Loyola University Chicago

Loyola University Chicago Employee Reviews in United States

Loyola Alumni relations working with staff
Alumni Relations Center Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2016
A typical day at work was assist the Staff and the Secretary with different assignments and deadlines to meet.Typing, filing, answering phones, data entry, distributing of mail, out bound mail processing, Assisting Alumni Staff with projects.Responding to inquires from graduate students.
Learning the Alumni database was exciting input information (alumni events). The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to attend the events basketball games, theaters, baseball games, picnics, prizes etc.
Mixed Educational Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2016
My sense of the undergraduate experience at Loyola, from what I gleaned as a teaching assistant, was quite mixed; some professors provided a challenging curriculum and provocative tests/assignments, while others merely mirrored what was already in the readings and judged students with multiple choice examinations.
Entry level positions with little or no opportunity for professional advancement.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Maywood, ILMay 26, 2016
The company is dedicated to higher education and healthcare initiatives that promote social justice.

However, the opportunities for advancement within the company are extremely limited and seldom occur for seasoned veterans.
Perfect place for student employment
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2016
Excellent place of employment. I really enjoy teaching bi-weekly fitness classes. My boss and Group Fitness leads are great at communicating and have been very helpful to me. I have found a great balance with school work and having an on campus job.
Nice Academic Workplace
Research Assistant-Quinlan School of Business (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2016
Working as a research assistant at Loyola University Chicago makes me immerse in academic environment deeply. I can apply what I learnt from class into my work.
Productive and fun
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2016
I learned a lot from students, coworkers, management and the environment. It is wonderful to work in an academic atmosphere because you constantly nourish your knowledge with up to date approaches and perspectives.
Fun and Young Place
Communications Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2016
This was a great job for my first entry level position. Tight group, like family, but I left to get more experience. I loved my job and my managers.
Good Opportunity for Teaching Experience
Academic History Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2015
I would rate the position of Academic History Tutor at Loyola University Chicago to be an overall positive experience. It allows for those who wish to pursue a career in teaching to learn about how they best teach, which methods are effective and which are not and permits students to employ their field of study. That being said, there is not much work to be had for a tutor outside of STEM fields, an unfortunate but understandable state of affairs considering the current demographics of the school. I suppose it's just the usual state of affairs for those in the liberal arts: you always must be willing to work outside of your field
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Opportunity for teaching experience, regular increases in pay
Cons
Only available to students at Loyola University of Chicago, unpredictable work opportunities, only available during school year
very easy going place to work, relaxed environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2015
I loved working at Loyola University Bookstore was a very fun, relaxed place to work only thing is I was told I was hired permanently but was let go sometime in October. The only thing about this was that I was not given notice as to when my last day was I was told the day of when I came in.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Short notice of not being scheduled
Great place - Feels like Family
Staff member (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2014
Loyola is a great place to work. They treat you like family and it is a great community. What is lacking is advancement in your career. There is little opportunity for growth although there is some emphasis on professional development with furthering your education and/or attending conferences. It is just easy to reach the peak in your work area and have nowhere to aspire to grow. There are some cases of poor management but generally it is a financially healthy place to work with an emphasis on job security.
Pros
community, co-workers, location
Cons
poor management at times, no room for growth

Want to know more about Loyola University Chicago?

Ask a question
Great Place, No where to move up
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2015
Loyola is a great place to work! However, similar to higher educational roles, it is hard to move up unless someone leaves. Additionally, you work 1.5 jobs due to the fact every office is slimmed staffed.
Not happy
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2015
The health insurance is too high and the pay is too low. There is no room for advancement.There is a flexible schedule if you have children or school.
Financial Analyst
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2014
• Developed annual budget plan for the $7 million endowment fund; directed monthly forecast and three-year strategic plan; prepared monthly financial statements; reviewed and monitored variances from forecast to actual.
• Consolidated operational information and presented final budgets to senior management in addition to performing financial analysis for the purpose of business development.
• Supported human resources management with financial expertise. Provided business consulting, analytical decision support, and cost-benefit analysis to propose cost saving strategies and evaluate profitability.
Productive and useful
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2015
I was the desk receptionist for a dorm building at Loyola University. I worked with other receptionists to maintain guest logs and building needs while talking to the residents. It was a crucial aspect of the building becauseI maintained the logs and made sure only proper students and guests were in the building at all times. I was able to do homework and come up with ideas for school events while doing my job.
Pros
productive, able to multitask
Cons
short shifts
Great benefits and job security
Data and Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2015
Great benefits and lots of good people work at Loyola University Chicago. Working in the non-academic side can be annoying because approval can often move at a snails pace.
Educational
Office Clerk/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2015
At first working for this company was a learning experience and fun, as years went by it became very stressful. Some co-workers and faculty were very unfriendly. The good thing about this company at the time, was free tuition to employees.
Pros
Free tuition.
Nice place to work-great commitment to higher learning.
Assistant Director of Student Financial Assistance (Former Employee) –  Chica, ATDecember 18, 2012
Loyola University is definitely committed to higher education and does a good job of taking care of it's employees.
Pros
committment to education, forward thinking
Cons
advancement is slow, healthcare
Productive work enviroment with open minden people
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2014
This is a part-time job that I got. I have learned to keep my ambition always high, focus on the details as much as to the big picture. My co-workers were always helpful and willing to work hard. the job was enjoyable by itself, since the subjects we were working with were interesting.
Fun and Encouraging Workplace
Manager at the Rock Wall in Campus Recreation (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2015
Working at a university recreation center can bring positive and challenging moments. The professional staff is incredibly supportive and offered plenty of resources for the staff. Fellow staff provided friendship, encouragement, and a fun atmosphere
Great University to work for....
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMay 29, 2014
Loyola is a recognized name in Chicago. It just recently ranked 101 in the best colleges/universities of the nation (2013). The environment is great. I've personally never heard of any complaints for friends or acquaintances about the work at Loyola. The only real complaint is that of learning to balance work with studies, but that's a struggle that everyone goes through. I would say that you would have great potential to move up if you worked at Loyola, regardless of the department you worked in. This is provided that you dedicated yourself at work for the time that you signed up/agreed to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loyola University Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2