Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Very productive in a positive manor
Dietary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYApril 26, 2017
I liked my job but I needed something new. I don't mind washing dishes but I do it at home and I don't like doing stuff I do in my own home it just gets really old for me and very tiring to do myself.
Pros
learning new techniques how to clean dishes
Cons
gets too old doing the same thing at home and at work
Boring
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COApril 24, 2017
Job was nothing but entering requests for checks. Boring. It was definitely not challenging enough for me. I don't really have anything else to say about this company.
Great Place to Work
Family Support Partner/ Parent Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIApril 23, 2017
Lutheran Social Services was a great place to work and great work environment. Great community service to the Racine County community. I learned the need to service the community.
Upper management is truly awful to work for.
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILApril 20, 2017
This agency is not at all concerned about child safety. They are only concerned with their "numbers" and putting children back in homes whether they are safe or not. My direct supervisor was good. She also became frustrated and left for another agency and took 3 or 4 other people with her.
I tried several times to meet and discuss my concerns with upper management but they refused.
benefits
Cons
no open communication
Great pay
Life Skills Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 19, 2017
GREAT PAY! The staff is great! Just keep in mind that these are children that have been pulled from their homes so most days are not going to be the best.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Your employer is Community Health Network.
Cons
Bad children. Only 30 minute breaks.
it was fun working with the foster parents.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 18, 2017
at first it was fun to work there, but than too much drama was going on. when brought up to director nothing was done so I decided to pursue other employment.
N/a
NCA/Home Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILApril 17, 2017
N/A it was a job, paid my bills and kept me from going hungry. I liked my patients but the company was not fair to work for. I like my manager she was a great person and did her best to keep us happy so we would stay on the job.
Pros
Cons
not fair
Snakes
Youth Therapeutic Day Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 16, 2017
There are a lot of snakes if you are not careful you may get bit. There are snakes that will look at you in the face and call and text you but bit you in different directions.
Excellent experience
Substance Abuse/Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 15, 2017
As I maintained IOP positions for this company for over 15 years is holds a special place in my heart. The autonomy and friendships developed with coworkers were the main positives.
good job but job security is iffy
Veteran program case manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHApril 11, 2017
great place, with good compensation. management is good. since its all grant based the job security is based on if there is funding. if no funding is available then you lose the job with no heads up
Place where front line staff makes a difference
Team Leader of Field Residential Cottage (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILApril 10, 2017
Overall good place to work with a team environment. Sometimes need to be a little bit more selective in the youth that they take in. Have excellent PTO although the 15 hours shifts are a monster on the weekend.
Pros
Excellent PTO
Cons
Low pay, no breaks or lunches
Facility
Behavioral Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2017
This was a very effective facility for adolescents.
I dealt with abused kids in an alternate school setting
Learned how to de escalate patients and talking them down
Non Supportive
Foster Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2017
Lutheran Social Services is an organization that has ventured in the many areas of social work. While I believe in the overall company, there are many issues that lie within the department I was working in. There was simply no support in the foster care Department , and more than likely currently is. There is no support from upper management emotionally and mentally. You will get drained very quickly because you are doing so many things without enough time or support. There is more paperwork than fieldwork, and yet you can complete both at the same time or effectively.
Pros
no pros besides your experience with the children
Cons
upper managment
They do good things.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIMarch 29, 2017
Lutheran Social Services is a great company with a healthy family atmosphere and a dedication to helping those most in need. I found the majority of the employees to be very welcoming and friendly individuals.
Lutheran social services is a good comapny to work for
Licensing Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 29, 2017
I have worked with fostering children and families. Have licensed CDH and ADH and supervised over 8 employees. Traveled thought out Arizona. Conducted home visit's on monthly bases, attended, CFT's, ISP's, Therapy appointments as well as court dates for all families
Pros
Loved working with families and children
Cons
The hurt that the children were takien away from thier own families
Enjoyable
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 29, 2017
Very enjoyable employeer. Very flexible (especially being a student) and willing to negotiate hours and days. Loved working with the clients I was given and was able to use my TR degree to help clients.
independent work atmosphere
Respite Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Winterset, IAMarch 27, 2017
able to make my own schedule and still spend time with my family while caring for an individual with disabilities and contributing to their involvement in the community
very stressful difficult job.
Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILMarch 20, 2017
This job is a very stressful job, very little direction. Very little support from upper management. caseloads are too high and caseworkers are overworked.
Pros
mileage reimbursement
Cons
poor management
wonderful company to work for
PCA (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHMarch 15, 2017
I really enjoyed working for this company. They were caring, understanding, and helpful. They would check in on you. I enjoyed the fact that I never went to a new clients house alone. My supervisor always attend the first meeting.
Good agency to work for
Foster Care Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 15, 2017
The job itself was stressful due to working with children and families in foster care. Management was awesome and very supportive to me as this was my first job out of college.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval