Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employer Reviews

Luthern Social Services is a very good company to work for
Caregiver (Former Employee), Mesa, AzAugust 21, 2013
Pros: delightful people to work for and with
Cons: there were no cons here
Being a caregiver for my Mother, i worked for this agency and was treated wonderfully and always had any help, advice, supplies or anything else I needed. If I had a question or problem or anything really, they were always there for me. They were awesome in the training field and provided me with what I needed. I will always be grateful for all the – more... help and care they offered me. – less
Micro Managed
Therapist (Former Employee), Katy, TXAugust 20, 2013
Pros: giving back to the teens
Cons: micro managed by clinical director
I loved working for this organization. I got along well with the kids and staff. I didn't appreciate being second guessed and challenged on the decisions I made in the best interest of the child.
Rewarding and enjoyable job with kids in need of special support
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee), Red Wing, MNAugust 19, 2013
-Take care of children with disabilities (bath, feed, ambulate, medication administration)
-I learned that mentally challenged kids have so much to offer and have hidden talents that some people may pass by.
-Management is great
-Collaboration is key while working with my co-workers and I found that teamwork was a big part of this job
-The hardest part – more... was when the children would be in a behavior that was difficult to stabilize
-The most enjoyable was to get to see the kids learn and interact with you. – less
political instead of educating students
Teacher of students (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAAugust 17, 2013
For an educational institution, the administrative staff is more concerned with money intake than that of making sure students and staff are taken care of.
Easy if not monotonous job
Data Entry (Former Employee), South St PaulAugust 16, 2013
A typical day includes sitting in a basement for eight hours a day transcribing countless Employee paperwork
Refugee Specialist
Refuge Specialist (Current Employee), Sterling Heights, MIAugust 13, 2013
I like to work here with refugees, help finding job for those who are new at the country
Positive experience with an opportunity to grow as a counselor
Counseling Intern (Former Employee), Belleville IlAugust 13, 2013
Pros: gained a plethora of experience
The counselors were very professional and allowed me to absorb as much information possible for the time I spent with them. I recommend this site for anyone wanting to intern and learn from experienced counselors that are willing to share their knowledge. The hands on experience is priceless.
Rewarding work
Youth Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 12, 2013
Each day varies greatly. Some management is very helpful and supportive and others not so much. Co-workers create a lot of drama.
Demanding Job
Full time Site Team Leader/ Caseworker (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: milage is partially reimbursed, and ongoing training provided and paid for.
Cons: no offical breaks during shifts, and pay is low.
LSI is a non profit organization that provides and encompasses many different service lines. That being said it would not be fair to give the entire organization a bad review. The position of Site Team Leader is essentially 2 jobs. An STL satisfies the role of a direct support professional 4 days a week as well as caseworker duties one day a week. I – more... understand that this is generally the opposite at other agencies. A typical direct support day involves providing supervision and services to individuals in their homes and in their community. Teaching independent living skills and coordinating services from staff and outisde agencies. A typical office day consists of holding and attending meetings, updating files and documents, completing various reports, completing various forms of documentation and billable contact notes, scheduling client appointments, scheduling staff shifts, and all other duties as assigned. I have learned patience, crisis management skills, supervisory skills, and various teaching skills. I will not comment on management at this time. Co-workers are good hearted people who are great to work with. The hardest parts of this job are addressing cleint and staff issues and scheduling shifts. The most enjoyable part of this job is watching a client accept the services provided and prospering because of your efforts. – less
It was ok
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, MIAugust 11, 2013
Pros: had my own office, great co-workers
Cons: high turn over of supervision.
I worked for this organization for 6 months and had three supervisors during my stay there. It was very hard to adjust to the organization with that much turn-over in managment. The administrative aspect ofthe organization was not put together well and caused a lot of issues which contributed to the managment turn-over. I had my own office which was – more... nice but struggled to keep it to myself after a couple weeks due to over crowding in the office. – less
Everyday is to challenging
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), new yorkAugust 11, 2013
I am currently working for a non profit organization with co workers who have poor management and no teaching skills which makes my job harder.the most enjoyable part of the job I love the kids .. I feel i am over worked and under paid . working with challenging. kids also there is no teaching going what I love to do. i feel like a babysitter not an – more... educator.also the administration there sucks too much rudeness. – less
Internship
Case Manager (intern) (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 10, 2013
I loved doing my internship at this location. I learned a lot of new information.
CNA (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2013
Cons: not being in a facility or hospital for career advancement
Oppurtunity to work one on one with clients
I LEARNED TO BE ATTENTITVE A COMPASSIONATE FOR CLIENTS NEEDS
THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB WAS HELPING CLIENTS TO MAINTAIN DAILY DUTIES
Rewarding job working with teens
Truancy Court Liaison (Former Employee), Duluth, MNAugust 9, 2013
A typical day at this job would be connecting with parents, teens, school personnel primarily to discuss why a teen is absent from school. Referrals come from the Duluth Schools to me as to the amount of days a teen had been absent from school.
I would talk with the teens and all involved to find out reasons and then work with a team of professionals – more... to seek out resources for the child/ren to return to school.
Last case resort was to take them to court if the child continued to miss school.
I learned that kids do not miss school because they don't like it, that there is much more happening in that child's life than just school work.
Management was supportive and there for any problems and questions I might have.
Co-workers were knowledgeable and easy to talk to, had the same compassion for their work as well.
The hardest part of this job was working with children from drug/alcoholic homes where the parents were not there for them and consequently the youth were running and doing what they wanted. It takes time to get these problems worked out if everyone is on board with wanting the help.
Most enjoyable was getting to know the kids and their families. Getting to take native youth to cultural activities. – less
Personal Experience
Family Group Decision Making Facilitator (Former Employee), Duluth, MNAugust 9, 2013
The staff love what they do for the children they serve. They work extreme hard to build relationships with community members who are looking to make a change.
Unit Manager
Program Manager (Former Employee), Nachusa, ILAugust 7, 2013
I was in charge of training, scheduling, enforcing policy and procedure. Also provided group and individual education for at-risk youth.
Great Work Hours
Conditional Release Case Manager (Current Employee), WisconsinAugust 5, 2013
You have the choice of working for home and be able to flex your work hours.
Great organization
Refugee Specialist (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MIJuly 31, 2013
I worked with Burmese refugees, it was so rewarding to work with such a great population.
Family oriented, good training and health benefits.
Certified Nurse Aide (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYJuly 30, 2013
Pros: worked 35 hours a week, caring staff.
Cons: a lot of overtime and some co-workers could be very lazy.
Provided health care assistance, working w/different clients and learning new techniques from other emplyees to offer good care. Management was fair and training was good. Most co-workers were excellent except for some nurses. Hardest part was not having enough staff and we often worked overtime. Most enjoyable part was to see clients go home.
Fun and Relaxing
Senior Youth Worker (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNJuly 27, 2013
Pros: works with my schdule
Cons: pay
I love working here. I enjoy helping youth. I wish there was a program like this when I was a teen mom.

About Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services of Michigan (LSSM) creates communities of service. We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion – Read more