Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employer Reviews

Provide assistance and help for those in need for the state of Illinois
Development Associate - Cornerstone Foundation (Current Employee), Des Plaines, ILJuly 16, 2013
I work with the foundation for Lutheran Social Services of IL which requires me to work with 35 Board members on nearly a daily basis. I am also the first contact for bequests coming in to the agency as part of working with the foundation.
management has no respect for staff member
Head Chef (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 16, 2013
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK WAS WONDERING IF YOU WERE NEXT TO BE WRONGFULLY FIRED.

MANAGEMENT HAS NO RESPECT FOR STAFF AND USES A LOT OF PROFANITY.

PERFORMING DUTIES THAT WERE NOT IN YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION .

THE ENJOYABLE PART OF THE DAY WAS GOING HOME
Dreadful
case worker (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 14, 2013
Pros: instant health insurance
Cons: 6 weeks before your first paycheck
This place was horribly mismanaged by heartless people who cared very little about their employees.
Significant role of familes in early childhood education.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2013
Critical role of the teacher in supporting children development and learning.
Great group of people to work with
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2013
A wonderful place to work. The staff is great!
My typical day would be to check my email, Print a copy of the Doctor's schedule, Call clients to remind them of their appointment, Gather data for the Productivity Report, Enter demographics of the clients into CareLogic, Help staff in other departments.
I have learned some Excel and CareLogic.
Just a – more... great atmosphere to work in. – less
Amazing Entry-level Job
Caseworker, Services for People with Disabilities (Current Employee), Waterloo, IAJune 30, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, relaxed atmosphere, supportive team of co-workers and management
Cons: lack of job security in entry level positions, pay and advancement opportunities could be higher
Let me just say, I love this job! The hours are flexible, you can pick up as many/few clients as you can handle, and the supervisors are always there for you. The pay is not excellent, but it is good for someone who is working on getting their degree or just getting out of college and searching for something more permanent.
The training is great and, – more... if you stick it out long enough as a member of an entry-level position, there are opportunities to move up. My supervisors even try to alert me if they get knowledge of advancement opportunities that they think I might be suited for.
The hardest part of the job is that it lacks stability. There is no opportunity for overtime and sometimes consumers are lost to completing agencies or growing up and heading off to a group home. That means you are out hours unless/until you can find another consumer to make those hours up with and that is not always the case. Management tries to give you extra paperwork when this happens if you ask for it, but that is also not always available and they only give it to you if you have the productivity to spare.
Overall, great job! Would recommend it only to someone who is in/recently out of college if you are going for the entry level positions. If you qualify for a more advanced position in the company, however, go for it! – less
Eventful workplace with poor management
Social Work Case Aide (Former Employee), Decatur, ILJune 27, 2013
A typical day at Lutheran would include picking up and transporting children to supervised parent/child visitations, documenting behaviors seen during visits, redirecting negative punishment/parenting, documenting visits, and transporting children back home. During my work at Lutheran I learned to always have my guard up and to better distinguish honesty – more... in individuals. Management at Lutheran happened to be very poor. Management was never available or willing to help in any times of need by employees. The hardest part of being a case aide was witnessing all of the negative parenting skills. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with children. – less
A productive place to work in in regards to working with the children.
Teacher (Group Home Program (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 27, 2013
Pros: being part of a positive team at lutheran to empower lives of the young mothers in the group home
Cons: there was a budget deficit, i came out of pocket to provide educational material for day care, and was not compensated
Working for Lutheran Social Services was a learning experience, I enjoyed working with the children as well with the young mothers of the children at Lutheran. I was able to help the young mothers recognize the importance of reading to their children and become part of the children's curriculum that i provided for the classroom and as well as the homework.
Lutheran Social Serivces was a good working experience
Office Manager (Former Employee), Southfield, MIJune 26, 2013
Typing foster care/adoption reports, answered incoming calls, test and trained secretarial staff as needed, filing.

I learned about the foster care and adoption system.

The management I worked under gave me substantial training on the job and through outside conferences.

Worked well with the co-workers.

At first it was typing the reports, some were – more... so sad, then eventually I adjusted.

Helping the clients we serviced. – less
Excellent place to work and great work atmosphere
Family Reunification Worker (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIJune 24, 2013
Able to make own schedule with clients for the most part.

Excellent interaction and work relationships with co-workers
Great place to work in general.
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 19, 2013
The variety to the day is a welcomed challenge.
The overall training and staff development could better.
team work
Refugee Specialist (Former Employee), Sterling Heights, MIJune 18, 2013
the management wasn't so qualified and workers was not co operatives
Love this Job
Translator (Spanish/English) (Former Employee), Bismarck, NDJune 17, 2013
Pros: be independent.
Cons: nothing
Typical day for me was helping people to communicate with the language, the Management was good and make feel so welcome and comfortable. Nothing hard about this job and did enjoy every moment.
Productive Work place
Maintenance Assistant (MANPOWER) (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 13, 2013
Work day varies

Management was good

enjoyed my co workers

Had fun while working with different people
Horrible
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 11, 2013
Cons: they dont pay enough, no holidays, vacations.
This company only cares about making money. They avoid spending money. No holiday ,no vacations. Hard to get a day off. Company loves giving last minute things. Not only are you in charge of the kids but you also do paper work. They call the program head start but it does not work as a head start, they work from 8-6 pm and then some kids go in at 7:30 – more... am. – less
Crisis Counselor
County Crisis Counselor (Former Employee), Shawano, WIJune 11, 2013
Pros: worked one week, off the next, good salary, good vacation.
Cons: sometimes called out in the middle of the night & to go in to work.
I would take the place of the day time counselor and attend to any needs during the night. I also did education at the jail and the probation office. I would make arrangements for people who needed to be hospitalized. I also worked with the chronically mentally ill,. It had quite a variety o components to it.
Social Work
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee), Rockford, ILJune 7, 2013
Pros: flexibility, the love of helping others
Cons: pay/compensation
Just like any field its a lot of work for little pay. Since the state started doing budget cuts my program was cut and we weren't receiving any raises.
Not a great job
Juvenile Tracker (Former Employee), Minot, NDJune 5, 2013
You work with high risk children who got in trouble with the law. Zero benefits and very little pay make this job difficult to keep unless you truly want to help children.
positive work environment
Resident Assistant (Current Employee), York, PAJune 5, 2013
I really enjoy working at Lutheran Social Services, the work environment is very positive.
nice facility
Certified Nursing Assistant Patient (Former Employee), York, PAJune 4, 2013
frequent management turn over
inconsistent application of policy

About Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services of Michigan (LSSM) creates communities of service. We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion – Read more