Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews in United States

The Consumers
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNSeptember 21, 2015
some of the consumers really touched your heart. they were so loving and caring. it made working seem easy or felt like a part of a little family.
Pros
the consumers
Cons
at the end mangament was poor and did not advocate for the consumers as they should have.
Checking in Patient's to see providers
Staff Assistant/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NeAugust 18, 2015
Great place to work, great environment and staff is great to work with. Getting to know the patients is also great.

Get to check in the patients to see the APRN or Counselors, also setting getting clients signed up for services with LFS.

It is a very busy and fast paced environment and get to meet lots of great people.
Working for LSS was fun for me. I consider LSS my family.
Quality Assurance Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working for LSS. I loved the foster children, the foster parents and even the bio-parents. The hardest part of the job was when the visiting hour was over between the bio-parents and their children.

The fun part was when you got to see the children coming for their visit with their parents. They are always excited.

There is a lot of paperwork involved working in the QA Department. but i enjoyed it. I did it for so long. I really miss it.
Pros
Very friendly place to work
Cons
Medical Benefit changed over the years a lot of co-payments
Just a job
MedCare Instructor (Former Employee) –  NCSeptember 25, 2015
I enjoyed this only taught class 3 times in a year. Class needed for foster parents review and RN required to teach. I enjoy teaching so it fit well, just a nice pay check not a permanent job.
Enjoyable place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 22, 2015
The typical day was to go to the clients house and help them get dressed and prepared for the day. Then take them shopping or any other errand that they needed to run. The hardest part of the job was a lot of paperwork. I learned how to communicate with the mentally challenged more effectively. The most enjoyable part of my day was to see the clients happy with the way the day went. The smile on their faces when they went shopping or just got to leave the house.
Excellent Learning Experience
EMERGENCY SERVICES COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 9, 2014
I helped people in financial crisis. We helped families with rent, utilities, work clothes, or any other assistance needed. I learned a lot about writing grants and all that entails, The management was good, My co-workers were great and everyone worked together well. The hardest part of the job was seeing those in desperate need of help or they would lose their home, heat, or couldn't get to work because they didn't have any money left over for gas. It was a good experience for me there also because I had never had to stand up and present programs before large groups of people or defend our need for funding to grantor. I feel that was the most valuable learning experience I have had in my work history.
Pros
great staff
Cons
was emergency assistance only, never got to see what happened "after"
Flexible hours
Unlicensed Family and Community Therapist (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WIFebruary 20, 2015
On a typical day I would complete a variety of various tasks, such as facilitate a team meeting, speak with other mental health professionals regarding services needed or those being provided, or meeting with a client for therapeutic mentoring services.

My co-workers are very supportive, which I have found very helpful.
Pros
flexible schedule and great coworkers
Cons
benefits and compensation are minimal
Caring staff and very well organized!!
Direct support care professional (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 22, 2013
Working here was a very valuable learning experience. I met many good people. Co workers were great as well as residents. Also working with a very diverse culture was good as well.
Pros
great benefits and great workplace
Cons
people that would never receive visitors for long periods of time
Compassionate people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 9, 2015
The staff at Lutheran Social Services were genuinely caring people that are devoted to helping people. The focus of the LSS office I interned at was New Americans. Many of the employees themselves were immigrants whom had faced the challenges that their clients were dealing with. Staff were authentic and caring.
New Programming in Contra Costa County
Administrative Office/Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, CANovember 6, 2014
Contract management, answer phones, emails, process all deposits, collect rents from housing programs, interview potential residents for the transitional housing program.

That I needed more from a job, it was very low. I need to be busy during the day.

I enjoyed the management team and the relaxed environment.

My co-workers were fun and we did several events to promote relationships with all the program staff.

We worked 37.5 hours per week
Pros
helped homeless youth get off the streets and into housing.
Cons
not enough for me to do on a daily basis
Amazing people to work with and for.
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Black River Falls, WIMay 22, 2015
I have nothing negative to say about this job. Co-workers, management and residents are all amazing. The work is rewarding and fair.
A day at bremwood
Youth Associate (Current Employee) –  Waverly, IAMay 9, 2015
Working at Bremwood can be fun and changelling all at the same time. I have switched positions and tried out in other work areas. Bremwood has been flexible. Working there you never know what your day is going to be. We have to be ready for quick change. During shifts we have to know where the residents are at all times. They should always be in staff sight. I have to pass medications on a timely manner. We have to provide meals. Groups are done daily as well. We provide support to residents. I've learned to have alot of patience with residents. I enjoy spending time with them and seeing them enjoy themselves. Toughest part of the job currently is being low in staff. It is also tough having fun activities planned out, but then being involved in safety issues for hours. It is also tough not talking about the injuries or dangers we are placed in with families. I have all been hit, bit, kicked, choked, concussed. I enjoy making a difference in the kid's lives. It is truly a great feeling.
Pros
Helping residents through the tough times, support from staff.
Cons
safety issues.
Knowing you did just more than a job everyday
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHJanuary 12, 2014
I really enjoyed this job because I felt like I was truly making a difference. I was like a peer to the foster parents, because if they couldn't get in touch with their child's Social Worker, I was a willing ear to their frustrations. I loved our group of employees- they were a very dedicated and hard-working bunch of women. The hardest part of this job was hearing some of the stories told by the Social Workers in meetings. The most enjoyable part, which was a nice break for all, was we established a staff retreat day- we would go to the sea coast for day during the summer to have a nice lunch and participate in team building activities, or just talking.
Pros
feeling like your job made a difference everyday
Cons
being a non-profit, the compensation was on the lower side.
Productive, but stressful environment.
Residential Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 9, 2012
Assisted with daily operation of residential program to address behavioral health needs with adolescent males. I was able to learn how various family issues or situation contribute to adolescent behaviors. Management and co-workers were supportive, but at times there were difficulties with maintaining staff coverage and consistency in the home. The hardest part of the job was increasing staff support and consistency in order to maintain daily function of the group homes. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to increase hope and stability in some of the residents in the group homes.
Pros
being apart of the residents progress and watching them reunify with family.
Cons
not having consistent staff and management to ensure progress and growth in the group home.
Great atmosphere and work relations
DSP (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNSeptember 1, 2015
Great place to work. Wants whats best for everyone, including employees and willing to work with an employee if they are having issues. Great team to work with.
Social work is a hard business-LSI tries to support their workers but between physical distance and changes in the "system" it is a challange
Licensing caseworker (Former Employee) –  Denison, IAAugust 8, 2012
A great deal of writing of reports-allowed to work at home and your own schedule-(Not a good working environment for social workers). Management was usually available when needed. Travel to potential foster/adoptive parents. Limited contact with co-workers. It was wonderful to meet families that are willing to step up and help others. It was a struggle to be so isolated from co-workers. Everyone is always so busy doing their part of the job that "getting together" was a challenge
Pros
set your own schedule-be able to work from home-great company to work for
Cons
lack of co-worker contact-not being supervised by the company you work for
case worker
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 10, 2014
making lunch and dinner. watching clients children if at work or school and not on unit
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no raises
flexibility is the only perk
caseworker (Current Employee) –  Lutheran Services in IowaFebruary 4, 2013
Management is disconnected and unavailable. They spend their days driving around the state going to meetings but will not take the time to stop and say hello to employees even when they walk right past an office door. Communication is done almost completely through emails so if you work here, you need to make sure you are willing to be flooded with email messages and very little contact with people. Most people stay because of work flexibility- in other words they "work from home" (writing notes, etc on computer) putting in half days and not feeling guilty because their wages are so low. Stay away!
Pros
capability to work from home and flex hours
Cons
everything else
Fast Pace Job
Youth Specialist /Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  1525 North Ritter AveAugust 25, 2014
Fast pace job, can be stressful at times. Learn more about youth with disorders and personal issues in life. Management can be non-caring and not consistent enough for this type of field. Co-worker can be more compassion at their jobs than just a pay check. The hardest part is when you cant help a youth get to the other place in their journey, the enjoyable part is when you have successfully help an youth and you see it on their face,
Pros
that you get to break bread with the youth have a conversation with them/
Cons
you dont get your own personal break and when you do its only 30 minutes.
Very flexible working environment
Lead Clinician (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 3, 2014
There are three counselors who have a caseload of 17/18 children each for the program. We can host 50 children. We provide individual and group counseling for the children. We also host a community meeting for the needs of the children. I have learned how the government and state level intercedes for the children. Management staffing of the cases is important so that as a team we can find solutions to the cases of the children. The most enjoyable part of the job is that these children get to be with their families.
Pros
flexability
Cons
healthcare

Lutheran Social Services Reviews by Location