Lyft Employee Reviews

I enjoyed driving meeting new people, and places throughout the valley.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 13, 2017
I usually drove near the Tempe Market Place and parked waiting for a client in need. The people were always friendly. I learned about the places around the valley that I would not normally travel to, like Mesa Gateway Airport. It also improved my knowledge of the valley roads. They hardest part of the job for me was choosing clients. We have the option to decline or accept picking up a particular client. I never declined, so it made me nervous sometimes. You never now for sure what type of person will be getting into your car. However, I enjoy people as a whole, and some of my clients were very interesting, with stories to tell. That was fun.
Pros
You can set your own hours. It pays well if you stay out late into the night.
Cons
Their territory didn't start until I drove 20 minutes towards the center of the valley.
Great for Passengers and Lyft. Horrible for Drivers/Owners of Cars
Former Driver (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 13, 2017
The ONLY thing I liked about driving for Lyft is the people I met. Do not even consider this as a full-time job. I had been doing this for about 4 months. I consistently operated at a loss. As a result of this I no longer drive for them. I was driving a 7 passenger van, with the fares so low it just wasn't worth it.
The fees are so high and the fares so low. Everyone keeps saying how cheap it is. That is because drivers are basically doing this for NOTHING.
At least with Uber you have the option of operating as UberXL only. You don't have this option with lift. One time I was sent 14 miles away for someone going around the corner to Walmart. My van gets about 16 miles to the gallon, so with expenses I did this this trip at a loss.
We were expected to give A-1 service at a cut rate. I was told at my mentor session to let the passengers control everything. This included the music, heat and air conditioning.
The also want me to have extra phone chargers, bottled water, and candy or mints.
The rating system is terrible. If you don't get 5 stars from everyone you rating quickly goes down and you risk being deactivated.
There are constantly problems with the app. It tells you that you have lost contact and to move to a place with better coverage.
So my best option was to get out of it, and your best option is to avoid it like the plague!!!
Pros
Easy to get paid.
Cons
Too much driving to pick up passengers. Wear and tear on YOUR vehicle.Not enough compensation.
Fun independent way to earn a living.
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2017
Great fun place to work if you love driving. Can earn a ton of extra cash. Must love meeting strange people and making new friends. To many bad reviews can get you kicked out the community.
many cancelations, longer drive to reach client than paid fare
Rideshare Driver (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 10, 2017
I love the driving and people part but 25%, of every trip (even if you lost $$ by having to pick up every rider and the destination is secret until you are face to fce with the client....then lyft doesn't have a phone so every question takes 1-3 weeks for response.
Pros
great people to talk with, the pleasure of driving
Cons
25% commission
Be your own boss
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJanuary 9, 2017
As a job that is largely organized online through apps, you rarely meet your management in the field. Almost never go to the office. For street teaming, it's up to you, your motivation, and people-skills. You have to be a walking, talking, billboard until someone engages with you. But the base pay is decent, and the potential earnings are good. They are especially good in terms of $ / time.

Events generally bring you closer to the managing folks who are full-time employees with Lyft. They have a great culture, they are very friendly and fun people, and they know how to make an event successful without a drop of stress. Just show up with the right attitude and be prepared to schmooze.

Only negative is that as a Brand Ambassador you are an independent contractor and technically not inside any career or benefits track with Lyft. But that can change if you have a drivers' license and apply to the PT position as a Team Lead, which drives the marketing van.
Pros
Lots of independence, freedom to work your own way
Cons
Often working alone without more support than text messages to boss at office
less than min wages
driver (Current Employee) –  los angeles,c aJanuary 7, 2017
I have been with Lyft for months and I may conclude you can not earn a living with that business.
5 min to 15 min to pick up a customer for a $3.5 fee.
It is usually a loss.

The only good for this business is KILLING time if you have nothing else to do.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
income too low
A real college student experience. Sacramento, ca (lyft hiding the real total earned)
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 6, 2017
After turning 21, I drove for Lyft soon after.

At first, March of 2015, things were pretty great. I got lots of tips, lots of primetime, it was pretty busy.

Now, January of 2017, You will be lucky to get a 5 dollar tip out of 15 rides. I had dropped off a passenger, her app charged her $7.5 but at my app it says total $ 5.4 including Lyft commission!!!! This means that they take about 45 to 50% commission out of the entire transaction, I had earned total of about 3.5 dollars out of 7.5. THEY DO NOT SHOW DRIVERS THE REAL TOTAL OF WHAT THE PASSENGERs PAY.

Imagine you have to drive 10 minutes to pick up someone, drop them off 5 minutes away and you don't even break the minimum fare which is 3.5 dollars. And you probably wait about 5 minutes for your passanger. So about 20-30 minutes with a random person in your car may land you with ONLY 5 BUCKS. If you think about it, personally drivers with their own gas and their own vehicle, their own insurance and their time, they should definitely be making at least 8-10 dollars minimum for a ride.

Lyft seems to be really taking advantage of drivers and passengers, paying about 40-45% to them alone to just use the app to match riders and drivers.

Pretty lucrative commission out of a phone app in real world. CEO should do something, why take so much commission? People are just fooled into short term money, missing out on the big picture that drivers are disposable and dispensable and it only benefits the corporation LONG term. That's why they want us as independent contractors.
Pros
Drive whenever you want
Cons
Will you even make up for gas spent?, Car washes are needed otherwise you could get rated down and kicked off Lyft., Got to make your car smell good buy some air fresheners which cost money if not, you could be rated down kicked off Lyft., Too much taken on commission by Lyft., People almost never tips., People are rude and rate you down for no reason., People are rarely ready when you arrive., People ask to stop at a lot of places for only 11 cents a minute.
Easy and friendly atmosphere
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 6, 2017
Working at your leisure giving rides to people is pretty cool. When you know you are helping someone out that maybe doesn't have regular transportation and/or for a night out, its pretty cool.
Pros
set own hours
Cons
traffic at times
Overall ok, its extra money
Independent Driver (Former Employee) –  Linden, NJJanuary 5, 2017
What I love is being able to deposit my money for the next day. What I don't love is the unstable and unpredictable volume of customers. But iverall, you can work at your most convenient times and it's extra money in your pocket. As long as you balance out with your own gas and vehicle expenses.
A great contracting opportunity
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2017
Provided a great opportunity to work whenever you wanted to while using your own vehicle.It was a venue for meeting fascinating people, have some great discussions while navigating your city.
If you think you will run your family with this Job forget about it!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 3, 2017
I am Graduate student from one of best university of Atlanta, I was looking for part time job on Saturday and Sunday, before starting with Lyft and Uber I was getting suggestions from Uber and Lyft drivers while as passenger, everyone has different reviews after that I decided to start it and get experience. I was driving Saturday and Sunday during busy hours from 4 PM to 5 AM, guess how much I was making? 250-300 in weekends, if you math about gas, wear and tear, car maintenance that amount will be 200-250. My advice if you are bore from your life start that kind of job otherwise try to get any other part time job at any store or gas station you will defiantly make more money than this and also you and your car will be safe.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
You would be lazy to do any other job, wont be able to pay your bills and run your family, Bad ranking system, unjustified rates per trip and so so...
underpaid,hardly close to a regular pay these days.
Lyft Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2017
City of Chicago suffers from heavy traffic,the long distances between targets which leads to many hours spent on the streets and at the end of the day you come to realize that the very few trips you have made today are not enough to cover your daily expenses,due to the many drivers assigned and all the conditions i've mentioned above. Not to mention maintenance of you vehicle.The steets here are in desperate need of repairs.
great as supplemental income
driver (Former Employee) –  denverDecember 30, 2016
when i first started doing lyft it kept me really busy but over the last frw months rides have been scarce unless you drive past 12 am i have a feeling theres just way too many drivers in this market right now no wonder why lyft has nearly eliminated the sign on bonus, everywhere you go near downtown denver you see lyft stickers in every other other car at night. a huge problem is when you move into the prime zone and the rides requests keep taking you out of the zone to pick somebody up 4-5 miles away and drive them just a few blocks dirty little tactics built into the system like these make it a deal breaker for a lot of drivers and when you do get a ride within a prime area you'll rarely get the maximum percentage out of the 25-200% so as i see primetime with lyft is more of a gamble than anything else
Pros
flexible, tips
Cons
rigged primetime, lots of mile driven
Great Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 30, 2016
I enjoy the flexibility of working when I want to.

Everyday you meet people from all walks of life. That brings good conversations and entertainment.

Every now and then, Lyft will set up somewhere in town to give out goodies for our drivers. It's also a place to meet other drivers and lyft workers.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
A lot of hours to get bonuses
My own car, my own rules, money when I need it.
Lyft Driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 30, 2016
Its good and I got to call my hours. Its good work but wore out my car quick. I worked about 8 hours a day for 4 days a week. It was good while I was going to school.
Pros
Your own car, control of hours, instant pay.
Cons
Extra wear and tear on your car.
Are You Kidding????
Driver (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 30, 2016
I have seen numerous commercials on TV for LYFT and decided that this might be a good part-time job with possible full-time. After deducting vehicle expenses, including but not limited to gas, regular vehicle maintenance and of course insurance there is NOTHING left. In addition and a very important part of this service...... most regular car insurance WILL NOT cover your vehicle when used in this service or similar other services. Additional vehicle insurance fees could and in all probability will increase overall vehicle insurance costs to over $2,500.00/year.
BEWARE!! Do some diligent research and investigation into this company and other similar services before you find that you are in to deep and can not GET OUT!!!
Pros
Cons
Vehicle Expenses
Productive and funplace to work
Lyft Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 29, 2016
- Driving and having fun productive conversation with customers
- Kept a smile which allowed passengers to feel relaxed after hard working day
- My creativity kept passengers entertained
- Most enjoyable part was learning from passenger from all different background, work and ethnic
Pros
Bonus Hours
Cons
Mileage expense
Flexible and fun job
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2016
I love working with Lyft, it gives me the opportunity to work on my flexible schedule and helps me earn extra income. The riders are great and rate me a five star out of five at the end of the trip for excellence drive and fun/funny conversation.
Pros
Flexible hours to work, no boss and get paid instant
Cons
1099, no tax deducted for state and federal.
Great for networking.
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 24, 2016
I love driving for Lyft. I get to meet new people on a daily basis and it allows me to network with people. Sometimes I may get lucky and meet someone who is working in the same field, or working towards the same goals as me.
Pros
great
Cons
great
Good college job for flexibility
Independent Contractor, Personal Friendly Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 24, 2016
It is good to help people get to their destinations in your car because you get to brush up on your driving skills. Making a schedule that matches your need whether your a full time student or just need more time with your family.
Pros
Meeting friendly people, having a car, getting paid weekly
Cons
no benefits, tax season, meeting new people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9
2.8

Indeed Prime: Apply to 100 top tech companies with 1 application

100% free. Land your dream job and get $2k. Interested employers will reach out with salary and equity upfront.

Learn more about Indeed Prime