Lowe's Employee Reviews

Found 15,554 reviews matching the search
It''s retail
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 2, 2017
Each day involves looking for product listed on a scanned report while helping customers and probably covering another department or two. As a manager, you have to shift associates to where the business is taking them away from their assigned duties for which they will suffer. I learned patience and how to communicate more effectively with a broader range of people; both associates and customers. Management was hit and miss, some good some not, all overworked. The culture varied from store to store and within each store. Morale filtered from the management. The hardest part of the job was getting assigned tasks done in a timely manner while handling associate and customer concerns. The most enjoyable was helping an appreciative customer.
Pros
Benefits, good pay
Cons
no work life balance
The Perfect Place to Work (if you live in the Mooresville area)
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCFebruary 6, 2017
Lowe's has been a great place to broaden my digital project management experience. They've given me the freedom to redefine my role, processes and way my team works. I've moved up from a contractor to full time to now managing the team. We have the ability to work from home as much as needed which helps to appease the fact that we only get 2 holidays off each year (Christmas / Thanksgiving). Unfortunately my team rarely gets them off as well. But management understands this and will work with you on comp time to make up for the terrible vacation policy.

If it weren't for the commute I doubt I'd be looking for a job anywhere else. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at Lowe's but I need to find a place closer to home.
Pros
Environment, People, Work Life Balance
Cons
Commute; Compensation; Vacation Policy
Lot's of opportunities
Receiving Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAMarch 8, 2017
This was my only experience in the retail industry. I started as a sales clerk and moved up several times in just a couple of years. I finally decided the retail industry was not my cup of tea, but Lowes was good to me, paid well, good benefits, great retirement benefits and I learned a lot about management and supervision while I was there. They offer a lot of opportunities to advance and get training and if you work for them you should take every opportunity provided to you it will propel your career. I worked with some great people at Lowes and they are a generally well run company with well defined roles and expectations.
Pros
Excellent HR and training available if you choose to take advantage
Cons
Rotating days and hours reek havoc on your life outside of work
Good pay, great benefits;
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 20, 2017
Good pay, great benefits. Restructuring has become an annual event at the end of every fiscal year so job security is nil. Safety is always top of mind, but it's more about how much money can be saved on the bottom line than actual employee safety. As a manager you will have no work life balance, as your shifts will be rotating between open (530 am) , mid (9am-8pm) and closing (12pm-11pm). Sometimes you will work an close, then a mid, then open, with only 6-7 hour off in between. If you try to negotiate a better schedule you will be told "it works in 1700 stores, it will work here" and senior managers are not interested in hearing any options.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
scheule, lack of caring from senior management
Good benefits. Not much else.
Former Dept manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 6, 2017
I took a pay cut to come here from a competing company on the advise of former co-workers that said it is a much better place to work with better benefits. Well the benefits were better overall but the pay was lower than expected and raises were non existent. After 18 months as a department manager with almost zero training form upper management we are told that the company is re structuring and all Dept managers are to be eventually eliminated. So even though there were better benefits with the restructuring the chance of getting any advancement opportunities without relocation has been virtually eliminated. Not a family first company.
Pros
Good benefits at a reasonable rate. 40 hr work weeks.
Cons
Everything else
Enjoyable and great customer experience
customer service by engaging customer (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCMarch 17, 2017
Typical day consist mostly of giving great customer service. I have learned a great deal about the remodel industry in the last 16 years. There is room to advance into management positions. I have seen the culture also change in the last 10 yrs to where we strive to offer installations services in doing complete remodels which saves the customer from having to find contractors themselves. I think the hardest part of the job is notifying the customer that their product has been damaged in shipment and they have to wait another 3 weeks on product. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was knowing that I took care of the customer and made them want to return to Lowes and growing that rapport with the customer
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Workinng rotating shifts
Lowes is a pretty lousy business
Head cashier (Former Employee) –  North Providence, RIMarch 1, 2017
Worked there recently for a year. Very circular logic when it comes to rules and how to follow them when a customer calls corporate. Work environment sucks because everyone is fighting over hours and throws each other under the bus. The management is either patronizing or completely in their own world. Barely any workers on the floor and as a customer service manager I would constantly be the one to be yelled at because a multi billion dollar company cannot afford staffing their store.

The benefits are a gimmick to continue working short staffed for a very small bonus every quarter.

Oh and they just laid off 300,000+ employees.
Really want to work there? :)
Pros
They offer free food in the break room at times
Cons
What little they do they do it for manipulation tactics.
Great company to work for
Assistant Store Manager/Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Osage Beach, MOJanuary 27, 2017
*High energy and something new everyday
*I have learned how to be effective in coaching as well as selling in a
highly diverse environment.
*I have managed a lot of different associates in several different environments and have adapted and well to each.
*The hardest part of the job at Lowes is that my husband is an Electrical Contractor and works Monday thru Friday. I raised 2 children for 15 years as a single parent and now am looking to spend more quality time with my family.
*The most enjoyable part of Lowes is that I leave everyday knowing that "I made a difference in someone else's day"
Pros
Had a lot of cook outs for their employees
Cons
Corporate scheduling ranged from shifts starting at 4am - midnight
Fail to realize quality employees. Heavy responsibility on employees with no added benefit
Receiving/Freight Flow/Facilities Dept. Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJanuary 2, 2017
Quality employees are rarely recognized and turnover can be plenty. As the years go by, more and more responsibility is placed on employees with no added benefit to the employee. This is, of course, to please the stockholders and increase the stock price. By the way, most of what the CEO makes is in stock options. Lowe's has forgotten what really matters to people, getting adequate payment for services provided and advancement.
Pros
occasional lunches and holiday parties
Cons
compensation, advancement, scheduling, lack of genuine concern of employee well being
ups and downs
ex- Department Manager - CSA5 (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 9, 2017
Vision insurance is AWESOME! Medical, not so much. Mostly average. Lowes also likes to purge managers everyone few years, and this year was the latest. You never know if your position will exist tomorrow or not.
The full time revolve around a rotating schedule of 4 weeks. 1 week out of that would be your sat-sun off. the next week is sometimes sun and fri off or mon and fri off. then you get a few days each week off together. Having to get an override can be tedious as they aren't a lot of managers to come to help.
The culture is nice. They are very energetic and creative with a lot of different things.
I enjoyed the people I worked with and the managers as well.
Pros
GREAT VISION, awesome 401k match, discount, pay well
Cons
1 weekend a month off, some rotations may have a lot more closes than others, close at 10 and can't leave until 11pm during summer season, may only work alone in your dept.
Stepping Stone
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 26, 2016
The company itself is an excellent place to work and develop personal skills that one may be able to use in the future, basic home maintenance. Health and work benefits are really competitive to some of the other benefits from previous work experiences but it is the lack of advancement that hurts the company.

Advancement may be limited depending on store politics within upper management and often times hard work and dedication go unnoticed and unappreciated.

Though the company itself is excellent it is the local store level, the location of employment itself, that really hurts this job from becoming a career possibility. Though the people working with you, coworkers, are really fun and caring individuals that make overlooking the bias within upper management bearable.
Pros
Excellent pay, great benefits, balanced workload
Cons
prone to horrible managers, scheduling conflicts, lack of advancement
You will love working here...if you can afford to stay.
Assembler/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, TNDecember 31, 2016
The ONLY bad about Lowe's was the pay/benefits. No annual raises. Low starting pay. No bonus potential. There was a lot of fun to be had. There was also a lot of "tell me to do it and leave me alone"...which I loved. Less than ten per hour is not a bread-winning or bread-supporting job for that matter. Lots of good managers that will just come shoot the breeze with ya whether you're on break or not. Lots of practical jokes, card/gift giving that make it feel like friends working together. The day to day doesn't change a lot. Days that you work can be set the longer you work there. Most holidays are worked.
Pros
Hour lunch, could flex hours, transparent, supportive, and awesome leadership
Cons
Very low pay, not a big opportunity for advancement
team work and appreciation
CSA/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Warwick, RIJanuary 8, 2017
Fun place to work. Employees are conscientious workers and will assist in any way. Benefits for full timers are good. Hours are flexible. A typical day at work may involve new ways of processing ordering, selling products and employee benefits.... meaning new ways to help you to advance. Management, well.... some are fair and know what they are doing. All share in having functions to show their appreciation for the workers and all they do. Presenting them with awards, acknowledgements and gratitude. The hardest part of the job can sometimes be working with the public. Sometimes you just get that one unhappy person to which nothing you can say or do will please them. The most enjoyable part of the job is working as a team and knowing that someone always has your back.
Don't over commit
Employee (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 8, 2017
Don't commit yourself to this company's success. You are just a cog in a corporate machine that will eventually run you over. Company just went through "re-structuring" that resulted in widespread layoffs and demotions.

My particular location is run by a "man" who puts his friends into management positions and stifles the advancement of those he wants to fire but can't due to fear of paying unemployment.

Folks who were managers just weeks prior are now seen as expendable and overpaid, with new managers regularly threatening their jobs.
Pros
Benefits, I guess
Cons
Management, CEO, customers tend to suck.
Productive and exciting place to work with many benefits.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day consists of partnering with management to prioritize what is urgent and most important on that particular day. After meeting with a member of management I will walk the department to search for anything out of the ordinary, trucks that may be coming in, searching for and helping any customer I come in contact with and making a list for what I would like to accomplish for the day. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people love where they live. It may sound cliche but I genuinely enjoy helping people and doing anything I can to make their experience at Lowe's a positive one. The most difficult part of the job is either the inability to work overtime if needed to finish tasks in crucial moments or finding the proper resources to help get the information needed concerning customers orders.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Retail schedule and hours
an ok place to work
Team member (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCMarch 4, 2017
This is a decent place to work as far as benefits like insurance etc. The culture tends to favor one small group of people that can do what they want while everyone else is held to the standards of the company. During peak season there are no days off and you work a lot of overtime. I am looking to move on only because I can no longer do the work physically. I worked on a standing forklift for five years straight and now have hip problems. I had planned to at least work here until I graduated college
Pros
Safety dinners, vacation time, mostly good management
Cons
Short breaks, standards are hard to make in certain areas
a secure job especially when the depression hit
Customer Service Associate (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Havertown, PAJanuary 14, 2017
you will have a stable job; as far as promotions, politics are involved among management and associates. The pay is average around 13 dollars an hour. when it comes to co-workers, if you have a good workers acting like team players, you will have a good working environment. If you have unproductive individuals, this will make your experience at lowes very difficult. the hardest part of the job is when lowes is under staff. the management team will make to you double the work you usually do.
Pros
benefits, parties
Cons
pay
Safety-first environment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCMarch 11, 2017
Physically demanding for the small stint that I worked there, but my coworkers were all loving people and cared about your well being. The hardest part about the job was the physicality and working through nights, but the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn new skills faster and move up the ladder quickly. Management was a little iffy at times, but it depended on who your manager was in your department.
Pros
Benefits, friendly coworkers, life balance, job security/advancement
Cons
Physical, questionable management, short lunches and breaks
Great company, great benefits, bad management
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAFebruary 7, 2017
Lowes is a great company, they pay very well, not a hard job, but the upper management , regional management has no direction, no care , no leadership, they are not leaders, they are about numbers, and will work you , overwhelm you, stress you, exhaust you, they do not motivate their staff, very low moral, they will do underhanded things to cover their own mess ups. Im not saying every store is like this but the one in Hammond la is. Scheduling sucks, cant have a personal life if your full time. Not a job for family oriented person.
Pros
Benefits, pay, free cook outs, vacations, paid time off
Cons
Always understaffed, no team work, schedules sucks
Bad for America and YOU!!!
Building Materials Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 26, 2016
-90% Cheaply made Chinese products
-Outsourcing IT jobs to other countries like India
-Low pay for amount of work requested
-Hours constantly changing with terrible scheduler
-Understaffed constantly (High turnover rate wonder why)
-Just the fact that they sell Monsanto ROUNDUP READY products should tell you how much they care about people
-Lack of care for employees and management only cares about themselves and their store numbers
-Management sets unrealistic goals for their employees who they care little about
-Employee bonuses disappeared when new management took over (good bye incentive to sell)
Pros
Leaving for lunch
Cons
Hours, Benefits, Rude Customers, Bad Management, Annoying Music