Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Lutheran social services is a good comapny to work for
Licensing Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 29, 2017
I have worked with fostering children and families. Have licensed CDH and ADH and supervised over 8 employees. Traveled thought out Arizona. Conducted home visit's on monthly bases, attended, CFT's, ISP's, Therapy appointments as well as court dates for all families
Pros
Loved working with families and children
Cons
The hurt that the children were takien away from thier own families
Enjoyable
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 29, 2017
Very enjoyable employeer. Very flexible (especially being a student) and willing to negotiate hours and days. Loved working with the clients I was given and was able to use my TR degree to help clients.
independent work atmosphere
Respite Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Winterset, IAMarch 27, 2017
able to make my own schedule and still spend time with my family while caring for an individual with disabilities and contributing to their involvement in the community
very stressful difficult job.
Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILMarch 20, 2017
This job is a very stressful job, very little direction. Very little support from upper management. caseloads are too high and caseworkers are overworked.
Pros
mileage reimbursement
Cons
poor management
wonderful company to work for
PCA (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHMarch 15, 2017
I really enjoyed working for this company. They were caring, understanding, and helpful. They would check in on you. I enjoyed the fact that I never went to a new clients house alone. My supervisor always attend the first meeting.
Good agency to work for
Foster Care Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 15, 2017
The job itself was stressful due to working with children and families in foster care. Management was awesome and very supportive to me as this was my first job out of college.
Job was demanded, nice people to work with as a team.
Facility/Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILMarch 7, 2017
Again; "things to do list" out the window at very beginning of the day. A typical day were being confronted with several unexpected issues on your plate at the same.

I learned not to get upset, but to stay calm and to put forth my very best at resolving the matter which was at most demand and to follow this pattern through out the day. Furthermore; keeping in mind that new opportunities are challenging, but a condition favorable for attainment of new knowledge and outlooks on managing your days for future unprepared circumstances.

The hardest part of the job was trying to deal with the lack of communication from upper management. Try to think for them on issues because of the communication failure.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when the work I did made a different/ or impact the company goal and when I could do something to help someone else to achieve their goal for the better of the company.
Pros
I was a salary staff, therefore as long as my job got done my time there at the office was not written in stone, but flexible.
Cons
An hour lunch and two 15mins breaks paid by the company. Healthcare was good, cost reasonable.
Awesome to work with these educationl,compassionate people.
Medication management (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 4, 2017
Every child had different needs and challenges. Every day was new and exciting and educational. I was able to work with parents,teachers,doctors,social workers and others in the community.
Pros
Worked from home.
Cons
Worked 24/7
Client-Centered Environment
Case Manager, Basic Center (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIFebruary 27, 2017
In business for over 100 years, LSS provides a vast array of services to Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.

Committed to providing services to at-risk populations.
Pros
Many programs in Wisconsin
Cons
Fewer programs in Upper Michigan
very poor management
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  lutheran social servicesFebruary 16, 2017
management is very poor not very person centers like they claim. to much family working together. very poor co workers. lots of call ins or no shows that get away with it.
Good job atmosphere
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 16, 2017
Nice place to work, clean, friendly. Good staff, management was decent. Decent food for residents. Nurses work well with other staff.
Pros
Meeting new ppl
Cons
Uneven shifts
Interesting clientele, fun and hardworking co-workers
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHFebruary 14, 2017
Met with homeless people, assessed their situation, assisted in meeting immediate needs for shelter, food, clothing, etc. I learned homelessness can happen to anyone. I met some really wonderful , interesting and different people. It was hard when addiction issues created an inability to move forward. The staff was hardworking and fun.
Pros
great staff
Cons
difficult situations for the folks being served
Unstable company to work for
Designated Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 13, 2017
Hours were very long for the salary offered. The organization is very mis-managed and untrusting. They give offers and then take them away. Even though it is suppose to be non-profit. The Upper Management and CEO receives most of the money. Nepotism is a common practice.
Cons
On constant call
I love my co-workers
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILFebruary 11, 2017
LSSI overall has been a great place to work overall. The Illinois state budget is concerning overall when some of LSSi's budget relies on the state budget for its funding.
great place
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 7, 2017
Its a really great place to work at. They are really understanding of problems and issues. The school itself is well ran and helps special needs students.
not the best environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILFebruary 6, 2017
minimum support for staff, extremely high turnover,lacking upward mobility, low morale,staff is asked to handle issues that arise without from management
Pros
working with clients
Cons
no breaks, poor staffing
Easy to use your PTO.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIFebruary 2, 2017
I worked overnights so didn't really deal with any other staff. Not a very fun work environment. Didn't agree how they ran the program.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Compensation
If only they had supervisors that were actual supervisors
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IAJanuary 24, 2017
I am a Family Support Worker and I feel I can provide more constructive output on the job and be more productive in making the employees here much more willing to come to work than my own supervisors. The chain of command it not what it should be. Policies change based on the employee, which creates a hostile work environment. Everyone loves the actual job itself, but not the company.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
They can ground you to the office
Average place to work
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2017
Hard to get proper training from Manager. Every day is very busy. Very hard to implement your inputs. Lot of control over your ideas. Workplace culture is ok
N.A
Education Advocate (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 16, 2017
It was alright. Some times it was very hard to work 90 hours a week and not get compensated as well. The work is rewarding and full of opportunities for development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval