Lowe's Employee Reviews in United States

Found 12,953 reviews matching the search
Customer Focus With Teamwork and Occasional Free Lunch
Customer Service Associate II (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 5, 2016
Our only purpose is constant customer focus, at times teaming up with coworkers to secure that aim. I learned the value of participation and cooperation in finding the balance between leading, following, and working together. Management is one cog in the wheel of the retail hierarchy, guiding the flow of optimal customer service with occasional troubleshooting. My coworkers are fun, helpful, knowledgeable, and sometimes annoying. The hardest part of the job is finding the necessary stamina for the unending plight of the retail customer. The most enjoyable part is providing a satisfactory shopping or working experience for the people I encounter during my shift.
Pros
Company sales incentives, BBQs, and lunches.
Cons
Part time benefits, limited hours.
Teamwork, and communication.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCFebruary 22, 2016
A typical day of work would be coming in and being all about consistency, which was fine with me, it was very fast paced. I learned basically to "do more, and say less" I got a lot more done that way. The management was decent there at Lowe's, very helpful, but sometimes, depending on the mod, you'd have to fend for yourself. My co-workers were very sweet, most older, so I learned a lot from them. The hardest part of the job was when I was in the Garden Center, lifting heavy bags of mulch was a difficult procedure for a 115lb woman! The most enjoyable part was being at Customer Service, I always felt good up there, I think just having the customers leave satisfied was no doubt the best part.
Pros
Hour lunches, and we did fundraisers for muscular dystrophy.
Cons
Lifting very heavy items, theft.
It was ok, I guess?
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 18, 2016
I unloaded trucks, so I don't really have experience with the store as a whole. What I do know is that the job paid decently; you started out at around 9.50 and hour and got raises based on the number of vehicles you could operate.
The job itself is about what you'd expect, picking up boxes and stuff and sorting it out until you get to something you can forklift out and then you'd do that. It seemed to be a really dangerous job though, I worked there for 8 months, and in that time one of my coworkers shattered both of his kneecaps, and another got his arm crushed by a falling washing machine. I had a few near misses too. Shortly after I left, one of the employees died due to a shelving collapse.
Honestly, I'd only get this job if you're desperate, and even then I'd keep looking once you're working here.
Pros
Reliable hours, decent pay.
Cons
Dangerous
Going downhill, quickly...
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 20, 2016
Lowes used to be a good company to work for, fair pay, room for compensation/spiffs and advancement. They used to employ people. Now they only employ bodies, at least that's how management sees it! You mean nothing to the company/managers and they'll prove that to you repeatedly. They're campaigning for "Lowes Experience of the future" which just means treating their employees horribly in order to satisfy customers and earn another dollar. Don't get me wrong, this is big-box business in America today. Lowes is no different but they get worse and worse in their treatment of employees and their management, or lack thereof, everday. I'll never go back to this company, no matter what. I cringe at the memories of the 5 years I spent there and I thank God I was able to get out! Education kids, get one so you're not stuck at Blowe's!
Cons
...everything? Especially the joke they call management.
support from co-workers made the job worthwhile
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMarch 5, 2016
Management although trying to look other wise, do not back up the associates. Management has stated that Company Policy is a 'grey area', meaning it can be twisted to fit their agenda. The Management promotes and encourages a hostile work environment.

My co-workers for the most part, were amazing and the customer base was outstanding! They made the job worthwhile.

The most difficult part of the job, was being thrown into a position without the proper training and being held accountable for issues you were not trained to handle.
Pros
Associate Appreciation cookouts
Cons
benefits have decreased over the years
Company is great but employee benefits and job stability is lacking.
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 20, 2016
The work is redundant. Mornings you deal with mostly business accounts and afternoons it family/household purchases. Most afternoon purchases are paint and lumber.

Hardest part is dealing with lack of advancement and employer's unwillingness to hire sufficient staff to meet customers' needs. Wait times at the store are pretty long. Bothers you as a cashier when customers are seeking help and there is no one on the floor to assist them.

I enjoy the customers and meeting people of all walks of life and with all skill levels trying to take on household repairs :-)

Management is OK.
Pros
Customer and Co-workers
Cons
Short hours and no benefits
Had good benefits, 401k plan, stock options for managers, worked a lot of long days.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake in the Hills, ILFebruary 9, 2016
Every day was different. During the first 8-9 years of my career was the best as we worked for managers who cared about work/life balance, your opinions, and helped develop the skills needed to be successful. After that, it seemed like everyone was out for themselves and never cared to take the time for the associates. Lowe's did have a good compensation plan for its managers that included matching 401k plan and stock options. I made some friendships along the way, and some I still keep in contact with to this day.
Lacks team culture from the top.
Assistant Store Manger (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 13, 2016
This district manager had her favorites and never listened to anyone elses ideas or gave them an honest chance to succeed. Real training was non-existent but you were still punished for not doing things to expectation. If you made one mistake your career was over just like that in her mind, even after multiple years with company. It was like walking on eggshells. It was never fun. Too much worry caused and causes issues. I am assuming not all areas were like this, but you never know.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Poor morale, long hours, shift schedule.
Do not waist your time or energy.
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXMarch 16, 2016
After working for Lowes for 8 years and 6 months, I learned that you have to be able to over come the constant staffing changes and supervisors and co-employees that come and go. There are some long term employees but they are few and far between. The average work day consists of doing your assigned tasks as fast as possible and then if your work has been completed you help complete as many other assigned task as you can. I Learned to operate narrow aisle lift's and order pickers and a lot about retail warehouse customer service. Management was basically out for them selves and their career advancements. They very rarely honestly wanted input from the rank and file. Even if such input would be of greet use to the company as a whole. As a general rule, it was a dog eat dog situation with a lot of the co-works I worked with, but not all of them. What a shame. In my opinion, a lot of people need to truly work as a team and stop being so self centered. I liked meeting and helping the public and a lot of wonderful co-workers that came and went over the years that I was employed at Lowes.
Pros
Good benifits.
Cons
You are just a body that can be replaced.
Very Social Work Place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYMarch 5, 2016
As a part time employee it was great being able to go to school during the week and work on the weekends. Typically work would consist of me walking the sales floor interacting with the customers providing help and opinions on products. With that being the entirety of my time I learned a lot about various element of home repair, such as different types of lightning. And that was all due the great help of my coworkers, they welcomed me showed me the ropes as some may say. The hardest part for me was standing on my feel for those eight hour shifts. Again the most enjoyable part of the job were the customers. Everyday it was someone new with a new home improvement project and it was exciting knowing my opinion could possibly make its way into the final project.
Pros
Health Benefits for part-time, Flexible Hours
Cons
Manual labor
Enjoyable place to work.
Electrical Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Logan, WVJanuary 25, 2016
Unloading pallets, putting away inventory, stocking shelves, unloading incoming trucks, placing special orders for customers, and helping customers. How to operate a scissor lift. Management was great at all times. Co-workers for the most part in electrical was young men willing to learn. Long hours on your feet and the constant rotating shift from day shift to evening. Helping advise customers on how to install their electrical projects more cost effectively but better quality of the installations.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Long hours on your feet with no customers to help made for long hours.
Job Description and Daily Actvities
Plumbing Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GAFebruary 25, 2016
Schedule varies from 5:30am -11:00pm 40 hours a week. I do everything from putting up freight, waiting on customers and designing bathrooms. The hardest part of my job is the hours and heavy lifting. The best part of this job is bringing happiness to the customers in designing a bathroom or just helping them solve a problem around their home. I love to help the new employees find their fit within the store thru knowledge that I have a lot of after all the years I have been there. I work well with management to help them achieve store goals.
Pros
401K
Cons
hours - only one weekend off per month
lots of standing
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Pocatello, IDMarch 12, 2016
greet customers
Ring up customer purchases
Assist customer with credit card applications
Apply customer payments towards credit card accounts
Look up customer orders in computer
Return merchandise to departments

Hardest part are the various hours; some days could be a 4 hour shift, while others could be 9 hour shift. Shifts are scattered all through out the day.
Not allowed to leave your assigned register except to stand in isle to allow customers to see you.
Only allowed to sit down when on breaks, makes for a long day on your feet
Pros
Direct deposit & benefits offered for part time
Cons
Working weekends & evenings & varying times of day/ length of shifts
When I started working there the environment was nice, but as management changed people's attitudes about work got much worse.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDJanuary 12, 2016
Lower management were easy to talk to and usually very helpful, however the farther up the chain people were, the more ignorant they became to real problems during a typical day at work, and it was hard to talk to them about making improvements or any self advancement. Work environment otherwise was typically very friendly and other employees were easy to get along with. The benefits offered by this company were actually very good, however annual raises were barely enough to compensate for the time that management require you give to the job. Overall it was not a bad place to work through college, I learned very much and improved my interpersonal and multi-tasking skills, but ideally it is not an occupation or an environment that I wish to stay in for an extended period of time.
Pros
Good benefits, free food at store meetings, lots of prize drawings and holiday cookouts.
Cons
Management style.
A job with low expectations
Sales Specialist, regional Top 10 Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 2, 2016
The job is providing customer assistance, re-stocking, and maintaining a clean area/dept/store. This is physically challenging work!

Scheduling is an issue. Weekly hours are unpredictable which many emps feel is to prohibit them from having second jobs which many need to pay the bills.

Pay is hourly and low. 8$/hr and up for CSA, Specialists 11$/hr and up. Raises are typically 1-2 %.
Pay incentives/bonuses are touted, but nearly impossible to achieve.
Surprising for a company that sponsors NFL games, and NASCAR teams, etc...

Management is not necessarily skilled and depends on the individual. All mgrs use the Lowe's playbook which holds the employee responsible regardless of circumstances. Mgrs make ALL the decisions so your college degree is worth zip.

The hardest part of the job: the concrete floors and the requirement to stand all day. Lowes has a hip and knee replacement plan.

The best part of the job: Helping people find a solution (either at Lowes or elsewhere) who really appreciated it.
Pros
Discounts and good deals on returned or compromised merchandise.
Cons
Customer rudeness, and antiquated, miserly business practices
Working at a Distribution Center Was Dreadful
receiving associate (Former Employee) –  PAJanuary 19, 2016
Working in the distribution center was a very physical and stressful job that at times didn't seem humanly possible to do due to the lack of enough power equipment for everyone and the outrageous expectation of how much would get done by an employee each day. The place is known as a revolving door of new people who don't stay, and for their own reasons some simply walked out after attempting to work a while or they were let go at 90 days often when health insurance benefits come due. The maximum starting hourly pay for the highest paying shift which was the three day weekend shift wasn't competitive, especially considering that the risk of personal physical injury for having to move so much merchandise so fast in such a facility was high.
Cons
Very labor intensive, Moderate pay, Mngt. unwilling to allow transfer to more appropriate dept.
Decent benefits and retirement options
Project Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newton, NJ 07860March 25, 2016
Generally speaking Lowes is a good place to work. The work environment is loud and busy at times. The health benefits are decent and they have a program called life track that employees can utilize for all aspects of health. The retirement package offers a match depending on how much you put into it. They also offer employee stock at a discounted price. There's a 10% discount off most purchases. In my area they seem to do a good job in hiring the right people.
Pros
10% discount, retirement package, stock purchase plan, benefits
Cons
hour lunches required for full time, loud environment
Very Stressful environment
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMarch 27, 2016
A typical day at Lowes is extremely stressful, Management is just as bad as the workers. Customer service sucks. The co workers are mean and impolite . The most enjoyable part is putting a smile on my customers face and making a remarkably lasting impression
Pros
free money if ssei is met, the customers are nice, great benefits, understanding so what when it comes to unexpected life situations, competitive pay, paid vacation
Cons
Clicks on the job
Good first job
customer service (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2016
The coworkers were always very friendly. I got to learn the basics of customer service standards and the way a business is run day to day. Management, for the most part, was very friendly and didn't mind helping out with any issues. Compensation was higher than expected for being my first job, a great starting point. Overall the hardest part(s): coping with disgruntled customers, and getting used to prolonged standing. I also ran into9 the "no room for advancement" problem once I was moved to customer service from being a regular cashier.
Pros
Coworkers, compensation, longterm customer relationships
Cons
Advancement, short staffed
Terrible management...Low pay.. Bad Schedules
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLFebruary 22, 2016
Unless your desperate for a job skip this one! Constant turnover among drivers due to poor management. Zero planning when routes are dispatched resulting in late deliveries, upset customers, Your schedule is never the same and 3 weeks per month you WILL work saturdays and sundays with 1 weekend off. The benefits once were pretty good but changed Jan 2016 and the insurance is high with very high deductables and out of pocket expense... Most drivers last less than 6 months...Skip this experience!
Pros
Cons
pay, healthcare, management...all sucks!