Lowe's Employee Reviews

Found 13,649 reviews matching the search
enjoyable place to work
Garden Center Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, PAMarch 25, 2016
Ive learned many different skills in my management experience in retail whether it be with the customer or fellow employees. Communication and time management being the most important. Also learning from loss prevention experience to be able to identify and understand different human behaviors. My job is physically demanding and there is no issue with that. I love my job and the people that are part of my team and being able to help customers get the results they need to when piecing together a project. Hardest part about my job is that the schedule is all over the place leaving little time to plan and function in a family setting in my personal life.
Pros
seeing results of hard work
Cons
insurance is a little expensive, work/life balance is very difficult
Department Manager
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 21, 2015
The benefits for this company are excellent. The ability to advance is a challenge. A lot of playing favorites, with little training. They throw you to the wolves to learn. Moral it the stores I worked in were terrible. With the last store having the lowest employee opinion survey results in the market.
Pros
pay, beneifts
Cons
management structure, moral in stores, advancement
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDFebruary 15, 2016
Competitive wages and benefits. Very concerned for the associates well being. Management works with the associates to help them become successful.
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
Very physical work.
Good place to work and must be able to multi-task.
Customer Service Associate II (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 7, 2016
A typical day at Lowe's can be busy depending on what day it is. I assist customers in my desired department on the different products we have and must be knowledgeable about each product in case customers have questions. I learned how to be patient with customers because not all customers are the same some know what they want before coming into the store and some I have to explain in detail about each product which could take up to 45 minutes before the customer makes a decision. In that 45 minute time period assisting a customer, there may be a customer or two waiting for me to finish with that one customer, since I'm the only one in the department. Management will not come and help most of the time they'll just same call a co-worker over to help you which can get frustrating. The co-workers at my job are friendly and some I've became close friends with. I haven't had any trouble out of any co-worker or manager and they haven't had any trouble out of me. The hardest part of my job is must be able to multi-task. I f a co-worker call out sick or for any other reason I must be able to handle two departments alone. Depending on how busy it is in the store several customers may not get the assists they need due to me being held up by one customer with so many questions. The most enjoyable part of my job is talking to co-workers seeing how their day has been and also talking to friendly customers.
Pros
One hour lunch breaks
Cons
No benefits for part-time employees
great company to work for just not for me at this time
Assistant Front End/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 10, 2016
over alll a great company to work for has great benefits for both the customer and the employees.
They offer many different types of items for the home and personal use.
Meet a lot of different people
Commercial Sales (Current Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCMarch 20, 2016
Fast paced but under staffed on sales floor.
Great co-workers.
Have had some great managers.
Best part of job helping people with projects.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not enough staff on sales floor
It is was a rewarding, fun a great place to work
PROJECT SELLS SPECIALIST EXTERIORS (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCApril 5, 2016
A typical work day at Lowes is exciting and rewarding. I learned the retail side of business from a management standpoint. I had great co-workers in the store and I worked very close with my counter parts from other stores to help them in any manor since I was one of the senior specialist. I worked independent with minimum supervisory, I controlled my own hours which were usually more than expected to meet customer needs. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching the final product once the work was completed.
Pros
Working in a family oriented environment
Cons
Long hours to meet and exceede customers needs
Overall, a great place to work at and make new friends
Dairy/Frozen Manager (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXNovember 28, 2015
Fun and great place to work for, and to meet and make great friends. its also a good place to work for that offers flexible schedules. Management is always understanding and considerate of their employee staff. co-workers, are always great to be around, hardest part of the job, would be dealing with disgruntled and unruly customers, the most enjoyable part would be working alongside great co-workers and with a great management.
Pros
Paid holidays
Benefits
Not recommended
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLOctober 18, 2015
You will notice there are always job postings at Lowes. Very high turnover because the way you are treated. Great benefits / wage and that is about it. Lowes pays you well and treats you very poorly. Management will talk to you like you're a 5-year-old. You will be harassed, teased, and belittled by other employees and management. Not enough employees to take care of the daily business or the customers. Always pushing more work with fewer employees. Mistakes are made daily and everyone plays the blame game. On the surface, everyone seems happy, but in reality most employees are miserable. You will be treated like a second class citizen and spoken down to very often by salary management. The customers are terrible and always demanding something for nothing. Absolutely the worst job I have ever held. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company.
Pros
Benefits and wages are very good
Cons
Poor environment. Always in no-win situations.
Making a difference
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CADecember 16, 2015
As a cashier right when i go to my register that is assigned to me i make sure i have all the supplies i need for example, scissors, tape, and recipe paper. I then turn on my light and start helping out the customers by offering them a Lowes credit card so the can save money. Another way i help out the customers is by asking them once they are at the register if they need help with anything at the end i double check to see if they were satisfied shopping at Lowes.
Pros
good amounts of breaks
Cons
No benefits unless full-time, short on hours
Big box company that cares about employees
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAOctober 24, 2015
Lowe's is one of the greatest companies to work for. They offer amazing benefits and incentives. It's fast paced and you always learn something new everyday. Morale and attitudes do change with the employees, it all buckles down to the management team. If the employees feel they have a good team they will work hard, if they feel they don't then morale goes down. Other than that I always recommend Lowe's as a great place to work. It's fun interacting with the employees and customers. You start to feel like the regulars are your friends.
Very productive, good team members to work with. Family oriented.
Appliance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAFebruary 22, 2016
Very fast paced, keeping all team members busy at all times, long days. Not a bad working environment. Move around departments and learn each area of the business.
Pros
Do your job and no one bothers you.
Cons
Healthcare, benefits
review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pisgah Forest, NCJanuary 11, 2016
Each day a learning experience was great for me. Management was focused to help us and training was very appreciated. Coworkers were very nice and helpful at that time. Schedule was never constant and never could take time off in advance because of that. Learning something new each day was very enjoyable!
Pros
Management, Benefits
Cons
work schedule
Labor Intensive Job with Some Room to Grow
Pro Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 16, 2015
Once one gets into a certain department, the job is pretty much the same each day. Middle management is very much into micromanaging. Safety is everyone's goal. Labor hours especially towards year's end become a concern and if there is a vacancy in several positions management expects everyone who is left to absorb the responsibilities of those departments. It spreads each employee thin due to added responsibility without fair compensation or consistent communication. Customer service, cleanliness of store, completing daily tasks, all fall by the wayside with no attention or acknowledgement given by management. Lunch is an hour (preferably), and they are flexible when it comes to hours, though an open availability is expected for full time employment.
Pros
discount, holidays off, benefits, holiday pay, overtime
Cons
turn over is high, inconsistant conformity of company policy from store to store
just a job
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 22, 2016
Good benefits and fair pay. Always understaffed especially in the larger stores. You do get a qtrly bonus but these sre best in small stores. Average bonus for associates $200 .dept man. $700. If your store is trying to reach the next turnover level they will do anything to get there so hr cuts and excuses to fire are common. They have tried to improve training but its still very poor. Its usually a few days on the induction pc. Then youre thrown out there. Its survive or die! The Gm is usually only interested in profit. Profit is bonus for him. He can double his pay lAsdociates earn 8 - 10 dol hr. Dms 15 -17 per hr. It a job. Dont expect to be treated as a person just a number. Staff are canon fodder for the GMs pay. I worked there for 4 years as DM. They sre not open to new ideas. You need to remain the grey man. Dont get on HRs radar otherwise you will be gone before u know it! They work u like a dog. Customer complaints are rife due to poor comunication. Customer Theft is extentsive since you are not allowed to intervene except under extreme circumstances. The co. Wont employ security staff so its a thieves heaven. Lowes are scared to desth ofbeing sued . If you touch a thief in any way u will be terminated.So its a steady job your co workers are on the balance ok. Management -asst.man up are poor.
Pros
pay benefits
Cons
poor management, rude customers, no communication, no respect by managers for staffó
14+ years with Lowes, it was a great place to work until the last set of new management arrived. They aren't what they were even a year ago.
Appliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Port Orchard, WAOctober 15, 2015
Loved my job up to a year ago. Lowes does not support the employee expectations of advancement. They also do not supply the means to be successful with the public as far as the employee is concerned. Can you imagine being an Appliance Specialist and handling not only the Appliance Department but Plumbing and Kitchen Cabinets at the same time by yourself and keeping everyone happy. I tried, I don't want to do it anymore.
Pros
Location, people trying to meet requirements were wonderful, benefits.
Cons
limited staff, hours, irregular schedule, unrealistic expectations
Pleasant Work Enviroment
administrative (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJanuary 24, 2016
I am fortunate to say that I have enjoyed working for Lowe's. There are great benefits, flexibility and opportunities to learn the company. However, it is difficult to climb the corp. ladder without having connections. That is the case with most companies.
Pros
Great Amenities
Cons
Difficulty climbing corp ladder
Great place to work!!
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Orchard, WAFebruary 15, 2016
Lowe's is an efficient, safe (despite the potentially dangerous type of work done) and friendly environment in which to work. I highly recommend this employer to anyone.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly coworkers, comprehensive training, good safety and security practices
Lowe's
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Clinton, NCMarch 22, 2016
Lowe's offers many benefits for their employees and their family members. Busy environment and multi tasking is a great skill to have in this environment.
Enjoyable place to work with good benefits
department manager (Current Employee) –  North Canton, OHNovember 12, 2015
Enjoyable work with a variety of activities to keep the day moving. Typical day involves sales to the public and inventory maintenance. Plenty of opportunity for advancement within a short period of time. Management can be lax and quality communication is limited. Days usually move quickly and coworkers are generally upbeat.
Pros
Excellent benefits, good advancement opportunities
Cons
Work rotation makes developing a routine difficult