Lower Eastside Service Center

Lower Eastside Service Center Employee Reviews

Loved the first nine years of this job.
Substance Abuse Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2014
Pros: good benefits, good human resource dept.
Cons: reduced staff, less time for patient interaction.
My supervisors and most coworkers were really great to work with. Then the CEO passed away and the company suffered her loss. Paper work procedures for New York funding changed. Management had turnovers and office politics changed, No more raises or bonus's the last four years I was there. Most workers left on their own accord. Some later got fired. Frustration built over wanting to have more time for better patient care. Most counselors including myself would do overtime daily without pay out of dedication to the job. I finally got burnt out and had to leave.
Interesting work diverse population and lots of variety.
Social Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: calm easy going supervisor, work with a psychiatrist who understood the complex population we were working with.
Cons: it was a difficult population to work with in terms of making change, most of the work focused on maintenance.
Work consisted of group, individual and family therapy for the drug addicted mentally ill. I began as an intern and was hired on permanently after I finished my degree. I learned about working with homeless people who used the facility as a resource for some structure in their lives. Management was located at a different location and seemed a bit out of touch with what we did on a daily basis although any changes made seemed relevant to what we were doing. I was very young and naive when I started there. Growing up in Idaho and moving to NYC was an eye opener and I had toughen up to work with the manipulative clients who wanted to continue to use street drugs at the same time being prescribed psychotropics. I loved my co-workers and my supervisor was a very understanding and easy going person.
Enjoyed working with my coworkers.
Intake/ Admissions Intern Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 5, 2012
Pros: enjoyed my lunch time there was so much to see on the daily basis.
Cons: i gave a 110% still did not get hired.
Enjoyed my extensive internship at Lower eastside. My coworker were just as enthusiastic about applying and learning about the different modalities they came with the job. the hardest part about any job is when you are interning and working so diligently without pay for several months. the enjoyable as well as the teachable moment is when i realized that the clients were the purpose of my day not the interuption of my day. Being able to have such a positive impact on individuals lives is a great moment. I cannot save everybody however if i can help just one then my job is not in vain.