Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Rewarding experience
Direct Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Andover, MADecember 27, 2015
Working with developmentally delayed individuals always gave me an inner satisfaction especially after teaching and watching them do things on their own.It was such a satisfying experience.
SO not worth it!
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, IADecember 22, 2015
Working at LSI has been nothing but a headache when it comes to management, supervision, and accountability. Overall my experience with my clients/families has been absolutely amazing. When interviewing I was told that my background is higher than my supervisor. I was also promised how secure the job was but now not even 6 months in having the job we are having funding minimized if not taken completely. Out insurance is horrid and is based on the healthcare act. Our PTO is used for holidays so we pay to have the holiday off. The company has also unjustly threatened me for my mileage form being smaller than others. They told me that if it happens again they would deny my forms. Looking at the form it is the operators problem of whoever is viewing the form not something I did. I did not get an apology so obviously the company is fine with pointing fingers and threating reimbursement denial than admitting their fault or issue of their own operation.
Pros
benifits are offered however they are horried. co workers are great.
Cons
pay. compsensation is poor. uniformed of the program is poor.
very rewarding job
direct care staff (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 7, 2015
My job experiences have always been very productive.
While in sales, I was always one of the top sellers and had multiple awards.
In my care of children and seniors, It was always very rewarding to be able to care for this persons and give them my full attention and support.
Useful experience
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 24, 2015
It was an amazing experience for me working with refugees and immigrants who came from different cultures and backgrounds.
I both learned and taught a lot of things through that volunteer mission.
I was always keen to share all what I gained from my past experiences with the stuff I worked with in order to create an interactive vocational atmosphere inside the institute I world for.
Pros
Free learning resources
Cons
Short breaks and early dismissle in case of emergencies
Productive and fun environment to work place with supportive management.
Substitute Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2015
Great company to work for. My job entails working side by side with the Head Teacher to promote children learning in a safe environment that allow student to learn, explore and be creative in their thinking while developing their skill.
Pros
Great benefit for full time staff and free lunch provide
Cons
May be require to work over schedule shift
The best thing about my job is helping others.
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Black River Falls, WINovember 14, 2015
It is a very fun close nit place to work. My staff and co-workers are always willing to go the extra mile to help each other.
Pros
Being able to help others
Cons
Healthcare costs
Don't care for employees
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IANovember 8, 2015
They dont care about the staff, they only care of money. They dont care about the safety of anyone. staff is treated as if they are replaceable.
A good place to work, but could benefit for more advocating for the clients.
Elder Abuse Investigator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2015
It's a good environment to work in because helping the seniors in the community is important and, we were able to advocate for them through the service we provided.
Pros
Pot lucks we did.
Cons
Stressful at times
excellent place to wor.
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 4, 2015
productive and fun working place. Dealing with people of diversity gives opportunity to learn more. Serving needy people and making difference in their life gives satisfaction of customer service.
Loved every second working with the kids
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNNovember 1, 2015
In the 8 years as a foster parent I had 51 children in my home and each and every one of them had a success story to take with them when they left. It was a 24/7 job but the rewards of being there were priceless.
Pros
Helping kids change their lives
Cons
Had to be committed fulltime with no days off
The job was challenging and interesting.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAOctober 30, 2015
Situations varied concerning a "typical" day, however I visited with children aged 5 to 17 and their families at their residence, providing brief health interventions concerning behavioral issues associated with mental health diagnosis. Clients met in the office at times. There was much training concerning conflict resolution and facilitating family meetings designed to focus on client behavioral and future life style goals.
I learned much: each person has strengths within them to meet issues, listening to clients often results in knowing underlying issues concerning challenges faced. Development of empathetic skills was cultivated as I progressed in the field.
Management was professional and readily worked with me to improve overall social work skills. An open door policy was maintained.
Coworkers were generally experienced in the field and readily offered suggestions concerning challenging client situations. During briefings and monthly staff meetings, ideas were freely shared as were positive critiques designed to encourage.
The greatest challenge faced was closing cases after the client's six-month time period concluded. Clients generally demonstrated challenges concerning change. At times, there was extreme angst, anxiety and depression displayed by clients as intervention drew to it's conclusion. This was not the case in all instances.
The nature of the job itself was thoroughly enjoyable. I enjoyed using creative skills, intelligence and empathy to facilitate a clients and family's increased daily biosocial functioning.
Pros
Daily personal growth, autonimy, occasional free meals and coffee, being surrounded by educated, compassionate individuals, the opportunity to develop referrals through public relations.
Cons
Client cancellations, postponements, running away, parental issues
Prodctive Employee
Technician I/Internship (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 25, 2015
I am an intrinsic person with leadership skills to enhance company objectives. I believe to achieve and I keep dreams alive to have success.
Pros
Enthusiasm
Cons
Agreements, which are ok if can be solved
Sour retching despair
Certified Child Welfare Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 23, 2015
This company has higher than average turn over of staff with most Case Managers averaging less than 1 year of experience. Exceptionally long hours, unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished in 40 hours with 30 or more kids on case load of case manager.

Unprofessional behavior from Management towards those under them.
Pros
Nice hourly pay
Cons
unable to have a life outside of work
cna
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  york paOctober 19, 2015
taking care of people in need , in all cases of life. Fun loving and great people to work with. I love to help some one through the tough times and watch them get better.
Pros
great people to work with you as a team
Cons
managment, and poor job security, the better u are the more your punnished for it.
Exceptional care
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  York, PAOctober 17, 2015
I learned how to deal with the difficulties the elderly face when in a home, and made friends with many of them. I was in charge of activities and transportation when needed
Pros
friendships, and experience
Cons
always busy
productive,fun,and positive energy workforce
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 4, 2015
•Attracts potential customers by answering product and service questions; suggesting information about other products and services.
• Opens customer accounts by recording account information.
• Maintains customer records by updating account information.
• Resolves product or service problems by clarifying the customer's complaint; determining the cause of the problem; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem; expediting correction or adjustment; following up to ensure resolution.
• Maintains financial accounts by processing customer adjustments.
Pros
good customer service, free meals
Cons
short hours
Advising clients with sensitivity
clerical assistant in the Senior Volunteer Program (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 3, 2015
Friendly, concerned for each other and fun
Continually upgrading and improving
Attentive to client needs
Reliable staff
Performance rewards
Cordial atmosphere
Pros
Recognize job performance
good company
Volunteer Resettlement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNSeptember 30, 2015
very well company, they help refugees when they come USA
these are what we do as a company and also more

Assisted in copying and filing documents appropriately.
• Assisted clients who needed transportation to and from health clinics, county offices, and/or social security offices.
• Assisted in completing MN Sure and CAF forms for clients.
• Ensured the cleanliness of the conference room and arranged items in the supply room.
• Ensured there are no missing documents in closed cases, and setup new files for new arrivals.
Just a job
MedCare Instructor (Former Employee) –  NCSeptember 25, 2015
I enjoyed this only taught class 3 times in a year. Class needed for foster parents review and RN required to teach. I enjoy teaching so it fit well, just a nice pay check not a permanent job.
faith-based non-profit
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 24, 2015
Passionate leadership driven by Lutheran values. Expertise in foster care, mental health services and refugee resettlement. Serves the entire state but primarily Omaha metro area.
Pros
dedicated leadership; faith-based mission
Cons
weak infrastructure (buildings, computers/networks, admin support) due to limited funds.