Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews in United States

cna
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  york paOctober 19, 2015
taking care of people in need , in all cases of life. Fun loving and great people to work with. I love to help some one through the tough times and watch them get better.
Pros
great people to work with you as a team
Cons
managment, and poor job security, the better u are the more your punnished for it.
Wonderful
CTA/ Family Support Specialist/Tracker (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NEApril 15, 2016
Great group of individuals, who are truly there to listen, give me advice to better my self and help individuals who needed my assistance
great place
I volunteer for I Help Shelter (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 18, 2016
they help the homeless out alot it is a great place to work i love helping the ladys out and make sure that they have someone to work so they can have a place to stay at night
Pros
luches and a place to stay at night
Cons
not getting paid on time
Great intro to social services
Money Management Caseworker (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 27, 2015
Great managers, relaxed work environment, casual dress. More downtime than you would expect, but inversely can be extremely busy on certain days. Pay is good for Social Services job, but not much opportunity for advancement. Overall, would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an introduction to social services / public health careers.
Pros
Long lunch break, awesome office environment, great benefits
tiding over job only
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 29, 2015
working for LSI in Ames is not easy. management is insecure and routinely belittles both clients and workers. the leadership team is more interested in the bottom line then the workers or clients. creativity is not accepted unless you know how to work the system.
my work experience at LSI was difficult but taught me a lot. there are very good workers at the center, management is just not willing to let them be their best.
Pros
some very talented workers
Cons
management, leadership, job culture, pay and respect
productive,fun,and positive energy workforce
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 4, 2015
•Attracts potential customers by answering product and service questions; suggesting information about other products and services.
• Opens customer accounts by recording account information.
• Maintains customer records by updating account information.
• Resolves product or service problems by clarifying the customer's complaint; determining the cause of the problem; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem; expediting correction or adjustment; following up to ensure resolution.
• Maintains financial accounts by processing customer adjustments.
Pros
good customer service, free meals
Cons
short hours
Productive and fun environment to work place with supportive management.
Substitute Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2015
Great company to work for. My job entails working side by side with the Head Teacher to promote children learning in a safe environment that allow student to learn, explore and be creative in their thinking while developing their skill.
Pros
Great benefit for full time staff and free lunch provide
Cons
May be require to work over schedule shift
Good people to work with, liked planning everyday activities.
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 18, 2015
Good place to work. The people i worked with and the residents i served made the day go by in a pleasant way. Managing the kitchen and putting together a menu and making good healthy meals is the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job is their is no advancement and the salary never goes up.
Pros
free food, stable hours, little stress
Cons
no pay raises
good company
Volunteer Resettlement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNSeptember 30, 2015
very well company, they help refugees when they come USA
these are what we do as a company and also more

Assisted in copying and filing documents appropriately.
• Assisted clients who needed transportation to and from health clinics, county offices, and/or social security offices.
• Assisted in completing MN Sure and CAF forms for clients.
• Ensured the cleanliness of the conference room and arranged items in the supply room.
• Ensured there are no missing documents in closed cases, and setup new files for new arrivals.
Rewarding experience
Direct Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Andover, MADecember 27, 2015
Working with developmentally delayed individuals always gave me an inner satisfaction especially after teaching and watching them do things on their own.It was such a satisfying experience.
very rewarding job
direct care staff (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 7, 2015
My job experiences have always been very productive.
While in sales, I was always one of the top sellers and had multiple awards.
In my care of children and seniors, It was always very rewarding to be able to care for this persons and give them my full attention and support.
Very challenging
Child Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJune 19, 2015
Assist youth in following a structured program. I have learned that working with juveniles is very challenging and high risk. Management was very compassionate towards youth's needs. Most of the co-works were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was not knowing when a youth's behavior would get out of control, and staff's well being would be at risk. The most enjoyable part was being there to try and make a difference in the youth's lifes.
Pros
Making a difference in the youth's life
Cons
No breaks
A good company to work for
Home Care Assistant II (Current Employee) –  10001 Touhy Avenue, Des Plaines ILJune 15, 2015
1. A typical day at work, was being able to complete all my tasks
2. what did I learn, how to be more compassion and good listener
3. Management, always took care of my needs
4. My co-workers we always got alone very well together
5. The hardest part of the job, was not enough hours
6. The most enjoyable part of the job. always meeting new people
and enjoying their company
Pros
If you leave the company, they will alway rehire you, when standing are good
Cons
Would take a shorter lunch to complete all my tasks sometimes
Excellent Training Opportunity
FAMILY SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEJuly 10, 2015
This job entailed working with clients and their children who were involved with HHS and role modeling healthy living habits to the families. Report writing and team meetings were part of this job. Reporting to HHS if there is a problem with family dynamics was a very important part of this position.
Pros
Excellent Training Environment
Cons
Poor Management
A good team of co-workers is important to have
Foster Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  illinoisAugust 9, 2015
Good team work is vital particularly in the field of child welfare. There appears to have been a shift in this area. There is however an atmosphere and potential for advancement within the company.
Loved every second working with the kids
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNNovember 1, 2015
In the 8 years as a foster parent I had 51 children in my home and each and every one of them had a success story to take with them when they left. It was a 24/7 job but the rewards of being there were priceless.
Pros
Helping kids change their lives
Cons
Had to be committed fulltime with no days off
The job was challenging and interesting.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAOctober 30, 2015
Situations varied concerning a "typical" day, however I visited with children aged 5 to 17 and their families at their residence, providing brief health interventions concerning behavioral issues associated with mental health diagnosis. Clients met in the office at times. There was much training concerning conflict resolution and facilitating family meetings designed to focus on client behavioral and future life style goals.
I learned much: each person has strengths within them to meet issues, listening to clients often results in knowing underlying issues concerning challenges faced. Development of empathetic skills was cultivated as I progressed in the field.
Management was professional and readily worked with me to improve overall social work skills. An open door policy was maintained.
Coworkers were generally experienced in the field and readily offered suggestions concerning challenging client situations. During briefings and monthly staff meetings, ideas were freely shared as were positive critiques designed to encourage.
The greatest challenge faced was closing cases after the client's six-month time period concluded. Clients generally demonstrated challenges concerning change. At times, there was extreme angst, anxiety and depression displayed by clients as intervention drew to it's conclusion. This was not the case in all instances.
The nature of the job itself was thoroughly enjoyable. I enjoyed using creative skills, intelligence and empathy to facilitate a clients and family's increased daily biosocial functioning.
Pros
Daily personal growth, autonimy, occasional free meals and coffee, being surrounded by educated, compassionate individuals, the opportunity to develop referrals through public relations.
Cons
Client cancellations, postponements, running away, parental issues
A good place to work, but could benefit for more advocating for the clients.
Elder Abuse Investigator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2015
It's a good environment to work in because helping the seniors in the community is important and, we were able to advocate for them through the service we provided.
Pros
Pot lucks we did.
Cons
Stressful at times
Excellent place to begin your human services career.
Site Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 27, 2014
Never a dull moment when working as a direct support professional at LSI. Everyday is new and exciting. The management team is awesome and truly believes in building a TEAM with everyone. Advancement can be somewhat limited, however, due to very low turn over rate among supervisors and coordinators.
Pros
fun and productive atmosphere, caring management team, excellent coworkers who believe in teamwork approach
Cons
pay isn't really the greatest, especially when you factor in the cost of health insurance, can be a little taxing on your balance of work and personal life
Don't care for employees
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IANovember 8, 2015
They dont care about the staff, they only care of money. They dont care about the safety of anyone. staff is treated as if they are replaceable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Lutheran Social Services Reviews by Location