Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employer Reviews

Contractual work setting for substance abuse treatment
Psychologist, therapist and group facilitator (Former Employee), Marquette, MIOctober 26, 2013
Pros: set your own schedule and interesting variety of clients and needs
Cons: part-time, contractual with wide variation of income
Interesting work providing a variety of clinical services in the community; emphasis on substance abuse treatment to court-mandated clients.
Typical day as a Case Manager
Case Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2013
Pros: being able to effectively assist families rebuild relationships and family dynamics
Cons: limited resources that are available to our families that we service
Most days I am on call in case of an Emergency. Daily, I am responsible for assessing situations and must be able to make appropriate decisions that would benefit the families while working towards permanency. I have learned that behind each of us there is a story, whether positive or negative, our stories influence our decision making. The majority – more... of my team that I currently work with, we have worked with each other for over 14 years and I have worked with my current Supervisor for 18 years. We definitely have an excellent working relationship as well as friendship. I would have to say the most rewarding and enjoyable part of my job has been the fact that when children are taken from their parents, the parents are mad with the world and can be quite difficult to work with initially. I take pride in not being bias and developing a positive rapport with the parents that last far after their case has closed. This allows me to offer support and continued encouragement. – less
office work and production are my experiences
Refugee specialist (Current Employee), st cloud MNOctober 20, 2013
I have 7 years of experience of different works and different countries and different people. I know 4 different languages and more than 10 different cultures. I have an experience of both volunteering and regular works for an office and also production lines.........
Case Manager Title
Case Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
Pros: great staff
Cons: a challenging work environment
As a case manager at Lutheran Social Services I was responsible for a case load of 40 adults living in a transitional home, which was geared toward supported independent living. The case manager supported tenants that were overcoming homelessness mental illness and/or substance abuse. My duties included scheduling meetings with tenants to help support – more... them with any needs or concerns with public assistance, health care, or housing. This position developed skills in the area of research along with verbal and written communication. – less
Good Opportunity
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2013
This was a good place to start my career. I gained a lot of administrative skills while working for this company.
This is great agency. It gives you a chance to help where it is most needed.
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: company picnics, involving them in the special olympics, taking them to church and involving them in christmas pageants and special programs.
Cons: not enough time, there is so much to do.
Getting the clients ready for a regular day, such as prompting them to do correct hygiene procedures. Working with them in picking out clothing that match, correct eating habits. Providing structure at all times. My joy comes from seeing the outcome of my working with them seeing the joy on their faces when I give them complements on how they look and – more... how they put their put their talents to work with a little help from me. My co-workers and I work together with them and we provide structure they need most. The hardest part comes from knowing what and where they came from and the things that they endured.The end results which comes out positive which is my continuing committment to care. – less
LSS is a great social services company.
Manager, Information Technology (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 16, 2013
They manage retirement homes as well as helping people in need. They also manage adoption programs.

Lots of great people.
Great nurses here
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, PASeptember 15, 2013
Fantastic place to work. great Residents and nurses. Lovely community areas and pleasant environment.
Occupancy Specialist
Hud Certified Occupancy Specialist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 6, 2013
Pros: helping people
Cons: co- workers can sometime take forgranted of what they have.
This could be a nice place to work depending on who you are. There are very nice people that work for this company. And they help a lot of people.
great staff to work with.
Personal Care Assistant, Deborah Smith (Current Employee), Freeport, ILSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: close to home
Cons: short breaks, no raises
Helping people makes the job great. Supervising a great staff. Sending out HCA's to assist seniors.
A great staff to work with
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Sheboygan, WISeptember 5, 2013
Pros: staff and training
Cons: draining
I would still be here if I did not want to pursue a career in non profit. We got the opportunity to make a difference for several mentally challenged people and give them a new start. Love this organization.
Organization accomplishes great things for children and seniors.
Sr. VP of Human Resources (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 29, 2013
I have learned a lot about social services while working at this agency.
Social Worker (Current Employee), West Springfield, MAAugust 29, 2013
This job has given me the opportunity to advance in my skills and abilities.
Great people, not so great facility
Adult Outpatient Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee), Elgin, ILAugust 26, 2013
Pros: great clinical supervisor/mentor!
Cons: non-profit, low-paying
Unfortunately, as many non-profits go, it was not well-kept; however, the people who worked there were absolutely wonderful! I had to leave due to the low pay.
Productive and a fun work enviornment
Housekeeping/Homemaker (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2013
Working with elderly clients on an daily base cooking and cleaning for the clients transport clients on daily routine.
Management are good people they help you on any type of problems that you my have. the co-workers are good oriented people. the most enjoyable part of my job is to work with the elderly people learning new things everyday.
Luthern Social Services is a very good company to work for
Caregiver (Former Employee), Mesa, AzAugust 21, 2013
Pros: delightful people to work for and with
Cons: there were no cons here
Being a caregiver for my Mother, i worked for this agency and was treated wonderfully and always had any help, advice, supplies or anything else I needed. If I had a question or problem or anything really, they were always there for me. They were awesome in the training field and provided me with what I needed. I will always be grateful for all the – more... help and care they offered me. – less
Micro Managed
Therapist (Former Employee), Katy, TXAugust 20, 2013
Pros: giving back to the teens
Cons: micro managed by clinical director
I loved working for this organization. I got along well with the kids and staff. I didn't appreciate being second guessed and challenged on the decisions I made in the best interest of the child.
Rewarding and enjoyable job with kids in need of special support
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee), Red Wing, MNAugust 19, 2013
-Take care of children with disabilities (bath, feed, ambulate, medication administration)
-I learned that mentally challenged kids have so much to offer and have hidden talents that some people may pass by.
-Management is great
-Collaboration is key while working with my co-workers and I found that teamwork was a big part of this job
-The hardest part – more... was when the children would be in a behavior that was difficult to stabilize
-The most enjoyable was to get to see the kids learn and interact with you. – less
political instead of educating students
Teacher of students (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAAugust 17, 2013
For an educational institution, the administrative staff is more concerned with money intake than that of making sure students and staff are taken care of.
Easy if not monotonous job
Data Entry (Former Employee), South St PaulAugust 16, 2013
A typical day includes sitting in a basement for eight hours a day transcribing countless Employee paperwork

About Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services of Michigan (LSSM) creates communities of service. We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion – Read more