Lutheran Social Services of the South Employee Reviews

Stressful job
Worker (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 9, 2017
It's great to work with kids from different culture. There are times that the kids miss behave and don't listen to staff. What is stressful about the job is not working with the kids but more with management. The company doesn't cooperate with you in any way. For example, if you're having trouble with a certain staff or supervisor and you go to higher management, they won't be able to help you. Basically you feel you have to deal with it and that's it. If you have questions about your benefits or paycheck, forget talking to HR you'll never find that person even if you try to make an appointment. They do have favoritism and it's bad. You feel like you're in highschool again, with bunch of drama and if you're not with the "cool" group, you'll feel like you're being attack. Also, some staff gets away with many things, part of the favoritism, like: coming in late, use their phone during work hours, talk unprofessional to other staff or residents, and the list can go on and on. Again, management knows about this and they won't do anything about it.
Pros
Working with kids.
Cons
Management is unprofessional. Catering is bad. Bad working environment.
It was an in-depth experience on the Foster Care System
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 12, 2016
The typical day can only be viewed as having 6 children of your own, all between the ages of 12 and 17, with very ingrained family issues. I learned the foster care system is far from being able to benefit the children under its care with a suitable psycho-therapeutic atmosphere. You only see 'co-workers' (other foster parents) at monthly agency meetings, and everyone is different on how they 'treat' the children assigned to them. The hardest part of the job is trying to make the children understand that there are good benefits waiting for them if they finish their term in foster care. The most enjoyable part is seeing one of your kids, make it through the system, and make a good life for themselves.
Pros
Being able to help adolescents emotionally and intellectually
Cons
Seeing so many kids fall through the cracks.
Utilized my classroom management and curriculum development skills
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TexasJune 27, 2015
I enjoyed working with the students everyday that I have worked there. I was there on my own for approximately 4 months, after that I was declared the lead teacher and interviewed applicants for two more teaching positions. I taught the students the basics in English and Language skills. Many of the students were monolingual.
Pros
I would follow my own curriculum.
Cons
Many employees there were very disrespectful.
Lutheran Social Services Review
Administrative /Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJanuary 9, 2015
It was a stable work environment. I loved my job. A typical day was getting there at 8am and updated our census and reviewing matrices. I learned to work with all types of personalities and obtained so much knowledge on foster care and adoption and the lives the children lived. Management was wonderful. She was fairly new when i left but was always willing to work as a team. my co workers were amazing. They always put in their part and worked really hard. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting a chance to help the organization recruit more foster families and giving homes to more children in need.
Pros
Endless trainings on various crucial topics
Cons
Training attendance by foster parents
a great experience that I believe in
Medicaid Coordinator / Children's Clothing Buyer (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXNovember 2, 2014
Daily I keep up with the census for State information, code and bill for the therapists, check in on the staff on the floor to see if kids need clothing, balance the checkbook, and anything else that needs to be done.
I learned more about State laws with RTC's and the pharmacy side of kids with a Axis 1 diagnoses.
I enjoy almost all of my co workers and those that I don't, we are co-workers not family so its ok.
The hardest part of my job has been learning the NSLP money side to the checkbook.
I enjoy my job very much, it is great to see a CPS kid leave successful and return to a foster home and move forward.
Helping children.
Regional Director (Former Employee) –  San AntoinoAugust 18, 2014
Good mission, long hours and on call weekends. Working to provide safe environment for children.
Self employed contractor
Therapeutic Foster Care Services Parent (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 16, 2014
Self employed contractor, as a foster parent. Worked with Lutheran Social Services to plan and apply activities and constructive guidance to meet the emotional, bodily, intellectual and social needs of children and residents in care.
Productive Enviroment
Medicaid/Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katy, TexasDecember 9, 2013
Very diverse company with room to grow. Bible based treatment center for adolescence. With a great employee dynamic.
Most of the people employed there are helpful and cordial.
Receptionist/Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXApril 10, 2013
Overall, a nice place to work in keeping with the goal in mind of helping troubled youths.
Pros
free health insurance and reduced lunches
Cons
high stress level
Great Place
Disaster Case Manager Supervisor (05'-08 (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 17, 2012
I had the opportunity to work with LSS during the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.
During my breif tenur the direction of the administration from the Austin Office was clear, reasonable, and professional in delivery.
I would absolutlely love to repeat that opportunity.
Pros
working lunches, health benefits, holidays
Cons
ended too soon

Want to know more about Lutheran Social Services of the South?

Ask a question
Great place to work for.
Statewide Clinical Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 21, 2012
Great, caring people. Awesome teamwork environment. They keep you busy.