Lyft Employee Reviews in United States

Not much work
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 2, 2016
Great flexibility but not enough work to for the average person. I think there is a lot of competition out there in this business.
Pros
flexible
Cons
not enough work
Fun and Flexible
Taxi Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2016
I enjoy meeting new people and at Lyft I was able to meet new people every time I work. My typical day started at 9pm and ended at 3am the next morning. During that time, I would meet people from different walks of life and it was fun to get to know them for the time that they were in my car. I have giving almost 2000 rides and have only had a few bad experiences. Its a flexible job that I can come and go as I please which helps with my kids. I would recommend this job to others.
Pros
Flexibility, Pay, meeting new people
Cons
A lot of sitting, wear and tear on my own car, occasionally dealing with vomit
Lyft in sac.
Driver/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 19, 2016
Im getting nothing in sacramento and the surrounding area. Was promised 15 but 0%guaranteed. Marketing sucks so therefore, not enough lyft users vs uber. Drove for uber first. Easily got my bonus easy. Lyft? Nahhhh. 10 rides in 9 days... n gotta get it within a month time period. Switching back to uber. Tho it pays less.. Just not enough rides 4 lyft. Ubers app is neater too. Cancellasion on a ride is 35% too so far. Thats bad.
Pros
Cons
Almost everything said here.
From My Viewpoint
driver/partner (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 18, 2016
I believe this is a company that wants to build a company on a social media networking backbone.

Everything they do outwardly is based on customer appeal as opposed to doing just what they want to do.

Great marketing promotions with recognizable people

smart interface for the drivers
Pros
Great Promotions
Cons
They need a lot more marketing to the public which I am starting to see
Always fun
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAApril 18, 2016
You meet interesting and fun people. Pay is good. I make my own hours. Allows me to spend time with my loved ones. Only bad part is the miles and wear and tear on your car
Be realistic
Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2016
Driving for Lyft has been a fun experience for me, as a nights and weekends type thing. In my regular job I work from home so I actually enjoy some extra driving. But you have to be realistic and don't take it too seriously. I sometimes have to drive 10 miles to pick up a ride and drive them 3 miles. You're obviously not making money then. You pretty much have to do all inner city driving on weekends to avoid that problem and then you can make some money especially when you get a few prime time fares. The best part of the job is to meet new and interesting people which happens maybe one in four or five rides. You need rideshare insurance which 95% of drivers don't carry or risk financial ruin. Seriously. Don't believe Lyft or Uber when they say you're covered because you're not, at least not in between rides when your app is on. Navigation can be a challenge especially in complicated cities such as Pittsburgh. Learn your city is my best advice and learn the navigation quirks such as getting sent to the back of an apartment building that spans an entire city block. Enjoy it while you can, until they replace us with driverless cars. That's their real business plan which you are helping to fund with every ride. Good luck and drive safely.
Pros
Meet new people, drive when you want
Cons
Low earnings
Lyft does not stand up to Uber
Lyft and Uber Driver (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CaApril 17, 2016
In the ongoing battle of Uber vs Lyft Uber is winning. I started out driving for Uber, their app definitely gives the driver the opportunity to be more pro active. If we are independent contractors then Uber gives us more choices as least where I live. When I reach the my destination to pick up my rider I am given the opportunity to text or call the rider. Lyft does not give you the chance to text the rider and when you request to call they give you the message are you sure you want to call the customer. Yes I do, I am waiting and I am making sure that he or she knows that I have arrived. Sometimes the rider does not know that their ride has arrived. Recently I referred my Sister to drive with Lyft and gave the referral code. In a canned response they decided that they did not want to honor the referral code. Uber on the other hand was more than willing to honor the referral code and paid it out exactly after she had completed 100 rides. Recently I had some problems with a fare and Uber responded with a great customer service rep. IHe called me personally and gave me his contact information. I e-mail him and he responds usually within 15 minutes or less and it is not a canned response with a name slapped on. Uber is winning the rideshare competition in Bakersfield, Ca.
Pros
Non
Cons
Referral incentives, lack of communication.
Meet new people and make your own hours... what could be better?
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2016
Meet new people and make your own hours... what could be better? This is a great job for the go getters out there. Your always moving from place to place. The people vary in walks of life and are generally pretty friendly to the drivers.
Riding along Austin
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 10, 2016
The company is respectful of whatever environment they are in, even if they are threatened to be push out of a service area. They are polite and generous to their employees who try to provide their patrons with best possible service.
Not a full-time job!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2016
I've driven for Lyft off and on for about a year. Have almost 200 rides under my belt and I can tell you right now this is no full time job!.. It is only profitable to drive during prime time hours and even then I find myself wondering if it is worth it. My average ride in LA lasts about 10 mins and I make $4 or so..There are sometimes 10-20 mins lags between pick ups and you never know what weirdo is going to get in your car. Yes, most people are very cool but then there are the others..

My biggest complaint about Lyft is that I have seen the demographics change significantly in the last few months. I am picking up more and more teenagers/high schoolers who are too immature to use this service. A lot of teenagers use their parents account to order a car so you think you are picking up "Elizabeth" when you are really picking up Johnny and his stoner buddies from the mall. Don't even get me started on the late weekend nights...
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not worth the compensation
Management Misleads drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2016
I have been screwed twice now by incentive offers to drive a certain times because the company set up a no win situation to which I needed to comply. Just because they offer it to you, doesn't mean they have any intention of offering it to you. If you wonder why the driver turnover is high with Lyft, check out how they treat drivers.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
The friendliness is only skin deep. They reall have no regard for drivers.
Pretty fun overall
Driver/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 5, 2016
Enjoy the freedom of making your own schedule. Tips can be good. Meet fun and interesting people. Great extra side job. Turn on the app when you're ready to work, and sign-off anytime you want.
Enjoy the freedom of being an independent contractor
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2016
LYFT has great incentives and are a great business model for the ride share industry.
There customers are 95% friendly and very interesting to get to know
A typical day would be about 8 hours of actual car time, with about 5-7 hours of driving with a customer.
As long as you are motivated to drive, there is plenty of opportunity to earn a viable income.
LYFT provides good support for any questions
I have learned how to use the LYFT APP fairly proficiently and am amazed at the reliability of the technology that is used to provide daily reports for all my rides and fares.
The hardest part of the job would be the late night hours, which if you are prone to not getting enough rest can come back to make the job a little difficult.
Pros
I get to drive around beautiful San Diego and meet interesting people
Cons
Sometimes traffic can get congested and areas of town are a little risky at night
Easy earnings
Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 4, 2016
It's a pretty neat gig to where you work whenever you want and work as much as you want. I can take a vacation whenever and not have to worry about having someone cover for me if I was gone for an extended period
Pros
I make my own hours
Cons
not really a job, I am more of a contractor
Productive and Fun
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 1, 2016
I enjoyed walking up to random people and having casual conversations that steered into talking about taking a Lyft around the city. A typical day at work would be meeting at the Lyft office to get materials for my shift. I would then go to my assigned location and being branding. The hardest part of the job was walking around all day. However, the easiest part of the job was being able to casually talk to people throughout the day.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Heat
Company & public passingers taking advantige of contractors
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2016
If you are operating a new car, it is impossible to meet your financial responsibilities, this is a job for students that have parents paying their overhead, some of the riders are people I would never allow in my car if I knew them personally, they are also used as official Inspectors for your vehicle, by the company, which can cause you to be deactivated instantly, then you have the burden to prove that there is no safety issue, this is hand in hand corporate greed.
Pros
I observe no positives
Cons
use of public cars for corporate income
hip cool work . your own boss
Chauffeur/Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2016
it's great place to work if you love driving and people as I do .. I learn on this job never judge a book by it's cover .. really true statement..
Pros
set you hours
Cons
no retirement plan for the drivers
Risks vs. benefits too high
Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 27, 2016
The compensation keeps dropping as they are in competition with Uber. The fare rates keep dropping The rating system they employ does not give the driver a fair enough ability to defend against unfair evaluations by passengers. There is also an issue with the Parking authority as it is judged to be a gypsy cab company subject to confiscation or our vehicles and heavy fines. The risks outweigh the benefits as of right now.
Pros
Work when one wants
Cons
Insufficient comp, high risks.
Okay in a pinch
Driver/Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 23, 2016
Driving for a living has its benefits but ultimately it not a sustainable income source. Also you have to carry a lot of liability as a driver. You pay for your own car, insurance, maintenance and fuel.
Pros
Extremely flexible
Cons
Too much liability
Lot's of driving
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2016
A lot of driving it's a gamble, some days you make good money some days bad. You are basically self employed and put in how much you want to make, risking your own car, mileage, gas