Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Seeing new and familiar faces
dining services assistant (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PASeptember 17, 2014
One of the many enjoyable things about working at Lutheran Social Services is getting to know everyone. I became very attached to many of the residents there, even the ones who couldn't speak. The majority of my coworkers were very friendly people and they were easy to get along with. The work could be hard sometimes but I can't complain because it always kept me busy and the day would always go by fast.
home like atmosphere
LPN/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, PAJuly 16, 2014
More of a home like feel then a nursing home. It was a really great group of people to work with. I worked third shift, on which we had a nightly crew of late night residents. The hardest part of the job was working with a minimal staff, which did not allow for a adequate amount of time to be spent with individuals. the most enjoyable part of my job was just being a part of each of the residents life on a daily basis.
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
management disconnection with work load
It was ok
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 11, 2013
I worked for this organization for 6 months and had three supervisors during my stay there. It was very hard to adjust to the organization with that much turn-over in managment. The administrative aspect ofthe organization was not put together well and caused a lot of issues which contributed to the managment turn-over. I had my own office which was nice but struggled to keep it to myself after a couple weeks due to over crowding in the office.
Pros
had my own office, great co-workers
Cons
high turn over of supervision.
Chalanged
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 18, 2012
A typical day on this job consited of providing lots of love to young teen mothers and their babies. What i learned on this job was the strengh that i had with in my self and how i could build trust and confidence in others. The management of this employer provided teamenship. The co-worker of this job was supportive to the teens. The hardest part to this job was maintaining authority. The most enjoyable part of this job was ensuring that each and every child in the home was provided with the love and support that they deserved.
Pros
flexability
Cons
pay, and schedule
Very challenging
Child Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJune 19, 2015
Assist youth in following a structured program. I have learned that working with juveniles is very challenging and high risk. Management was very compassionate towards youth's needs. Most of the co-works were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was not knowing when a youth's behavior would get out of control, and staff's well being would be at risk. The most enjoyable part was being there to try and make a difference in the youth's lifes.
Pros
Making a difference in the youth's life
Cons
No breaks
Useful experience
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 24, 2015
It was an amazing experience for me working with refugees and immigrants who came from different cultures and backgrounds.
I both learned and taught a lot of things through that volunteer mission.
I was always keen to share all what I gained from my past experiences with the stuff I worked with in order to create an interactive vocational atmosphere inside the institute I world for.
Pros
Free learning resources
Cons
Short breaks and early dismissle in case of emergencies
Enjoyable place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 22, 2015
The typical day was to go to the clients house and help them get dressed and prepared for the day. Then take them shopping or any other errand that they needed to run. The hardest part of the job was a lot of paperwork. I learned how to communicate with the mentally challenged more effectively. The most enjoyable part of my day was to see the clients happy with the way the day went. The smile on their faces when they went shopping or just got to leave the house.
A productive place to work in in regards to working with the children.
Teacher (Group Home Program (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 27, 2013
Working for Lutheran Social Services was a learning experience, I enjoyed working with the children as well with the young mothers of the children at Lutheran. I was able to help the young mothers recognize the importance of reading to their children and become part of the children's curriculum that i provided for the classroom and as well as the homework.
Pros
being part of a positive team at lutheran to empower lives of the young mothers in the group home
Cons
there was a budget deficit, i came out of pocket to provide educational material for day care, and was not compensated
Didn't work very long here.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 4, 2012
Worked in group home with 2 developmentally disabled adults. I worked shifts until evening. We fed and took care of the clients - administered medications and documented our shift as to their behaviors and/or issues, if any.

When behaviors got out of hand it was sometimes difficult to re-direct or prevent altercations.
Pros
clients functional, problematic at times, but fun.
Cons
pay and health benefits were minimal
Non Functional Environment
Lead Clinical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 12, 2014
When I first began to work here, I was a little thrown off by being made to pray during office meetings and the various religious posters on the walls. Then I though how great it would be to work in an environment who care about people. The workers there are all great but the majority of those in upper management are anything but...
Pros
co-workers
Cons
no holiday time off, threatening and hostile management
Rewarding Job help children in crisis but was not the job for me.
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILJanuary 6, 2014
Supervising group home activities, prepare meals, conduct recreational activities.

What I learned is that this was not a good fit for me and that the children had extreme behavioral issues.

Supervisors were erratic and co-worker would avoid duties to add stress.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with violent children.

Most rewarding part of the job was helping those children when you could.
Pros
free meals
Cons
supervisor and co-worker egos
Family oriented, good training and health benefits.
Certified Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJuly 30, 2013
Provided health care assistance, working w/different clients and learning new techniques from other emplyees to offer good care. Management was fair and training was good. Most co-workers were excellent except for some nurses. Hardest part was not having enough staff and we often worked overtime. Most enjoyable part was to see clients go home.
Pros
worked 35 hours a week, caring staff.
Cons
a lot of overtime and some co-workers could be very lazy.
Horrible
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2013
This company only cares about making money. They avoid spending money. No holiday ,no vacations. Hard to get a day off. Company loves giving last minute things. Not only are you in charge of the kids but you also do paper work. They call the program head start but it does not work as a head start, they work from 8-6 pm and then some kids go in at 7:30 am.
Cons
they dont pay enough, no holidays, vacations.
Dealing with the refugees from different parts of the world is challenging but knowing the culture they come with is interesting.
Job Developer (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 29, 2013
LSS is one of the largest refugee resettlement agencies in New England. It resettles refugees from various parts of the world. It provides case managemant, employment services, english classes, and legal assistance to the new Americans. It is my pleasure to work in this diverse environment. Unfortunately, for having a part time employment, I am looking for a full time position.
Pros
flaxible schedule
Sour retching despair
Certified Child Welfare Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 23, 2015
This company has higher than average turn over of staff with most Case Managers averaging less than 1 year of experience. Exceptionally long hours, unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished in 40 hours with 30 or more kids on case load of case manager.

Unprofessional behavior from Management towards those under them.
Pros
Nice hourly pay
Cons
unable to have a life outside of work
productive,fun,and positive energy workforce
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 4, 2015
•Attracts potential customers by answering product and service questions; suggesting information about other products and services.
• Opens customer accounts by recording account information.
• Maintains customer records by updating account information.
• Resolves product or service problems by clarifying the customer's complaint; determining the cause of the problem; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem; expediting correction or adjustment; following up to ensure resolution.
• Maintains financial accounts by processing customer adjustments.
Pros
good customer service, free meals
Cons
short hours
Place of diversity
Administrative Support Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 28, 2015
At Lutheran Family Services we serve people from different culture and nationality every day. They refugees who need someone to assist them to express (languages) successfully their needs: Foods, Shelter, school, health, immigration regulations, and much more.
Pros
Family and friendly work place where diversity does not matter.
Cons
Difficulty to follow up with some clients cases, due the lack of accuracy of their information in their file.
Caring atmosphere to work with handicapable clients.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Ada, MNOctober 27, 2013
A typical day at work would start by greeting the residents, preparing healthy meals, assisting with daily living cares, administering medications, documentation of activities per shift per resident, transport, lift, observe, take vital signs, and use first aid procedures.
Pros
felt at home with the residents, like caring for a family member on every shift.
Cons
road blocks due to financial or insurance coverage of cares for the clients.
Lutheran Social Serivces was a good working experience
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 26, 2013
Typing foster care/adoption reports, answered incoming calls, test and trained secretarial staff as needed, filing.

I learned about the foster care and adoption system.

The management I worked under gave me substantial training on the job and through outside conferences.

Worked well with the co-workers.

At first it was typing the reports, some were so sad, then eventually I adjusted.

Helping the clients we serviced.
Lutheran Social Services of ND
Temporary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDMarch 28, 2012
Awesome company to work for,
Everybody is so supportive,
personal and professional support,
Extremely well respected in community,
Typical work day is busy, depending on job,
Can be hectic but intensely rewarding,
Management is approachable & understanding,
Company spends time on staff development,
Best part was do things that made a difference,
Pros
multiple opportunities to change and grow.
Cons
restructured without my position.