Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota

Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Good company that is Person-Centered
Director of Personal Support Services (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNDecember 3, 2016
Management is excellent. They provide a good working environment. Company has a solid reputation. We live by Fish Philosophy, ALIVE workplace, and improving the lives of the individuals we support.

Direct support staff are caring, responsible, and detail orientated. Some of the best and funniest people I have ever worked with. Our #1 motto at work is TO HAVE FUN! It is fun to see individuals hopes and dreams come true every day..
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
independent work, supervision is minimal
Senior Cook (Current Employee) –  Fulda, MNSeptember 28, 2016
Working at the Fulda Senior Center is great for self starters. The work day is short at 5.5 hours a day so there is plenty of time off. You earn P.T.O. as you work which is great.
Pros
No weekends, no major holidays, and short workdays
Cons
breaks depend on menu, some very small meal days
Good schedule
Direct Support Professional and House Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Adams, MNNovember 28, 2016
I feel it's a good place to work due to training was great, co worker are reliable . Schedule was customized for the personal needs it's family orientated. Involved with communities
Pros
Good people
Cons
Working to many hours
great working environment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 23, 2016
typically working in a group home. Taking care of individuals. lead them to outdoor activities. Manage their life to be colorful.
Great independent work
SR REFUGEE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 9, 2016
It has Good people to work with and humble supervisor. Easy job to do and getting more experience in different areas that is lovable.
LSS is great!
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 6, 2016
LSS does wonderful things for people. Co-workers are great! Very flexible with scheduling. Pay is not the best and benefits are expensive though.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
Dsp
Dietary nutritionist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 22, 2016
Provide care for people living with mental and or developmental dissabilities.
Pass medication
CPR first aid certified
Great Work done by Agency
Designated Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNMay 1, 2015
This agency does remarkable work for people who live with disabilities ranging from Developmental Disabilities to Traumatic Brain Injuries.
The culture is focused on the God's word and Jesus Christ. The agencies Mission statement and Vision include the work of Jesus Christ and focus on the people they support.
My typical day was to run the day-to-day operations of an Adult Foster Care group home for people who live with Traumatic Brain Injuries, post-therapy (2 years).
I enjoyed all of my coworkers, and especially my supervisor. There was a synergy of progress inside the agency that promoted the Person Centered Philosophy.
Good people to work with
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, mnJune 23, 2015
I enjoy the people I work with and the work they do to help people in need. We take incoming calls from our clients who are looking to schedule appointments. We also change appointments and send out packets to customers. We also do a wide variety of office tasks.
Pros
Great Team
Great work/life balance; Poor management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 25, 2015
Like many other nonprofit organizations, LSS excels at allowing its employees a flexible schedule. This was especially helpful for workers who had children or other obligations outside of work. On the downside, management was very poor. The agency is behind on addressing racism in the workplace. I witnessed a number of employees of color resign from their positions due to the poor work atmosphere (managers using racial slurs, stereotyping clients who were poor, etc). If they can get a handle on the discrimination stuff, it'd be a really great place to work.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Ideal location, good access to training
Cons
Unaddressed racism/discrimination, unskilled management
Great Place to Work
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 23, 2015
If you want to make a difference in people's lives this is the place. It is tough with the salary though. Love the people and environment.
Fun
Brain Injury Support Personal (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNJuly 11, 2014
Assist individual with their adls. Its cool because you can take the residents out for community activities, to the movies, out to eat and get reimbursed for any money you spend I think that would be the best part of the job. the hardest part of the job i guess would be when nobody is around to help when you need it. Where I worked my supervisor wasn't the best but she was nice though but not the best. most of my co-workers were cool maybe 1 or 2 were lazy, always on the phone and practicing their religion in the house which was really annoying and some residents didn't like that but i think it was cultural differences some anyway.
Pros
reimbursement for outings, create your own schedule.
Cons
they try not to hire full time 40hrs wk so no benefits.
Great learning experience!
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 8, 2013
Long story short, It was a great learning experience. Being there and telling people to practice better eating habits and educating them on ways to lower their blood pressure was a great feeling. The questions, comments they had, gave you a since of importance and guidance, as if they were looking at you for ways to help them live a better, healthier life. Also, serving the community and helping those in needs is always a God given experience!
Pros
Cons
Temporary
As a part-time employee of LSS, I find it to be a quality company with an excellent reputation in social service.
Direct Support Professional (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 20, 2013
As a part-time direct support professional in a group home setting, LSS provides me with comprehensive training specific to the care of developmentally disabled adults on a continuing basis. The company rewards excellence in performance with an increase in pay. Supporting developmentally disabled adults requires patience and understanding and can be personally rewarding.
Rewarding opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others
Admin Support (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MN, State Center Administrative OfficesNovember 2, 2012
I've been with LSS of MN for over 6 years now and consider myself lucky to get up every morning and love what I do! LSS of MN is a great employer for a variety of reasons, they promote frmo within, they are supportive of employee learning, growth, and individual development. They offer a work life balance which allows for flexibility with time off and scheduling. And you get to work with others who are compassionate and competent. I'd recommend LSS of MN to anyone who wanted to listen!
Pros
a lot of room to grow, people who invest in your success, a feeling that you're making a difference to those who really need it, flexible work environment, culture of encouragement from teammates and supervisors
Cons
not paid as much as i would if i went elsewhere, but it's a balance that is outweighed by the flexibility i receive.
Unethical behaviors
Designated coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn ParkDecember 4, 2014
The company lacks consistent group home monitoring by their mid level management . Staff are signing into work for one another and not being present at work.
Pros
No supervisor after 5pm.
Cons
lack of supervisor support.
Very rewarding occupation
DSP (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 20, 2013
LSS of Minnesota was and is one of the most rewarding and fullfilling
work assignments i have had the oppurtunity to experience!
Pros
The Individuals we care for and the flexibility of unit designation and scheduling
Cons
No Insurance/Benefits

Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota Reviews by Location