Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota

Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Very Rewarding and Satisfying Work
House Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Autumn HouseAugust 17, 2017
I have been in positions of assisting individuals for quite a few years. Being here at in this capacity has given me an opportunity to expand on what I wanted to be able to do to assist the people with disabilities having a wonderful place to live and to expand on what they could do in their community and their life. I have really enjoyed working with my fellow workers in this endeavor.
I find Lutheran Social Service to be a excellent employer and very caring about the people they hire.
Pros
There are a variety of jobs to fit everyone
Cons
Perhaps not always being able to take off when you would like
my thoughts
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Little Falls, MNJuly 3, 2017
I like this company a lot. It has opened my eyes to many different ways of life such as care for different types of mentally ill or disables individuals. It has also changed my way eating habits. I think it would be better if more people worked here, but over all it is a good company and I enjoy working here. My typical day is always different. Depending on the house I work at. It may be the same routine but it still different everyday that I work. You never know what is going to happen good or bad. The hardest part is with not having enough staff I work a lot but I don't mind it at all. I just wish I could work at the other house I am trained at more but over all I like the house I work at now. I really enjoy helping the individuals. They make me want to come back every day.
Pros
the individuals are awesome.
Cons
short staffed.
Good place to work, great company to work for.
DSP (Current Employee) –  Little Falls, MNJune 29, 2017
I've enjoyed the years I have been with LSS, I have had the best Supervisors, who have always been there to help if there is a problem and also pat you on the back for a job well done. The people I work with show how much they appreciate me, and I like that we always have the necessary trainings to keep us updated and refresh our memories.
Pros
comfortable work enviroment, nice co-workers
Cons
work to much
Found my dream job
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Moorhead, MNJune 1, 2017
I just so happened to know someone who encouraged me to apply for a position with this company. I am so happy that I did because it did not take long to feel right at home! This job is perfect for those who like to please others. It gives you opportunity to get to literally feel at home while at work, and who doesn't want that! This position takes someone who can show patience and understanding. You really need to always strive to put your best foot forward to help the people we support truly strive in life. This position is amazing and I joke frequently about how I will still be here where I am "old". Two thumbs up!
My thoughts on my career.
House Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baxter, MNMay 31, 2017
I never thought I would enjoy doing the this line of work. I have always done retail or restaurant types of jobs. My first day here I told my husband there is no way that I can do this. That was 5 1/2 yrs. ago and I am now a house coordinator at one of the homes. My career here is amazing. I get the privilege to support some fantastic people with their daily living. I also get the pleasure to do all the fun stuff with them such as fishing, day trips, picnics in the beautiful central Minnesota, camps, sports events and so much more. I feel our management team is amazing! They are there when you need them and are extremely supportive. In order to succeed in this type of atmosphere you must have compassion for others and I feel my management team has that! They are leaders not just our bosses.
Pros
Flexability, co-workers, Pto, the people supported and activities.
Accomodating workplace with Great People.
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  MNMay 31, 2017
Never have I worked with a team that is so caring, helpful, and passionate. Management always has your back and tries to help whenever and wherever they can. Our work is not easy, but the people we serve, and who we work with makes everything worth it.
great with their services
House Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNMay 31, 2017
Having recently been under re-structuring, LSS has made great strides in the services that they provide for the individuals in their care. The training brings quality to the care the individuals receive. The addition of House Coordinators give the DSPs another avenue to approach with problems or concerns. The houses are geared toward the individuals and the staff are chosen as to what they bring. The environment is friendly and yet professional.
Pros
care given to the individuals
Cons
lack of staff
Working at Lutheran Social Services
House Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Virginia, MNMay 31, 2017
This job has brought a whole new life perspective to my eyes, I started as a DSP and moved up quickly to a house coordinator. Supporting individuals with disabilities is so rewarding, the smiles and goals they achieve with you by their side, the support you give helping with day to day tasks, the relationship and trust that grows. I had not worked in this field prior to coming to Lutheran Social Services. I will admit it was a little challenging and scary at first but the rewards have won my heart and gave me the passion for this job.
Pros
Rewarding work, flexability when full staffed, Great training Programs, Fun environment.
Cons
Short staff effects the individuals we support and also the employees.
Committed to its employees
Personal Support Services (Current Employee) –  StatewideMay 31, 2017
LSS of MN is an amazing place to work if you enjoy meaningful work that helps others be the best they can be. My supervisor provides regular, helpful feedback to enhance the work I do. My schedule is very flexible and meets my family's needs while not interfering with the lives of the people I support. LSS benefits, by comparison to other organizations, is excellent and meets my family's needs. The people I support are the focus of all the work I do and helping them create great lives for themselves is the best part of my job. The organization makes me feel important by recognizing and celebrating my achievements and milestones. I couldn't imagine working anywhere else!
Pros
Flexible, growth, competitive wages, meaningful
Person Centered Values
Designated Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fosston, MNMay 10, 2017
This is the most person centered organization that I've ever worked at. They really focus on the individual served and let them make choices in their life. This has helped many people grow and succeed in community integration.

My management encourages us to have our 7 F's balanced. Fun, Future, Family , Finance, Faith, Fitness, Friends. It's up to us to arrange the schedule we need to do this. We have a "Alive" work place, for fun at work, but all in all the work we do is very meaningful to us. We work as a team to accomplish our PATH. We all have performance goals we work on, we can achieve merit raises each year for working on these and keeping our performance up there.

Sure we are busy with all the 245D regulations, and ensuring peoples preferences, health, and safety are being met. We are always given opportunity to seek out tools or resources that help us do efficiently as possible. Meetings and training are there to support us to stay in compliance and problem solve together. We really want to support people in all areas of life. We don't just focus on one area.
Pros
Great current leadership team, bennifits, meaningful work
Cons
Hard to frontline staff in small community
Productive work place
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 15, 2017
Working with people with disabilities is not easy you have to passion about it. Caring for someone with a disability. Getting them in everyday society. Taking them shopping, doctors appointment etc.
Never worked for a company Like LSS before
Direct Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNMarch 15, 2017
Before working for LSS, my idea of a group home settings was basically a paid baby sitter. Which I hated. I didn't want to sit someone in front of a TV and walk away.
Working here changed my idea of what a group home setting can be.

LSS goes Above and Beyond to bring the people we support into the community and have a voice that says "Hey, We're Here!". And in a setting where we constantly encourage independence, it constantly fills me with pride when we achieve a goal that has never been met before.

Lutheran Social Services has been a great company to work for. The pay is better than most and Corporate is working on getting us higher wages through political representation and actions. Management has never made me feel as though I'm just a grunt worker. The corporate side is always interested in our feed back and is continuously encouraging a fun atmosphere.

The Hardest part of my job is thinking of new ways or ideas to encourage independence. But with new stories of other peoples accomplishments we never lack encouragement to keep trying.
Pros
Flexable schedule, decent health care pckage with opportunities to lower premiumsa
Cons
getting the tools we need can be a process but isn't impossible, Increased Back and Spine injury Risk
A great company
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Fosston, MNMarch 8, 2017
Lss is a great company to work for. Very flexible with hours and they understand family time is important. Great bosses, they appreciate the work their employees do. Overall great company to work for.
Pros
Flexibility, understanding, great atmosphere
Fun, positive and supporitve coworkers
Personal Support Services (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNMarch 6, 2017
Lutheran Social Service of MN is a great company to work for! Compared to other jobs I've had in the past, I have never felt so appreciated for the work that I do. It's a very positive and fun work environment, and all my coworkers are so helpful and really go out of their way to be supportive of each other.

I highly recommend anyone who enjoys helping support others in their dreams and reaching their goals to apply at Lutheran Social Service. No matter what position you hold within the company, you can so easily make a positive impact on the lives of others. It's truly rewarding.
If You Enjoy Working By Yourself, This is the Job for You.
Senior Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 27, 2017
The hours within this job were rough, providing little free time for employees. Management expressed very little gratitude for those who go above and beyond the call of duty. The position required very little training and/or education, which was concerning to me, being that you are taking care of mentally ill, homeless adolescents. There were no strict guidelines put into place when it comes to staffing and maintaining professional boundaries.
Great place to work!
NA (Current Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNDecember 24, 2016
I love working for LSS! My manager is so understanding and helpful. Scheduling is so flexible and they definitely allow time for personal time off. Great benefits and everyone who works here is so nice and approachable even the CEO. The pay is decent and some room for advancement.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not a lot of room for advancement
Motivation and hard work is the key to success
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNDecember 10, 2016
I love what i do and i get along with my coworkers pretty good. Am very motivated and most liked by everyone at every job because of my work, i take my job very seriously and am a very hard worker. Most of the job jobs i've had so far i have been the lead and most of my coworkers look upto me. The most pay i got at my jobs was $19 an hour but if i get hired here, ill settle for $16 and up.
benefits
Cons
Na
Good company that is Person-Centered
Director of Personal Support Services (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNDecember 3, 2016
Management is excellent. They provide a good working environment. Company has a solid reputation. We live by Fish Philosophy, ALIVE workplace, and improving the lives of the individuals we support.

Direct support staff are caring, responsible, and detail orientated. Some of the best and funniest people I have ever worked with. Our #1 motto at work is TO HAVE FUN! It is fun to see individuals hopes and dreams come true every day..
Pros
Flexible schedule
Good schedule
Direct Support Professional and House Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Adams, MNNovember 28, 2016
I feel it's a good place to work due to training was great, co worker are reliable . Schedule was customized for the personal needs it's family orientated. Involved with communities
Pros
Good people
Cons
Working to many hours
great working environment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 23, 2016
typically working in a group home. Taking care of individuals. lead them to outdoor activities. Manage their life to be colorful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota Reviews by Location