Lutheran Social Services

Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Lutheran Social Services of ND
Temporary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDMarch 28, 2012
Awesome company to work for,
Everybody is so supportive,
personal and professional support,
Extremely well respected in community,
Typical work day is busy, depending on job,
Can be hectic but intensely rewarding,
Management is approachable & understanding,
Company spends time on staff development,
Best part was do things that made a difference,
Pros
multiple opportunities to change and grow.
Cons
restructured without my position.
Great mission, values, and agenda
Field Organizer (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 26, 2013
A typical day consisted of traveling to different cities across Illinois to have one-on-one meetings with the leaders of partner, or prospective partner, organizations. Meetings would primarily consist of discussions of mutual goals, struggles, and possible future collaboration with a particular emphasis on group statewide advocacy projects.
Pros
fantastic and fullfilling work
Cons
no benefits and poor job security
Great intro to social services
Money Management Caseworker (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 27, 2015
Great managers, relaxed work environment, casual dress. More downtime than you would expect, but inversely can be extremely busy on certain days. Pay is good for Social Services job, but not much opportunity for advancement. Overall, would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an introduction to social services / public health careers.
Pros
Long lunch break, awesome office environment, great benefits
Flexible hours
Unlicensed Family and Community Therapist (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WIFebruary 20, 2015
On a typical day I would complete a variety of various tasks, such as facilitate a team meeting, speak with other mental health professionals regarding services needed or those being provided, or meeting with a client for therapeutic mentoring services.

My co-workers are very supportive, which I have found very helpful.
Pros
flexible schedule and great coworkers
Cons
benefits and compensation are minimal
Crisis Counselor
County Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Shawano, WIJune 11, 2013
I would take the place of the day time counselor and attend to any needs during the night. I also did education at the jail and the probation office. I would make arrangements for people who needed to be hospitalized. I also worked with the chronically mentally ill,. It had quite a variety o components to it.
Pros
worked one week, off the next, good salary, good vacation.
Cons
sometimes called out in the middle of the night & to go in to work.
Seeing new and familiar faces
dining services assistant (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PASeptember 17, 2014
One of the many enjoyable things about working at Lutheran Social Services is getting to know everyone. I became very attached to many of the residents there, even the ones who couldn't speak. The majority of my coworkers were very friendly people and they were easy to get along with. The work could be hard sometimes but I can't complain because it always kept me busy and the day would always go by fast.
Upper Managment
Direct Support Professional Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNNovember 8, 2013
There is no room for minorities to move up in the company.
There is favoritism when it comes to applying for jobs.
They do not recognize there supervisors achievements.
There benefits are to expensive.
Supervisors and DSP's have the hardest job and get paid the smallest salary.
Not enough benefited positions.
Pros
making a difference in the lives of people with disabilities
Cons
no chance for advancement.
Everyday is to challenging
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  new yorkAugust 11, 2013
I am currently working for a non profit organization with co workers who have poor management and no teaching skills which makes my job harder.the most enjoyable part of the job I love the kids .. I feel i am over worked and under paid . working with challenging. kids also there is no teaching going what I love to do. i feel like a babysitter not an educator.also the administration there sucks too much rudeness.
Didn't work very long here.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 4, 2012
Worked in group home with 2 developmentally disabled adults. I worked shifts until evening. We fed and took care of the clients - administered medications and documented our shift as to their behaviors and/or issues, if any.

When behaviors got out of hand it was sometimes difficult to re-direct or prevent altercations.
Pros
clients functional, problematic at times, but fun.
Cons
pay and health benefits were minimal
Dedicated, hard working social service agency
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roslyn, PAAugust 24, 2012
This social service agency strives to help families, children and seniors live a happy life. The staff shows true dedication to its mission. The after adoption program was well thought out. The benefits were great but salaries were well below standard.
Pros
lots to do to help make the agency a better place.
Cons
program was split between two agencies making it difficult to supervise.
Non Functional Environment
Lead Clinical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 12, 2014
When I first began to work here, I was a little thrown off by being made to pray during office meetings and the various religious posters on the walls. Then I though how great it would be to work in an environment who care about people. The workers there are all great but the majority of those in upper management are anything but...
Pros
co-workers
Cons
no holiday time off, threatening and hostile management
Sour retching despair
Certified Child Welfare Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 23, 2015
This company has higher than average turn over of staff with most Case Managers averaging less than 1 year of experience. Exceptionally long hours, unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished in 40 hours with 30 or more kids on case load of case manager.

Unprofessional behavior from Management towards those under them.
Pros
Nice hourly pay
Cons
unable to have a life outside of work
Flexible when dealing with family and education. Good mangament and available hours
Support Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJune 5, 2014
Lutheran Social Services is a flexible job when dealing with education, additional jobs, or family. The position provides consistent work hours dealing with getting customers to and from appointments, assisting w activities of daily living along with teamwork.
Pros
Flexible and consistent; Good management
Cons
Limits to advancement;
Productive and fun environment to work place with supportive management.
Substitute Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2015
Great company to work for. My job entails working side by side with the Head Teacher to promote children learning in a safe environment that allow student to learn, explore and be creative in their thinking while developing their skill.
Pros
Great benefit for full time staff and free lunch provide
Cons
May be require to work over schedule shift
A wonderful experience
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 15, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Lutheran social services and to be honest I would have never left if it wasn't for the staff, I loved all of my residents and built relationships that I will never forget, encountered memories that will forever be with me, and learned things that will help me in my future!
Pros
The residence, the job it self and my duties
Cons
The gossip between staff, the fact that employees weren't put first
Great group of people to work with
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2013
A wonderful place to work. The staff is great!
My typical day would be to check my email, Print a copy of the Doctor's schedule, Call clients to remind them of their appointment, Gather data for the Productivity Report, Enter demographics of the clients into CareLogic, Help staff in other departments.
I have learned some Excel and CareLogic.
Just a great atmosphere to work in.
Good people doing Great work with the underprivileged
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 14, 2012
LSS is not a bad place to work. You have people there that are willing to help you and teach you new things. Depending on your department, your coworkers are very friendly and have a team oriented approach, other departments not so much. I enjoy working with my team and helping the people out in the field, getting our clients the things that they need.
Good people to work with, liked planning everyday activities.
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 18, 2015
Good place to work. The people i worked with and the residents i served made the day go by in a pleasant way. Managing the kitchen and putting together a menu and making good healthy meals is the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job is their is no advancement and the salary never goes up.
Pros
free food, stable hours, little stress
Cons
no pay raises
Fun learning with children
Teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2014
The children never forget the people who helped them particularly when I was struggling and showing patience, kindness, understanding and skill. They'll remember you for your whole life and as I’ve often found in my profession as a Principal or as a teacher, making a difference to a child’s life is a reward that’s just simply priceless and you really can’t put a value on it.
Excellent Training Opportunity
FAMILY SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEJuly 10, 2015
This job entailed working with clients and their children who were involved with HHS and role modeling healthy living habits to the families. Report writing and team meetings were part of this job. Reporting to HHS if there is a problem with family dynamics was a very important part of this position.
Pros
Excellent Training Environment
Cons
Poor Management