Lower Colorado River Authority Employee Reviews

Lack of long-range goals
Software Asset Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 25, 2017
Management did not have a view of long-term retention of employees; contractors were hired without possibility of retention into permanent positions, and then contracts not renewed.
great place - great people just a few bad apples
Supervisor, and Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  LCRASeptember 30, 2017
Worked here for more than 20 years had a great career, advancement. was eligible for retirement - assigned to poor manager decided to retire. LCRA is a public utility and conservation district in central Texas
I loved it
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 28, 2017
The LCRA has been around for a long time, and has the feel of an old friend. They are close to cutting edge for standards in their industries, and are forward looking.
Pros
Colloborative, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Some departments have poor, weak management
there is a lot there to offer an employee.
Customer Care, Public Relations, Public Safety (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 27, 2017
They have a lot of temporary workers. They minimize the full-time employees this way. Contract workers do not receive benefits and are denied growth opportunities. Management is smug. HR sent me training links incidentally I was reprimanded by my supervisor for taking the training on line that was sent. I was trying to be a diligent and dedicated employee. It was constant micromanagement and criticism with no growth or training offered.
Well managed office environment
System Operator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2017
The company's process improvement program has yielded truly positive and productive change. It incentivizes forward thinking is inclusive for new employees, and fosters an environment that welcomes innovation as well as constructive criticism.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Bureaucracy slows certain work processes
Great environment
CAD Technician for electrical substations (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 19, 2017
Lcra was great at easing you into working. Starting with simple markups to see where your level of experience was. The people were all very professional. I would recommend working there to anyone.
Pros
Great benefits, cafeteria, understanding bosses, updated computers and technology
Cons
No cons
confidential
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, TXAugust 14, 2017
confidential i can not divulge any information about my job as per policy. for any information please contact the main offices of LCRA in Austin Texas
Product, fun family community environment
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 19, 2017
Our company provides opportunities for growth through promotion programs, education assistance. People work hard but are also encouraged by management to have a work life balance. The most enjoyable part of the job beside performing my daily work tasks is giving back to the communities we serve. Our executive management encourages and rewards employees efforts to volunteer in the communities we service.
Pros
Family oriented, supportive, promotion opportunities.
Cons
No cons in my opinion.
Good work/life balance. RIFs are handled poorly.
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2017
Flexible with work hours. Meaningful work relationships and projects. Extremely low moral in my department RIFs were handled poorly due to unprofessional and under-trained middle managers.
Pros
Flexible work hours, Meaningful work relationships and projects
Cons
Underqualified middle managers, below market compensation, except for the ones at the top!
good benefits, new management has changed the work atmosphere and employees are now seen as just a number
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 17, 2017
the place has good benefits, but it the atmosphere is not like it was 5 yrs or more ago. New mangers have changed the things and now employees are just a number and nothing more.
Dismal Place to Work
Sr Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2017
Politics are more important than doing the job correctly. Woman are routinely paid less than men for the same job. Those holds true even into the management levels.There have been too many Management changes and re-organizations to no avail, things continue to go downhill.

This company used to be a great place to work but the environment is now one more akin to resignation, and people are either just hanging on or looking for somewhere else to go.

The upper management are paid absorbent salaries and bonuses while there is never any money for even cost of living raises for the masses.
Bussiness Focused
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 13, 2017
Focused on getting work done. Learned more about the legal issues revolving around a wholesale energy producer, open disclosure requirements, and water related legal issues.
Management fails at communication and offers no balance for the employees,
Diagnostic Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 9, 2017
The job itself was good. Enjoyed training and taking on new challenges. Forced out by management over many years of service. Coworkers were good. Enjoyed the day to day functions of going to different locations.
Nice place to work.
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 2, 2017
Loved the people at LCRA. Management not quite in touch with employees but overall great place to work. Technical support is up to date with trends.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
short breaks
nice
Energy Service electrician I Maintenance) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 11, 2017
good place to start and learn while still being held to a high professinal level during work hours. 24/7 call out. hardest part is working in a good ol boy club
Busy and Stressful
Heavy vendor customer service (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 21, 2016
LCRA was a very good company years ago and I did enjoy it. However with any place that employs there is always change. With that change comes people losing jobs and the employees still working and expected to pick up the slack with no training or knowledge of the position that is not going to be refilled. The benefits are ok not great and the pay average.
Pros
performance bonus if you are approved to receive on but there is not guaranty
Cons
overloaded with work
Great company to work for and very family oriented.
Senior Hydraulic Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 16, 2016
I loved working for this company ,they are a company that cares about you and Texas. I gained a lot of experience on people and how a company can change your outlook on every day life. I hated to leave this company but it was time to move on to a new avenue in my career,
I loved working at LCRA, I grew up there with many fantastic freinds
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 5, 2016
Typical day was overseeing multiple construction projects from Line Construction to Substation Construction with many disciplines such as Civil, Electrical and Control crews.Keeping crews motivated and hiring good employees and training the new ones. I learned the value of respecting each other. When you have that many people to work with to get projects done you must be honest and respected while also respecting your co-workers and your employees.The hardest part of the job was being micro-managed by upper management. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and completing some of the most difficult jobs and making sure that safety was always at the forefront and being able to teach other employees the proper and safest way to complete the project and return to your families every time you come home.
I had no intention of retiring from LCRA after 37 years and was going for 40 years when ABB called. Loved working at LCRA, My Granddad and my Father both retired from there also.
Pros
Lots of new Challenges
Cons
Being Micro- Managed
New Experience
Recreational Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 14, 2015
Working for the LCRA you get to experience new things and attempt to tackle challenges you may not have faced before. You have to love a job that lets you kayak on the clock.
Fun place to work but not worth it
Park Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Creek, TXSeptember 8, 2015
Working at the LCRA is fun and exciting but working outside everyday in 100 degree weather gets a little too much. Also, don't think you'll get holidays off, thats when you will work 30 hours in two days. Holidays are a lot there and can get to be too much.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long days