Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employer Reviews

Productive workplace in the aid of individuals that are in need of help
Community Corrections Specialist/Mentoring (Current Employee), Baraboo, WINovember 11, 2014
Pros: great staff, good atmosphere, flexibility
My typical day of work consists of checking on juveniles that have been adjudicated and are referred to our company through county social workers. I've learned that in monitoring these kids and wanting them to succeed through our programs seems relatively easy but that isn't always the case for some of these individuals. I enjoy working for my boss. He is very easy going, has a good sense of humor and makes the workplace fun. All of my co-workers are very nice, easy to get along and work with and are very supportive in achieving our goals to our clients. The hardest part of my job is wanting and trying to help clients achieve their goals but not having them put forth a valiant effort in which to do so. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can see that I made a difference in someone's life for the better even if it's a small one.
New Programming in Contra Costa County
Administrative Office/Property Manager (Former Employee), Concord, CANovember 6, 2014
Pros: helped homeless youth get off the streets and into housing.
Cons: not enough for me to do on a daily basis
Contract management, answer phones, emails, process all deposits, collect rents from housing programs, interview potential residents for the transitional housing program.

That I needed more from a job, it was very low. I need to be busy during the day.

I enjoyed the management team and the relaxed environment.

My co-workers were fun and we did several events to promote relationships with all the program staff.

We worked 37.5 hours per week
Help me to learn and be the mom that I am today.
Accounts Payable Lead Clerk (Current Employee), 1001 E. TouchyNovember 5, 2014
Pros: great vacation time...
Cons: no room for advancement or growth!
I have been here now 19years went back to school to learn something new.
LSSM
Client Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Midland miOctober 24, 2014
This is a great company to work for.If you like staying busy, this is the company for you. This company is dedicated to its clients as well as its employees.
FUN -
Parenting Time Specialist (Former Employee), Omaha, NEOctober 23, 2014
Pros: money, gifts, help customers
Cons: hours
Fun, laid back Money and gifts were throw at us ! Met, great people and made A lot of money ! I'm sure that's why they closed in Omaha, NE.
A feel good place to work
Home Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Peoria, ILOctober 20, 2014
Pros: make up your own hours
Cons: office doesn't always seem to know what is going on
Being able to bring comfort and security to your clients makes up for the office being disorganized and uncommunicative
Excellent work environment. Effective training
Direct support provider (Current Employee), Faribault, MNOctober 14, 2014
I enjoy working one on one with clients and helping them progress throughout collaborative goals we've established.
Very flexible working environment
Lead Clinician (Current Employee), El Paso, TXOctober 3, 2014
Pros: flexability
Cons: healthcare
There are three counselors who have a caseload of 17/18 children each for the program. We can host 50 children. We provide individual and group counseling for the children. We also host a community meeting for the needs of the children. I have learned how the government and state level intercedes for the children. Management staffing of the cases is important so that as a team we can find solutions to the cases of the children. The most enjoyable part of the job is that these children get to be with their families.
Seeing new and familiar faces
dining services assistant (Former Employee), Gettysburg, PASeptember 17, 2014
One of the many enjoyable things about working at Lutheran Social Services is getting to know everyone. I became very attached to many of the residents there, even the ones who couldn't speak. The majority of my coworkers were very friendly people and they were easy to get along with. The work could be hard sometimes but I can't complain because it always kept me busy and the day would always go by fast.
Fulfilling
Administrative Case Review Board (Former Employee), Belleville, ILSeptember 10, 2014
The residents were very heartwarming and great to work with. This job had very high challenges and rewards.
Great Starting Place
Family and Comm. Specialist (Current Employee), WIAugust 29, 2014
Lutheran Social Services (LSS) offers a variety of services throughout Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. With the help of over 1,100 employees, LSS provides services across a person’s lifespan, addressing a variety of conditions. Services are available for children and families, adults, older adults and persons with disabilities. Services are open to all, regardless of religious affiliation or background.

LSS conducts its ministry on behalf of Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) congregations in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.

Each year, LSS offers over 262 programs at over 196 sites in 115 communities throughout Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. LSS has an agency-wide office in Milwaukee and offices throughout Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.
Fast Pace Job
Youth Specialist /Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee), 1525 North Ritter AveAugust 25, 2014
Pros: that you get to break bread with the youth have a conversation with them/
Cons: you dont get your own personal break and when you do its only 30 minutes.
Fast pace job, can be stressful at times. Learn more about youth with disorders and personal issues in life. Management can be non-caring and not consistent enough for this type of field. Co-worker can be more compassion at their jobs than just a pay check. The hardest part is when you cant help a youth get to the other place in their journey, the enjoyable part is when you have successfully help an youth and you see it on their face,
Comfortable & Fulfilling
DSP (Current Employee), Shoreview, MNAugust 20, 2014
Pros: great employee compensation, positive vibes, great goals
LSS is a non-profit company that serves vulnerable adults. As an employee for LSS, we strive to provide effective assistance to the individuals living in our homes so that they feel content as well as independent throughout their daily lives.
Child Care Counselor
Family Services Child Care Counselor (Current Employee), Jamestown, NYAugust 18, 2014
Work in a house with seven teenage boys. I would do paper work on the computer. A lot of typing. I would make sure they are living in a safe environment. I would communicate with fellow staff and youth.
fun place to work
Direct Care Worker (CNA) (Former Employee), St. Croix Virgin IslandsAugust 18, 2014
Pros: clients
Cons: death
working in a 24hrs facility I work the 3rd shift again assist clients with their daily needs co-worker were great all got along pretty well environment was great up and down as any job would have but we had a lot better up than down
Excellent Learning Experience
EMERGENCY SERVICES COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INAugust 9, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: was emergency assistance only, never got to see what happened "after"
I helped people in financial crisis. We helped families with rent, utilities, work clothes, or any other assistance needed. I learned a lot about writing grants and all that entails, The management was good, My co-workers were great and everyone worked together well. The hardest part of the job was seeing those in desperate need of help or they would lose their home, heat, or couldn't get to work because they didn't have any money left over for gas. It was a good experience for me there also because I had never had to stand up and present programs before large groups of people or defend our need for funding to grantor. I feel that was the most valuable learning experience I have had in my work history.
fun work place and friendly staff
Intern (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 8, 2014
I gained a lot experience from coworkers and staff through positive feedback. I also improved my communication skills by interacting with clients face to face and over the phone.
Decenct Workplace
DSP/ CRMA (Current Employee), Westbrook/ Auburn MaineAugust 6, 2014
Not a high paying company but there are some great DSPs and some wonderful supervisors. Because the pay is not great there are also some individuals who are not the most professional and this seems to slip through the cracks.
Fun and service
Case Manager (Current Employee), Omaha, NEJuly 29, 2014
If u like selling, buying and interacting with people of different backgrounds both co-workers and customers it's a good place.
Hard work!
Childcare Worker (Former Employee), Forest Park, ILJuly 28, 2014
Pros: free meals and a chance to help others who are in need.
Cons: unpredictable work environment.
This job choice is one for helping people who have had a difficult life.

About Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services of Michigan (LSSM) creates communities of service. We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion – Read more