Lowe's Employee Reviews

Found 15,137 reviews matching the search
Huge variations dependent upon location
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLJanuary 24, 2017
Atmosphere was an awful experience. There was little accountability and those who tried were met with resistance. Training was negligible and there was very little commendation for successes. Personnel were downtrodden and attendance was awful. The operating systems do not communicate with each other and generated a great deal of consumer dissatisfaction.
Pros
Well respected reputation
Cons
Antiquated systems do not allow a streamlined customer experience
Fun working at lowes
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 29, 2017
My overall day at work at lowes is getting there and meeting new people at work, you rarely get time to breathe it is busy and time goes by fast. Management has not been the greatest, but we have a new manager and seems to be shaping it up. I've learned lots of things, tools, hardware, just many departments, the most enjoyable part of my job is I like my job and do it well as well as talking and joking with people.
Pros
they work with you on anything.
Cons
not enough stability in job.
Good place to work with family type atmoshere
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Oneida, NYJanuary 25, 2017
Lowe's has been a great place to work. The management team in our store is one of the best that I have worked for. I have learned much in the areas of management, sales and merchandising. The hardest part of the job is there is no room for advancement at this time with the new corporate restructuring model. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and helping them find what they need and want to complete their projects.
Pros
Celebrating successes such as luncheons for every 60 days of being accident free.
Cons
The latest management restructuring process
Good place to work and learn the retail business.
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLJanuary 23, 2017
Lowe's creates a good work culture and goal setting for each store. Retail budgets are difficult and creates a lack of employees to customer ratio at times. If the store manager has a good attitude towards the corporate goals and ideas, the entire store seems to do well and that attitude reflects down to the employees. However, if not then the store and staff suffer greatly. This environment requires teamwork from everyone.
Pros
steady work, benefits
Cons
work schedule, management cooperation
Great way to continue assisting people with building their dreams.
CSA/Sales Specialist/PSE/Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CA, Kent, WA, Auburn WAFebruary 19, 2017
Work changes day-to-day. I've learned to be as passionate, if not more than those I come in to contact with daily. I am a part of management but get those I manage to manage themselves. I love helping people love where they live, most difficult thing is will they let themselves be helped. I find the most enjoyment comes from helping either Customer or employee feel accomplished with there projects or tasks.
Pros
Get to spread knowledge of a great industry
Cons
Advancement
Good pay, great benefits;
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 20, 2017
Good pay, great benefits. Restructuring has become an annual event at the end of every fiscal year so job security is nil. Safety is always top of mind, but it's more about how much money can be saved on the bottom line than actual employee safety. As a manager you will have no work life balance, as your shifts will be rotating between open (530 am) , mid (9am-8pm) and closing (12pm-11pm). Sometimes you will work an close, then a mid, then open, with only 6-7 hour off in between. If you try to negotiate a better schedule you will be told "it works in 1700 stores, it will work here" and senior managers are not interested in hearing any options.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
scheule, lack of caring from senior management
Great company, great benefits, bad management
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAFebruary 7, 2017
Lowes is a great company, they pay very well, not a hard job, but the upper management , regional management has no direction, no care , no leadership, they are not leaders, they are about numbers, and will work you , overwhelm you, stress you, exhaust you, they do not motivate their staff, very low moral, they will do underhanded things to cover their own mess ups. Im not saying every store is like this but the one in Hammond la is. Scheduling sucks, cant have a personal life if your full time. Not a job for family oriented person.
Pros
Benefits, pay, free cook outs, vacations, paid time off
Cons
Always understaffed, no team work, schedules sucks
Excellent management team, Very busy
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZFebruary 3, 2017
Was a great place to work until Lowes decided to eliminate the Department Manager positions within all of the stores. This displaced myself and 12 other dept. Mgrs. They also terminated one Assistant Manager from our store and up to 4 from other stores depending on their volume. Morale was excellent and now it's horrible. Even the unaffected associates are upset. I'm not sure how these changes are going to turn out but it decreased the amount of coverage on the floor in an already overly busy store.
Pros
Management, Everybody works together
Cons
Corporate downsizing currently underway, low morale
Difficult schedules
Kitchen Design Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAJanuary 24, 2017
Trying to design kitchens is difficult when always interrupted, not fair to clients always covering other departments since people don't show up. They only care about sales numbers it's never enough.
Schedules are ridiculous, you can't plan and difficult to schedule client meetings. This isn't kitchen design its cabinet sales only just fill the spaces with boxes!
Expected to wrestle large appliances and cabinets when you sell them.
Pros
Schedule, stuck because of pay, sales numbers never good enough, always interrupted
Cons
Customers can be nice people
Great
TEAM LEADER/ SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2017
• Specialized skills data and spreadsheet analysis and optimizing results for enhanced decision-making and process improvement.
• An ability to assess client/business needs and facilitate programs that achieve desired objectives.
• Excels in fast-paced deadline-driven environments in serving as liaison to internal/external customers on financially-related subjects.
• Strong customer-facing, listening, communication, technical, and problem-solving skills.
• Proficiency in multiple software programs including Microsoft Excel, Pipeline, Crump, and Quicken.
ON your own
Receiving/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxford, ALJanuary 30, 2017
If your not helping a customer you better be stocking the shelves, no idle time ! Also they put you to work with little or no training you walk around like an idiot for 3 weeks because you don;t know were anything is located Customers come up to you an ask for help and your just a lost as they are, An forget about getting help from one of your fellow associates,their always busy helping another customer or stocking the shelves. Because you get in trouble for talking with another employee instead of working.
Pros
Maybe if you have a good Supervior
Cons
Left to fend for yourself until you figure things out on your own
4 week rotation schedule, not favorable if you have children
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYFebruary 19, 2017
great starting pay..raises are none or nominal. upward mobility slim, inconsistent hours, bonuses have become harder and harder to get, to the point of rare. Just got told most of us are losing our jobs ( Department managers). Paid breaks are if you have time to take them. Mandatory hour lunch breaks if work over 6 hours(unpaid) lunch break is too long, makes it a 9+ hour day and take them when and if there is coverage
Just be careful
Credit/SOS Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cicero, NYJanuary 19, 2017
I love my job, if the job I was hired for was what I had to do on a daily basis it would be perfect, but you end up covering for MULTIPLE other jobs to the point you fall extremely behind on your own. Management sees the credit coordinator position as free labor to cover anywhere and everywhere they need.
Pros
The job itself is rewarding and enjoyable
Cons
You won't have the time to do your own job, will be told the other jobs they want you to do are more important than your own.
Great pay but unreliable employees
Front End CSA Cashier (Former Employee) –  WpbFebruary 3, 2017
The location I worked for had a lot of Veterans as customers, which was okay. The vets, as in long term employees, were majorly unreliable though. There wasn't too much room for advancement for me, but as a whole this company definitely promotes within. I ran into an obscene amount of difficult customers, which is commonplace in retail, however it was overwhelming for me as an individual due to the sheer frequency it occurred as only a part time employee. Lowes was accommodating to say the least, but it was still retail.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Co workers
Asistant Manager
ASM (Former Employee) –  Canton, GAJanuary 21, 2017
I have worked for Lowes as a ASM for two years and was RIF from my position on my birthday because of because of greedy excutives at the top.Please do not work for this company there is no job security there. The boys at the top are only looking out for themselves. Doesn't care about the rest of us. They change their strategy at the end of every fiscal year. Not a stabe company. The CEO has done a terrible job with the company and he needs to go work at dollar tree as a cashier and let him feel what it is like not to make money and get RIF. They have reduced their inventory in most od their stores and have caused less sales and majot laid offs in 2017.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not stable.
You're not important
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewes, DEFebruary 3, 2017
This is a company that does not care about its employees. I got to see first hand how the store manager and HR manager conspire against employees that they can't manipulate or that are older/more tenured employees. They expect you to help them with their "dirty work" and if you don't, you will be one of he ones that are gone. Filing a complaint with corporate has been proven to be ineffective. If you are looking for a secure job where your hard work and dedication is what matters, this is not the company for you. If you enjoy being a "yes" man and have no moral fiber about yourself, this may be a good fit.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Everything else
Decent for Retail
Sales and customer support (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNJanuary 29, 2017
Lowes in a nutshell is a fairly decent company to work for at least in part that they have decent training, decent pay usually a little over current minimum wage, management that usually does care (depending on location of course), and hold decent events for their employees. I would recommend working for lowes as a decent starter and transition job while going to school
Pros
decent benefits, flexible hours, training
Cons
its retail, variable hours
No work/life balance - overtime continued most of the year with 14 hour days
Operations Coach (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 31, 2017
I liked working with the people. I worked well with the team members and my peers. The managers were less than desirable as their management skills were not including compassion and concern for their coaches or team members. A lot of stress and fear of losing their jobs which affect their management style. Not a lot of good coaching the coaches which was needed desperately.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
No work/life balance
The toughest retail envifronment I ever worked for
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2017
A typical workday would start with reading emails, making our rounds, then making an action plan on what we had to accomplish during the day. While doing this, you are often bouncing back and forth to handle customer service issues, open gates, getting overrides, etc. The hardest part of working at here was that there was not standard procedure. The most enjoyable part of the job-the ability to be on a rotation every 4 weeks.
Results driven, Non-intuitive, Home repair environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 2, 2017
Working at Lowe's teaches one to be alert to ones surroundings and to keep a journal of things learned. Other than the main Point of Sale, there are many systems that are incorporated with the company. The largest challenge is keeping aware of the massive staff throughout each day. The best part is interacting with new customers regularly and building a lasting relationship with them.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Can be chaotic more than not