Loyola University Maryland Employee Reviews in United States

Mail Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 15, 2016
Loyola is a wonderful place to work. I have had the privilege to work aside many hard-working individuals in a family oriented community. I am thankful for the opportunity to achieve many of my personal and professional goals at Loyola.
Pros
People are great to work with
Cons
Growth and Advancement
Slowly Dying...
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 23, 2015
Few people realize it, but Loyola University Maryland is slowly dying. Unwilling and/or unable to adjust to market demands and keep pace with more agile and aggressive competitors, this Baltimore mainstay is relying more and more on its longstanding reputation and less on what it currently delivers. Missed enrollment goals, layoffs, and years of internal political squabbling are severely hampering Loyola from entering the 21st century of higher education.
Pros
Beautiful campus, lots of nice people who have been there a long time
Cons
Poor leadership in constant political battles, lack of vision
Job worked well with class schedule
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 17, 2016
This job worked well because it was very independent and coordinated well with my class schedule. Also could work on home work and personal computer while at work.
This was a great place to work.
Help Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 18, 2016
It was a unique opportunity to work with Loyola University. IT was diverse and provided a broad perspective. Learning to work with a mixture of students and staff.
A good place to work with supportive staff
Director of Program Operations, Teacher Education (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 25, 2015
A good place to work with supportive staff. I loved counseling students during their academic career. I put in the to exceed the student's expectations as I was available to meet with them in evenings and weekends.
Pros
Student are a pleasure to mentor
Cons
Tremendous amount of overtime
Independent work
Certified Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 7, 2015
I was a tutor for Loyola University. A typical day depended on the hours you put up for your schedule and how many students signed up to have you as a tutor. All the students had different teachers, who taught different concepts and had different biases. It was hard to make sure to be in alignment with each instructors ideology. I enjoyed the most helping students find what study and learning techniques work best for them.
Pros
Certification as a peer tutor
Cons
Cancellations and no-shows occur often and tutors are not paid for them.
Great Place
Senior Mentor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 8, 2015
I worked as a desk assistant and mentor while I pursued my undergraduate degree. Everyone was incredibly friendly, and the job was not very stressful. I loved my job.
Fun work environment
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 18, 2015
-Everyone was friendly, overall great work environment
-Performed duties of administrative assistant and offered general office support with the assignment of clerical work including computer data entry, data management of files, and copying
Affiliate = Adjunct
Affiliate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MdApril 21, 2015
Loyola itself did not create the operative model by which college educators are exploited but they use that model very well. Don't expect anything beyond the position; you will be a rented, seasonal employee, nothing else.

Again, that's not the department's fault. They operate according to the dictates of their administration. The problem arises when they also mandate exactly how you would run your classes, how you assess students and how you function as an educator. There is no room for creativity, no room for originality and no opportunity to do anything other than earn a standard salary.

If you are new to the market, it's crucial you understand this point. This is not an entry-level opportunity. This is a temporary job, nothing more. Get in, get as much experience as you can, do not stand out in any way and take the first train you can out of Affiliate Town.
Pros
Resources, some professional people
Cons
No growth potential of any kind
Great
Intern (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 24, 2015
This has been a great experience, everyone at Loyola is super enthusiastic. I have learned so much and the most enjoyable part was getting to see the immediate results of my work.
Loyola has a wonderful sense of community
Budget Project Assistant to the Dean of Faculty (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 9, 2014
A typical day in the dean's office consist of me approving and submitting payment requests for payment. I work in the dean's office with 4 administrators and 2 staff persons. I've learned a bit about grants, donor funds, and budgets versus rollover dollars. Basically the hardest part of my job is the work load. Everything flows beautifully on an average work-day, but considering I am the only person in the office who does the budget, my load heightens tremendously when I am out of the office for any reason. The best part of my job is the awesome team members.
benefits
Cons
healthcare cost, and recent employee cuts.
Hardest job I've ever held
Admin Asst, Student Life (Former Employee) –  Student LifeJanuary 3, 2014
Most co workers are under the age of 30; benefits are great, staff pay is very low; perks are good (vaycay & parties). But...workload is overwhelming to even the most seasoned worker. Not enough money in the world to offset the stress so much work creates. Hiring is very slow - sometimes takes 6-8 months after your first interview to be offered the job. HR is like a behemoth archaic dinosaur that moves at snail's pace. They're not on the side of the worker, more so with faculty and administrators, especially in the area of pay increases. You can work your butt off and no one notices the good you do, until you make a mistake. Very friendly campus, beautiful setting, lots of training available to advance one's career - if you can survive your job. .
Pros
free workshops in software
Cons
workload
Resident Assistant
Office of Student Life, Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 19, 2014
A great job that balances well with other commitments and allows for other activities.
Very easy to work and study
Student Activities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 14, 2014
It was easy to work and study. Overall good atmosphere to be felxible with going to classes and working at the same time. Overall I like working here.
Great Place to Work
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandSeptember 20, 2013
Pay was great, management was cool, co-workers were cool, some could be nosey,hardest part was leaving on time!
Pros
pay, benefits, hours
Cons
could never leave on time, nosey co workers
Productive place to learn
intern Student, Project manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 7, 2013
Learning and using my skills to develop a sustainable business in the future.
Fun place to work!
Athletic Training Room Aid (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 24, 2013
Cool colleagues, enjoyable environment! I would recommend this to any student at Loyola.
Great Work Experience
Senior Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 13, 2013
Using a ticketing system I would respond to clients' problems.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 24, 2013
Well managed program with great support and training opportunities.