Lower Kuskokwim School District Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Enlightening and highly challenging opportunity to work with Alaska native youth.
Reading, Writing, and History Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJune 1, 2017
Beginning in Atmautluak, I enjoyed teaching Eskimo students Language Arts, and social studies. I learned a great deal about their culture and their challenges. My experience in Atmautluak left me with some great friendships and a huge learning opportunity. My teaching experience in Nunapitchuk lasted longer - 10 years. I became even more challenged in trying to help an isolated community learn and understand the value of having an education. Learning many new teaching strategies and skills made me a better teacher and a more compassionate person.
Pros
Learning about a different culture, and improving teaching strategies.
Cons
Teaching to an isolated student base.
With all the jobs I had I think this is the best I've had and still is.
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKJanuary 16, 2017
I have learned a lot from my supervisor/director in Business department. I would not change anything about learning here with the district. The challenging part was learning what the Accountants do when they come once a year. But it gets easier every year. Working with my co-workers, I wouldn't change that either. We become family and with the kids because we do it for the parents and students..
Hardworking, fun
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Tununak, AKDecember 7, 2016
Started work at 8AM to 5PM, Mainly lifting furniture as a laborer position, co-worker was great, hardest part of the job was lifting 100+lbs
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
LKSD is about what is best for the employee.
Personnel Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKJanuary 1, 2013
I have worked for LKSD for 18+ years. Excellent benefits, with health insurance included at no cost to the employee. Of course there is a deductible. I have had the privilege of having excellent supervisors who are understanding and supportive in the workplace and balancing that with home life.
Cons
cost of living in rural area is outrageous.