Lowe's Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,204 reviews matching the search
Teamwork, and communication.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCFebruary 22, 2016
A typical day of work would be coming in and being all about consistency, which was fine with me, it was very fast paced. I learned basically to "do more, and say less" I got a lot more done that way. The management was decent there at Lowe's, very helpful, but sometimes, depending on the mod, you'd have to fend for yourself. My co-workers were very sweet, most older, so I learned a lot from them. The hardest part of the job was when I was in the Garden Center, lifting heavy bags of mulch was a difficult procedure for a 115lb woman! The most enjoyable part was being at Customer Service, I always felt good up there, I think just having the customers leave satisfied was no doubt the best part.
Pros
Hour lunches, and we did fundraisers for muscular dystrophy.
Cons
Lifting very heavy items, theft.
Going downhill, quickly...
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 20, 2016
Lowes used to be a good company to work for, fair pay, room for compensation/spiffs and advancement. They used to employ people. Now they only employ bodies, at least that's how management sees it! You mean nothing to the company/managers and they'll prove that to you repeatedly. They're campaigning for "Lowes Experience of the future" which just means treating their employees horribly in order to satisfy customers and earn another dollar. Don't get me wrong, this is big-box business in America today. Lowes is no different but they get worse and worse in their treatment of employees and their management, or lack thereof, everday. I'll never go back to this company, no matter what. I cringe at the memories of the 5 years I spent there and I thank God I was able to get out! Education kids, get one so you're not stuck at Blowe's!
Cons
...everything? Especially the joke they call management.
Do not waist your time or energy.
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXMarch 16, 2016
After working for Lowes for 8 years and 6 months, I learned that you have to be able to over come the constant staffing changes and supervisors and co-employees that come and go. There are some long term employees but they are few and far between. The average work day consists of doing your assigned tasks as fast as possible and then if your work has been completed you help complete as many other assigned task as you can. I Learned to operate narrow aisle lift's and order pickers and a lot about retail warehouse customer service. Management was basically out for them selves and their career advancements. They very rarely honestly wanted input from the rank and file. Even if such input would be of greet use to the company as a whole. As a general rule, it was a dog eat dog situation with a lot of the co-works I worked with, but not all of them. What a shame. In my opinion, a lot of people need to truly work as a team and stop being so self centered. I liked meeting and helping the public and a lot of wonderful co-workers that came and went over the years that I was employed at Lowes.
Pros
Good benifits.
Cons
You are just a body that can be replaced.
Company is great but employee benefits and job stability is lacking.
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 20, 2016
The work is redundant. Mornings you deal with mostly business accounts and afternoons it family/household purchases. Most afternoon purchases are paint and lumber.

Hardest part is dealing with lack of advancement and employer's unwillingness to hire sufficient staff to meet customers' needs. Wait times at the store are pretty long. Bothers you as a cashier when customers are seeking help and there is no one on the floor to assist them.

I enjoy the customers and meeting people of all walks of life and with all skill levels trying to take on household repairs :-)

Management is OK.
Pros
Customer and Co-workers
Cons
Short hours and no benefits
Lacks team culture from the top.
Assistant Store Manger (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 13, 2016
This district manager had her favorites and never listened to anyone elses ideas or gave them an honest chance to succeed. Real training was non-existent but you were still punished for not doing things to expectation. If you made one mistake your career was over just like that in her mind, even after multiple years with company. It was like walking on eggshells. It was never fun. Too much worry caused and causes issues. I am assuming not all areas were like this, but you never know.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Poor morale, long hours, shift schedule.
Very Stressful environment
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMarch 27, 2016
A typical day at Lowes is extremely stressful, Management is just as bad as the workers. Customer service sucks. The co workers are mean and impolite . The most enjoyable part is putting a smile on my customers face and making a remarkably lasting impression
Pros
free money if ssei is met, the customers are nice, great benefits, understanding so what when it comes to unexpected life situations, competitive pay, paid vacation
Cons
Clicks on the job
Had good benefits, 401k plan, stock options for managers, worked a lot of long days.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake in the Hills, ILFebruary 9, 2016
Every day was different. During the first 8-9 years of my career was the best as we worked for managers who cared about work/life balance, your opinions, and helped develop the skills needed to be successful. After that, it seemed like everyone was out for themselves and never cared to take the time for the associates. Lowe's did have a good compensation plan for its managers that included matching 401k plan and stock options. I made some friendships along the way, and some I still keep in contact with to this day.
Average Workplace Environment
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCMarch 29, 2016
Great company, decent salary and benefits. Extremely bad middle management. Software Engineering managers are very mediocre and encourage and promote similar mediocre people to keep them safe. Its a good place o work except in IT and software engineering.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Politics, Promoting mediocre people
Customer Focus With Teamwork and Occasional Free Lunch
Customer Service Associate II (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 5, 2016
Our only purpose is constant customer focus, at times teaming up with coworkers to secure that aim. I learned the value of participation and cooperation in finding the balance between leading, following, and working together. Management is one cog in the wheel of the retail hierarchy, guiding the flow of optimal customer service with occasional troubleshooting. My coworkers are fun, helpful, knowledgeable, and sometimes annoying. The hardest part of the job is finding the necessary stamina for the unending plight of the retail customer. The most enjoyable part is providing a satisfactory shopping or working experience for the people I encounter during my shift.
Pros
Company sales incentives, BBQs, and lunches.
Cons
Part time benefits, limited hours.
Enjoyable place to work.
Electrical Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Logan, WVJanuary 25, 2016
Unloading pallets, putting away inventory, stocking shelves, unloading incoming trucks, placing special orders for customers, and helping customers. How to operate a scissor lift. Management was great at all times. Co-workers for the most part in electrical was young men willing to learn. Long hours on your feet and the constant rotating shift from day shift to evening. Helping advise customers on how to install their electrical projects more cost effectively but better quality of the installations.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Long hours on your feet with no customers to help made for long hours.
A job with low expectations
Sales Specialist, regional Top 10 Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 2, 2016
The job is providing customer assistance, re-stocking, and maintaining a clean area/dept/store. This is physically challenging work!

Scheduling is an issue. Weekly hours are unpredictable which many emps feel is to prohibit them from having second jobs which many need to pay the bills.

Pay is hourly and low. 8$/hr and up for CSA, Specialists 11$/hr and up. Raises are typically 1-2 %.
Pay incentives/bonuses are touted, but nearly impossible to achieve.
Surprising for a company that sponsors NFL games, and NASCAR teams, etc...

Management is not necessarily skilled and depends on the individual. All mgrs use the Lowe's playbook which holds the employee responsible regardless of circumstances. Mgrs make ALL the decisions so your college degree is worth zip.

The hardest part of the job: the concrete floors and the requirement to stand all day. Lowes has a hip and knee replacement plan.

The best part of the job: Helping people find a solution (either at Lowes or elsewhere) who really appreciated it.
Pros
Discounts and good deals on returned or compromised merchandise.
Cons
Customer rudeness, and antiquated, miserly business practices
enjoyable place to work
Garden Center Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, PAMarch 25, 2016
Ive learned many different skills in my management experience in retail whether it be with the customer or fellow employees. Communication and time management being the most important. Also learning from loss prevention experience to be able to identify and understand different human behaviors. My job is physically demanding and there is no issue with that. I love my job and the people that are part of my team and being able to help customers get the results they need to when piecing together a project. Hardest part about my job is that the schedule is all over the place leaving little time to plan and function in a family setting in my personal life.
Pros
seeing results of hard work
Cons
insurance is a little expensive, work/life balance is very difficult
When I started working there the environment was nice, but as management changed people's attitudes about work got much worse.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDJanuary 12, 2016
Lower management were easy to talk to and usually very helpful, however the farther up the chain people were, the more ignorant they became to real problems during a typical day at work, and it was hard to talk to them about making improvements or any self advancement. Work environment otherwise was typically very friendly and other employees were easy to get along with. The benefits offered by this company were actually very good, however annual raises were barely enough to compensate for the time that management require you give to the job. Overall it was not a bad place to work through college, I learned very much and improved my interpersonal and multi-tasking skills, but ideally it is not an occupation or an environment that I wish to stay in for an extended period of time.
Pros
Good benefits, free food at store meetings, lots of prize drawings and holiday cookouts.
Cons
Management style.
Good compensation and benefits/ Despicable management.
Facilities Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Glen Carbon, ILJanuary 16, 2016
Good compensation and benefits. Stable company despite uncertain economic times.

Management is blatant with their favorites. Promotions go to their favorites over those who are more capable. Management expects too much and cultivates a culture of fear.
Pros
Good compensation and benefits. Stable company despite uncertain economic times
Cons
Management is blatant with their favorite. Consantly a culture of fear.
It is was a rewarding, fun a great place to work
PROJECT SELLS SPECIALIST EXTERIORS (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCApril 5, 2016
A typical work day at Lowes is exciting and rewarding. I learned the retail side of business from a management standpoint. I had great co-workers in the store and I worked very close with my counter parts from other stores to help them in any manor since I was one of the senior specialist. I worked independent with minimum supervisory, I controlled my own hours which were usually more than expected to meet customer needs. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching the final product once the work was completed.
Pros
Working in a family oriented environment
Cons
Long hours to meet and exceede customers needs
Good first job
customer service (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2016
The coworkers were always very friendly. I got to learn the basics of customer service standards and the way a business is run day to day. Management, for the most part, was very friendly and didn't mind helping out with any issues. Compensation was higher than expected for being my first job, a great starting point. Overall the hardest part(s): coping with disgruntled customers, and getting used to prolonged standing. I also ran into9 the "no room for advancement" problem once I was moved to customer service from being a regular cashier.
Pros
Coworkers, compensation, longterm customer relationships
Cons
Advancement, short staffed
Good place to work but don't expect to retire from there unless you are store manager or above
Sales Specialist/Product Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Belle Vernon, PADecember 18, 2015
If you work hard, you will have opportunities to move up in this company. You must make sacrifices in order for this to happen. With more pay and promotions come more responsibility and that is what is expected as with any company. Management varies largely from store to store and based on who was hired, an external candidate will not be knowledgeable in the product category as compared to an internal candidate. Hardest part of the job is the communication gap because of so many people involved in a customer experience. They are good at celebrating employee milestones and achievements.
Pros
hour lunches, 15 minute breaks, don't have to have college degree to move up and make good money.
Cons
Money talks with Lowe's and they will select the candidate who they can hire the cheapest.
Great Place to Work and Advance your Career
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 27, 2016
Lowe's is a great place to work. My work/ life balance was the best I had received as a retail manager. Their training approach for a new manager hired from an outside company is very lacking and their computer operating systems are very out of date and so far behind the competitors its a little shameful. But all in all its a great company to work for.
Pros
Pay, Work/Life Balance, Work Enviroment
Cons
Benefits, Training for Management, Computer Operating Systems
Great first time job
Installed Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Niles, MIMarch 18, 2016
This company is a great place to start, but after being there for more than a few years you can tell it's not what it used to be. Every year there is more expected, and less incentive. When I first started there were sales incentives (commissioned sales), obviously a lot of the seasoned salesmen dropped out almost immediately, and it just been a domino effect from there. While the company had great intentions for advancement its only for individuals that want to move towards management, nothing of the others. You can't run a business with all chiefs and no indians.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Wacky schedule, long weeks, then broken short weeks
It was ok, I guess?
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 18, 2016
I unloaded trucks, so I don't really have experience with the store as a whole. What I do know is that the job paid decently; you started out at around 9.50 and hour and got raises based on the number of vehicles you could operate.
The job itself is about what you'd expect, picking up boxes and stuff and sorting it out until you get to something you can forklift out and then you'd do that. It seemed to be a really dangerous job though, I worked there for 8 months, and in that time one of my coworkers shattered both of his kneecaps, and another got his arm crushed by a falling washing machine. I had a few near misses too. Shortly after I left, one of the employees died due to a shelving collapse.
Honestly, I'd only get this job if you're desperate, and even then I'd keep looking once you're working here.
Pros
Reliable hours, decent pay.
Cons
Dangerous