Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

tiding over job only
Program Supervisor (Former Employee), Ames, IAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: some very talented workers
Cons: management, leadership, job culture, pay and respect
working for LSI in Ames is not easy. management is insecure and routinely belittles both clients and workers. the leadership team is more interested in the bottom line then the workers or clients. creativity is not accepted unless you know how to work the system.
my work experience at LSI was difficult but taught me a lot. there are very good workers at the center, management is just not willing to let them be their best.
Lutheran Social Services was my first choice in a location for my internship. It was an excellent experience.
Internship (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Professional, knowledgeable staff
Cons: None
Lutheran Social Services-North was an excellent facility and Internship experience. I learned the professional and accurate way to work with recovering addicts,
not a great place to work for
Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Arlington, MAMarch 19, 2015
this company does not go the extra mile for theirs employees, they do not care about your feelings and your family life values. hate if you are in need of a short term gig ok, but I would not recommend this as a permanent job
Good people to work with, liked planning everyday activities.
Chef Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 18, 2015
Pros: free food, stable hours, little stress
Cons: no pay raises
Good place to work. The people i worked with and the residents i served made the day go by in a pleasant way. Managing the kitchen and putting together a menu and making good healthy meals is the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job is their is no advancement and the salary never goes up.
Flexible hours
Unlicensed Family and Community Therapist (Current Employee), Baraboo, WIFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule and great coworkers
Cons: benefits and compensation are minimal
On a typical day I would complete a variety of various tasks, such as facilitate a team meeting, speak with other mental health professionals regarding services needed or those being provided, or meeting with a client for therapeutic mentoring services.

My co-workers are very supportive, which I have found very helpful.
Very fun and relaxing environment
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Brainerd, MNFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: helping others, being appreciated
Cons: short breaks, no coverage
I did the scheduling, intakes, greeting clients, billing, medical records, and basic office duties. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the clients and watching them improve and being part of that. The job is very rewarding and the co-workers that I work with daily are amazing!
Great people with a great purpose
Respite caregiver (Former Employee), El Paso, TexasFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: learning about how the mind of a child works
Cons: long hours on some days.
Working with foster children and those in the process of adoption was both rewarding as well as hard. Seeing how so many children needed a good home. I learned to be more patient with children as well as adults and to be more sensitive to why people act the way they do.
Great team work! Fun, hard working and dedicated staff!
Administrative Support (Current Employee), Brainerd, MNFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: temporary job
Review mail, data entry, lot's of phone work, meeting/greeting clients at the front desk, taking care of crisis files. The staff is fantastic they are all devoted and hard working team players! Management is always there to see if we have what we need to take care of our clients. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help all of our clients needs and the lack of appreciation for the help they do receive. The most rewarding part of my job is to let people know they have been awarded financial help with their heating bills and they are so happy & grateful!
Challenging workplace
Residential Aide/receptionist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2015
I enjoyed working with the staff. The job was challenging sometimes, but with the help of my peers, I was able to move through those rough patches.
working with the clients was a good learning experience
Direct Support Care Giver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJanuary 28, 2015
I am a paerent of a son that has special needs and after working at Lutheran Services of Iowa i woudn't have my son be with thier establishment nor would I recommend any buddy else's son or daughter to be with thier establishment
Volunteer as interpreter for helping refugees
Volunteer as interpreter for helping refugees (Current Employee), Raleigh,NCJanuary 23, 2015
Volunteer as interpreter for helping refugees...................................
Help consumers reintergrate into the community.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Oshkosh, WIJanuary 15, 2015
Help consumers reintegrate into the community.

Great coworkers, work well with each other.
In Home Care Provider (Current Employee), variousJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: great clients
Cons: compensation
I love my job but feel like I don't get paid enough to do what I do. They have no communication with their employees.
Wonderful people!
Administrative Assistant/Office Coordinator (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: floating holidays, bonuses, healthcare.
Cons: difficult clients.
I have never worked with such lovely and deeply caring group of people. This is such a wonderful organization to work for!! On a typical day, I found myself working with different cultures, ideologies, and other socioeconomic factors. I took care of all accounts receivable operations. I also collected and kept track of data needed for files to ensure successful audits by Colorado State. My co-workers were beautiful, compassionate people who worked hard to ensure the safety and well-being of children. We worked as a cohesive team and work family. Sometimes I had clients that were very difficult to work with because they were unhappy with the situations or circumstances that brought them to our organization. I learned that I have a natural ability to diffuse and regulate difficult situations like these.
Good workplace
Assist children (Current Employee), Waterloo, IADecember 26, 2014
It is a very good workplace. The job includes assisting adults and children with special needs. It is more of a one-on-one contact with clients.
Habilitation Counselor
Habilitation Counselor (Former Employee), Gastonia, NCDecember 17, 2014
Cons: non- professional, very stressful and no room for advancement.
This was a job that was not professional. You could not advance. There was nothing enjoyable about this job.
Management is bipolar
Executive Director (Former Employee), Spring, TexasDecember 10, 2014
Pros: gave some autonomy.
Cons: fire you without warning even when meeting all expectations. cruel.
Working very hard and meeting all objectives means nothing to this company. Supposed to be Christian, but have been treated better by secular organizations. Not supportive, adversarial top Executive team. Very disappointing.
case worker
Childcare Provider (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 10, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no raises
making lunch and dinner. watching clients children if at work or school and not on unit
Great social service opportunities but limited advancement, inconsistent application of compensation & benefits
Case Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2014
Pros: paid time off 5 weeks + available annually
Cons: inconsistent holidays, comp time rarely honored, limited advancement opportunities
LSSI has terrific work opportunities but limited options for advancement. The agency is also lopsided in balancing work and free time, especially considering programs which operate during business hours and those which operate on a 24 hour basis. Although everyone receives a generous amount of paid time off every year, holidays are consistently rewarded to everyone who works the business hours but very inconsistent for the workers at the 24-hour programs. Management, training, and financial goals appear to lack direction. The culture is vastly different depending upon the office location, yet in recent years the agency overall seems to be trying to attain a big-business corporate feel and get away from the not-for-profit agency camaraderie that existed just a few years ago.
Stressful, but ultimately rewarding
Youth Associate (Current Employee), Waverly, IANovember 29, 2014
Pros: free meals, doing fun activities
Cons: short, if any, breaks; high-stress atmosphere
LSI - Bremwood is a residential treatment center for juveniles around the state of Iowa. A typical day of work is supervising the kids, making sure they stay out of trouble, holding the kids accountable for their behaviors, keeping them occupied by planning activities both on- and off-campus, and keeping kids safe when they or another peer is being aggressive with their peers or with staff. Above all what you learn here is patience. The program that we execute here is ultimately a positive experience for those kids, but progress through the program and behaviors that we teach them do not happen overnight. The hardest part of the job is when situations get physical and you are called upon to keep a child and their peers safe by restraining that person. The most enjoyable part of the job is the teamwork between staff on a daily/nightly basis. Another enjoyable part of the job are the relationships you build with the kids, and the fun activities you get to do as a group when everything is going smoothly.

About Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services of Michigan (LSSM) creates communities of service. We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion – Read more

Lutheran Social Services Salaries