Lyft Employee Reviews in United States

Pay is exagerated.....
Lyfter (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 7, 2016
Gas and coffee money. That's about what you will make driving for Lyft unless you work ungodly hours and are willing to chauffeur the stumble drunks of the late evening bar crowds on Friday and Saturday nights.

Do the math. In order to clear $1,500/week you'll have to make a little over $37.00 an hour over an average of 40 hours a week. Not likely to happen, at least not in the Denver, CO market.

I've averaged a little over $20.00/hour at best and by that I mean per hour I am actually "lyfting". This does not include time spent waiting in your car for a ride request to come in.

And that brings me to another point. The Denver Lyft market is saturated with drivers which cuts into your earning potential big time.

Secondly, Uber rules the Denver Market. I drive for both Lyft and Uber, and for every 5 Uber's I do, I might do 1 Lyft. To maximize your earning potential and come anywhere near $37.00 an hour you'll have to consider driving for both simultaneously.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Set Your Own Hours
Cons
$1, 500/ week? Get a real job.
Risks vs. benefits too high
Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 27, 2016
The compensation keeps dropping as they are in competition with Uber. The fare rates keep dropping The rating system they employ does not give the driver a fair enough ability to defend against unfair evaluations by passengers. There is also an issue with the Parking authority as it is judged to be a gypsy cab company subject to confiscation or our vehicles and heavy fines. The risks outweigh the benefits as of right now.
Pros
Work when one wants
Cons
Insufficient comp, high risks.
Lyft going downhill, just like Uber
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 12, 2016
I have been driving for Lyft since shortly after they came to my city. They seemed to be different than Uber - more caring, more worker friendly. However, when Uber recently cut prices/pay Lyft was quick to go down that same hurtful path. My compensation for the same work was cut 37%!!!! That means I would have to drive 45% more miles using 45% more time to make the same amount of money. Who does this to their faithful workers???? Only a heartless company that does not care about people, or their own reputation.
Pros
You can work whenever you want.
Cons
You are a desposable piece of machinery that gets paid less and less.
Flexible hours and sales techniques
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2015
It was up to me to personally order Lyft promo cards to distribute, as well as coasters and stickers for local businesses. There was almost no management, however, which taught me how to schedule, organize, and promote on my own, but I could have been more productive if there was some kind of training or guidance from a supervisor.
Pros
Flexibility, worked on my own time, worked on commission - so my salary was consistent with the hard work I put in.
Cons
commission per each of my promo codes that was used went from $15 to $5, and the time and energy consumption just weren't worth the lower commission
Rideshare Confidential
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 23, 2016
This attestation comes after having given more than 1,000 rides, while simultaneously maintaining a customer feedback rating of 4.97 on a 5.0 scale. Based on my own experience driving exclusively for Lyft; after adjusting for fuel and fees, and including tips, the average Lyft driver in San Diego makes about $9.00 per hour; significantly less than the company advertises and below the California minimum wage. Their Uber counterparts make roughly the same, despite no tips. Even the drivers that overachieve and drive for both only make around $12.00 to $13.00 per hour. To earn a decent wage, is simply an extrapolation of time behind the wheel. Over the course of six months driving, I learned to expect between 1.25 to 1.50 rides per hour; less during the week and more on weekends. Logistically, it’s hard to give more than three rides in a sixty-minute period.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Income
Honest review for Lyft Miami
Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 27, 2016
I want to start this review by saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE to make a living (in Miami) with this "job", and is completely false that you can make $35/h
First, you have a HUGE competitor: uber. They are more expensive and pay they drivers less, but still the most popular one. So, with lyft you won't have as many requests as you would with uber. Sometimes you can be even more than TWO hours waiting for a new pasanger even knowing the "good spots" around you.
Second, you will spend A LOT in gas, and don't make me start taking about car maintenance!!! Gas, oil change, tires, etc etc WILL drain ALL your profits
Pros
You don't have a boss, you work whenever, wherever and as many as you want
Cons
Driving around with strangers, Some of them might think that they can do whatever they want in your car
Perfect job/career for those who strive to be their own boss.
Ambassador/Independent Contractor/Driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 11, 2016
I love the freedom Lyft gives me to work on my own schedule, in my own time. I've been able to come out of my shell more with each passenger I pick up and drive around town. It's also been great way to get to know the city I've just recently moved to. The hardest part for me has been figuring out when and where the hot-spots are for those who need rides. San Antonio is such a new market that getting rides at all has been difficult. Passing out our referral cards has been a blast, but I have yet to see a return from that with those people using the codes to get their free rides. The Lyft community of drivers is amazing! We all come together as one big family, and we embrace all new drivers with the same enthusiasm.
Pros
Working my own schedule and hours; being my own boss.
Cons
Car insurance cost tripled.
i think that Lyft take much more care of employees than Uber, but still need improvement.
Independent Contractor - Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 3, 2016
I think that companies like Lyft and Uber must be better in future planning.
Now they work as gold miners, take gold today not thinking of what will happened when gold is over.
Working with Lyft i feel sometimes frustration, due for poor tech support. It have no direct phone number for calls in unusual situations.
Money, gained in lyft, mostly need to spend on repair, maintenance, gas and snacks, also car payments.
Sometimes i saw - not all the time i drive,where calculated in weekly report.i drived 7 hours and saw may be 6 counted.
But, Lyft help me to understand people and life in the city.
it was very helpfull for language study too.
Thanks Lyft!
Good Company overall
Driver/Customer Service Representative/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2016
Lyft is great!
Time management and organization is key to creating your own schedule so I enjoyed the flexibility of the work and most of the customers were nice.
Originally, I could tell as an employee that Lyft cared about the customers and employees. They would contact drivers to get their feedback on the things that would make Lyft better for everyone. As they began to expand and be more competitive, these things changed along with all the rules and protocols. I always see ads for money I was never able to experience (which made me believe they were false advertising). A typical day: Ready to drive at 6am daily.
No co-workers. The hardest part is patience. The most enjoyable times are at night when the customers are more relaxed. I learned that you must do everything in your power to document your ride to protect yourself. This means be honest about your passengers when you rate them or give feedback because it will be your word against the customers. If you need to, get a dash-cam for your safety.

Pros:
Flexibility, can work in any city Lyft serves (even on vacation), regular weekly pay

Cons:
Using your own vehicle will leave you with NO vehicle, you have to chase the money so there are times the network can get down causing you to miss potential money, very competitive (you can work for hours and not get paid because you didn't get a ride), customers can seemingly report whatever they feel and whatever they say WILL be the truth
Pros
Flexibility and regular weekly pay
Cons
Using your own vehicle, chasing money, competitive, customers can say anything it will be considered the truth
Not worth the risk - insurance is a nightmare!!!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2016
They make it sound like a good deal on paper - be a cab driver using your own car, make your own hours - sounds good, but what they don't tell you is that you are all on your own if your car is damaged during a ride.

I was told repeatedly that my car was covered by company insurance during company rides, but the facts are different, and if you are ever in an accident, even when it is NOT your fault, they will not pay. My car was damaged last year, and they still haven't sent a claims adjuster to even look at the damage. I'm wiring this in July.

The bottom line is that they are friendly when you sign up, friendly when you earn them money, and when you have a problem, they suddenly start to ignore you.

Drivers do literally all the work, drivers take literally all the risk, but the drivers stay poor while the owners of the company are getting rich by lying about how they do business and how much drivers will be compensated.

My score for ethics - 0 out of 10.
Cons
Insurance is fictional, no support, violent, drunk passengers

Want to know more about Lyft?

Ask a question
Flexible hours, enjoyable environment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 10, 2015
You can work whenever you want to (although there are promotions to work during the busier hours), there isn't any management breathing down your neck, and the compensation is pretty good so long as things keep pretty busy.
It's good for the guy on the move with time in passing
Contract Driver & personal driver (Current Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLJuly 13, 2016
My overall rating of this company are weak due to the ideals that people will not rate you; will rate you no matter how good a job you do and how giving you are unsatisfactory. I kept a good running record of events and if you weren't being ridiculed by a drunk or someone wanting to be sick in your care; your babysitting people to their destination. I worked for both Uber and Lyft and got burned out by the ridiculous rating scheme by drunk passengers. Overall; about 12 percent of the passengers were very tolerable and rated you fairly.

A typical day was sitting in a parking lot, shell gas station, airport cell phone lot or other waiting for the call. I would react to the call, initially open doors for the passengers, offer water, starbursts, and music to their liking until we arrive at their destination. It really takes a person with a lot of patience and people skills.Drop off the people or person at their destination and wait for another call to accept.
Pros
it was a waiting game
Cons
It paid okay
Work when and where you want but trash your car.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 20, 2016
If you are the kind of person who wants to work but is experiencing difficulty finding work in the current job market, Lyft can help you pay your bills until you are able to find something else.

Be prepared, however, to quickly put many miles on your personal vehicle and expose yourself to increased danger from motor vehicle accidents.

Although the company advertises what seems like a pretty good potential for pay, the actual results may disappoint you. My after expenses income ranged between 6 and 10 dollars per hour.
Pros
Work when you want.
Cons
Trash your car.
Awful way to make money. Lies lies lies
Diver in busy metropolitan area (Current Employee) –  can't say or they might cut me off.June 28, 2016
Sorry, I've done Uber and Lyft for almost 2 years...sometimes I had to do it full time. Its a good concept that Uber ruined and Lyft just tagged along. For instance, when Uber lowered the rates by almost 30%, Lyft followed suit 3 weeks later BUT, they buried the news in the bottom of a weekly newsletter that nobody reads. This dishonest instance is just the tip of the iceberg. Someone will come along with a better solution that is also a WIN for the drivers, not just the customers and the Company. Shameful really. How many drivers do they think are out there that they can just blow through them- for how long?
Their insurance deductible is $2,500 so if anything happens to your vehicle, you're on your own.
Lyft tries to make it 'cool' and friendly but Uber had dominated the market and passengers think Lyft is just an alternative for Uber and they don't respect the drivers. Uber has made it so passengers think you are their chaffuer Jeeves.
Pros
Do it when you want- the ONLY pro
Cons
Huge risks to you and your car, very little pay, humiliating passengers, body aches
What's the point?
Driver (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 28, 2016
If Lyft really wanted to, they would've exposed, exploited and upstaged Uber a while ago but instead they just follow in their shadow. In fact, they basically march lock-step with each other. Any disgruntled Uber drivers interested in signing up, stay far away as you'll just find yourself in the exact same conundrum with Lyft! Lyft could so very easily position themselves as THE alternative to Uber's shenanigans, but instead, they're just a cheap imitation!
Pros
Sign on any time you want
Cons
Rideshare is rideshare, no matter the name or place and they all stink like rotten meat!
Not Worth it - Waste of time and money - Stay away
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJune 24, 2016
The concept of this job is great and sounds really good. The realities of the pay and benefits are unfortunately very disappointing. Don't let the recruitment advertisement fool you. It is nearly impossible to make minimum wage of $8.00 an hour after you figure in your time, the wear and tear on your newish vehicle, insurance, food while running around, and gas. In Dallas, I drove for Uber and Lyft, and found each one had it's good and bad, but I simply could not figure out how to make decent money at this thing. The only people making any descent money are the Big Black Suburbans that have a monopoly on the Airport traffic and Executive service. Working the bar scene is a nightmare, suburbs is dead, Uptown or Downtown, short rides that do not pay. I rarely if ever got a tip, even though I had excellent driver rating. It says you can work your own hours, which is true, but the reality is nights and weekends is when the action is happening. During the day it is DEAD. It's fools gold. Don't fall for it.
Pros
Work your own hours (kind of)
Cons
Little pay after expenses, safety issues, drunks/women of the night during after-hours
Enjoy the freedom of being an independent contractor
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2016
LYFT has great incentives and are a great business model for the ride share industry.
There customers are 95% friendly and very interesting to get to know
A typical day would be about 8 hours of actual car time, with about 5-7 hours of driving with a customer.
As long as you are motivated to drive, there is plenty of opportunity to earn a viable income.
LYFT provides good support for any questions
I have learned how to use the LYFT APP fairly proficiently and am amazed at the reliability of the technology that is used to provide daily reports for all my rides and fares.
The hardest part of the job would be the late night hours, which if you are prone to not getting enough rest can come back to make the job a little difficult.
Pros
I get to drive around beautiful San Diego and meet interesting people
Cons
Sometimes traffic can get congested and areas of town are a little risky at night
Not a full-time job!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2016
I've driven for Lyft off and on for about a year. Have almost 200 rides under my belt and I can tell you right now this is no full time job!.. It is only profitable to drive during prime time hours and even then I find myself wondering if it is worth it. My average ride in LA lasts about 10 mins and I make $4 or so..There are sometimes 10-20 mins lags between pick ups and you never know what weirdo is going to get in your car. Yes, most people are very cool but then there are the others..

My biggest complaint about Lyft is that I have seen the demographics change significantly in the last few months. I am picking up more and more teenagers/high schoolers who are too immature to use this service. A lot of teenagers use their parents account to order a car so you think you are picking up "Elizabeth" when you are really picking up Johnny and his stoner buddies from the mall. Don't even get me started on the late weekend nights...
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not worth the compensation
Absolute waste of TIME and money...
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJJuly 19, 2016
Have been doing this for a few months and feel VERY DISAPPOINTED and DISCOURAGED by the increasingly low and lower fares, the unfair customer ratings/reviews system, and the utter waste of time and life with this company...With the 25% cut going to these folks, the high gas prices, and the low fare rates, a Lyft driver makes peanuts at the end of the day unless s/he spends 12 hours driving far and wide to eke out a little extra bucks... Overall a bad job choice...
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No money, high mileage, car damage...
Silly to even try this
Lyft driver (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAMay 15, 2016
I signed up with Lyft. First, I did it for fun, and for a little extra spending money. I am employed and make about $150,000 a year, so this was really just a social experiment for me. What I found was the exploitation of the poor.

Without doing this and then crunching the numbers, one would not know that this is really charity work with high risks. First, the pay is paltry. You get a base fee, time and miles minus 25%. What they don't explain, is that you spend more time and gas driving to pick-ups, then actually driving customers.

Based on the IRS costs of $.54 per mile, I would have a write-off after just two days. The gross was about 20 dollars per hour, including tips, but the net is more like, a net neutral, when you consider gas, and vehicle depreciation. You would do better working at McDonalds. If the pay was doubled, it might make some sense, but there is a reason taxis cost so much. Look for them to destroy the cab market and then raise prices to a sustainable level. This is really a predatory business at best.
Pros
fools gold
Cons
risk of death, risk of accusations, long hours, no pay, destruction of vehicle

2.8