Lower Colorado River Authority Employee Reviews

Busy and Stressful
Heavy vendor customer service (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 21, 2016
LCRA was a very good company years ago and I did enjoy it. However with any place that employs there is always change. With that change comes people losing jobs and the employees still working and expected to pick up the slack with no training or knowledge of the position that is not going to be refilled. The benefits are ok not great and the pay average.
Pros
performance bonus if you are approved to receive on but there is not guaranty
Cons
overloaded with work
You can learn a lot about the business and can work on a variety of projects.
Senior Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 26, 2016
I enjoy the variety of projects I work on and have learned a lot about the utility business as LCRA provides power, water and transmission services to more than one million Texans. My early hours allow me to accomplish many tasks before most of my co-workers arrive. My manager is approachable and listens to new ideas.
Pros
Nice work environment; can work from home occasionally; project variety.
Cons
Somewhat cliquey; information does not always trickle down to where it's supposed to go.
Great company to work for and very family oriented.
Senior Hydraulic Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 16, 2016
I loved working for this company ,they are a company that cares about you and Texas. I gained a lot of experience on people and how a company can change your outlook on every day life. I hated to leave this company but it was time to move on to a new avenue in my career,
I loved working at LCRA, I grew up there with many fantastic freinds
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 5, 2016
Typical day was overseeing multiple construction projects from Line Construction to Substation Construction with many disciplines such as Civil, Electrical and Control crews.Keeping crews motivated and hiring good employees and training the new ones. I learned the value of respecting each other. When you have that many people to work with to get projects done you must be honest and respected while also respecting your co-workers and your employees.The hardest part of the job was being micro-managed by upper management. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and completing some of the most difficult jobs and making sure that safety was always at the forefront and being able to teach other employees the proper and safest way to complete the project and return to your families every time you come home.
I had no intention of retiring from LCRA after 37 years and was going for 40 years when ABB called. Loved working at LCRA, My Granddad and my Father both retired from there also.
Pros
Lots of new Challenges
Cons
Being Micro- Managed
Fun place to work but not worth it
Park Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Creek, TXSeptember 8, 2015
Working at the LCRA is fun and exciting but working outside everyday in 100 degree weather gets a little too much. Also, don't think you'll get holidays off, thats when you will work 30 hours in two days. Holidays are a lot there and can get to be too much.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long days
New Experience
Recreational Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 14, 2015
Working for the LCRA you get to experience new things and attempt to tackle challenges you may not have faced before. You have to love a job that lets you kayak on the clock.
Not your average law enforcement job.
Ranger (Former Employee) –  La Grange, TXMarch 14, 2013
Worked with little or no supervision with the ability to make or adjust my own schedule. Able to travel vast distances as job dictated. Was provided a new company patrol truck, Ford F-150 4x4 with all the necessary tools to accomplish the job. Was assigned a 21 ft lake boat with 200hp motor and a jet drive river boat that I maintained and used for patrolling and rescue purposes. All in all, a great place to work. Similar to being a Texas Game Warden.
Pros
take home vehicle and furnished new equipment
Laid back environment, good benefits, lower pay
Engineering Technician Senior (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2014
Not a bad place to work if you're almost ready to retire. The younger crowd will be taken advantage of and receive the majority of the workload while the others work really hard at.. talking? There are exceptions to this, but overall workloads are very unbalanced. The company's future does not look bright at this time.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
everything gets a little worse every year
Great place to work at. There is always room for improvement.
Sr. Water Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Bastrop, TXJanuary 4, 2013
LCRA is a great company to work for. Management, employees, safety programs, benefits are all at the top of anybodies list.
Typical work day at LCRA is to do your job to maintain equipment and own up to your responsibility as a employee. By doing this you are able to grow with the company in knowledge and friendships. A person will only make the job as hard as she or he want to make it. By working with others or by yourself you know that there is always someone you can count on in case you need some kind of support.
I hope this will help someone who might be having trouble adjusting to working conditions anywhere. Make the best of life and things will always come together.
Pros
safety programs, family atmosphere.
Great public/private utility with excellent facilities and happy employees
Boating and Water Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 10, 2013
Generously compensated for a lot of hard work.

Collaborative atmosphere with attentive management.

Fun work environment with the benefits of providing a top-notch public service.
Cons
losing a significant amount of state-funding and thus downsizing at the moment
Fun place to work
Park Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Creek, TXJuly 14, 2015
Fun, always something new to do. The days keep you on your toes. Most of the work is outside, so be prepared to sweat. Work with summer camps some days, lots of little kids running around.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Some temp work
Loved working for LCRA
Accounting Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2012
Loved my job. However, massive layoffs and turnover left the company unorganized and in kaos. New management hired lacked the training and skills to pick up the pieces. I'm sure in time LCRA will get back on it's feet, but for now...it's a stressful mess.
Pros
work from home 1 day a week
Cons
low pay
Its ok for some people but not for all.
Relay Technician II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 16, 2012
Management neededs a reality check. Its a good ole boy club. They talk a good game.But they don't apply the rules accross the board to everyone the same. They talk respect to everyone and then play favorites. It all starts at the top.
Pros
pretty steady
Cons
management
Company is on the skids
Office Survey Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 4, 2013
LCRA has gone under massive changes over the last 3 years with no end in sight. The company is suffering from a severe lack of leadership, loss of customers and continued poor public perception.
Pros
nothing standsout as exceptional
Cons
constant upheavel
Solid Company, Changes Often, Low on the Compensation Compared to industry
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 30, 2014
Work is generally stress free and high focus on safety. Enjoyable environment but opportunities for advancement are slow to open.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Limited advancement, Compensation
great place to work
Electronic Technician contract employee (Former Employee) –  la grange, txOctober 30, 2013
good people to work with in an exciting work environment. I had a great time working for this company with always something new to work on.
Pros
great people
Cons
difficult to gain full time employment
LCRA Company in Procurement
Senior Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2013
A busy office environment. Work directly with Project Managers in a project-oriented environment
Pros
Flexible working environment
Cons
promotions are difficult to obtain
Okay place to work
Engineering Associate II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2015
If you are looking for an okay place to work, LCRA is the place. Co-workers are friendly. Management could use some work.
Great working environment and well balanced...nice river
General Accountant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasMay 3, 2011
I loved working for the LCRA in Austin but, I moved to California so, why I left. It's a great environment to work for and it has a purpose.
awesome company to work for
relay tech 2 (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2013
family and friendly orientated company. it starts out at a reasonable pay scale and you increase annually.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lower Colorado River Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Lower Colorado River Authority Reviews by Location