Lowe's Employee Reviews

Found 14,635 reviews matching the search
Stepping Stone
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 26, 2016
The company itself is an excellent place to work and develop personal skills that one may be able to use in the future, basic home maintenance. Health and work benefits are really competitive to some of the other benefits from previous work experiences but it is the lack of advancement that hurts the company.

Advancement may be limited depending on store politics within upper management and often times hard work and dedication go unnoticed and unappreciated.

Though the company itself is excellent it is the local store level, the location of employment itself, that really hurts this job from becoming a career possibility. Though the people working with you, coworkers, are really fun and caring individuals that make overlooking the bias within upper management bearable.
Pros
Excellent pay, great benefits, balanced workload
Cons
prone to horrible managers, scheduling conflicts, lack of advancement
a secure job especially when the depression hit
Customer Service Associate (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Havertown, PAJanuary 14, 2017
you will have a stable job; as far as promotions, politics are involved among management and associates. The pay is average around 13 dollars an hour. when it comes to co-workers, if you have a good workers acting like team players, you will have a good working environment. If you have unproductive individuals, this will make your experience at lowes very difficult. the hardest part of the job is when lowes is under staff. the management team will make to you double the work you usually do.
Pros
benefits, parties
Cons
pay
Terrible Place to Work
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE-LOADER (Former Employee) –  Republic, MOOctober 23, 2016
This place is mentally and physically exhausting. The management of this place is beyond selfish and inconsiderate. This company does not care about its employees in the least and is not loyal to its employees in any way. There is absolutely no way I would ever work at this place again. The co-workers are great they are the only thing that kept me sane. The typical work day involved management breathing down your neck every second of the day even if you always did your job right and satisfying customer at the expense of the employee. I have witnessed management call people back from their lunch breaks to come back to work. I had to ask 6 times for my yearly raise before I got it. The hardest part of the job was keeping a smile on your face after a day of your soul being sucked out of your body.
Cons
Fail to realize quality employees. Heavy responsibility on employees with no added benefit
Receiving/Freight Flow/Facilities Dept. Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJanuary 2, 2017
Quality employees are rarely recognized and turnover can be plenty. As the years go by, more and more responsibility is placed on employees with no added benefit to the employee. This is, of course, to please the stockholders and increase the stock price. By the way, most of what the CEO makes is in stock options. Lowe's has forgotten what really matters to people, getting adequate payment for services provided and advancement.
Pros
occasional lunches and holiday parties
Cons
compensation, advancement, scheduling, lack of genuine concern of employee well being
No other place like 1850
CSA (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 11, 2016
Lowe's has several positive reasons for working there, at least in S Scottsdale. The store employees are the best, with the exception of the dead weight, the employees go out of their way helping each other. If you are not wanting to lift heavy freight everyday, turn around, not for you, if you are opposed to being forcefully locked in the store at closing and no matter how exhausted you are, the management will force you to stay & unload freight, if you insult managements ego by protesting your rights, you will be talked about and possibly find your daily work harder. Did i mention the high turnover , slow rehire, customers consistly going off on you because no coverage. Oh almost forgot the negativity of asst store manager , who knows it all nothing & will lie to you to avoid any responsibility on his part. If this sounds like a good fit , you will be shaking your head in no time & finding another job.
Pros
Continous paycheck, basic insurance, free lunches as opposed to a decent raise, vacation
Cons
You do the math
Great work environment, opportunities for advancement!
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 2, 2016
I absolutely loved working here. If I hadn't completed my degree in an unrelated field I would have been content staying with this company and continuing to work my way up. I started as a summer seasonal employee with no intention of anything more than a summer job, and ended up staying 3 years and accepting 2 promotions during that time, 1 of which was a management position. If you work hard in this company you will be rewarded with opportunities for advancement. Great work environment with some of the most wonderful people you can meet.
Typical retail with high turnover
Sales Specialist Home Decor (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZAugust 24, 2016
Employees do not leave jobs. Employees leave managers. This is the case at the Lowes in Prescott, AZ. Approximately 6 months into my Lowes "career" the store management changed. We went from a people oriented manager who made the store #1 in our market to a numbers cruncher. 110 employees left 1157 in 2015 and zero bonus were ever awarded during my tenure.
The Job Work/Life Balance was a large reason for my leaving. Almost all full time employees are on a rotation where during what is called the long stretch we work 16 days in a row with one Sunday and one Friday off. So 2 days off in 16 days. Not conducive to Life Balance. Benefits are decent. Pay was ok for the small town where the store is located.
Overall, I consider any experience to be good experience.Without that there is no growth. I have a nephew who is very happy with his store manager and know others that feel the same at other stores. Hopefully, Lowes Prescott will turn around and become more like what it once was.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Horrible work schedules and ineffective management
Decent place to work if you make the right friends.
Plumbing Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJDecember 7, 2016
Decent place to work. Co-workers are great, I started knowing nothing about plumbing but was trained and have become one of the most knowledgeable in our department. Management leaves something to be desired. HR and Store Manager constantly hire from outside the store making it near impossible to move up where you are. Overall the benefits are decent and the work isn't back breaking so if you like helping people but don't mind being overlooked for promotions this is your dream job.
Great part time, secondary job, or stepping stone.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 4, 2016
Lowes would serve great as a second or part time job. For people that have open availability and don't mind flexible scheduling, working weekend, and holidays. Management is salary based and work no less than 10 hours a day. Lowes is staffed based on sales and how well the store is doing. Not by the best number of associates needed to make their customers shopping experience enjoyable, especially after the hours of 4pm.
Pros
Vacation time is earned on a yearly bases but best if you are a full time employee, you get a hour lunch break if u work a 8hr shift, and employees are friendly.
Cons
Yearly raise are very low, alot of standing, short handed majority of the time & low morale.
Fast-paced working environment with great staff and opportunity for advancement.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Hammond, LADecember 8, 2016
Lowe's has an ecosystem that cultivates comradery and positive attitudes amongst its employees. The pace and workload can be quite intense during peak hours, but the supportive staff makes it much more manageable. Management is a mixed bag of stern to friendly and helpful managers making or an overall fair rating on management.
Pros
Great staff with opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Salary does not reflect workload.
Productive, Challenging and Competitive
Installed Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 10, 2016
Working for Lowe's was the best job I ever had, I've worked in all areas of the store, gained a lot of knowledge I've worked with all sorts of people in management most that liked me and would take me back any day, until I got to a store that was very competitive and challenging, I was fired the day I came back from my vacation with no real reason for firing me, I would have stayed there till I retired if they would have let me
Pros
The employees, HR Manager, Customers, Installers
Worst Company to work for
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJanuary 11, 2017
This is the worst job that I have ever had. The company does not care about employees. Management does not care about employees, all they care about is their numbers as far as sales. There were many times someone would call in, and you would not be allowed to take a break or take a lunch because they were short staffed.
Also, the pay was pathetic. All of my raises were given to me late, and in 5 years of working there, I was making $11.30 when I left.
Very very shady company to work for.
Fun place to work great co-workers
Paint and Home Decor Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 15, 2016
Clock in and get your day started normally do some freight and help customers love where they live! I learned how to have great time management, train people effectively, work hard to reach my goals.The hardest part of my job is the daily schedule changing, on day you close and the next day you are in there opening. The most enjoyable part of my day was helping all the customers!
Pros
Great Benefits, Vacation and Holiday Pay Very competitive wages
Cons
Poor Senior Management, Continuously Fluctuating Schedule, Weekend Heavy Schedule
Lowes
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 18, 2016
• Responsible for merchandising, sales performance, and management of employees, cash office handling
• Drive sales and margin throughout store
• Oversee growth and profitability of specialty and installed sales
• Created a sales culture based Market and regional values
• Ensure scheduling for the entire store is processed accurately to maximize sales growth and manage PTO
• Promoted strong safety awareness programs to protect company assets, safety of employees and customers
• Lead with an enthusiastic style which motivates all employees I’m surrounded by
• Excelled with mylowes initiative, achieved 110% to yearly goal
• Led pro business to a 10% increase over previous year’s profit, pro penetration went up 5% in 2015 as well
• Currently 74% increase in lead production over last year
• Increased stores sales by 2 million in 2015
• Successfully contributed to the stores first 3 positive inventories
• Driving sales tactics through specialist meetings
• Maintaining Market alignment with project tool and PSE directives, coaching and training throughout entire store
Pros
Yearly bonus
Cons
Work/life balance
Great Entry level opportunity, no room for growth
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 14, 2016
Overall Lowes is a decent company to work for. I worked for another large retailer and agree as an HRM my work life balance is better, but at this other retailer I had way more opportunity for growth. The next step after HRM is Area HRM, which rarely opens. Lets just say the AHRM is a cushy position with not a lot of movement. The work is very repetitive. The store manager is your "business partner" which in my case in his position does not lead at the right level. Change is very tough for a lot of the "old school" management who are very "command" instead of "grow and show". The benefits are great and are honestly what is making me stay for now.
Good benefits, not a bad place to work
Customer Service Associate Appliances (Current Employee) –  Howell, MISeptember 27, 2016
Its a good place to work and learn about common building materials and processes. They hire good people, but not always the brightest or hardest workers. Also they do not hire enough employees, which creates a stressful work environment, often employees are required to cover multiple departments. I enjoy helping others so it has been a good job for me, the benefits are great and the pay is competitive.
Pros
paid sick/vacation/holiday time, 401k, dental, vision, medical, free food sometimes
Cons
management, lack of employees
Good pay and benefits for the area, other areas lacking.
Sales Specialist- Flooring (Current Employee) –  Warren, PAAugust 2, 2016
typical day: lots of customer traffic, put away freight monday, wednesday, friday mornings with little to no help. top stock, down stock, do paperwork for managers.
What you learned: patients, hard work,
management: poor. no consequences for breaking rules, have favorites who get away with things they shouldnt, give advancements to the employees who shouldnt get them, treat employees very poorly and are rude.
co-workers: untrustworthy, some hard working- many not.
hardest part of job: trying to get things done when you need to go to managers for help or to have them get something done.
enjoyable part of work: coworkers you get close to, they make the job enjoyable.
Pros
possibility of quarterly bonuses, yearly raise
Cons
rotating schedules and terrible hours, closing then opening the next day
A nice retail opportunity to help customers looking to improve their home/garden
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCSeptember 19, 2016
This was surprisingly a good job once you get used to the long hours standing up on your feet. Honestly the only reason I left is because I was stuck on a part-time compensation and I needed full-time compensation and it was never offered after 4 years of trying. The job culture was nice simply because I enjoyed helping people find their do it yourself solutions for their home improvement inquiries.
Pros
decent benefits for a retail chain
Cons
limited full time opportunity
You will love working here...if you can afford to stay.
Assembler/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, TNDecember 31, 2016
The ONLY bad about Lowe's was the pay/benefits. No annual raises. Low starting pay. No bonus potential. There was a lot of fun to be had. There was also a lot of "tell me to do it and leave me alone"...which I loved. Less than ten per hour is not a bread-winning or bread-supporting job for that matter. Lots of good managers that will just come shoot the breeze with ya whether you're on break or not. Lots of practical jokes, card/gift giving that make it feel like friends working together. The day to day doesn't change a lot. Days that you work can be set the longer you work there. Most holidays are worked.
Pros
Hour lunch, could flex hours, transparent, supportive, and awesome leadership
Cons
Very low pay, not a big opportunity for advancement
I loved it
Unloader/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Glen Carbon, ILAugust 23, 2016
Honestly, Lowe's treats their employees better than any retail company I've seen. I was given a good starting wage, with consistent hours and schedule, and promises of raises every 6 months. They trained me on a variety of power equipment, and helped round out some of my skills on others. They management is friendly and easy to talk to, and the coworkers are people who are a pleasure to know. The overall feel for their workplace is enjoyable. One of my favorite things is their willingness to give benefits to everyone, for a small price.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, fair pay, friendly coworkers, part-time benefits availible
Cons
None.