Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Great staff
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Muskegon County, MIJune 5, 2017
I Really loved working with the staff and the residents. It was a really great company to work with and for. If I had the chance to go back I would. I loved everything about this company
Not a good job
Onsite Case Manager (Former Employee) –  North Highlands CAJune 4, 2017
The people were very nice but the job itself required about 60 to 8- hours work week, and there is no overtime, and there are several things that make no sense, a hostile work environment, hostile staff, hostile clients, (different people obviously). The pay did not make this job worth the effort it required and the risk to safety it represented.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
everything else
productive and fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 31, 2017
Lutheran social service gives me the experience of the cashier. the typical day at work was very positive with clients and co-workers. there was not really any hard time within the workplace. the most enjoyable part of the job was being in the environment and the learning experience.
My direct supervisor was amazing
Visitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 30, 2017
The job was very rewarding but when the director got involved in the day to day workings of the organization things generally did not go well. She would change rules without letting people know, She would discipline employees after they had been complimented about their work by the supervising worker on the case,
great staff
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 30, 2017
Coping, filing, scheduling cents for counseling sessions, attending staff meeting and taking notes. Collaborating with other office assistants and organizing monthly meetings
Pros
great staff
Always learning something new
Refuge Aid (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 29, 2017
Management was great and engaging. My caseload was well-balanced. The environment was welcoming and my clients were great. I loved that I can work independent when I needed to.
Pros
great environment
Cons
nothing I can think of
Great culture!
Financial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 25, 2017
A great company to work for, with a welcoming culture and selfless mission. LSS offers a great opportunity to develop leadership and functional skills that can be transferred to the corporate world.
Pros
Flexible schedules, great people, great mission.
Cons
Non-competitive pay.
Fun
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  International Falls, MNMay 23, 2017
This job is very fun! Great people and amazing teamwork. I really enjoy coming into work. The management is very easy to get along with. Also the coworkers are nice.
Great job
Guardianship Options (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 23, 2017
Love my job- however the compensation versus the workload is not compatible. For a company that requires or expects a 4 year degree, the compensation should be more compatible.
Pros
No micromanaging
Cons
pay
good people and work/life balance
Social Worker (Part time) (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMay 23, 2017
i really enjoy working at Lutheran Social Service. great benefit, work/life balance and good management. there is a lot of opportunity for your career.
great place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMay 21, 2017
I was an intern and was very impressed with the management, mission of Lutheran Social Services, and attitudes of employees and clients alike. The people here really care.
Great Experience
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2017
Working here was challenging but a great experience. A small personable agency that is fun to work for however due to the small size of agency there is a lot responsibility given to employees.
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Lot of work
Poor place to work
Program Manager Manager/MFT (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 18, 2017
Poor administrative oversight. Lacks vision with unreasonable expectations. Executive team very disconnected from management staff. Lacks compassion for their employees. No review for 4 years.
hardest part of the job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNMay 17, 2017
The hardest part about my job was more the mentality it would take from you as a direct support staff member. It was sometimes difficult to not get attached to the clients I worked with because of getting to know them more and more everyday was the best part of coming to work and seeing what new adventure would be created with them on a one on one personal level.
Pros
going on outings with the clients
Human Resources Facilitator; screening, recruiting, orientating prospective employees
Human Resources Facilitator (Former Employee) –  East Hazel Crest, ILMay 17, 2017
I enjoyed working for Lutheran Social Services as an HR Facilitator, it included screening applicants, hiring, recruitment and holding orientation to new employees. This job was enjoyable and interesting. I felt I was making a difference in getting applicants off of public welfare and getting them into a position that didn't require a lot of experience, but gave a boost to their self-esteem and human care. These were Home Care Assistants, Certified Nursing Assistants that would go to a homebound patient's home and assist them with bathing, cooking, light cleaning, shopping or taking them to a doctor's appointment. Some workers established a friendly bound with their clients and it worked for both of them.
Pros
Establishing employment for workers
Cons
Some management personnel that show prejudice towards some of the workers.
Great
SPECIAL NEEDS CAREGIVER (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 15, 2017
Offers opportunities to work with individuals or groups of people in need of assistance. I would recommend finding jobs through Lutheran Social Services.
Non productive
Senior Staff Acct/Payroll Mgr/Financial Adm (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 14, 2017
Management is trying to make a name for itself and the employees are unhappy. I am in charge of processing payroll, booking depreciaion, all fixed assets, the youth grant, general journal entries, and all bank reconciliations.
road warrior
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 3, 2017
I liked the work as it was direct client services. Each day was different so schedule varied . I had days that started as early as 6 am and some nights that ran until 6 pm. This is not uncommon for Social services when you are a direct care provider. The work was sometimes dangerous as the clients often lived in unsafe conditions.
Supervisors could have been more helpful.
Pros
Road Warrior. Every day was different.
Cons
long workdays, sometimes dangerous conditions
Poor Management-struggling agency-fostercare.
Therapist-PAIP-Domestic Violence (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 2, 2017
Lutheran provides a valuable service to families and children. The problem is spread out supervision. Too many services and not enough qualified staff. Poor trainings and little or no support to staff. The company has allowed records and chart management to lapse and has no support or clerical help. Constant crisis plus crisis in therapy with resistant biological parents or offenders.
Pros
Agency provides needed children and adult interventions.
Cons
Management and qualified staff-Support.
Great Organization
Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDApril 30, 2017
I worked for Lutheran Social Services for two years. The employees were friendly and helpful. They were dedicated to assist individuals struggling whether they had language barriers or issues.
Pros
Helping and uplifting people who need assistance with language barriers and other issues
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Lutheran Social Services Reviews by Location