Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employer Reviews

productive work place
maintenace worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 27, 2014
Long hours with friendly staff.First I would clean the building and get rid of the garbage.After all small building repairs were done, the day was over.
Excellent place to begin your human services career.
Site Team Leader (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: fun and productive atmosphere, caring management team, excellent coworkers who believe in teamwork approach
Cons: pay isn't really the greatest, especially when you factor in the cost of health insurance, can be a little taxing on your balance of work and personal life
Never a dull moment when working as a direct support professional at LSI. Everyday is new and exciting. The management team is awesome and truly believes in building a TEAM with everyone. Advancement can be somewhat limited, however, due to very low turn over rate among supervisors and coordinators.
Rewarding Job helping children and families
Foster Parent Recruiter (Former Employee), Springfield ILFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: heartbreaking situations
Hard job very good people working here. Very dedicated to the children and families they serve in Illinois.
Mentally challenging
DSP Direct Support Person (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MNFebruary 26, 2014
Working with severely handicapped adults was very difficult work.
working with new cultures
Volunteer (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: great way to help othes
This was a great way to expand my view of the world. working with people coming in from different cultures. I think they are doing a great thing helping with refugees. Helping people that are in bad situations.
Exceptional training and work enviornment
LPC-IT and Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Appleton WisconsinFebruary 22, 2014
Lutheran Social Services has an exceptional management team. The work they do within the community to provide a variety of mental health care is outstanding. A typical day for me was meeting with clients, preparing treatment plans and goals, maintaining files consistently, following HIPPA confidentiality and privacy laws, scheduling clients, facilitating – more... domestic violence groups, attending supervision meetings and more. The most enjoyable part of this job was the people I worked with and the challenge of the case load I had to maintain. – less
lovely place, nice atmosphere
CNA (Former Employee), Canton, ILFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: clean, appreciative of employees
Cons: management at that time
Good place to work, always enough help, some stress but overall happy when employed there
Decent working environment but not too much room for advancement.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee), Indianapolis, IndianaFebruary 13, 2014
This job does not have as much structure as it should be we make it work as best we can. Management can be more supportive. They are not around as much to see what goes on within the units.
A Non Profit in need of better management
Communications Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 31, 2014
I enjoyed my tenure at the company, everyone is very nice and easy to talk to. However, there could have been stricter management of fund and resources, and the massive lay-off that occurred could have been avoided.
Productive, family-oriented workplace
Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee), Harrisburg, ILJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: long hours for salaried position
Although the child welfare system is a challenge, it teaches teamwork, accountability, multi-tasking, and many other things. It breaks your heart some days, and inspires you to work harder others.
Productive, Equal Opportunity
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee), Baxter, MNJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: flexible, rewarding, equal opportunity
Cons: i cannot think of any, i really enjoyed this position.
I really enjoyed working for this company as well. It was very rewarding to work with the individuals with disabilities. We always had fun in creating projects/activities, going out and about town, and even having a movie night and relaxing.
CNA
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Rockford ilJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: overtime
Cons: short breaks
Typical day at work was helping patients with daily activites. I learned helping others was very rewarding. Loved my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was when a patient passed away.
Rewarding job working with children and their families.
Child Welfare Assistant (Current Employee), Peoria, ILJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, friendly staff, healthcare
Cons: pay
This is a great job in which you work with children and their families. You become very involved in the lives of your clients.

I spend my day going to the day care, a foster parents home or a school and pick up a child. I then transport the child back to the agency to have a scheduled visit with their parent. These children have been removed from their – more... families and have been placed in foster care for various reasons. The children then get a special time to see their mom or dad in a visiting room. While their visit is going on, I am assessing the situation. I am looking for appropriate actions between parent and child, appropriate communication, and their over all actions with each other. I will write a report of what occurred during the visit and what I observed. This report is for the case workers, DCFS and the court system to have an idea of how the parent is interacting with their child. How the visits go can help determine when and if a parent gets custody of their children returned or if their parenting status is terminated. After the visit is over, I transport the child back to the place that I picked the child up.

When it comes to management, my supervisor, is the most wonderful and caring person that I know. I am so honored to have the pleasure of working for her. She is very understanding, honest and compassionate.

The co-workers at this agency are amazing! They all help each other out. They are all friendly and I truly believe that they would be there for anyone if needed. That was clearly witnessed when a co-worker just lost everything she had in the Washington, IL tornado. Everyone came together, offered their assistance and donated money and items to her.

There are only a couple things that I find difficult about this job. First, some days might not go so well when you are involved with children who are going through such a difficult time in their lives. Secondly, the pay is very little and it is very difficult for me to make it financially. You don't go into this job to get rich. It's not about the money, however; I do have to be able to get by.

The thing I enjoy most about the job is spending time with the kids. They get attached to you and you get attached to them. It is also very exciting when cases come to a close, everything has been resolved and the parents has been through all of their therapy so, the children are able to be returned home. That moment is priceless! – less
Helping People
Program Facilitator & Assistant (Former Employee), Gilbert, AZJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: helping families
Cons: not enough work
Any giving day
More about myself and helping people who are in need
reports were durable
Got alone with co-wokers
Great work culture
Director (Current Employee), Troy, MIJanuary 23, 2014
LSSM is a very nice place to work. It offers people show off their talents. The management is very enthusiastic and supportive.
Genuinely concerned about people with disabilites
Trainer/ Quality Enhancement Specialist (Current Employee), Fergus Falls, MNJanuary 17, 2014
The best part of my job is doing training and working with people; the hardest part is not being able to move up within the organization.
okay
Childcare worker/Shift Leader (Former Employee), Addison, ILJanuary 14, 2014
not a fun job at all. management doe no give you enough tools to succeed.
Excellent facility with poor management
Youth Specialist (Former Employee), 1525 N RitterJanuary 14, 2014
It has been my experience that discrimination has become a serious issue with LCFS partnered with Community HealthNetwork
Knowing you did just more than a job everyday
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Concord, NHJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: feeling like your job made a difference everyday
Cons: being a non-profit, the compensation was on the lower side.
I really enjoyed this job because I felt like I was truly making a difference. I was like a peer to the foster parents, because if they couldn't get in touch with their child's Social Worker, I was a willing ear to their frustrations. I loved our group of employees- they were a very dedicated and hard-working bunch of women. The hardest part of this – more... job was hearing some of the stories told by the Social Workers in meetings. The most enjoyable part, which was a nice break for all, was we established a staff retreat day- we would go to the sea coast for day during the summer to have a nice lunch and participate in team building activities, or just talking. – less
Productive work Enviroment
Property Manager (Current Employee), Muskegon, MIJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: helping others to become more self sufficient with quality of life.
During my time with Lutheran Social Services I have come to know many people from residents to co-workers. I have found that my time here was a learning and productive experience.

About Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services of Michigan (LSSM) creates communities of service. We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion – Read more