Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2016
I did not like working for this employer. The company is under staff and they over work there employees. The pay is not enough for the work they require of you.
Enjoyed learning new tasks and experiences.
Nursing Secretary (Former Employee) –  York, PASeptember 29, 2016
Scheduled employees hours and overtime as well as their vacation. Worked in Kronos to do payroll. Working for a Non-Profit does not offer high wages. Hardest part of the job was bonding with the Residents and then they pass away.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Dealing with Death
Excelant
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXSeptember 12, 2016
Enjoyed working for this company doing great works the staff are pleasant the children are memorable actually helping the community and those children
Cons
fun, laid back place to work
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  York, PASeptember 9, 2016
This was the first real job i have had and weis is a great place to work while taking classes. The work was easy and a learned alot about customer service. mostly worked by myself, management for the most part was easy going.
Productive Work Environment
Accounting Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 10, 2016
The work environment was very productive, there was always work that had to be completed. My boss would always be there if I needed help with anything or had a question about anything.
Placement for foster children
Family Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 2, 2016
•Case Manager for up to 25 foster children and 13 foster families
•Conducted monthly home visits with foster children and foster parents
•Developed and implemented monthly child service plans.
•Worked in collaboration with CPS to establish conservatorship for the child
•Responsible for on-call incidents twice per month.
•Conducted home evaluation reports for the safety of foster children.
Pros
Great for those looking to work with children
Cons
Work/life balance is challenged
No support from administration. No concern for children.
Teacher- Autism (Former Employee) –  Wytheville VaJuly 29, 2016
Working at LFSVA as an Autism Teacher was one of the worst experiences of my life. The children were amazing and I met some amazing service providers during my three years there. Helping the children through big and small victories is amazing. However, administration offers no support or feedback, no criteria for success or failure. There is no training at all for staff members who are hired in with no qualifications at all. The requirements for assistant teachers and aids are a high school diploma or GED and that's it. So when they are brought to you with no experience or training it makes an already stressful job even more so.
This company is just poorly organized, staffed and barely run as an actual company. To be honest it resembles a circus to outsiders and insiders, both.
My advice is to stay away. This job will bring you down and probably not last long.
Pros
Children are amazing to work with.
Cons
No breaks. No training. No set goals for advancement or success. Poorly ran company
Very easy, simple job.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
Working with Lutheran Social Services was fairly easy. The environment was very mellow and easy going. I had very nice co-workers who praised me for my ability to use Microsoft Office and make spreadsheets.
Enjoyed the clients
Community Living Specialist/Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJuly 1, 2016
I learned how to run a house hold working in group homes, how to cook, etc. I also enjoyed taking clients out into the community. One manager I did not get a long, but was able to transfer to a different home which worked out better. The hardest part of the job was cleaning up clients after they soiled themselves and dealing with difficult behavior,.
Pros
Some down time to work on homework
Cons
Low pay, odd hours
Long hours.
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IowaJune 20, 2016
Long hours. Great coworkers. Not enough training. No typical day, everyday is different. Low pay. Hardest part too much paperwork, not enough time for clients.
Personl experience
Assisting residents (Former Employee) –  Falconer, NYJune 12, 2016
Management tended to play favorites in my opinion.
Typical day consisted of meetings going to your assigned job
I stayed to my self for the most part
Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the residents
Hardest part of the job was having to deal with the different smells in the beginning
Pros
Vending Machine with fresh food, had great hours
Cons
Co-workers were not always trust worthy
Behavioral health services
MSW Internship (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 23, 2016
Counseling clients, counseling skillls, coworkers were great pepole,there were no hard parts at this cite,enjoyed working with clients
Wonderful
CTA/ Family Support Specialist/Tracker (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NEApril 15, 2016
Great group of individuals, who are truly there to listen, give me advice to better my self and help individuals who needed my assistance
Ok
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 13, 2016
Very private business, unhappy workers and the business workers, are not pleasant only with the customers. Its a pilates that you can workout for free, and be able to do because, it's part of your job.
Pros
Free workout
Cons
Unhappy people
Balance
Statewide Manager of Program and Staff Development (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 2, 2016
A good employer for providing work/life balance. Management.is responsive and strives to assure that employees are engaged.
Adopting
Adoption (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 31, 2016
going through tow adoptions was the most stressful yet emotional part of my life. I can say I actually know what it feels like to do this. One of our babies had a cleft pallet so we also understand the part of multiple surgeries and many doctors appointments. I feel this is where I need to go in life. I feel it is my place to help people just like myself. I can sympathize and comfort them yet guide them to be strong. I have some unique experiences that would make me perfect for this job.
Pros
having two healthy children to spend the rest of my life with.
Cons
cost of adopting
Mission Wasn't Followed
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 28, 2016
My concern with this organization is that the mission was not the top priority. The people who served were very committed to their role. However, the overall goals were not connected to the mission of the company. There has been changes since my time there. However, at the time, I found it very difficult. There was a unique culture at the time and although I adore the work that is produced through LSI, it was not a good opportunity for all involved.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Lack of consistency
Dont work here unless you want bed bugs
Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, OHMarch 23, 2016
the worst place in the world to work! Staff is passive aggressive and talk about you behind your back. The shelter in Lancaster Ohio ran by LSS is filled with bed bugs and roaches. You never move up and you never get weekends off! No health insurance and pay is 9.00 a hour! Not worth it!
Great work place with room and traing for advancement
Group Home,Day Support, Asst Admin to Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bedford County, VAMarch 9, 2016
I enjoyed working for this company. I learned a lot. I found them to be very supportive and willing to listen. I felt they cared about their employees and the individuals in our care.
Pros
education
Cons
distance of travel
great place
I volunteer for I Help Shelter (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 18, 2016
they help the homeless out alot it is a great place to work i love helping the ladys out and make sure that they have someone to work so they can have a place to stay at night
Pros
luches and a place to stay at night
Cons
not getting paid on time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Lutheran Social Services Reviews by Location