Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

clients are fun
DSP (Current Employee), Richfield, MNMay 2, 2015
the part of the day i most enjoy is coming in and the residents want to know what you did while you were gone.

and the looks on their faces when you tell them
Place of diversity
Administrative Support Volunteer (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 28, 2015
Pros: Family and friendly work place where diversity does not matter.
Cons: Difficulty to follow up with some clients cases, due the lack of accuracy of their information in their file.
At Lutheran Family Services we serve people from different culture and nationality every day. They refugees who need someone to assist them to express (languages) successfully their needs: Foods, Shelter, school, health, immigration regulations, and much more.
Great intro to social services
Money Management Caseworker (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 27, 2015
Pros: Long lunch break, awesome office environment, great benefits
Great managers, relaxed work environment, casual dress. More downtime than you would expect, but inversely can be extremely busy on certain days. Pay is good for Social Services job, but not much opportunity for advancement. Overall, would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an introduction to social services / public health careers.
Productive workplace
AP Specialist (Former Employee), MilwaukeeApril 27, 2015
Pros: Team Environment
Cons: Mgt style
It is very interesting to learn about the programs LSS supports.

Worked independent of others. Team environment.

Enjoyed supporting social workers who handle programs.
Productive Workplace
Community Service Specialist (Former Employee), Weston, WIApril 23, 2015
Pros: Good learning experience
Cons: N/A
I worked at Lutheran Social Services with handicapped and mentally challenged youth. I learned a lot about the various aliments of mental illness and disease and how the affected individuals cope
Great place to work, learn and grow a lot
Senior Youth Worker (Current Employee), Duluth, MNApril 9, 2015
Pros: Relationships, easy going working environment, flexible hours, free food, fun staff to work with
Cons: Required overnights, little benefits/lower pay, inconsistent shifts
Learned so much about homeless youth and the necessity for community interaction

Was able to help a lot of youth find resources and teach them coping strategies and stress management strategies

Built many relationships and was able to make a difference in many youths' lives

Was able to work independently with little supervision

Hardest part of the job is seeing kids who come from such broken homes struggle to find hope

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing them find it :) (and being allowed to be a part of it!)
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer Paralegal (Former Employee), Worcester, MAApril 6, 2015
Pros: Great attitudes
Cons: Short term
Managing attorneys at this non-profit organization are kind, hard working, and genuinely interested in seeing successful clients and happy co-workers.
Great team work
social work (Current Employee), washington dcApril 6, 2015
No programs to attract and retain great employees, high turnover ratio because of it.
No real opportunity for growth.Real important work, however.
Great place to intern
Foster Care Intern (Former Employee), Jackson, MIMarch 31, 2015
They don't take advantage of you as an intern and are extremely willing to teach everything they can. They also understand your position and offer plenty of support as well.
tiding over job only
Program Supervisor (Former Employee), Ames, IAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: some very talented workers
Cons: management, leadership, job culture, pay and respect
working for LSI in Ames is not easy. management is insecure and routinely belittles both clients and workers. the leadership team is more interested in the bottom line then the workers or clients. creativity is not accepted unless you know how to work the system.
my work experience at LSI was difficult but taught me a lot. there are very good workers at the center, management is just not willing to let them be their best.
Lutheran Social Services was my first choice in a location for my internship. It was an excellent experience.
Internship (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Professional, knowledgeable staff
Cons: None
Lutheran Social Services-North was an excellent facility and Internship experience. I learned the professional and accurate way to work with recovering addicts,
not a great place to work for
Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Arlington, MAMarch 19, 2015
this company does not go the extra mile for theirs employees, they do not care about your feelings and your family life values. hate if you are in need of a short term gig ok, but I would not recommend this as a permanent job
Good people to work with, liked planning everyday activities.
Chef Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 18, 2015
Pros: free food, stable hours, little stress
Cons: no pay raises
Good place to work. The people i worked with and the residents i served made the day go by in a pleasant way. Managing the kitchen and putting together a menu and making good healthy meals is the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job is their is no advancement and the salary never goes up.
Flexible hours
Unlicensed Family and Community Therapist (Current Employee), Baraboo, WIFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule and great coworkers
Cons: benefits and compensation are minimal
On a typical day I would complete a variety of various tasks, such as facilitate a team meeting, speak with other mental health professionals regarding services needed or those being provided, or meeting with a client for therapeutic mentoring services.

My co-workers are very supportive, which I have found very helpful.
Very fun and relaxing environment
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Brainerd, MNFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: helping others, being appreciated
Cons: short breaks, no coverage
I did the scheduling, intakes, greeting clients, billing, medical records, and basic office duties. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the clients and watching them improve and being part of that. The job is very rewarding and the co-workers that I work with daily are amazing!
Great people with a great purpose
Respite caregiver (Former Employee), El Paso, TexasFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: learning about how the mind of a child works
Cons: long hours on some days.
Working with foster children and those in the process of adoption was both rewarding as well as hard. Seeing how so many children needed a good home. I learned to be more patient with children as well as adults and to be more sensitive to why people act the way they do.
Great team work! Fun, hard working and dedicated staff!
Administrative Support (Current Employee), Brainerd, MNFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: temporary job
Review mail, data entry, lot's of phone work, meeting/greeting clients at the front desk, taking care of crisis files. The staff is fantastic they are all devoted and hard working team players! Management is always there to see if we have what we need to take care of our clients. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help all of our clients needs and the lack of appreciation for the help they do receive. The most rewarding part of my job is to let people know they have been awarded financial help with their heating bills and they are so happy & grateful!
Challenging workplace
Residential Aide/receptionist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2015
I enjoyed working with the staff. The job was challenging sometimes, but with the help of my peers, I was able to move through those rough patches.
working with the clients was a good learning experience
Direct Support Care Giver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJanuary 28, 2015
I am a paerent of a son that has special needs and after working at Lutheran Services of Iowa i woudn't have my son be with thier establishment nor would I recommend any buddy else's son or daughter to be with thier establishment
Volunteer as interpreter for helping refugees
Volunteer as interpreter for helping refugees (Current Employee), Raleigh,NCJanuary 23, 2015
Volunteer as interpreter for helping refugees...................................
Headquarters