Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota

Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Never worked for a company Like LSS before
Direct Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNMarch 15, 2017
Before working for LSS, my idea of a group home settings was basically a paid baby sitter. Which I hated. I didn't want to sit someone in front of a TV and walk away.
Working here changed my idea of what a group home setting can be.

LSS goes Above and Beyond to bring the people we support into the community and have a voice that says "Hey, We're Here!". And in a setting where we constantly encourage independence, it constantly fills me with pride when we achieve a goal that has never been met before.

Lutheran Social Services has been a great company to work for. The pay is better than most and Corporate is working on getting us higher wages through political representation and actions. Management has never made me feel as though I'm just a grunt worker. The corporate side is always interested in our feed back and is continuously encouraging a fun atmosphere.

The Hardest part of my job is thinking of new ways or ideas to encourage independence. But with new stories of other peoples accomplishments we never lack encouragement to keep trying.
Pros
Flexable schedule, decent health care pckage with opportunities to lower premiumsa
Cons
getting the tools we need can be a process but isn't impossible, Increased Back and Spine injury Risk
A great company
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Fosston, MNMarch 8, 2017
Lss is a great company to work for. Very flexible with hours and they understand family time is important. Great bosses, they appreciate the work their employees do. Overall great company to work for.
Pros
Flexibility, understanding, great atmosphere
Fun, positive and supporitve coworkers
Personal Support Services (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNMarch 6, 2017
Lutheran Social Service of MN is a great company to work for! Compared to other jobs I've had in the past, I have never felt so appreciated for the work that I do. It's a very positive and fun work environment, and all my coworkers are so helpful and really go out of their way to be supportive of each other.

I highly recommend anyone who enjoys helping support others in their dreams and reaching their goals to apply at Lutheran Social Service. No matter what position you hold within the company, you can so easily make a positive impact on the lives of others. It's truly rewarding.
If You Enjoy Working By Yourself, This is the Job for You.
Senior Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 27, 2017
The hours within this job were rough, providing little free time for employees. Management expressed very little gratitude for those who go above and beyond the call of duty. The position required very little training and/or education, which was concerning to me, being that you are taking care of mentally ill, homeless adolescents. There were no strict guidelines put into place when it comes to staffing and maintaining professional boundaries.
Great place to work!
NA (Current Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNDecember 24, 2016
I love working for LSS! My manager is so understanding and helpful. Scheduling is so flexible and they definitely allow time for personal time off. Great benefits and everyone who works here is so nice and approachable even the CEO. The pay is decent and some room for advancement.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not a lot of room for advancement
Motivation and hard work is the key to success
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNDecember 10, 2016
I love what i do and i get along with my coworkers pretty good. Am very motivated and most liked by everyone at every job because of my work, i take my job very seriously and am a very hard worker. Most of the job jobs i've had so far i have been the lead and most of my coworkers look upto me. The most pay i got at my jobs was $19 an hour but if i get hired here, ill settle for $16 and up.
benefits
Cons
NA
Good company that is Person-Centered
Director of Personal Support Services (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNDecember 3, 2016
Management is excellent. They provide a good working environment. Company has a solid reputation. We live by Fish Philosophy, ALIVE workplace, and improving the lives of the individuals we support.

Direct support staff are caring, responsible, and detail orientated. Some of the best and funniest people I have ever worked with. Our #1 motto at work is TO HAVE FUN! It is fun to see individuals hopes and dreams come true every day..
Pros
Flexible schedule
Good schedule
Direct Support Professional and House Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Adams, MNNovember 28, 2016
I feel it's a good place to work due to training was great, co worker are reliable . Schedule was customized for the personal needs it's family orientated. Involved with communities
Pros
Good people
Cons
Working to many hours
great working environment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 23, 2016
typically working in a group home. Taking care of individuals. lead them to outdoor activities. Manage their life to be colorful.
independent work, supervision is minimal
Senior Cook (Current Employee) –  Fulda, MNSeptember 28, 2016
Working at the Fulda Senior Center is great for self starters. The work day is short at 5.5 hours a day so there is plenty of time off. You earn P.T.O. as you work which is great.
Pros
No weekends, no major holidays, and short workdays
Cons
breaks depend on menu, some very small meal days
Great independent work
SR REFUGEE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 9, 2016
It has Good people to work with and humble supervisor. Easy job to do and getting more experience in different areas that is lovable.
LSS is great!
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 6, 2016
LSS does wonderful things for people. Co-workers are great! Very flexible with scheduling. Pay is not the best and benefits are expensive though.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
Dsp
Dietary nutritionist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 22, 2016
Provide care for people living with mental and or developmental dissabilities.
Pass medication
CPR first aid certified
Great Place to Work
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 23, 2015
If you want to make a difference in people's lives this is the place. It is tough with the salary though. Love the people and environment.
Good people to work with
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, mnJune 23, 2015
I enjoy the people I work with and the work they do to help people in need. We take incoming calls from our clients who are looking to schedule appointments. We also change appointments and send out packets to customers. We also do a wide variety of office tasks.
Pros
Great Team
Great Work done by Agency
Designated Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNMay 1, 2015
This agency does remarkable work for people who live with disabilities ranging from Developmental Disabilities to Traumatic Brain Injuries.
The culture is focused on the God's word and Jesus Christ. The agencies Mission statement and Vision include the work of Jesus Christ and focus on the people they support.
My typical day was to run the day-to-day operations of an Adult Foster Care group home for people who live with Traumatic Brain Injuries, post-therapy (2 years).
I enjoyed all of my coworkers, and especially my supervisor. There was a synergy of progress inside the agency that promoted the Person Centered Philosophy.
Great work/life balance; Poor management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 25, 2015
Like many other nonprofit organizations, LSS excels at allowing its employees a flexible schedule. This was especially helpful for workers who had children or other obligations outside of work. On the downside, management was very poor. The agency is behind on addressing racism in the workplace. I witnessed a number of employees of color resign from their positions due to the poor work atmosphere (managers using racial slurs, stereotyping clients who were poor, etc). If they can get a handle on the discrimination stuff, it'd be a really great place to work.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Ideal location, good access to training
Cons
Unaddressed racism/discrimination, unskilled management
Unethical behaviors
Designated coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn ParkDecember 4, 2014
The company lacks consistent group home monitoring by their mid level management . Staff are signing into work for one another and not being present at work.
Pros
No supervisor after 5pm.
Cons
lack of supervisor support.
Fun
Brain Injury Support Personal (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNJuly 11, 2014
Assist individual with their adls. Its cool because you can take the residents out for community activities, to the movies, out to eat and get reimbursed for any money you spend I think that would be the best part of the job. the hardest part of the job i guess would be when nobody is around to help when you need it. Where I worked my supervisor wasn't the best but she was nice though but not the best. most of my co-workers were cool maybe 1 or 2 were lazy, always on the phone and practicing their religion in the house which was really annoying and some residents didn't like that but i think it was cultural differences some anyway.
Pros
reimbursement for outings, create your own schedule.
Cons
they try not to hire full time 40hrs wk so no benefits.
Great learning experience!
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 8, 2013
Long story short, It was a great learning experience. Being there and telling people to practice better eating habits and educating them on ways to lower their blood pressure was a great feeling. The questions, comments they had, gave you a since of importance and guidance, as if they were looking at you for ways to help them live a better, healthier life. Also, serving the community and helping those in needs is always a God given experience!
Pros
Cons
Temporary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

100%