Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota

Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota United States Employee Reviews

Great Work done by Agency
Designated Coordinator (Former Employee), Moorhead, MNMay 1, 2015
This agency does remarkable work for people who live with disabilities ranging from Developmental Disabilities to Traumatic Brain Injuries.
The culture is focused on the God's word and Jesus Christ. The agencies Mission statement and Vision include the work of Jesus Christ and focus on the people they support.
My typical day was to run the day-to-day operations of an Adult Foster Care group home for people who live with Traumatic Brain Injuries, post-therapy (2 years).
I enjoyed all of my coworkers, and especially my supervisor. There was a synergy of progress inside the agency that promoted the Person Centered Philosophy.
Great work/life balance; Poor management
Case Manager (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, ideal location, good access to training
Cons: unaddressed racism/discrimination, unskilled management
Like many other nonprofit organizations, LSS excels at allowing its employees a flexible schedule. This was especially helpful for workers who had children or other obligations outside of work. On the downside, management was very poor. The agency is behind on addressing racism in the workplace. I witnessed a number of employees of color resign from their positions due to the poor work atmosphere (managers using racial slurs, stereotyping clients who were poor, etc). If they can get a handle on the discrimination stuff, it'd be a really great place to work.
Unethical behaviors
Designated coordinator (Former Employee), Brooklyn ParkDecember 4, 2014
Pros: no supervisor after 5pm.
Cons: lack of supervisor support.
The company lacks consistent group home monitoring by their mid level management . Staff are signing into work for one another and not being present at work.
Fun
Brain Injury Support Personal (Former Employee), Moorhead, MNJuly 11, 2014
Pros: reimbursement for outings, create your own schedule.
Cons: they try not to hire full time 40hrs wk so no benefits.
Assist individual with their adls. Its cool because you can take the residents out for community activities, to the movies, out to eat and get reimbursed for any money you spend I think that would be the best part of the job. the hardest part of the job i guess would be when nobody is around to help when you need it. Where I worked my supervisor wasn't the best but she was nice though but not the best. most of my co-workers were cool maybe 1 or 2 were lazy, always on the phone and practicing their religion in the house which was really annoying and some residents didn't like that but i think it was cultural differences some anyway.
Great learning experience!
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 8, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: temporary
Long story short, It was a great learning experience. Being there and telling people to practice better eating habits and educating them on ways to lower their blood pressure was a great feeling. The questions, comments they had, gave you a since of importance and guidance, as if they were looking at you for ways to help them live a better, healthier life. Also, serving the community and helping those in needs is always a God given experience!
not ideal
dsp (Current Employee), richfield, mnJanuary 27, 2013
I thought lss would be a great place to work and get my foot in the door since i am going to school for social work. I work at a group home and they have changed so many things on us, it is frustrating. Our hours get changed without being asked and our supervisor is never here when we need her. She doesnt care about her employees and is rude if we have questions. The pay is good, but there are no benefits offered. The communication just stinks.
As a part-time employee of LSS, I find it to be a quality company with an excellent reputation in social service.
Direct Support Professional (part-time) (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNJanuary 20, 2013
As a part-time direct support professional in a group home setting, LSS provides me with comprehensive training specific to the care of developmentally disabled adults on a continuing basis. The company rewards excellence in performance with an increase in pay. Supporting developmentally disabled adults requires patience and understanding and can be personally rewarding.
Best place I have ever worked
Direct Care (Current Employee), Baxter, MNNovember 3, 2012
Pros: flexibility, great supervisors
Cons: no time and a half for worked holidays, pay is ok but could be better.
LSS is an awesome organization to work for. Although it is hard to balance family and work, depending on circumstances, (short staffed for various reasons) LSS is by far the best Direct Care organization I have ever worked for. The Supervisors do the best they can to accommodate your desired shift and days off. As anyone knows in the Direct Care career, unexpected circumstances arise and schedules need to be adjusted but LSS appreciates your willingness to be flexible and never lets you forget how much they appreciate you. The only drawback I can think of is holidays are not time and a half. Everyone gets PTO but it takes you one year to accumulate one day. LSS is non profit so paid holidays are not an option unless you are full-time. I have been with LSS for over a year and love my job! LSS is top notch as far as I am concerned!!!!!
Rewarding opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others
Admin Support (Current Employee), St. Paul, MN, State Center Administrative OfficesNovember 2, 2012
Pros: a lot of room to grow, people who invest in your success, a feeling that you're making a difference to those who really need it, flexible work environment, culture of encouragement from teammates and supervisors
Cons: not paid as much as i would if i went elsewhere, but it's a balance that is outweighed by the flexibility i receive.
I've been with LSS of MN for over 6 years now and consider myself lucky to get up every morning and love what I do! LSS of MN is a great employer for a variety of reasons, they promote frmo within, they are supportive of employee learning, growth, and individual development. They offer a work life balance which allows for flexibility with time off and scheduling. And you get to work with others who are compassionate and competent. I'd recommend LSS of MN to anyone who wanted to listen!

About Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota

Since 1865, Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota has responded to Minnesota's changing needs by being wholly committed to making – Read more

Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota Salaries