Lyft

Lyft Employee Reviews

A typical day
Driver/Mentor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2015
Making my own hours was great for me. I also really got to know the city I live in. There were hardly any riders that I couldn't stand. The only thing that sucks is you have to pay for your own gas and rarely get any tips .
Fun place to work with good clients
Driver (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 4, 2015
Lyft is a great place to work because you can set your own hours and work as much or as little as you see fit. I typically start work at 7:30am in San Francisco because the mornings are the most busy during the week. Ive learned that being yourself and doing your best goes a long way. The hardest part of the job is making sure your care is in great working order and very clean. The most enjoyable part is the communication between the customers.
Nice Part time Job for college students
Part Time Ride Sharer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 4, 2015
The new platform of ride sharing helps numerous of college students who do not have their own transportation. It also helps the poor college students, like me, to pay off some of the student loans. It helps both ways, and people benefit from this new APP.
Don't plan on making any money
Driver (Current Employee), SOCALJuly 27, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Make millionaires rich using your time and car
The $35/hr is total BS. This is completely deceptive advertising. "Make" at best enough to break even after you subtract cost of owning, driving and insuring your vehicle of .575/mile. After five 50 hour weeks, I broke even subtracting my costs. I earned absolutely nothing. They push this BS knowing to those who have no concept of costs and are desperate for a paycheck. Once this ripoff surfaces Lyft will be loaded with class action suits.
here is the reality:
driver (Current Employee), AtlantaJuly 27, 2015
Pros: if you love to sit and listen to music at night
Cons: don't look to make more than $40 profit beyond depreciation and gas for 4 hours work, which is less than a second year employee at mcdonalds
After taking into account depreciation on your car, you might make $200 to $400 a week if you were to work 12 hours a day because there are a lot of hours where you won't be busy. If you were to do lyft full time you would need a new car every 3 years before the repairs sideline you. If you were to work 12 hours a day and did make $400 a week beyond gas and depreciation, you could have made $720 a week if you filled up your schedule working at fast food restaurants. So the bottom line is: if you are willing to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week you would make almost twice as much filling your work schedule up working at fast food restaurants. So if you work, say 4 to 5 hours a a night as I do, I make anywhere from $0 to $100 a night before gas and depreciation, but most nights I make about $40-$50 a night before gas and depreciation, so it pays for my chinese dinner and a couple of movies with the wife per week.
experiencing handling customers and driving them
Driver (Current Employee), DMVJuly 23, 2015
Pros: i can work for all my desire hours
Cons: slow days
I go to work and wait for a customer to call I take them to their location and wait for another call. I have excellent customer service experience and work great with people all around. I speak multiple languages as well. The most joyable part of my work is when i get something done and its a big accomplishment.
Great part tim work
Mentor/Driver (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 15, 2015
Being a rideshare driver is an excellent part time job. I wouldn't recommend driving full time. It is great for college students as there is no schedule and you drive as much or as little as you want.
You are your own business
Driver (Current Employee), SacramentoJuly 13, 2015
It was mostly driving around waiting for the phone app to sound off the hardest part was waiting but once you get around that, the job can be quite enjoyable, plenty of time to think and you meet interesting people.
I enjoy working in a Call Center with a cubical area :)
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 9, 2015
Pros: healthcare, benefits, hours, overtime, income
Cons: Temp assignment through a Temp Agency
I'd prefferably stay in a Call Center environment and never look for another job again, but unfortunatelly this was only a temp help position for extra people and only lasted a little over a year. I am currently seeking the same job position in a Call Center environment. I enjoy resolving conflict and providing customer service over the telephone and getting the benefts and hours of a full-time position, with no worries :)
Great Employer
Driver (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CAJune 22, 2015
Pros: Independence, Not tied to a punch clock, Not tied to a desk.
Cons: Gas, wear and tear on your car.
Great because you can make your own schedule but you will spend more in gas then you make driving around waiting for your app to send a request for a lift. Customer's are usually nice and you get to spend the majority of your time outside listening to the radio in your car. You can network with all sorts of people and make new friends to.
Awful! Just stay away!
Driver (Former Employee), Nashville, TnJune 18, 2015
Pros: Set your own hours
Cons: Wear and tear on car, VERY low pay! False advertising!
My heading above says it ALL! Just stay away! Awful company, awful pay! Do yourself a favor and steer clear of Lyft as a company!
Great job! If you live in a thriving metropolis and own your car out right.
Professional Driver (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 9, 2015
Pros: Work when you want, for as little or as long as you want.
Cons: no control over comission, no control over rates, no safety net, you are on your own.
I love Lyft and always will. However this is not a job, it's your own business, and one that you do not have full control over. My only real complaint is that just when you think you have a good thing going they change the prices without much notice. My experience with Lyft (over two years and 5,500 rides completed) has been a rollercoaster ride, one minute you are on top of the world and the next struggling. In San Francisco Lyft has started many new programs like "Line" that are nothing short of genius but the rest of the world has to catch up before that can work in every city. I recently moved – more... within the state thinking I would be able to take my job with me albeit for less money but it turned out I collect less in fares than I spend in gas let alone insurance, car payments, phone bill, not to mention the very real cost of living. I now find myself with car payments I can't afford and all the bills are due. At some point Lyft will be a rewarding and gainful experience anywhere you take it and lets be real, they didn't tell me to move, but today its only for the big cities.
One last thing, I have not met a person I didn't like at Lyft HQ, Really great people are at the helm, they just need to learn to steer more evenly or as my father used to say "smooth tiller adjustments son".
Cheers,
Micah – less
Great way to meet new people and find hidden gems around the city
lyft driver (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 19, 2015
Pros: set your own hours
Cons: sitting in a car for 8+ hours
Work can range from anything from a birthday party to some one who is just late for work and cannot take the bus. You will deal with plenty of people that have been drinking but they are the people who should be getting a ride from some one any way so that is to be expected.
Individual Boss
Independent Contract Driver (Current Employee), Tempe, AZMay 19, 2015
Pros: Own Boss. Work when you want. Freedom.
Cons: Not for people that desire a structured enviroment
You're your own boss. Pick your hours. Make money. You need to have a stable and newer car, with 4 doors. I would suggest this job to anyone that is looking to pick up more cash.
Independence
Lyft Driver (Independent Contractor) (Current Employee), Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: Breaks, Time off, flexible scheduling
Cons: long waits in between pick ups, peak hours are early morning or late evenings
Work/life balance is a great thing with Lyft. Super flexible scheduling and opportunity for some great customer service.
NO PAY, LOTS OF STRESS
DRIVER (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2015
Pros: NOTHING
Cons: ALL
This company is just like Uber. All expenses are on the driver, Lyft takes 20% commission. You can not absolutely make a good living with this job. There is no job security, they can and will cancel your account at any time and for any reason they need to come up with. They work exactly the same as Uber. You invest an expensive car to do this job, and all you get back is minimum wage pay, plus trashing your car. Customer service is no existent, money is not even close to decent. Anybody can make a better living doing something else and WITHOUT depending on your car or trashing it. Insurance won't – more... cover you, and think about this, if your car breaks, or crashes you simply will be out of work since your car is your job. Tickets or anything else if YOUR PROBLEM, Lyft won't help your or back you up for anything. Lyft and Uber have pending law suits, THEY ARE GREEDY AND EXPLOIT ITS DRIVERS.
This job is very stressful. Picking up people who are always late or not ready causes you to wait for them often in red zones, watching your back to avoid tickets, often there is no parking anywhere, so you double park always, dealing with streets always being repaired, loud or rude riders, people in a hurry stressing you out to make it there on time, people giving wrong directions, carrying big things, stressing you out how little time they have to get somewhere, smelly or drunk people, etc, etc, It's not fun as they want to make it look. – less
Fun Easy Way to Make Additional Income
Diver (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 30, 2015
Lyft is excellent because you are essentially and independent contractor with the company. They offer you "jobs" or fares and you choose whether or not to take them.

A typical day at work consists of ensuring that your car has appropriate trade dress (the mustache) and that it is clean and free of clutter.

I personally then stock it with water, prizes and candy and I'm on my way.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making your own schedule.

The hardest part of the job is giving away 20% of earnings.
I set my own hours
driver Partner (part-time) (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 29, 2015
Pros: I have interesting conversations. I set my qwn break sched.
Cons: No health care .
I get great ratings and reviews by my passengers and a lot of tips. Very low stress. Its great. I meet some nice people. The good thing is I provide a needed service and I love doing this. I like meeting new people and interacting with everyone! Its really a fun job to have. And at the same time I get paid to learn the city better and I get people thanking me all the time.
Excelent part time/ Supplimental Job
Driver (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 21, 2015
This was fun job to fall into, but the pay can vary to point of loosing money on a work day, but it can also be very rewarding. I would not recomend doing full time as your primary income. Need to be a secure people person, the job isn't as scary as moth think, have met tons of awesome people. Great for a side job.
great money f you have the time and car
Independent Contractor/Driver (Former Employee), Modesto, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: great potential
Cons: super long hours
pick up people, drop them off, meet lots of new people, need to be able to keep yourself entertained in your downtime, lots of wear on your car, other drivers tend to be kinda fake
Employees