Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

working with the clients was a good learning experience
Direct Support Care Giver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJanuary 28, 2015
I am a paerent of a son that has special needs and after working at Lutheran Services of Iowa i woudn't have my son be with thier establishment nor would I recommend any buddy else's son or daughter to be with thier establishment
Volunteer as interpreter for helping refugees
Volunteer as interpreter for helping refugees (Current Employee), Raleigh,NCJanuary 23, 2015
Volunteer as interpreter for helping refugees...................................
Help consumers reintergrate into the community.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Oshkosh, WIJanuary 15, 2015
Help consumers reintegrate into the community.

Great coworkers, work well with each other.
In Home Care Provider (Current Employee), variousJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: great clients
Cons: compensation
I love my job but feel like I don't get paid enough to do what I do. They have no communication with their employees.
Wonderful people!
Administrative Assistant/Office Coordinator (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: floating holidays, bonuses, healthcare.
Cons: difficult clients.
I have never worked with such lovely and deeply caring group of people. This is such a wonderful organization to work for!! On a typical day, I found myself working with different cultures, ideologies, and other socioeconomic factors. I took care of all accounts receivable operations. I also collected and kept track of data needed for files to ensure successful audits by Colorado State. My co-workers were beautiful, compassionate people who worked hard to ensure the safety and well-being of children. We worked as a cohesive team and work family. Sometimes I had clients that were very difficult to work with because they were unhappy with the situations or circumstances that brought them to our organization. I learned that I have a natural ability to diffuse and regulate difficult situations like these.
Good workplace
Assist children (Current Employee), Waterloo, IADecember 26, 2014
It is a very good workplace. The job includes assisting adults and children with special needs. It is more of a one-on-one contact with clients.
Habilitation Counselor
Habilitation Counselor (Former Employee), Gastonia, NCDecember 17, 2014
Cons: non- professional, very stressful and no room for advancement.
This was a job that was not professional. You could not advance. There was nothing enjoyable about this job.
Management is bipolar
Executive Director (Former Employee), Spring, TexasDecember 10, 2014
Pros: gave some autonomy.
Cons: fire you without warning even when meeting all expectations. cruel.
Working very hard and meeting all objectives means nothing to this company. Supposed to be Christian, but have been treated better by secular organizations. Not supportive, adversarial top Executive team. Very disappointing.
case worker
Childcare Provider (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 10, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no raises
making lunch and dinner. watching clients children if at work or school and not on unit
Great social service opportunities but limited advancement, inconsistent application of compensation & benefits
Case Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2014
Pros: paid time off 5 weeks + available annually
Cons: inconsistent holidays, comp time rarely honored, limited advancement opportunities
LSSI has terrific work opportunities but limited options for advancement. The agency is also lopsided in balancing work and free time, especially considering programs which operate during business hours and those which operate on a 24 hour basis. Although everyone receives a generous amount of paid time off every year, holidays are consistently rewarded to everyone who works the business hours but very inconsistent for the workers at the 24-hour programs. Management, training, and financial goals appear to lack direction. The culture is vastly different depending upon the office location, yet in recent years the agency overall seems to be trying to attain a big-business corporate feel and get away from the not-for-profit agency camaraderie that existed just a few years ago.
Stressful, but ultimately rewarding
Youth Associate (Current Employee), Waverly, IANovember 29, 2014
Pros: free meals, doing fun activities
Cons: short, if any, breaks; high-stress atmosphere
LSI - Bremwood is a residential treatment center for juveniles around the state of Iowa. A typical day of work is supervising the kids, making sure they stay out of trouble, holding the kids accountable for their behaviors, keeping them occupied by planning activities both on- and off-campus, and keeping kids safe when they or another peer is being aggressive with their peers or with staff. Above all what you learn here is patience. The program that we execute here is ultimately a positive experience for those kids, but progress through the program and behaviors that we teach them do not happen overnight. The hardest part of the job is when situations get physical and you are called upon to keep a child and their peers safe by restraining that person. The most enjoyable part of the job is the teamwork between staff on a daily/nightly basis. Another enjoyable part of the job are the relationships you build with the kids, and the fun activities you get to do as a group when everything is going smoothly.
Enjoyed working there
Foster Care Specialist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WINovember 27, 2014
Cons: one hour lunch break
Case management, high case load. How to manage case load. Good management. Delightful co-workers and worked together as a team. Hardest part working with irate customer; but, learned to deescalate situations. Enjoyable work environment.
really enjoy working with the clients
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee), saint cloud mnNovember 20, 2014
Pros: fun loving place
Cons: working late at night
Working here is awesome, i really enjoy spending time with the clients, but working till 7-8pm at night dosent work for me, i have learn a lot, i learned how to work with people with autism and how to use sign language and picto scheduling.
Fun learning with children
Teacher assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2014
The children never forget the people who helped them particularly when I was struggling and showing patience, kindness, understanding and skill. They'll remember you for your whole life and as I’ve often found in my profession as a Principal or as a teacher, making a difference to a child’s life is a reward that’s just simply priceless and you really can’t put a value on it.
Outstanding
Training & Educational Specialist (Current Employee), Roslyn, PANovember 15, 2014
They are outstanding employerrs and it is a job to wotk there. They go through great learnths to ensure that their employees are happy and respected.
Productive workplace in the aid of individuals that are in need of help
Community Corrections Specialist/Mentoring (Current Employee), Baraboo, WINovember 11, 2014
Pros: great staff, good atmosphere, flexibility
My typical day of work consists of checking on juveniles that have been adjudicated and are referred to our company through county social workers. I've learned that in monitoring these kids and wanting them to succeed through our programs seems relatively easy but that isn't always the case for some of these individuals. I enjoy working for my boss. He is very easy going, has a good sense of humor and makes the workplace fun. All of my co-workers are very nice, easy to get along and work with and are very supportive in achieving our goals to our clients. The hardest part of my job is wanting and trying to help clients achieve their goals but not having them put forth a valiant effort in which to do so. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can see that I made a difference in someone's life for the better even if it's a small one.
New Programming in Contra Costa County
Administrative Office/Property Manager (Former Employee), Concord, CANovember 6, 2014
Pros: helped homeless youth get off the streets and into housing.
Cons: not enough for me to do on a daily basis
Contract management, answer phones, emails, process all deposits, collect rents from housing programs, interview potential residents for the transitional housing program.

That I needed more from a job, it was very low. I need to be busy during the day.

I enjoyed the management team and the relaxed environment.

My co-workers were fun and we did several events to promote relationships with all the program staff.

We worked 37.5 hours per week
Help me to learn and be the mom that I am today.
Accounts Payable Lead Clerk (Current Employee), 1001 E. TouchyNovember 5, 2014
Pros: great vacation time...
Cons: no room for advancement or growth!
I have been here now 19years went back to school to learn something new.
LSSM
Client Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Midland miOctober 24, 2014
This is a great company to work for.If you like staying busy, this is the company for you. This company is dedicated to its clients as well as its employees.
FUN -
Parenting Time Specialist (Former Employee), Omaha, NEOctober 23, 2014
Pros: money, gifts, help customers
Cons: hours
Fun, laid back Money and gifts were throw at us ! Met, great people and made A lot of money ! I'm sure that's why they closed in Omaha, NE.

About Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services of Michigan (LSSM) creates communities of service. We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion – Read more

Lutheran Social Services Salaries