthy, some hard working- many not.
hardest part of job: trying to get things done when you need to go to managers for help or to have them get something done.
enjoyable part of work: coworkers you get close to, they make the job enjoyable.
Pros
possibility of quarterly bonuses, yearly raise
Cons
rotating schedules and terrible hours, closing then opening the next day
Great Entry level opportunity, no room for growth
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 14, 2016
Overall Lowes is a decent company to work for. I worked for another large retailer and agree as an HRM my work life balance is better, but at this other retailer I had way more opportunity for growth. The next step after HRM is Area HRM, which rarely opens. Lets just say the AHRM is a cushy position with not a lot of movement. The work is very repetitive. The store manager is your "business partner" which in my case in his position does not lead at the right level. Change is very tough for a lot of the "old school" management who are very "command" instead of "grow and show". The benefits are great and are honestly what is making me stay for now.
Unhealthy, no advancement
Receiver/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PASeptember 5, 2016
Work was fun for the first few months then it just went straight down hill for 2 years. Upper management didn't care about any of us and on a few occasions where I got extremely sick I got told I was not allowed to call off by upper management and received threats from other employees and management wouldn't even take the time to hear about it. Your tasked with a list for work that requires 10 workers and they'd only have 5 of us on nights and refused to hire any more than that and our store received the highest amount of freight in our whole district. I did have some great co workers and learned a few new things but the benefits take over half your check and the hours for a night shift are terrible. I wouldn't recommend anyone to do nights for Lowes
Pros
Great workout
Cons
Under staffed, management doesn't care about nights, poor pay and benefits
Typical retail with high turnover
Sales Specialist Home Decor (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZAugust 24, 2016
Employees do not leave jobs. Employees leave managers. This is the case at the Lowes in Prescott, AZ. Approximately 6 months into my Lowes "career" the store management changed. We went from a people oriented manager who made the store #1 in our market to a numbers cruncher. 110 employees left 1157 in 2015 and zero bonus were ever awarded during my tenure.
The Job Work/Life Balance was a large reason for my leaving. Almost all full time employees are on a rotation where during what is called the long stretch we work 16 days in a row with one Sunday and one Friday off. So 2 days off in 16 days. Not conducive to Life Balance. Benefits are decent. Pay was ok for the small town where the store is located.
Overall, I consider any experience to be good experience.Without that there is no growth. I have a nephew who is very happy with his store manager and know others that feel the same at other stores. Hopefully, Lowes Prescott will turn around and become more like what it once was.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Horrible work schedules and ineffective management
Excellent health coverage and many opportunity's for advancement
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TX 79762August 11, 2016
From my professional experience at Lowe`s, the compensation/benefits and Job advancement were the best qualities about this company. In 3 years I received 3 raises and 2 promotions within the company. The insurance was top of the line and I never had any issues. From my experience the Management team was the downfall of this company. The turn over rate was extremely high in 3 years I had over 3 Store managers and 3 Assistant store managers, not to mention the revolving door of overnight stocker`s. However my time at Lowe`s was very educational and a great learning experience.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
overworked employees
Good work atmosphere
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHSeptember 18, 2016
I enjoyed the three years I worked at Lima Lowes. The people I worked with were great, the manager would work with you, and the customers left satisfied. The only reason I left was because I needed full time and they were unwilling to give me what I needed even after all I did for the store. I was always the first to be called in if someone called off or did not show up. I worked longer shifts and took shortened lunches whenever we happened to be busy. But, besides all the extra shifts and long hours I love the company and its people!
Pros
Great benefits for full time employees and great pay
Cons
Long hours on concrete
Decent benefits, horrible work environment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Denver, NCAugust 21, 2016
Lowe's is a decent company to work for. The pay is good for retail and the benefits are good as well. However at the store level the work environment is toxic. Management is full of people on a power trip or those who don't want to do anything now that they've reached a certain level. Employees are constantly asked for feedback on how things are being run but are nearly always ignored if the answers aren't what management wants to hear. There is also a severe problem with understaffing. This is an issue in all retail stores but at Lowe's it seems to be significantly worse. Managers also regularly practice retaliatory scheduling. If you request a weekend off don't be surprised if you don't get another one off for 6 months.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Toxic work environment, management
Good company with a solid reputation
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WV 26101August 13, 2016
For the most part, Lowe's is a good company to work for. Have been with the company for 10+ years and have seen a lot of changes. The problem with those changes is that they seem to randomly 'try out' new policies and procedures on a monthly basis that interfere or change the current ways of doing things to the point employees get confused on how to accomplish certain tasks properly as to not get fired. However, that being said, Lowe's offers wonderful benefits including Medical, Auto, Home Insurance, stock purchasing at a discount, employee discount on product, tuition reimbursement, vacation time, and good pay.
Pros
Employee Discount, Tuition Reimbursement, Insurance, Stock Purchase
Cons
Randomly changing policies and procedure, inconsistent application of policies, low hiring standards.
I loved it
Unloader/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Glen Carbon, ILAugust 23, 2016
Honestly, Lowe's treats their employees better than any retail company I've seen. I was given a good starting wage, with consistent hours and schedule, and promises of raises every 6 months. They trained me on a variety of power equipment, and helped round out some of my skills on others. They management is friendly and easy to talk to, and the coworkers are people who are a pleasure to know. The overall feel for their workplace is enjoyable. One of my favorite things is their willingness to give benefits to everyone, for a small price.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, fair pay, friendly coworkers, part-time benefits availible
Cons
None.
typical day
P/T Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ponca City, OKOctober 11, 2016
Working part time - if you are scheduled for 5 1/2 hours - 1/2 hr unpaid lunch break, scheduled for 5 hrs - 15 minute paid break.
The break room is at the back of the store. It takes approximately 4 minutes to walk to the break room. Essentially this means - 30 minute break is really 20 minute break and 15 minute break is really 7 minute break.
Administration requires all staff to review emails and complete online training. P/t Cashiers are not given the time to do that, on the clock and it is against policy to sign in when you are NOT on the clock.
Often, the Head Cashiers will give breaks when you have only been there for 1 1/2 hours, meaning you are then 3 hours without a break.

On the whole, the training is good and most of the Head Cashiers are exceptionally helpful. The customers are friendly usually and if not, well. ... just let it roll off.
Pros
medical benefits after 90 days, 10% discount
Cons
clicky upper level staff and issues indicated above
Decent place to work if you make the right friends.
Plumbing Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJDecember 7, 2016
Decent place to work. Co-workers are great, I started knowing nothing about plumbing but was trained and have become one of the most knowledgeable in our department. Management leaves something to be desired. HR and Store Manager constantly hire from outside the store making it near impossible to move up where you are. Overall the benefits are decent and the work isn't back breaking so if you like helping people but don't mind being overlooked for promotions this is your dream job.
Busy Work Load
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAOctober 30, 2016
Depending on what store you work for and how high a volume store they are depends on how much physical and demanding work will be expected from you . I transferred from a low volume store to a high volume store. So much more demanding force is expected from you . Not for the slow or weak at heart for not being told how good of a job you are doing. Because you wont find that here.It all depends on the store and the management as bad as that sounds. They have great benefits and insurance but you pay the price for the work schedule rotations if you are full time.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
work hours per day are all over the place
A nice retail opportunity to help customers looking to improve their home/garden
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCSeptember 19, 2016
This was surprisingly a good job once you get used to the long hours standing up on your feet. Honestly the only reason I left is because I was stuck on a part-time compensation and I needed full-time compensation and it was never offered after 4 years of trying. The job culture was nice simply because I enjoyed helping people find their do it yourself solutions for their home improvement inquiries.
Pros
decent benefits for a retail chain
Cons
limited full time opportunity