Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employer Reviews

Refugee Specialist
Refuge Specialist (Current Employee), Sterling Heights, MIAugust 13, 2013
I like to work here with refugees, help finding job for those who are new at the country
Positive experience with an opportunity to grow as a counselor
Counseling Intern (Former Employee), Belleville IlAugust 13, 2013
Pros: gained a plethora of experience
The counselors were very professional and allowed me to absorb as much information possible for the time I spent with them. I recommend this site for anyone wanting to intern and learn from experienced counselors that are willing to share their knowledge. The hands on experience is priceless.
Rewarding work
Youth Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 12, 2013
Each day varies greatly. Some management is very helpful and supportive and others not so much. Co-workers create a lot of drama.
Demanding Job
Full time Site Team Leader/ Caseworker (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: milage is partially reimbursed, and ongoing training provided and paid for.
Cons: no offical breaks during shifts, and pay is low.
LSI is a non profit organization that provides and encompasses many different service lines. That being said it would not be fair to give the entire organization a bad review. The position of Site Team Leader is essentially 2 jobs. An STL satisfies the role of a direct support professional 4 days a week as well as caseworker duties one day a week. I – more... understand that this is generally the opposite at other agencies. A typical direct support day involves providing supervision and services to individuals in their homes and in their community. Teaching independent living skills and coordinating services from staff and outisde agencies. A typical office day consists of holding and attending meetings, updating files and documents, completing various reports, completing various forms of documentation and billable contact notes, scheduling client appointments, scheduling staff shifts, and all other duties as assigned. I have learned patience, crisis management skills, supervisory skills, and various teaching skills. I will not comment on management at this time. Co-workers are good hearted people who are great to work with. The hardest parts of this job are addressing cleint and staff issues and scheduling shifts. The most enjoyable part of this job is watching a client accept the services provided and prospering because of your efforts. – less
It was ok
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, MIAugust 11, 2013
Pros: had my own office, great co-workers
Cons: high turn over of supervision.
I worked for this organization for 6 months and had three supervisors during my stay there. It was very hard to adjust to the organization with that much turn-over in managment. The administrative aspect ofthe organization was not put together well and caused a lot of issues which contributed to the managment turn-over. I had my own office which was – more... nice but struggled to keep it to myself after a couple weeks due to over crowding in the office. – less
Everyday is to challenging
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), new yorkAugust 11, 2013
I am currently working for a non profit organization with co workers who have poor management and no teaching skills which makes my job harder.the most enjoyable part of the job I love the kids .. I feel i am over worked and under paid . working with challenging. kids also there is no teaching going what I love to do. i feel like a babysitter not an – more... educator.also the administration there sucks too much rudeness. – less
Internship
Case Manager (intern) (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 10, 2013
I loved doing my internship at this location. I learned a lot of new information.
CNA (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2013
Cons: not being in a facility or hospital for career advancement
Oppurtunity to work one on one with clients
I LEARNED TO BE ATTENTITVE A COMPASSIONATE FOR CLIENTS NEEDS
THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB WAS HELPING CLIENTS TO MAINTAIN DAILY DUTIES
Rewarding job working with teens
Truancy Court Liaison (Former Employee), Duluth, MNAugust 9, 2013
A typical day at this job would be connecting with parents, teens, school personnel primarily to discuss why a teen is absent from school. Referrals come from the Duluth Schools to me as to the amount of days a teen had been absent from school.
I would talk with the teens and all involved to find out reasons and then work with a team of professionals – more... to seek out resources for the child/ren to return to school.
Last case resort was to take them to court if the child continued to miss school.
I learned that kids do not miss school because they don't like it, that there is much more happening in that child's life than just school work.
Management was supportive and there for any problems and questions I might have.
Co-workers were knowledgeable and easy to talk to, had the same compassion for their work as well.
The hardest part of this job was working with children from drug/alcoholic homes where the parents were not there for them and consequently the youth were running and doing what they wanted. It takes time to get these problems worked out if everyone is on board with wanting the help.
Most enjoyable was getting to know the kids and their families. Getting to take native youth to cultural activities. – less
Personal Experience
Family Group Decision Making Facilitator (Former Employee), Duluth, MNAugust 9, 2013
The staff love what they do for the children they serve. They work extreme hard to build relationships with community members who are looking to make a change.
Unit Manager
Program Manager (Former Employee), Nachusa, ILAugust 7, 2013
I was in charge of training, scheduling, enforcing policy and procedure. Also provided group and individual education for at-risk youth.
Great Work Hours
Conditional Release Case Manager (Current Employee), WisconsinAugust 5, 2013
You have the choice of working for home and be able to flex your work hours.
Great organization
Refugee Specialist (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MIJuly 31, 2013
I worked with Burmese refugees, it was so rewarding to work with such a great population.
Family oriented, good training and health benefits.
Certified Nurse Aide (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYJuly 30, 2013
Pros: worked 35 hours a week, caring staff.
Cons: a lot of overtime and some co-workers could be very lazy.
Provided health care assistance, working w/different clients and learning new techniques from other emplyees to offer good care. Management was fair and training was good. Most co-workers were excellent except for some nurses. Hardest part was not having enough staff and we often worked overtime. Most enjoyable part was to see clients go home.
Fun and Relaxing
Senior Youth Worker (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNJuly 27, 2013
Pros: works with my schdule
Cons: pay
I love working here. I enjoy helping youth. I wish there was a program like this when I was a teen mom.
Quick paced and productive
Foster Care Supervisor (Current Employee), Flint, MIJuly 26, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: emotionally taxing
Each day is different while working in the child welfare field. No two days are alike. The group of employees with LSSM is very close knit, and support one another a great deal.
Caring staff and very well organized!!
Direct support care professional (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNJuly 22, 2013
Pros: great benefits and great workplace
Cons: people that would never receive visitors for long periods of time
Working here was a very valuable learning experience. I met many good people. Co workers were great as well as residents. Also working with a very diverse culture was good as well.
A very enjoyable place to work.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Brainerd, MNJuly 22, 2013
I passed medications, performed daily living cares, prepared meals, performed house cleaning, and provided transportation to and from medical appointments. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction between the clients and I. The hardest part of the job was losing a client.
Fast paced environment and required multi-tasking and prioritizing
Foster Care and Licensing Supervisor (Former Employee), Champaign, ILJuly 16, 2013
I enjoyed working with my co-workers. I also enjoyed working directly with the families.
This was a very rewarding Job!!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), International Falls, MNJuly 16, 2013
This Job was very rewarding I loved working with the individuals that lived in the home I worked at.

About Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services of Michigan (LSSM) creates communities of service. We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion – Read more