Lutheran Social Services of Illinois

Lutheran Social Services of Illinois Employee Reviews

Case Aide/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2017
Great supervisor and plenty of work hours, and great opportunity to learn your field. Had a good teacher in the job place to show me how to become an effective counselor and case manager. Learned tons about getting along with other professional staffers, and learned that every client presenting to treatment doesn't necessarily want services being offered.
Pros
learn how to counsel clients.
Cons
employees bicker too much to management about nothing.
Great Co-Workers
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 21, 2017
Co-workers and supervisors are supportive. poor upper management and depending on position a definite feeling of "otherness" from the rest of the workers. They place a higher value on caseworkers than on any of their support staff, and this is blatantly and glaringly obvious. No advancement opportunities.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJuly 31, 2017
Great place to work. People are nice. Pay is not that great because it's a non for profit social service agency. Family oriented, limited room for advancement.
Cares for participants
Case Aide/Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2017
If you are looking for a job with overtime and benefits this is the job for you. They have plenty of hours for you to pick up. The working environment is also competitive.
manager made unreasonable ever changing demands
Williams Consent Decree Assessor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2017
manager made unreasonable ever changing demands, certain staff were held to certain standards, wile others were held to others. when questioned supervisor reported that not every staff was the same and had to be treated differently. she had a lot of candles in her office and didn't wear shoes.
Great intentions, poor management.
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Savoy, ILJune 26, 2017
I started as an intern at LSS - and had no idea what I was doing when hired. The program director and supervisor are close and so they always talk about cases, mostly in a negative way. There was always a lot of cussing in the office and it felt like all of the workers were walking on eggshells with the two upper management people mentioned. All of the CWS's turned to each other for questions instead of going to the supervisor because she was rarely any help. For instance, the very first court hearing I went to and testified at, my supervisor didnt show up. I had only been the caseworker for two weeks and the supervisor was required to be there.... I got thrown under the bus and didnt even know it yet. My supervisor not showing up wasn't just a one time thing - I quickly recognized that this was a trend for her. She didnt seem to care about any of my clients or the care that they received. She never gave me straight answers when I asked what to do in a certain situations or how to proceed with a case - and I was the one who suffered in Court because of it. To top it all off, at 9 months, I had seniority - because there is so much staff turnover every year. I talked to the program director about an Adoption Specialist position and she reaffirmed that I had seniority and would be the first one moved to that position after training. About two weeks later, another worker had moved into the "adoption office" because she was offered that position. I felt like the program director lied to my face and didnt trust her anymore. This is when I put in my two weeks. The office dynamic  more... in this particular LSS is horrible.  less
Pros
Plenty of vacation time: two days every two weeks.
Cons
Always working overtime with stingy acceptance for OT pay.
pay increases have been slow or non existent over the last 13 years
Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 14, 2017
a typical work day at LSSI can be fast paced and stressful but with management support it can be handled successfully with the caseworkers and the business dept to work all things out for the good of the clients. I've learned that things can change at any time without notice and flexibility is a good trait to have in this position. The hardest part of the job is that you give your all but feel we are not shown appreciation of our dedication through proper compensation/raises which makes staying dedicated difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing what we do here is necessary for the good of the children/families. Keeping hope in our hearts that our efforts might just save one family at a time.
Pros
5 weeks vacation at time of hire
Cons
no yearly raises or raises related to yearly reviews
Great place, poor pay
Cws (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJune 13, 2017
If they paid what state workers get paid for the exact same job I would never leave. Instead it is about half or less! They care about their work and about children. They also want employees to have adequate support.
was only part time employ
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJune 5, 2017
since i worked part time its hard to review the company to any great extent. the staff are wonderful to work with, the corporate mangement however was not so nice.
Pros
great people
Cons
corporate attitudes from corporate
good place to work
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 26, 2017
The people here seem to actually care about the community that it serves. From the detox unit to the 30 day program and even the women's residency all served and cared for the people.
great for recent grad
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2017
Lots of work. Organization and time management skills are key. Deadlines have to be met. Working with kids in the best. Things change often and funding is always in jeopardy.
Pros
most of the staff are helpful
Cons
lots of work
Wonderful and dedicated employees
Clinical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILMay 20, 2017
The employees were wonderful to work with. Seemed to be no way to get an increase in salary. In the 3 years I worked there I did not see a pay raise. I worked with social workers that were great case managers. Seeing improvements in the children's lives made this job all worth while.
Little to no support
Accountant (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 12, 2017
You're on your own. Everyday the rules change, and there is no accountability. There is not a path to career development or advancement. Pay increases do not exist, hard work, dedication, and loyalty are not rewarded.
Pros
Lack of clear communication, inadequate training, no accountability
Cons
Flexible work schedule
Interesting experience
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2017
It was an amazing opportunity and it was a blessing to have met wonderful people. It was excellent as a beginning social work major to be able to start my career at a location who would be able to value all that I can bring to the table
Pros
chidlren, paretns, small setting at the site, vacation time accumulates
Cons
Pay, hours, some co-workers, far from home
Productive and fun workplace
Master Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILFebruary 14, 2017
The hours are flexible. Supervisors provide manageable case load. This job requires a lot of travel. Great working experience. This is a great place to start your career. This agency is a great agency.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Great company to work for
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJanuary 26, 2017
This is a great company to work for. The staff size in the corporate office was just right; not too big or small. You could get to know just about everyone in the office. Management was great, respectful and easy to communicate with. I love the support that this company provides to the community.
Pros
They promoted within and really seem to offer opportunities regardless of race or gender.
Cons
I was not happy with my 401K package
Lutheran Social Services good place to learning and work.
Home Care Assistance II (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJanuary 6, 2017
A typical work day with Lutheran Social Services, was learning
something new all the time. What I learned being flexible and
adaptable has rewarding experience. Management work with
you through difficult times, and co-workers enjoyed each other
company during meetings. The hardest part of the job was
the merge transition, and most enjoyable part of the job was
coming together with the staff and meeting new clients.
Pros
The staff meetings/company gathering
Cons
Advancement vey slow
Very flexible workplace.
Office Manager/Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Nachusa, IllinoisOctober 13, 2016
Flexibility in the workplace and value on family needs. Small office makes it difficult to advance. Company culture changing to put emphasis on employee buy in and team work.
Senior Housing
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 6, 2016
Working with residents is great but if you over step your bounds, according to Housing Director, you're in the wrong. You can't help a resident with a simple problem when they're upset you're suppose to send them to Social Service Coordinator. If a resident is in need of medical attention you can't help them, Senior Director is overly strict, goes by the book, very loud and only listens to one side of an employee complaint.
Pros
Training is good, good company to work for
Cons
Pay is very low, raises are sporadic, medical benefits are expensive, no advancement in the company, certain Directors are unfair, too much travel for meetings that can be done via conference call
multi-task orient position
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILAugust 29, 2016
Great people to work with yet hectic work schedule which made having a life at home very difficult. The pay was not worth the time and emotion you put into the job. However, the 3+weeks paid vacation and the making your own schedule and being able to work from home at times helped with balancing out the busyness of the job. The hardest part of the job is feeling like you will never catch up on your work and there seemed to always be something that is more important to suddenly do then the things you had on your to do list from three days ago. Felt like you never had to time to get certain things done.
Pros
The people you with. Paid vacation time.
Cons
Never enough hours in the day to get work done. Long work hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8