Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Amazing people to work with and for.
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Black River Falls, WIMay 22, 2015
I have nothing negative to say about this job. Co-workers, management and residents are all amazing. The work is rewarding and fair.
A wonderful experience
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 15, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Lutheran social services and to be honest I would have never left if it wasn't for the staff, I loved all of my residents and built relationships that I will never forget, encountered memories that will forever be with me, and learned things that will help me in my future!
Pros
The residence, the job it self and my duties
Cons
The gossip between staff, the fact that employees weren't put first
A day at bremwood
Youth Associate (Current Employee) –  Waverly, IAMay 9, 2015
Working at Bremwood can be fun and changelling all at the same time. I have switched positions and tried out in other work areas. Bremwood has been flexible. Working there you never know what your day is going to be. We have to be ready for quick change. During shifts we have to know where the residents are at all times. They should always be in staff sight. I have to pass medications on a timely manner. We have to provide meals. Groups are done daily as well. We provide support to residents. I've learned to have alot of patience with residents. I enjoy spending time with them and seeing them enjoy themselves. Toughest part of the job currently is being low in staff. It is also tough having fun activities planned out, but then being involved in safety issues for hours. It is also tough not talking about the injuries or dangers we are placed in with families. I have all been hit, bit, kicked, choked, concussed. I enjoy making a difference in the kid's lives. It is truly a great feeling.
Pros
Helping residents through the tough times, support from staff.
Cons
safety issues.
clients are fun
DSP (Current Employee) –  Richfield, MNMay 2, 2015
the part of the day i most enjoy is coming in and the residents want to know what you did while you were gone.

and the looks on their faces when you tell them
Place of diversity
Administrative Support Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 28, 2015
At Lutheran Family Services we serve people from different culture and nationality every day. They refugees who need someone to assist them to express (languages) successfully their needs: Foods, Shelter, school, health, immigration regulations, and much more.
Pros
Family and friendly work place where diversity does not matter.
Cons
Difficulty to follow up with some clients cases, due the lack of accuracy of their information in their file.
Great intro to social services
Money Management Caseworker (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 27, 2015
Great managers, relaxed work environment, casual dress. More downtime than you would expect, but inversely can be extremely busy on certain days. Pay is good for Social Services job, but not much opportunity for advancement. Overall, would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an introduction to social services / public health careers.
Pros
Long lunch break, awesome office environment, great benefits
Productive workplace
AP Specialist (Former Employee) –  MilwaukeeApril 27, 2015
It is very interesting to learn about the programs LSS supports.

Worked independent of others. Team environment.

Enjoyed supporting social workers who handle programs.
Pros
Team Environment
Cons
Mgt style
Productive Workplace
Community Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Weston, WIApril 23, 2015
I worked at Lutheran Social Services with handicapped and mentally challenged youth. I learned a lot about the various aliments of mental illness and disease and how the affected individuals cope
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
N/A
Great place to work, learn and grow a lot
Senior Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNApril 9, 2015
Learned so much about homeless youth and the necessity for community interaction

Was able to help a lot of youth find resources and teach them coping strategies and stress management strategies

Built many relationships and was able to make a difference in many youths' lives

Was able to work independently with little supervision

Hardest part of the job is seeing kids who come from such broken homes struggle to find hope

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing them find it :) (and being allowed to be a part of it!)
Pros
Relationships, easy going working environment, flexible hours, free food, fun staff to work with
Cons
Required overnights, little benefits/lower pay, inconsistent shifts
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 6, 2015
Managing attorneys at this non-profit organization are kind, hard working, and genuinely interested in seeing successful clients and happy co-workers.
Pros
Great attitudes
Cons
Short term
Great team work
social work (Current Employee) –  washington dcApril 6, 2015
No programs to attract and retain great employees, high turnover ratio because of it.
No real opportunity for growth.Real important work, however.
Great place to intern
Foster Care Intern (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIMarch 31, 2015
They don't take advantage of you as an intern and are extremely willing to teach everything they can. They also understand your position and offer plenty of support as well.
tiding over job only
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 29, 2015
working for LSI in Ames is not easy. management is insecure and routinely belittles both clients and workers. the leadership team is more interested in the bottom line then the workers or clients. creativity is not accepted unless you know how to work the system.
my work experience at LSI was difficult but taught me a lot. there are very good workers at the center, management is just not willing to let them be their best.
Pros
some very talented workers
Cons
management, leadership, job culture, pay and respect
Lutheran Social Services was my first choice in a location for my internship. It was an excellent experience.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
Lutheran Social Services-North was an excellent facility and Internship experience. I learned the professional and accurate way to work with recovering addicts,
Pros
Professional, knowledgeable staff
Cons
not a great place to work for
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, MAMarch 19, 2015
this company does not go the extra mile for theirs employees, they do not care about your feelings and your family life values. hate if you are in need of a short term gig ok, but I would not recommend this as a permanent job
Good people to work with, liked planning everyday activities.
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 18, 2015
Good place to work. The people i worked with and the residents i served made the day go by in a pleasant way. Managing the kitchen and putting together a menu and making good healthy meals is the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job is their is no advancement and the salary never goes up.
Pros
free food, stable hours, little stress
Cons
no pay raises
Flexible hours
Unlicensed Family and Community Therapist (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WIFebruary 20, 2015
On a typical day I would complete a variety of various tasks, such as facilitate a team meeting, speak with other mental health professionals regarding services needed or those being provided, or meeting with a client for therapeutic mentoring services.

My co-workers are very supportive, which I have found very helpful.
Pros
flexible schedule and great coworkers
Cons
benefits and compensation are minimal
Very fun and relaxing environment
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNFebruary 19, 2015
I did the scheduling, intakes, greeting clients, billing, medical records, and basic office duties. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the clients and watching them improve and being part of that. The job is very rewarding and the co-workers that I work with daily are amazing!
Pros
helping others, being appreciated
Cons
short breaks, no coverage
Great people with a great purpose
Respite caregiver (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TexasFebruary 18, 2015
Working with foster children and those in the process of adoption was both rewarding as well as hard. Seeing how so many children needed a good home. I learned to be more patient with children as well as adults and to be more sensitive to why people act the way they do.
Pros
learning about how the mind of a child works
Cons
long hours on some days.
Great team work! Fun, hard working and dedicated staff!
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNFebruary 17, 2015
Review mail, data entry, lot's of phone work, meeting/greeting clients at the front desk, taking care of crisis files. The staff is fantastic they are all devoted and hard working team players! Management is always there to see if we have what we need to take care of our clients. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help all of our clients needs and the lack of appreciation for the help they do receive. The most rewarding part of my job is to let people know they have been awarded financial help with their heating bills and they are so happy & grateful!
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
temporary job