Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews in United States

Don't care for employees
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IANovember 8, 2015
They dont care about the staff, they only care of money. They dont care about the safety of anyone. staff is treated as if they are replaceable.
Enjoyable place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 22, 2015
The typical day was to go to the clients house and help them get dressed and prepared for the day. Then take them shopping or any other errand that they needed to run. The hardest part of the job was a lot of paperwork. I learned how to communicate with the mentally challenged more effectively. The most enjoyable part of my day was to see the clients happy with the way the day went. The smile on their faces when they went shopping or just got to leave the house.
Very challenging
Child Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJune 19, 2015
Assist youth in following a structured program. I have learned that working with juveniles is very challenging and high risk. Management was very compassionate towards youth's needs. Most of the co-works were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was not knowing when a youth's behavior would get out of control, and staff's well being would be at risk. The most enjoyable part was being there to try and make a difference in the youth's lifes.
Pros
Making a difference in the youth's life
Cons
No breaks
Working for LSS was fun for me. I consider LSS my family.
Quality Assurance Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working for LSS. I loved the foster children, the foster parents and even the bio-parents. The hardest part of the job was when the visiting hour was over between the bio-parents and their children.

The fun part was when you got to see the children coming for their visit with their parents. They are always excited.

There is a lot of paperwork involved working in the QA Department. but i enjoyed it. I did it for so long. I really miss it.
Pros
Very friendly place to work
Cons
Medical Benefit changed over the years a lot of co-payments
A good company to work for
Home Care Assistant II (Current Employee) –  10001 Touhy Avenue, Des Plaines ILJune 15, 2015
1. A typical day at work, was being able to complete all my tasks
2. what did I learn, how to be more compassion and good listener
3. Management, always took care of my needs
4. My co-workers we always got alone very well together
5. The hardest part of the job, was not enough hours
6. The most enjoyable part of the job. always meeting new people
and enjoying their company
Pros
If you leave the company, they will alway rehire you, when standing are good
Cons
Would take a shorter lunch to complete all my tasks sometimes
Just a job
MedCare Instructor (Former Employee) –  NCSeptember 25, 2015
I enjoyed this only taught class 3 times in a year. Class needed for foster parents review and RN required to teach. I enjoy teaching so it fit well, just a nice pay check not a permanent job.
Employer that cares
Human Trafficking Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2015
LSS gave me the opportunity to start my career without any struggles or disappointments. They make me feel important and proud of myself. The managements and co-workers are excellent. Only if the pay is better/ no increase.
A good team of co-workers is important to have
Foster Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  illinoisAugust 9, 2015
Good team work is vital particularly in the field of child welfare. There appears to have been a shift in this area. There is however an atmosphere and potential for advancement within the company.
A wonderful experience
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 15, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Lutheran social services and to be honest I would have never left if it wasn't for the staff, I loved all of my residents and built relationships that I will never forget, encountered memories that will forever be with me, and learned things that will help me in my future!
Pros
The residence, the job it self and my duties
Cons
The gossip between staff, the fact that employees weren't put first
Place of diversity
Administrative Support Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 28, 2015
At Lutheran Family Services we serve people from different culture and nationality every day. They refugees who need someone to assist them to express (languages) successfully their needs: Foods, Shelter, school, health, immigration regulations, and much more.
Pros
Family and friendly work place where diversity does not matter.
Cons
Difficulty to follow up with some clients cases, due the lack of accuracy of their information in their file.
Great intro to social services
Money Management Caseworker (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 27, 2015
Great managers, relaxed work environment, casual dress. More downtime than you would expect, but inversely can be extremely busy on certain days. Pay is good for Social Services job, but not much opportunity for advancement. Overall, would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an introduction to social services / public health careers.
Pros
Long lunch break, awesome office environment, great benefits
Great atmosphere and work relations
DSP (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNSeptember 1, 2015
Great place to work. Wants whats best for everyone, including employees and willing to work with an employee if they are having issues. Great team to work with.
Great place to work, learn and grow a lot
Senior Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNApril 9, 2015
Learned so much about homeless youth and the necessity for community interaction

Was able to help a lot of youth find resources and teach them coping strategies and stress management strategies

Built many relationships and was able to make a difference in many youths' lives

Was able to work independently with little supervision

Hardest part of the job is seeing kids who come from such broken homes struggle to find hope

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing them find it :) (and being allowed to be a part of it!)
Pros
Relationships, easy going working environment, flexible hours, free food, fun staff to work with
Cons
Required overnights, little benefits/lower pay, inconsistent shifts
Productive & Positive environment
Attendant Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDJune 21, 2015
All in all I love working for this facility. Very Flexible, management is very understanding in all aspects. Working at this facility I've learned that being patient with the children can really help them keep calm while in the facility.
tiding over job only
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 29, 2015
working for LSI in Ames is not easy. management is insecure and routinely belittles both clients and workers. the leadership team is more interested in the bottom line then the workers or clients. creativity is not accepted unless you know how to work the system.
my work experience at LSI was difficult but taught me a lot. there are very good workers at the center, management is just not willing to let them be their best.
Pros
some very talented workers
Cons
management, leadership, job culture, pay and respect
Good people to work with, liked planning everyday activities.
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 18, 2015
Good place to work. The people i worked with and the residents i served made the day go by in a pleasant way. Managing the kitchen and putting together a menu and making good healthy meals is the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job is their is no advancement and the salary never goes up.
Pros
free food, stable hours, little stress
Cons
no pay raises
Flexible hours
Unlicensed Family and Community Therapist (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WIFebruary 20, 2015
On a typical day I would complete a variety of various tasks, such as facilitate a team meeting, speak with other mental health professionals regarding services needed or those being provided, or meeting with a client for therapeutic mentoring services.

My co-workers are very supportive, which I have found very helpful.
Pros
flexible schedule and great coworkers
Cons
benefits and compensation are minimal
Great team work! Fun, hard working and dedicated staff!
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNFebruary 17, 2015
Review mail, data entry, lot's of phone work, meeting/greeting clients at the front desk, taking care of crisis files. The staff is fantastic they are all devoted and hard working team players! Management is always there to see if we have what we need to take care of our clients. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help all of our clients needs and the lack of appreciation for the help they do receive. The most rewarding part of my job is to let people know they have been awarded financial help with their heating bills and they are so happy & grateful!
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
temporary job
Very fun and relaxing environment
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNFebruary 19, 2015
I did the scheduling, intakes, greeting clients, billing, medical records, and basic office duties. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the clients and watching them improve and being part of that. The job is very rewarding and the co-workers that I work with daily are amazing!
Pros
helping others, being appreciated
Cons
short breaks, no coverage
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Rockwood/SouthgateJuly 24, 2015
The company was good on all fronts. The organization and reliability they showed were on par with any other group home environment I've ever worked in
Pros
abcd
Cons
abcd

Lutheran Social Services Reviews by Location