Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Co- workers where nice
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
I enjoyed working with the teachers in my class. We worked well together. The children interacted well with each other. Due to maximum paper work for the head teacher, the aid and I Interacted more with the children.
Pros
hour breaks
Cons
lack of communication with administration
fast pace work environment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJanuary 12, 2018
a typical day at work is running around answering call bells in a timely manner with everyone around you needing something; however my coworkers are always there to help each other out whenever needed. Lutheran tends to b extremely short staffed which makes it very difficult on aids and difficult on residents when they need help quickly. The hardest part about working there is the low staff, the most enjoyable part is everyone tries to help each other stay in a positive mood. I built a strong family working at Lutheran
Pros
Built friendships
Cons
Unfair pay, Short staff
Capable
Home Visitor (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 11, 2018
Good organization provides good services. First manger was exellent. Her replacement was offsite and micromanaged. There were no raises. No health or benefits other than sick and vacation time. Because of her management style. Office went thru everyone quitting.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
No benefits
Enjoyed working with the clients and staff
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIJanuary 10, 2018
Every day was different. I had the opportunity to learn more about hospice. Sometimes the hardest part of the job was having the proper amount of staff on hand for the number of clients.
Pros
Enjoyed the clients and learning oppourtunity
Cons
No lunch break
excellent
Unit manager/Caseworker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Some organizations are concerned with their social responsibility. They want to give something back to society and to operate with more transparency. These are proven ways to earn the trust of consumers. Some professionals even select employers based on their perceived social responsibility.
Pros
prodctivty
Cons
residents
Great Job
Certified Occupancy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 6, 2018
I loved working there the management was great. The team I worked with was close and always had each other's backs. I only left because I couldn't stand going into residents apartments with bedbugs and other issues.
Cons
Apartment Inspections
Loved all of the areas of support that I worked in
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  various locations in WisconsinJanuary 3, 2018
Loved the job I had working with individuals. Supportive environment. Never the same day twice. Staffing challenges were a tough part of the job but the individuals we supported made it all worth it. Relaxed environment.
rewarding work that requires patience
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  East Troy, WIDecember 29, 2017
If you have patience and have flexibility this is a good fit for you. Communication on the part of leadership can be unreliable. Expect daily challenges,but at the end of the day it is truly rewarding work.
Productive. Labor Work. Cleaning,cooking assist patient with there needs.
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Nogales, AZDecember 28, 2017
Being working one year with Lutherain Service. 7 years with Dependable Services and 2 years with Aristo Care. Caring for my mom. I believe it’s time to move on. Family member provides 24/7 hours of work. Lutherain is a great place to work. I’m very satisfied with all the company’s I worked for. I’m ready for a change. I’m interested in a bilingual receptionist. I enjoy computers and Office Work.
Pros
Enjoying my mother and family. Cooking for my family
Cons
Working to many hours.
Easy place to work
Summer Intern – Marketing/Engagement Department (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 28, 2017
Lutheran Social Services provides good internships for students during their summers. They easily accommodate summer schedules including vacation. Good mix of work there as well.
Productive and family/friendly workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PADecember 20, 2017
When I worked at the Lutheran Home a typical day for me is get there and check in with the charge nurse and get the download of the shift prior to mine. Then I would deliver towels to each resident in personal care and take there dirty towels to the laundry room. I would also do any bed changes that needed to be done. Then by the time I was doing that, it was time to get the residents down to the dining room for supper. I would then assist in the dining room until residents were done eating supper. After supper then I would have certain residents that needed assistance with showers and getting ready for bed so I would help assist with that. Once all of that was done and taken care of, I would then assist in answering call bells till the end of my shift.
Very motivating, refreshing opportunity to serve the community
Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 20, 2017
I enjoyed being able to help and serve the public, making a difference in the world. I was able to help bring clients in off the streets of Columbus, OHIO and offer them resources and the chance to have a new start at life.
Pros
Helping others and Paid time off
Cons
No breaks
management
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNDecember 19, 2017
Not the best, they didn't care about the workers that much they just wanted shifts filled but wouldn't give out enough hours to make enough money to survive on.
Clerical work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 11, 2017
I helped new immigrants with basic needs such as applying housing, food stamps, and jobs. I really enjoyed working at Lutheran social Services because the management team were very collaborative. I now volunteer at Lutheran Social Services for one day, and look forward to going to work because I love helping others who are in need.
Pros
change people lives.
Cons
alot of paper work.
Not enough staff to cover shift
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Little Falls, MNDecember 11, 2017
When I first starting working for LSS at great crew was in place. Slowly staff members finished schooling and moved on. Some retired. Most of the new staff did not have a good work ethic. On manager was two faced and the reason I quit.
Cons
Not a well managed organization
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2017
I was over worked and under paid and bullied by my immediate supervisors due to the color of my skin, and being significantly younger and more attractive than them. Please do not work here.
fun work place
Dining Services (Current Employee) –  Weldon Springs, MODecember 1, 2017
If you like to work with the elders you will love this place to work at. Very quit place and great people to work with. I love working 3 days a week. The only down fall of this job is the pay and the health insurance is expensive.
A Good Place to Work
House manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, MNDecember 1, 2017
Working at LSS was an enjoyable experience. I worked in this field for most of my career. I am looking for something different at this time just to find more benefits but other then that I would have stayed with this field of work.
Slow paced, But a lot of hard work.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 29, 2017
Lutheran Social Services had great relaxed slow paced work area.My supervisor taught me great working skills for not only there, but in future jobs as well.
Supervisors
Overnight youth counselor (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 29, 2017
The children and the job isn’t the stressful part of this job it’s the supervisor and other staff. They treat new staff poorly. They are not fair across the board with new and seasoned employees. Your not trained properly and too many people telling you differently on your job duties. The communication is very poor.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor supervisors, poor communication, poor interaction between employees and or supervisors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.