Lowe's Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,443 reviews matching the search
The job is open to change and is willing to work with you.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 1, 2016
When I come to work at Lowes I set up on my register and assist the customers at checking out at the register. Some products I type item number into to try to get through customers quicker. I also assist some customers in finding things in the aisle that they are looking for. As I check them out , I encourage tem to have a good day and thank them for shopping at Lowes.
Pros
The Hours are consistant, good friendly relationships. They try to meet your needs, as much as possible.
Cons
Cut in hours during the winter, Can't work in the heat.
Fun place to work great co-workers
Paint and Home Decor Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 15, 2016
Clock in and get your day started normally do some freight and help customers love where they live! I learned how to have great time management, train people effectively, work hard to reach my goals.The hardest part of my job is the daily schedule changing, on day you close and the next day you are in there opening. The most enjoyable part of my day was helping all the customers!
Pros
Great Benefits, Vacation and Holiday Pay Very competitive wages
Cons
Poor Senior Management, Continuously Fluctuating Schedule, Weekend Heavy Schedule
Great people
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Greer, SCJuly 27, 2016
I work several wonderful people. We all look out for each other, and help each other out. We are a team there. I love working as a team member, and helping others. I work in appliances, as the manager, so I enjoy helping people find their dream kitchens. Helping people is in my blood. It gets tricky sometimes, hen orders do not come in as planned, or a delivery goes wrong. I do what is best for the customer and the company to get them taken care of.
Pros
Helping people, great peers.
Cons
Inconsistent hours.
Great Entry level opportunity, no room for growth
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 14, 2016
Overall Lowes is a decent company to work for. I worked for another large retailer and agree as an HRM my work life balance is better, but at this other retailer I had way more opportunity for growth. The next step after HRM is Area HRM, which rarely opens. Lets just say the AHRM is a cushy position with not a lot of movement. The work is very repetitive. The store manager is your "business partner" which in my case in his position does not lead at the right level. Change is very tough for a lot of the "old school" management who are very "command" instead of "grow and show". The benefits are great and are honestly what is making me stay for now.
Being productive in the work place
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 9, 2016
A typical day for me is just assigning cashiers tasks throughout the day in terms of keeping the area clean, keeping shelves stocked and assisting customers. I've learned to use efficient time management. My cashiers work as a great team. The hardest part of the job is maintaining good customer service with no/short coverage. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my associates, we've become like a family.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
No/short coverage
A fine company to work for
Department Manager-Plumbing (Former Employee) –  Sulphur Springs, TX 75482August 19, 2016
The culture is good, the benefits surprisingly excellent. An open and communicative air encourages a close working relationship with management and co-workers which, in many stores, fosters a sense of camaraderie unusual in big box stores.

Responsibilities are often manageable within the context of a typical work day and on the job training covers any shortcomings in personal knowledge relatively quickly.

Rotating schedules can be a drag and you will be required to work holidays and weekends more often than not.

Benefits are awesome.
Great pay....and meh management
CSR/ Cash Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 23, 2016
I loved working at Lowes initially. They are one of the highest paying retailers. But the management uses you mercilessly and doesn't give you anything for it. I did two other jobs besides the one I was hired to do and I didn't get a bump in pay nor did they at least take me from part time to full time. They gave a promotion to someone who never came to work and when they did they left all the time. I guess it depends on which location you work at.
Pros
the pay, great benefits
Cons
the management
Just a job till you find a better one
Receiving Clerk, Freight Flow and Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 3, 2016
Each experience is different, the harder and better a person works in their position, the less likely the company will promote. Kept getting told, "We don't want to lose you to a better position." Management would bad mouth the employee to other companies thinking that is the best way to keep the person from going up in the company. My experience was not good. Moved on. 20-30 cent raises only, no matter if yearly raise or company promotion, no difference.
Pros
fixed hours
Cons
lazy management, pay sucks, raises are a joke
Excellent health coverage and many opportunity's for advancement
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TX 79762August 11, 2016
From my professional experience at Lowe`s, the compensation/benefits and Job advancement were the best qualities about this company. In 3 years I received 3 raises and 2 promotions within the company. The insurance was top of the line and I never had any issues. From my experience the Management team was the downfall of this company. The turn over rate was extremely high in 3 years I had over 3 Store managers and 3 Assistant store managers, not to mention the revolving door of overnight stocker`s. However my time at Lowe`s was very educational and a great learning experience.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
overworked employees
My favorite place to work
Assembler/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 1, 2016
Lowes has always been the one place I always wanted to work at since being old enough to start working. I honestly miss it! The room for advancing in the company is great, the people were absolutely amazing, management were great at communicating and helping, and the training they gave me has been able to push me into even better opportunities.

Best place I have ever worked!
Pros
Training, career progression, tons of learning, professionalism, great people, wonderful conditions
productive and fun work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lilburn, GAAugust 1, 2016
A typical day at Lowes would be pretty smooth. I'd learn alot about where certain items are located, I'd also learn about paint, appliances and lumber. All of my managers are very professional, they care about the employees as equally as the customers. I get along with all of my coworkers, I often work well with others. I honestly don't feel like anything is difficult about my job, I am pretty satisfied with everything. The most enjoyable part of me working at Lowes is knowing that I helped a satisfied customer.
Pros
Luncheons and competitions
Cons
it was a ok place to work at and it was fun playing pool
Team member (Former Employee) –  Garysburg, NCAugust 4, 2016
putting away new product from the recieving dock and replenishing pick locations.also taking care of anything that arise throughout the day learned the importance of distribution centers.were not the best managers i have come in contact with showed favortism to some employees. i enjoyed working with my team members. the hardest part of the job was trying to understand what the managers was thinking, playing pool and getting a paycheck.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
Very fun work environment, with a very nice attachment to your associates.
RTM Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hutto, TXAugust 5, 2016
All in all Lowe's is a fantastic job for people to hold. Management is great, the people that work there, you fall in love with. Would recommend to anybody, that would like a part time job or a retirement job. I have learned so much from my time spent at Lowe's. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job, is your fellow associates and the bond that each and every one of us has reached. The hardest part of the job, would probably be, the lack of coverage and the stretching of each and every one of its employees to their limits.
Pros
Fun get togethers, co-workers, management. Healthcare and Benefits.
Cons
Pay, No room for moving up.
Instead, talk briefly about a few “safer” things like: their products and /or services locations & number of employees revenues & strongest business
Sr. Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCAugust 5, 2016
Instead, talk briefly about a few “safer” things like:

their products and /or services
locations & number of employees
revenues & strongest business areas (are they #1 in anything?)
history (founder, product expansion, company growth)
how they fit into the industry they’re in
key player(s) they’re proud of (their own PR would help here)
And, then zero in on a few meatier things like:

their published mission
what makes them special (could be something from list above)
something about the department / division you’re applying to
Nice people, poor management
Order Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCAugust 8, 2016
The management team is so focused on making sure we shave 1-2 seconds off call button response times that the miss the elephant in the room - the reason the times aren't being met. 1/3 of the employees in the Fort Mill store do next to nothing & are happy watching the rest of us work. The management team routinely asks why goals aren't being met & are told about the lack of effort from those folks - by everyone including the customers - but their response is, "We'll look into it". Makes you not care after a while.. Sad really.
Pros
Nice people to work with (some)
Cons
Lazy people, poor management, no advancement
Very good place to start a career
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Parker, COAugust 8, 2016
Lowes is a very fast paced retail environment with many changes. It's a very customer service oriented business with plenty of avenues to learn. It's a company that can teach you a lot about working in retail and also about new trades. Many different ways to advance in the company and with the right attitude, you can advance quickly.
Pros
Good benefits, good compensation, great place to learn new things, long lunches, active
Cons
Lots of lifting, rotating hours, fast training
Conflicting management
Installed Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harriman and Crossville TNAugust 14, 2016
I started as a cashier in 2008, became a head cashier after two years and left Lowe's as an Installed Sales Coordinator. I really enjoyed Installed Sales. Working one on one with customers who purchased items that needed installation. It was exciting working with them from start to finish. I was also responsible to resolve any issues that arose from the installation.
Pros
Working one on one with customers
Cons
Time change from Crossville to Harriman
It is retail
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 16, 2016
No super highs, no super lows. Retail is it own thing. You can either choose to enjoy it or not; Customer interaction, Management styles, Always having something to do, Not a whole lot of time to plan, and conflicting orders. In all the retail experiences I have had the record never changes; Be oblivious and fall in line, Be power hungry and do all you can to get ahead, Be thoughtful and get shot down most of the time, or Be passive aggressive and try to please and hate everyone. It is difficult in retail to find a place you can just Be.
Pros
It's Work
Cons
It's Retail
Reatail World
Cashier making (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKAugust 20, 2016
When working at this location the parts that I did enjoy were some of the coworkers that I was able to get to know & become great friends with along with some of the customers as well. When coming to the job though with the of a high turn over rated, very poor management/leadership, couldn't be professional & much more it made me learn that I knew the retail job life wasn't for me after working for it for many years & seeing many things.
Pros
Some coworkers & some customers
Cons
Honestly to many to list.
lowes is a great job, i woukd recomend it to anyone.
Office/Cashier (Former Employee) –  McCamey, TXAugust 23, 2016
Working at Lowe's I felt like I was family, everyone got along with everyone. The customers were great fun people. Not a day went by either the employees or the customers had a smile on their face. For that, the smiles and being able to feel as if going to work was a second home and family was a great experience to learn all the necessary materials to become more and more comfortable with the job.
Pros
a minimum of 1 hour breaks, full time benifits, great staff
Cons
n/a