Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, Inc.

Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, Inc. Employee Reviews

No support-hard work-fostercare and domestic violence clients.
Therapist-PAIP-Domestic Violence (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 5, 2018
Lutheran was a mess and always in crisis mode. It stems from operational management and job duties and clientele are tough enough -given no support and terminated by company.
Pros
Good Domestic Violence Program.
Cons
Management and support-no clerical or medical records.
Productive Professional Employees
Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJanuary 30, 2018
I enjoyed working providing one-on-one support and encouragement working with the teenage adolescence with emotional behaviors due to abuse and neglect.
Fun, rewarding and challenging opportunity
IRIS Consultant (Current Employee) –  Northeast WIDecember 11, 2017
I really like working for Lutheran Social Services-Connections. The participants are amazing and fun to help! The management style is a flat management and it seems to really work. Connections doesn’t have a whole lot of turnover. The IRIS Consultants take turns facilitating team meetings. There are a lot of opportunities for growth. There are opportunities to attend trainings and to “Connect” with other agencies. Being able to participate in various roles is fun, exciting and challenging. The employees are treated well and respectfully and their opinions, concerns and ideas are listened to.
Pros
meet amazing people, work from home, collaborate with other team members
Cons
travel can sometimes be a con - but this is an area that is improving
Wonderful place to work
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIOctober 31, 2017
I love and enjoy working at LSS. My co workers are wonderful and very helpful. I have only been with the company for 4 months but i have learned alot. I have always wanted to do this type of work. I have a passion for helping people and always see the good in everyone. I am proud to be an LSS employee.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Pay could be a little better
Team atmosphere
IRIS Consultant Team Manager/IRIS Consultant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 26, 2017
Employees at LSS are respected by all levels within the company. Training is offered on a regular and consistent basis so all team members feel prepared for the work they are responsible for. The culture is relaxed and casual, yet all are motivated to be productive and meet goals and deadlines because of consistent encouragement and support in completing tasks. All team members are empowered to be their best self and to gain professional experience and knowledge, whether they are interested in remaining in current position or advancing. All employees have a voice and are encouraged to share thoughts and ideas, which is a refreshing change of pace and promotes an environment of creativity and brainstorming.
Pros
management is encouraging and motivating, work culture is calm and productive, team is culturally diverse
Cons
location of Milwaukee office building is beautiful, but requires going through downtown traffic for many employees, which can be a challenge in rush hour traffic
Poor Management and Atmosphere
1st Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIAugust 29, 2017
The turn over rate was substantially high at this location, which mandated that supervisors work 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift to cover when no one else was available. As a result, the supervisor was expected to complete the supervisor tasks as well as the tasks of the shift they were covering, which was impossible.
Official response from Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, Inc.
September 5, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at LSS. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact (800) 488-5181 and ask for the Director of Human Capital.

Overworked
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 10, 2017
This seems to be a good place to start but wouldn't recommend being there for too long with the high employee turnover and the positions being never filled it is the main employees who are there which ends being stuck with more work without any notice or pay raises.
Pros
work events can be nice, health insurance, dental insurance, and PTO/Sicktime
Cons
The overall culture of the business.
July 17, 2017

September 5, 2017

Contract independent workplace. Create your own schedule
Family and Community Specialist (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 1, 2017
Excellent place to work for. Ability to work independently and not feel micro-managed. Hired to do work and trusted to complete it without pressure. Ability to schedule office hours and client contact interchangeably according to your needs.
Pros
Total independence
Cons
dependant on grant funding
Expereince only/temp job until you find something better
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 18, 2017
Working for LSS can be a stepping stone to get experience if you don't have any experience. My co-workers work great as a team and my position is flexible. The job is very challenging and stressful with low pay for case management/consultant work. The training is nonexistent. They give you a case load without training you on what you should be trained on. You have many, many, many trainings but oddly not on the things that you need to be productive as a worker. LSS has a lot of unnecessary busy work, UNNECESSARY TEAM BUILDING meetings and that adds more duties to your already full day. If you have experience run far, far away. The only plus for this job is the flexibility but you will find yourself working everyday to catch up or do tons of administrative work because LSS doesn't have support workers to assistance their consultants like other agencies. Upper Management doesn't have a background in the field or degree. Which shows when difficult situations happen. They handout jobs to friends and hand pick individuals who aren't the most qualified for the positions. If they didn't have the flexible schedule their consultants wouldn't stay as long as they do.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Upper/Management positions are given to friends and unqualified people
April 24, 2017

Please contact your HC representative. We would love to be able to address your concerns.

Overall stressful place to work
Unlicensed Therapist (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIApril 11, 2017
Clients were hard to work with purely because they are in a consistent mode of crisis. my direct supervisor was amazing! Best supervisor I've ever had. Pay was very little for the amount of stress you occur daily and expected work load. Helpful to get therapy in-training supervision hours. This was one of the few benefits of working here. Overall, it was extremely stressful working here and my director supervisor always treated me with respect, however HR is the absolute worst. If they don't like you or something you have done as an employee they'll do everything they can to fire you. HR was terrible and this is why you should not work here!
Pros
Flexible schedule somewhat
Cons
Human Resources (human capital) is horrible
April 24, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. LSS operates with very clear employment practices and policies. In addition, all LSS employees are expected to exercise the organization’s core values which include valuing the infinite worth of each individual. If you feel that you were not treated appropriately by a member of the Human Capital Team, you can contact the Director of Human Capital at (800) 488-5181.

Fun work place but long hours
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIApril 3, 2017
Client's are awesome and some co-workers make your job easier. Management is horrible and they only care about their jobs. They don't pay you enough for what you have to work. They will not help out with shifts because they are salary and expect everyone else to do it. The client's can make the environment fun and enjoyable to be at work. Long hours.
Pros
Cleints
Cons
Long hours, not paid well, supervisors only care about themselves
April 10, 2017

We always want our staff to have a positive experience. Please reach out to Human Capital to discuss your concerns.

Poor management and low pay.
Family and community specialist (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 17, 2017
Horrible management and work culture. In addition, low pay and poor benefits. Not a place I would ever want to work again. There are plenty of other companies that treat their employees with respect.
April 24, 2017

They shouldnt be in business
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Black River Falls, WIJanuary 22, 2017
I would arrive at my scheduled shift and would finish laundry and start making supper, while I was making supper I would start getting clients up from their naps, I have learned that during my year employed there that they do not care much for their employees, or their clients.
The hardest part of my job was making sure that the clients were taking care of and dealing with the supervisor favoring other employees and letting them get away with everything.
I really enjoyed working there because of the clients. I would never change a thing about them.
Pros
clients
Cons
management, supervisor and other employees
Great place to work for those hust starting out in healthcare.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJanuary 10, 2017
Great place to work because of the clients and co-workers. Constantly understaffed because of the low wage for the job duties. Very heavy (but fun) work, but should be getting paid area average of at least 12/hour instead of 10.00. Rarely are there ever wage increases or room for advancement.
Pros
No holidays and weekends. Laid back, but busy.
Cons
Low pay for job duties, no advancement.
flexibility great/ low pay
Family and Community Professional (Former Employee) –  Prairie du Chien, WIJanuary 7, 2017
LSS gave me the great option Of being able to make my own schedule and at times work from home. My supervisor before she left to pursue a different position for better pay and benefits was great at being available and answered my questions when needed. Hardest part of this position for me was working into the evening and driving at times 2 hours one way to see a client. Winter driving was not good and preferred not to do it but was required to meet the job requirements. Pay wasn't what it should be for the responsibility of the position and the mileage reimbursement was low as well.
Pros
Flexible schedule and able to work at home sometimes
Cons
Driving, low pay for the work
Very supportive work environment
Support and Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WINovember 10, 2016
A great place to work. I would have loved to been able to stay, but the program I was working in ended. I would recommend LSS to anyone interested in working with any of their programs.
Manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIOctober 18, 2016
Flexible, focused on programs that helped individuals, variety of programs in all areas, co-workers were great, day varied
Best work environment ever!!
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 3, 2016
LSS is without question the best workplace environment that I have ever experienced. From the highest levels of management on down there is positive energy and spirit that is infectious (in a good way)!
In general, the workforce is comprised of dedicated employees who, with rare exception, are all pulling in the same direction; that is, to provide the best possible services to our clients and each other. The environment is nurturing and compassionate. Work/life balance is encouraged and supported.
Pros
The LSS culture is purposeful and morally and ethically sound, A refreshing change from the Corporate America grind, I am so proud to be an employee of this organization.
Cons
LSS is a not-for-profit organization; consequently the monetary compensation scale lags the market, The pros of the organization do alot to make up for that.
Great Environment & Work life balance
Business Services (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 1, 2016
Great work environment, friendly and helpful team members, the opportunity to work with mission focused colleagues who truly care about the people we serve and improving the quality of their lives.
Flexible, Compassionate and Supported Workplace
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 31, 2016
Overall Good place to work. If your seeking a challenging, yet rewarding workplace LSS is the place for you. Coming from the Corporate America environment to LSS, a large nonprofit, I was immediately shocked by the level of praise and recognition from management, staff and leaders. Staff are recognized for their efforts and leaders know you by first name. The Agency offers competitive salaries and a flexible work environment. Suggestions for areas of improvement and innovation are addressed quickly.
Pros
Compassionate staff and quick response rate from leaders
Cons
Staff are spaced out and offer few opportunites for all employee events/ networking.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.