Lyft Employee Reviews

Flexible hours
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 18, 2018
When they tell you to wait, and that you are paid to wait, you make pennies on the dollar. picked up a customer who added another stop to his trip. I had to wait for over an hour for the passenger and ended up getting 14 dollars for the entire ride and no tip whatsoever. There should be a minimum fee for waiting for a certain length of time. The driver shouldn't be left at the mercy of a customer.
Also when I dropped off a passenger that involved a tunnel, I the customer was only required to pay one way for the toll. I had to pay the toll on my return trip. Not cool! If I cross the tunnel to drop off customer I shouldn't be forced to pay the toll on the return trip.
Another thing I would really like is for LYFT to offer a way to cancel a trip after accepting it. Some customers are just rude and should be canceled. The customer is not always right.
Pros
set my own hours
Cons
No pay
Its a job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 18, 2018
It is a great job. If you like to sit and wait for somebody to walk slowly and not thank you for the convince that they do not need to worry about any more then this is the job for you.
Fun, productive work environment.
Data Science Recruiter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 18, 2018
I really enjoyed the company culture and leadership. The positive values are aligned with individual and collaborative growth. Active efforts made to improve employee experience.
Pros
Sign on bonus and flexible working hours.
Great for experience
Driver (Current Employee) –  Yucaipa, CAJanuary 18, 2018
Lyft is a good company if you like to drive a lot and have little time for yourself. You can work for an hour to as long as you want. You make your own hours and put lots of miles on your car.
Pros
easy money, you make your own hours
Cons
tons of miles on personal car, lots of down time
Fun
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Every passenger is unique in their own way. Have a great time meeting new people and having fun conversations. Get to work your own hours when driving.
Pros
Work your own hours
Cons
Have to except each and every ride
Being your own boss is great
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 17, 2018
I love it but my time has come...It`s time for me to move on to something different and better typical day is just riding around listening to my music,enjoying myself. I`d take my breaks when I choose to..i learned how to balance books what it takes to run a business, hardest part would be to deal with the drunk crowd late nights if your not a people`s person... Most enjoyable part of the job is taking breaks whenever I choose and getting right back to the money ...freedom at it`s fineness
Pros
You pay all out of cost expenses
Cons
been able to set your own schedule
Great work hours
Personal Driver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 17, 2018
This company is nice to work for as a part time position. If you try to use this as a full time position, the pay is not enough to maintain a decent life.
Average Job
Independent Contractor in Transportation (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 17, 2018
okay job overall however you have to sometimes drive not feasible distances to pick up clients.it was a gamble most of the time to find decent rides when sometimes you'll spend 35 minutes to make 9 dollars. not the best route in life if i say so myself.
Pros
extra money
Cons
far pickups
A great source of secondary income
Contract Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 17, 2018
Lyft is hard if you wish to do it full time, it is not something I would recommend doing full time given the competitive nature and amount of people who can just as easily come into the work space.

Many people can tell you the 'best times' to work when in reality there isn't really a 'best time'. There are sweet spot times you should be aware of and even then they can fluctuate based on the amount of people looking for rides and the amount of people working that day.

The job itself isn't that stressful if you keep up with it and it makes for a great way to earn yourself some stories based upon the people you drive around with. Ultimately it can enrich your social life and help boost your income if you have a stable primary job and just use this on the side when you have the time or fortitude to jump on and do it.
Pros
Choose your own schedule, freedom to go where you want
Cons
Not a primary source of income, cutthroat/competitive working atmosphere.
Great part time
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Great place to work for part time income. Although, if you don't have a car that has at least 28 mpg. Be careful and mindful of wear and tear of your vehicle. Monthly oil changes and be prepared to change your brakes more frequently if you work full time.
Job like no other
Driver (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2018
Be your own boss
Set you own schedules and times
See people of every social class and ethnics backgrounds
Diversity is a must
But I love talking to strangers
Pros
learning your city or town
Cons
No PTO
below average
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 15, 2018
Cleveland drivers make $9-13/hour(not including sign-in bonus).
Not enough job(ride requests) in Cleveland.Good things that you make your own hours...
Pros
own hours
Cons
low salary
Driving was fun
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJanuary 15, 2018
I like driving, I liked making my own hours and meeting new people. I gave over 1500 rides in Arizona when I worked for Lyft and it's something I would do again for part-time work but with no benefits its hard to maintain in life.
part time job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2018
If you are looking for running money then this is the place to work.
If you are planning to raise a family bad idea unless you never want to see them because you will be working very long hours every day just to make ends meet.
Pros
Pocket money
Cons
keeping track of all your expenses to file taxes at the end of the year.
Good Hours
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 14, 2018
Used Lyft as a part-time job while looking for my next fulltime job. It is pretty fun meeting all the riders and other drivers. I would work their again.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring
Flexible hours
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 14, 2018
It's a good place to start and also if you need quick money. The pay rate is not the best and if you are using your own car which many of us do, it's hard on them with no compensation in that regard.
Pros
You are making your hours
Cons
You never know the drop off location until you pick up, and the pay rate
Great job for the hard working dedicated driver
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 14, 2018
Lyft's rate of pay has decreased and the streets are saturated with drivers. Uber is taking a lot of the business now as well. Difficult to make a decent profit, without working countless hours.
Pros
Meet great people, create own hours
Cons
You have to work tons of hours in order to see a decent profit
Great Company
Lyft driver (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 13, 2018
They have provided me with a job. You can make great money if you are in the right area and Lyft treats you great. The best part of it all is you get to know your community.
Minimum wage if that
Driver (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 12, 2018
You risk everything
2500 deductible if you get in accident... I never did
Low wages even though i am top 1 percent driver
Some tips no thanks to lyft ... My car is reason
The bonuses hard to get
You have to be a scammer to succeed a little
Wear and tear on vehicle
Miles on vehicle will depreciate value at a high rate
Maintenance and oil changes monthly
Your personal insurance will drop you if they find out
You are doing lyft or uber
Etc etc
This job is for someone desperate that can't add common sense numbers
Pros
None really. Work own hours but to make minimum money must work peak and 50 plus hours
Cons
Many to list. Car value drops 1000$a month. Miles. Wear tear. Gas. Insurance. Unsafe
Only work here for side money
Full-time Driver (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2018
I am very disappointed in working for Lyft. I love the ability to work when I want but the kicker is you have to work all the time to make decent money. You are better off working a minimum wage job and make more money. I drive with my own vehicle and it is not worth the upkeep of your vehicle with your own money. They offer discounts but nothing worth using. They treat you like a contractor they wish they didn't have. No direct number to get in touch with them over the phone, you have to go through online prompts which is stressful in a crisis situation. I live in the District of Columbia Maryland Virginia area. D.C. is the only place you can really work and get rides consistently but then over 80% of those rides are short rides and you make NO MONEY. This company is geared more towards the customers and not the staff. Commission they take out is way too high for the small amount of money you make. Example. You give a 5 minute ride and they will charge the customer $5.00. You will receive $3.75 after they take their commission then once you deduct your own taxes you are left with $3.52. Lets say you give 25 rides that cost this amount that's only $88. Here is where you lose even more money. In a 8 hour shift on average I give 10-15 rides. So you have to drive ALL DAY LONG to guarantee some kind of income. The worst part about it is most of these customers feel so entitled that they treat you like a servant and most WILL NOT tip. Without tips this job is NOTHING. They will give you a 5 star rating but will not give you at least a dollar for your hard work? Just really make sure  more... you know what you are getting yourself into.  less
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Work way too hard to make no money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9