Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

abcd
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee), Rockwood/SouthgateJuly 24, 2015
Pros: abcd
Cons: abcd
The company was good on all fronts. The organization and reliability they showed were on par with any other group home environment I've ever worked in
Excellent Training Opportunity
FAMILY SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee), North Platte, NEJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Excellent Training Environment
Cons: Poor Management
This job entailed working with clients and their children who were involved with HHS and role modeling healthy living habits to the families. Report writing and team meetings were part of this job. Reporting to HHS if there is a problem with family dynamics was a very important part of this position.
Case Manager
Outreach Specialist/ Case Manager (Current Employee), AddisonJune 25, 2015
A typical day at work for me is varies from day to day. I supervise 3-6 staff on my unit. I provide structure and safety for kids I provide direct cares services for. I also attend all court hearings, IEP meetings, visits, ACR's, and staffing's just to name a few meetings I attend weekly. I also input a total of 10 hours of Medicaid (documentations that I am providing services to the client I work with) weekly. I'm also TCI and medication trained. I am very flexible and adopt to change very well. I love working in the social service field because I have a passion for helping others and seeing progress being made in any shape or form.
Enjoyable place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 22, 2015
The typical day was to go to the clients house and help them get dressed and prepared for the day. Then take them shopping or any other errand that they needed to run. The hardest part of the job was a lot of paperwork. I learned how to communicate with the mentally challenged more effectively. The most enjoyable part of my day was to see the clients happy with the way the day went. The smile on their faces when they went shopping or just got to leave the house.
Productive & Positive environment
Attendant Care Worker (Current Employee), Minot, NDJune 21, 2015
All in all I love working for this facility. Very Flexible, management is very understanding in all aspects. Working at this facility I've learned that being patient with the children can really help them keep calm while in the facility.
Very challenging
Child Care Counselor (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYJune 19, 2015
Pros: Making a difference in the youth's life
Cons: No breaks
Assist youth in following a structured program. I have learned that working with juveniles is very challenging and high risk. Management was very compassionate towards youth's needs. Most of the co-works were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was not knowing when a youth's behavior would get out of control, and staff's well being would be at risk. The most enjoyable part was being there to try and make a difference in the youth's lifes.
Great company...
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Glen Allen, VAJune 17, 2015
Enjoyable environment and great staff. The office is very laid back and quiet. No micromanaging, everyone helps out when problems arise.
Working for LSS was fun for me. I consider LSS my family.
Quality Assurance Director (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 16, 2015
Pros: Very friendly place to work
Cons: Medical Benefit changed over the years a lot of co-payments
I really enjoyed working for LSS. I loved the foster children, the foster parents and even the bio-parents. The hardest part of the job was when the visiting hour was over between the bio-parents and their children.

The fun part was when you got to see the children coming for their visit with their parents. They are always excited.

There is a lot of paperwork involved working in the QA Department. but i enjoyed it. I did it for so long. I really miss it.
A good company to work for
Home Care Assistant II (Current Employee), 10001 Touhy Avenue, Des Plaines ILJune 15, 2015
Pros: If you leave the company, they will alway rehire you, when standing are good
Cons: Would take a shorter lunch to complete all my tasks sometimes
1. A typical day at work, was being able to complete all my tasks
6. The most enjoyable part of the job. always meeting new people
and enjoying their company
Ideal for Human Services Entry Level Position
Child Care Worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 14, 2015
Pros: Paid Time Off, Co-Workers and Administrative Staff
Cons: Pay rates, Career Advancement
I'd been with the agency for a couple of years and had advanced from a Child Care Worker position to Middle Management. I have learned a great deal about myself as well as the impact trauma has on the youth we provide services for. Is this a rewarding position? It depends on whom you ask. I know several co-workers that love it for the fact that it is merely serving as a stepping-stone in their lives before they move onto something bigger and more important to them. I know of other co-workers whom are unhappy and will poison the well at any opportunity they arrive at.

The hardest part of this job is the hours for a Child Care Worker. While the schedule looks great on paper (four days on, three days off), those 14-16 hour weekend shifts are grueling -- particularly for the direct line positions (i.e. Child Care Workers) whom we are asking to provide services for extended hours to a volatile population. This, as well as they low pay grade contributes to a high turnover rate, despite the best efforts of the agency to retain its employees (i.e. quarterly trainings, support groups for new employees, supervision, etc.).

The most enjoyable part of the job can be the teams you work with. Through daily crisis, you form some strong bonds with your co-workers and teammates that are unparalleled more than any other position I've worked in my life. And I've worked in many different fields (retail, banker, etc.), so that's saying something. Plus, you receive great personal time off packages in the event that you just need to take a mental breather. I'd strongly recommend this position for people interested in getting acclimated in this field and if they're interested in forming a life-long career in Human Services - but only if your head and heart are fully invested in it.
Amazing people to work with and for.
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee), Black River Falls, WIMay 22, 2015
I have nothing negative to say about this job. Co-workers, management and residents are all amazing. The work is rewarding and fair.
A wonderful experience
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee), York, PAMay 15, 2015
Pros: The residence, the job it self and my duties
Cons: The gossip between staff, the fact that employees weren't put first
I enjoyed my time at Lutheran social services and to be honest I would have never left if it wasn't for the staff, I loved all of my residents and built relationships that I will never forget, encountered memories that will forever be with me, and learned things that will help me in my future!
A day at bremwood
Youth Associate (Current Employee), Waverly, IAMay 9, 2015
Pros: Helping residents through the tough times, support from staff.
Cons: safety issues.
Working at Bremwood can be fun and changelling all at the same time. I have switched positions and tried out in other work areas. Bremwood has been flexible. Working there you never know what your day is going to be. We have to be ready for quick change. During shifts we have to know where the residents are at all times. They should always be in staff sight. I have to pass medications on a timely manner. We have to provide meals. Groups are done daily as well. We provide support to residents. I've learned to have alot of patience with residents. I enjoy spending time with them and seeing them enjoy themselves. Toughest part of the job currently is being low in staff. It is also tough having fun activities planned out, but then being involved in safety issues for hours. It is also tough not talking about the injuries or dangers we are placed in with families. I have all been hit, bit, kicked, choked, concussed. I enjoy making a difference in the kid's lives. It is truly a great feeling.
clients are fun
DSP (Current Employee), Richfield, MNMay 2, 2015
the part of the day i most enjoy is coming in and the residents want to know what you did while you were gone.

and the looks on their faces when you tell them
Place of diversity
Administrative Support Volunteer (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 28, 2015
Pros: Family and friendly work place where diversity does not matter.
Cons: Difficulty to follow up with some clients cases, due the lack of accuracy of their information in their file.
At Lutheran Family Services we serve people from different culture and nationality every day. They refugees who need someone to assist them to express (languages) successfully their needs: Foods, Shelter, school, health, immigration regulations, and much more.
Great intro to social services
Money Management Caseworker (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 27, 2015
Pros: Long lunch break, awesome office environment, great benefits
Great managers, relaxed work environment, casual dress. More downtime than you would expect, but inversely can be extremely busy on certain days. Pay is good for Social Services job, but not much opportunity for advancement. Overall, would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an introduction to social services / public health careers.
Productive workplace
AP Specialist (Former Employee), MilwaukeeApril 27, 2015
Pros: Team Environment
Cons: Mgt style
It is very interesting to learn about the programs LSS supports.

Worked independent of others. Team environment.

Enjoyed supporting social workers who handle programs.
Productive Workplace
Community Service Specialist (Former Employee), Weston, WIApril 23, 2015
Pros: Good learning experience
Cons: N/A
I worked at Lutheran Social Services with handicapped and mentally challenged youth. I learned a lot about the various aliments of mental illness and disease and how the affected individuals cope
Great place to work, learn and grow a lot
Senior Youth Worker (Current Employee), Duluth, MNApril 9, 2015
Pros: Relationships, easy going working environment, flexible hours, free food, fun staff to work with
Cons: Required overnights, little benefits/lower pay, inconsistent shifts
Learned so much about homeless youth and the necessity for community interaction

Was able to help a lot of youth find resources and teach them coping strategies and stress management strategies

Built many relationships and was able to make a difference in many youths' lives

Was able to work independently with little supervision

Hardest part of the job is seeing kids who come from such broken homes struggle to find hope

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing them find it :) (and being allowed to be a part of it!)
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer Paralegal (Former Employee), Worcester, MAApril 6, 2015
Pros: Great attitudes
Cons: Short term
Managing attorneys at this non-profit organization are kind, hard working, and genuinely interested in seeing successful clients and happy co-workers.
Headquarters