Lyft

Lyft Employee Reviews

Individual Boss
Independent Contract Driver (Current Employee), Tempe, AZMay 19, 2015
Pros: Own Boss. Work when you want. Freedom.
Cons: Not for people that desire a structured enviroment
You're your own boss. Pick your hours. Make money. You need to have a stable and newer car, with 4 doors. I would suggest this job to anyone that is looking to pick up more cash.
Independence
Lyft Driver (Independent Contractor) (Current Employee), Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: Breaks, Time off, flexible scheduling
Cons: long waits in between pick ups, peak hours are early morning or late evenings
Work/life balance is a great thing with Lyft. Super flexible scheduling and opportunity for some great customer service.
NO PAY, LOTS OF STRESS
DRIVER (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2015
Pros: NOTHING
Cons: ALL
This company is just like Uber. All expenses are on the driver, Lyft takes 20% commission. You can not absolutely make a good living with this job. There is no job security, they can and will cancel your account at any time and for any reason they need to come up with. They work exactly the same as Uber. You invest an expensive car to do this job, and all you get back is minimum wage pay, plus trashing your car. Customer service is no existent, money is not even close to decent. Anybody can make a better living doing something else and WITHOUT depending on your car or trashing it. Insurance won't cover you, and think about this, if your car breaks, or crashes you simply will be out of work since your car is your job. Tickets or anything else if YOUR PROBLEM, Lyft won't help your or back you up for anything. Lyft and Uber have pending law suits, THEY ARE GREEDY AND EXPLOIT ITS DRIVERS.
This job is very stressful. Picking up people who are always late or not ready causes you to wait for them often in red zones, watching your back to avoid tickets, often there is no parking anywhere, so you double park always, dealing with streets always being repaired, loud or rude riders, people in a hurry stressing you out to make it there on time, people giving wrong directions, carrying big things, stressing you out how little time they have to get somewhere, smelly or drunk people, etc, etc, It's not fun as they want to make it look.
Fun Easy Way to Make Additional Income
Diver (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 30, 2015
Lyft is excellent because you are essentially and independent contractor with the company. They offer you "jobs" or fares and you choose whether or not to take them.

A typical day at work consists of ensuring that your car has appropriate trade dress (the mustache) and that it is clean and free of clutter.

I personally then stock it with water, prizes and candy and I'm on my way.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making your own schedule.

The hardest part of the job is giving away 20% of earnings.
I set my own hours
driver Partner (part-time) (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 29, 2015
Pros: I have interesting conversations. I set my qwn break sched.
Cons: No health care .
I get great ratings and reviews by my passengers and a lot of tips. Very low stress. Its great. I meet some nice people. The good thing is I provide a needed service and I love doing this. I like meeting new people and interacting with everyone! Its really a fun job to have. And at the same time I get paid to learn the city better and I get people thanking me all the time.
Excelent part time/ Supplimental Job
Driver (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 21, 2015
This was fun job to fall into, but the pay can vary to point of loosing money on a work day, but it can also be very rewarding. I would not recomend doing full time as your primary income. Need to be a secure people person, the job isn't as scary as moth think, have met tons of awesome people. Great for a side job.
great money f you have the time and car
Independent Contractor/Driver (Former Employee), Modesto, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: great potential
Cons: super long hours
pick up people, drop them off, meet lots of new people, need to be able to keep yourself entertained in your downtime, lots of wear on your car, other drivers tend to be kinda fake
Being a Lyft Driver is horrible; At best you can expect to earn around $10 per hour
Driver (Former Employee), los angeles, caApril 6, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: no stipiend for gas/maintenance, horrible rating system; doesn't respond to concerns raised by drivers; horrible corporate culture
Drive around and pick up people according to Lyft's application. Lyft's advertisements are completely false. They advertise that drivers can earn $35 an hour, on a good day you are making around minimum wage or around $10 per hour. Despite the fact that Lyft does not give even a partial stipend/reimbursement for gas or vehicle maintenance, they are not calculating gas and maintenance nor the time it takes for you to drive to a passenger or the time after you drop off a customer when you are waiting for your next customer. Also they cheat drivers by short-changing what the driver should earn. For example if you drove someone 13 miles and the trip took 45 minutes because of traffic, often Lyft's trip calculator will show mileage and time much less than that. One time I drove approximately 13 miles on a 45 minute trip to drop off a passenger, and Lyft's trip calculator showed that I drove only 7 miles and around 29 minutes. I notified Lyft about this "error", and to date Lyft has never corrected the problem nor contacted me about it. I noticed the same issue happened a few weeks later, and contacted Lyft about, and to date Lyft never corrected the problem and never contacted me about it. Also they let customers rate you on a scale of 1-5, and say that they have the option to drop you at any time if you fall below 4.5. Not only is a scale of 1-5 (or less than 1-10) not a good rating system since they are basically rating you in increments of 20 (i.e. 20,40,60,80,100), but if they are using 4.5 as the measure for whether you are a "good" driver, customers should be able – more... to rate you at 4.5, instead of customers only being able to rate you at 1,2,3,4 or 5). Never mind that most customers don't accurately rate, just as most drivers don't accurately rate customers because they are in such a rush. Also, they should give you some bonus after you reach a certain amount of rides, and should charge customers a minimum fee. That is between 9pm and 7am customers should be charged a minimum fee of $10, and a minimum fee of $8 at all other times. It is really not worth a drivers time to pickup a passenger to earn $2-3. These are the reasons Lyft has such a high driver turnover rate. Lyft is not paying a livable wage and if they don't change the will be out of business soon. – less
Great part time job!
Driver (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Great part time job
Cons: Not for full time
Great part time job to have, full time wise not really. Hardest part of the job is the requests, not always busy a lot of waiting around.
Loved my Lyft Life
Lyft Driver Mentor (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: awesome people to work with
Cons: no health benefits
You never knew where you would end up or who you would meet. Extremely flexible hours and you earned as you wanted. Always had meet ups with other drivers and Lyft sponsored events like campouts, BBQs, and dance parties.
doesn't deliver its promises
driver (Former Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 7, 2015
Cons: it just sucks
so for the first week I make about 200 after driving about 250 hours. $20/hr? not really. the second week one day I was out for 9 hours. made 27 dollars. $3/hr.. It won't work. The app will work if there are about 2-3 drivers in one metropolitan area.
Just be careful
Driver (Former Employee), Fresno CaliforniaMarch 1, 2015
Pros: free rides for passenger
Cons: low wages and not enough demand..
This company does its best to cheat their drivers. I recently did 6 rides, spent 7 hours logged in and only made 31.00! It was good at for last year when I started, but I have had major wear and tear in my car and major repair work that cost me $450.00. When I got my 1099 tax form from them and only made 2000.00 for the last7 months.

. the pay is low, $ 5 in Fresno and they are good for cheating drivers. Basically , its like working for the lord Jesus. Free!!!
Working with Lyft
Personal Driver (Current Employee), Chicago ILFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: no schedule, use personal vehicle
Cons: cab driver attacks, low rates, high comssion rate
Being a Ride-share driver has many great perks, one has to be good at navigating while talking to your passenger and not skipping an exit ,because one can get wrapped up in good conversation. Know the cool spots and great food recommendations, an occasional night club or cafe recommendations are also good to know. Being sharp and proficient with knowing the grid system in Chicago is recommended. As a driver I enjoy the flexibility Lyft's gives you to be able to log on to the platform to make money at what ever time of the day.
Great energy, lots of perks!
Customer Support (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: free lunch, great health benefits, fun
Cons: favortism, inexperienced management
Best part of this company is the people. Everyone is high energy and very smart. These people become your family.

Lots of opportunity to grow with the right manager.
If you like people...
Driver (Current Employee), Denver, COFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: make your own schedule, make some extra money, super fun!
Cons: no gas stipend or rewards program, no one to directly call when you need assistance.
Working for Lyft has been awesome but it's pretty inconsistent. Knowing when to drive to make the best money is the key. I suggest it for anyone with a job just looking to make a little extra cash.
Lyft has a spectacular business model and they seem to take care of their drivers.
Lyft stands for slavery!
Driver (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNFebruary 22, 2015
Cons: exploitative company
Lyft is a horrible company! They treat their drivers like slaves. That's because they don't invest a single penny in them. They take them for granted. I worked for that company one WEEK only and they fired me for 0.1 point of rating below their standard rating. They never sent me a complaint or a warning. I then received another email from them confirming that I was deactivated for the age of my car. Based on this email, I went ahead and bought a $12,000 car on loans. However, they refused to reactivate me and acted as if they never sent me anything. Screw their app! My whole family and I have already deleted it. I will tell the world about this situation. They are nothing but an opportunistic and exploitative company!
Lyft depersonalizes people. They dont care about the drivers
Driver (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: set your own hours
Cons: poor money, no support, high overhead
When I was first introduced to Lyft in September 2014 you could earn $200-$400 a day driving about 9 hours per. Then Lyft decided they didn't want to lose a single call so they saturated the city with drivers. Now earnings for the same 9 hour day have shrunk to $60-$140.

I drive in San Francisco. A city famous for its hills. These hills will wear out brakes and rotors in less than 2 years.

Heads up to prospective drivers...When you are an independent contractor you must set aside money for taxes. The current rate for independent contractors making under $113,000.00 is 15.3%

So if I make $100 after Lyft takes its fees and I then subtract out my gas, taxes, car cleaning expenses, and set aside a few bucks for whatever repair bill that comes up, I will show a whopping $40 for the shift. And Lyft encourages people to buy their customers treats.

However, you can write off the repairs, gas, and a portion of your cell phone bill. You can write off your insurance if you want to tell your insurer you are using the car for commercial purposes.
Great Company
Driver (Current Employee), Denver, COFebruary 2, 2015
Great for side cash or vacation money. If you owe money on your car...be aware of the wear and tear! I would recommend this to anyone
Do not work for them!
driver (Current Employee), denverFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: work your own hours- no boss
Cons: your job is in customers hands- and totally unfair rating system
Their whole thing is based on the customer's perspective and rating of you. You can have the cleanest, nicest car. You can provide treats and treat the customers really great, and still get canned out of nowhere because customer's rate you like idiots! I hate this company and despise the rating system.
fun and productive
Driving associate (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 29, 2015
its a great way way to make money on your own hours and meet friendly people through out the day.

1 2 3

About Lyft

Lyft is your friend with a car. Drivers are matched with passengers who request rides through the Lyft iPhone or Android app. – Read more

Lyft Salaries