Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

The Consumers
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNSeptember 21, 2015
some of the consumers really touched your heart. they were so loving and caring. it made working seem easy or felt like a part of a little family.
Pros
the consumers
Cons
at the end mangament was poor and did not advocate for the consumers as they should have.
self-rewarding helping the residents
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYSeptember 14, 2015
This job impacted me quite a bit. I looked forward to being able to make a difference in the residents lives and often put a smile on their face.
Pros
well-allotted breaks and dinner. Very little employee drama
Cons
Some supervisors were more concerned about revenue than they were the residents
Great work life balance, management needs to be more organized
Licensing Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 5, 2015
Great work life balance, great mission and values. Management needs to be more organized. LSS has great benefits, strong health insurance, dental, and 403 (b) match. Also, great mileage reinbursement
Great atmosphere and work relations
DSP (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNSeptember 1, 2015
Great place to work. Wants whats best for everyone, including employees and willing to work with an employee if they are having issues. Great team to work with.
Checking in Patient's to see providers
Staff Assistant/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NeAugust 18, 2015
Great place to work, great environment and staff is great to work with. Getting to know the patients is also great.

Get to check in the patients to see the APRN or Counselors, also setting getting clients signed up for services with LFS.

It is a very busy and fast paced environment and get to meet lots of great people.
wonderful company
Child Welfare Specialist- Placement Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILAugust 11, 2015
Provided guidance and flexibility as needed. Like with all child welfare employees, for amount of work completed, compensation not matched as it should but this company did it's best to provide good health benefits as well as annual raises.
Pros
flexibillity, managament
Cons
being on call daily for your clients
Employer that cares
Human Trafficking Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2015
LSS gave me the opportunity to start my career without any struggles or disappointments. They make me feel important and proud of myself. The managements and co-workers are excellent. Only if the pay is better/ no increase.
Compassionate people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 9, 2015
The staff at Lutheran Social Services were genuinely caring people that are devoted to helping people. The focus of the LSS office I interned at was New Americans. Many of the employees themselves were immigrants whom had faced the challenges that their clients were dealing with. Staff were authentic and caring.
A good team of co-workers is important to have
Foster Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  illinoisAugust 9, 2015
Good team work is vital particularly in the field of child welfare. There appears to have been a shift in this area. There is however an atmosphere and potential for advancement within the company.
I worked as a support professional, supervising adults during their recovery as well as performed daily office tasks.
Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Hudson, WIAugust 4, 2015
I worked by myself on overnights as a support professional. I administered medication and UAs/BAs to the residents. I supervised adults as they completed daily tasks. I also completed daily office tasks such as copying, answering phones and working with confidential information. I enjoyed working with the residents one-on-one and was glad that I could make a difference in their recovery. The hardest part of the job was the shift that I worked.
Pros
Staff, training, residents
Cons
Pay, work hours
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Rockwood/SouthgateJuly 24, 2015
The company was good on all fronts. The organization and reliability they showed were on par with any other group home environment I've ever worked in
Pros
abcd
Cons
abcd
Excellent Training Opportunity
FAMILY SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEJuly 10, 2015
This job entailed working with clients and their children who were involved with HHS and role modeling healthy living habits to the families. Report writing and team meetings were part of this job. Reporting to HHS if there is a problem with family dynamics was a very important part of this position.
Pros
Excellent Training Environment
Cons
Poor Management
Case Manager
Outreach Specialist/ Case Manager (Current Employee) –  AddisonJune 25, 2015
A typical day at work for me is varies from day to day. I supervise 3-6 staff on my unit. I provide structure and safety for kids I provide direct cares services for. I also attend all court hearings, IEP meetings, visits, ACR's, and staffing's just to name a few meetings I attend weekly. I also input a total of 10 hours of Medicaid (documentations that I am providing services to the client I work with) weekly. I'm also TCI and medication trained. I am very flexible and adopt to change very well. I love working in the social service field because I have a passion for helping others and seeing progress being made in any shape or form.
Enjoyable place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 22, 2015
The typical day was to go to the clients house and help them get dressed and prepared for the day. Then take them shopping or any other errand that they needed to run. The hardest part of the job was a lot of paperwork. I learned how to communicate with the mentally challenged more effectively. The most enjoyable part of my day was to see the clients happy with the way the day went. The smile on their faces when they went shopping or just got to leave the house.
Productive & Positive environment
Attendant Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDJune 21, 2015
All in all I love working for this facility. Very Flexible, management is very understanding in all aspects. Working at this facility I've learned that being patient with the children can really help them keep calm while in the facility.
Very challenging
Child Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJune 19, 2015
Assist youth in following a structured program. I have learned that working with juveniles is very challenging and high risk. Management was very compassionate towards youth's needs. Most of the co-works were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was not knowing when a youth's behavior would get out of control, and staff's well being would be at risk. The most enjoyable part was being there to try and make a difference in the youth's lifes.
Pros
Making a difference in the youth's life
Cons
No breaks
Great company...
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJune 17, 2015
Enjoyable environment and great staff. The office is very laid back and quiet. No micromanaging, everyone helps out when problems arise.
Working for LSS was fun for me. I consider LSS my family.
Quality Assurance Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working for LSS. I loved the foster children, the foster parents and even the bio-parents. The hardest part of the job was when the visiting hour was over between the bio-parents and their children.

The fun part was when you got to see the children coming for their visit with their parents. They are always excited.

There is a lot of paperwork involved working in the QA Department. but i enjoyed it. I did it for so long. I really miss it.
Pros
Very friendly place to work
Cons
Medical Benefit changed over the years a lot of co-payments
A good company to work for
Home Care Assistant II (Current Employee) –  10001 Touhy Avenue, Des Plaines ILJune 15, 2015
1. A typical day at work, was being able to complete all my tasks
2. what did I learn, how to be more compassion and good listener
3. Management, always took care of my needs
4. My co-workers we always got alone very well together
5. The hardest part of the job, was not enough hours
6. The most enjoyable part of the job. always meeting new people
and enjoying their company
Pros
If you leave the company, they will alway rehire you, when standing are good
Cons
Would take a shorter lunch to complete all my tasks sometimes
Ideal for Human Services Entry Level Position
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 14, 2015
I'd been with the agency for a couple of years and had advanced from a Child Care Worker position to Middle Management. I have learned a great deal about myself as well as the impact trauma has on the youth we provide services for. Is this a rewarding position? It depends on whom you ask. I know several co-workers that love it for the fact that it is merely serving as a stepping-stone in their lives before they move onto something bigger and more important to them. I know of other co-workers whom are unhappy and will poison the well at any opportunity they arrive at.

The hardest part of this job is the hours for a Child Care Worker. While the schedule looks great on paper (four days on, three days off), those 14-16 hour weekend shifts are grueling -- particularly for the direct line positions (i.e. Child Care Workers) whom we are asking to provide services for extended hours to a volatile population. This, as well as they low pay grade contributes to a high turnover rate, despite the best efforts of the agency to retain its employees (i.e. quarterly trainings, support groups for new employees, supervision, etc.).

The most enjoyable part of the job can be the teams you work with. Through daily crisis, you form some strong bonds with your co-workers and teammates that are unparalleled more than any other position I've worked in my life. And I've worked in many different fields (retail, banker, etc.), so that's saying something. Plus, you receive great personal time off packages in the event that you just need to take a mental breather. I'd strongly recommend this position
  more... for people interested in getting acclimated in this field and if they're interested in forming a life-long career in Human Services - but only if your head and heart are fully invested in it.  less
Pros
Paid Time Off, Co-Workers and Administrative Staff
Cons
Pay rates, Career Advancement