Lyft Employee Reviews

Good way to earn cash but wear and tear on personal car
Driver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 18, 2017
Easy way to earn money but hard on your, especially the late night drunks. I provide wide mouth plastic jar with lid as sickness bag that the passenger gets to take home for FREE.
Pros
Set own hours
Cons
Have to clean the car a lot
Flexible hours and fun meeting new people.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 16, 2017
I love working for this company. Love the flexibility of hours, meeting new people and finding new ways around town. The hardest part of the job is the down time you have, you constantly want to be working but that's not always the case. I enjoy almost every aspect of the job. the only con I have come across is no benefits, if they offered benefits I more then likely would not be looking for a new job.
Pros
Flexible hours and no boss to answer to.
Cons
no benefits
It is what you make of it
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 15, 2017
Work smart not hard....There are techniques to make more money. It takes work ethic knowledge confidence and service. and doing homework. If u just go out and drive.....you will not make as much.
Pros
Own hours freedom
Cons
Long hours...i question the detail of math in payouts and bonuses
The freedom from having any constraints doing your job.
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 15, 2017
Had a wonderful time interacting with the clients who where 99% of the time in a very happy mood. I was able to meet a lot of nice new professional people. On the road for up to 15 hours at a time had a tremendous advantage to allowing one to reach his financial goals in a relatively short period of time. you can work as many hours as you like but the pay is minimum wage.
Pros
Have the freedom to learn daily.
Cons
Car miles and repairs come up to fast.
Lyft
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 15, 2017
It's an easy job but not guaranteed to have a lot of income. However it's incredible flexible and as long as you're safe and friendly do your passengers then your job secure.
False advertisment
Transport driver (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 14, 2017
they say you can make $1500.00 a week, its impossible. you would have to drive for 24 hours a day for that. there are to many lyft and uber drivers on the road for that kind of money. you will make about $500 - $600 a week realistic. remember you also have to follow D.O.T. guidelines--only allowed to drive for 8 hours per day. the review system needs to be revamped. it's a 5 star rating and the passengers think oh I'll only give 4 stars, that's good enough. what they don't realize is 4 stars hurt your rating.
Pros
no bosses looking over your shoulder
Cons
people throwing up in your car, rude passengers
Great for those who need extra money!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 11, 2017
I enjoy working for them because I could easily work for them with gaps in my resume.
I think the best is that lyft always try solve your problems immediately without making you frustrated.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
Wear and tear on your vehicle
For a part time gig it's perfect.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 11, 2017
With any rideshare service; you can barely make a living doing it. Unless you're in a big city. This is good for part-time money only! Do no expect to make a living driving for Uber or Lyft.
Pros
You work whenever you want
Cons
Pay is horrible
Unstable and low earnings
Driver (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 10, 2017
Unstable and low earnings. Great and unlimited competition among drivers. Few orders. More than half of the earnings go to expenses and deduction Lyft commission.
fun company to partner with
General Contractor (Current Employee) –  state of floridaAugust 9, 2017
With Lyft you are a general contractor you work on your own schedule. You pick up people needing rides to and from work home or going out to the airport.
Pros
you work your on set schedule
Cons
It can be fun driving for Lyft.
Driver/Mentor/Recruiter/Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 9, 2017
It can be a great job to have thankfully to the passengers. The flexibility of your hours are great but the end doesn't always add up. Though their adds say that you can make up to $35 an hour that is really on a good day. I use to be an advocate for Lyft when they first got to town. I was making great money and they had a lot of perks that were beneficial to me but now they have turned into Uber. If you think about how much they would be taking out in taxes, what you spend on gas and maintenance you're really only making minimum wage and under in some cases while putting a lot of miles on "your" car. I don't think it's worth it any longer.
Pros
great flexibility
Cons
The end doesn't justify the means
They lie to you that you will earn at least 1500 a week
Lyft Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 9, 2017
It is not true I used to work 12 hrs a day and only made around 150 a day in la. Where they tell you to go to make alot of money. Plus the price of gas and car repair does not equal any money back when compared to how much you earn.
Love working here
Rideshare Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2017
I have to get up early to help morning commuters get to work. I have to stay self motivated to keep income coming in. Great environment to work in. Pay is fair, just need to work a lot of hours to make it work.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lots of wear and tear on vehicle
Great Side Job
Ride-Share driver (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 8, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Lyft until they changed the apps and its been more difficult to get rides. I haven't had any rides in over 2 months!!!!!!
Pros
Work when ever you want
Cons
New app isn't working properly
Quick paced yet balanced.
Ride Share Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2017
I enjoy driving all over the greater Los Angeles Area. The company is focused on creating a work environment that has carried over to my vehicle when I am a driver as well as when I ride as a passenger. I enjoy getting to chat with passengers and I can tell that my friendly interactions have been a relief to them.
I'm Very Pleased
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 7, 2017
Here's the best way I can break it down - the more you work, the more you'll earn, just logically speaking. But there are simply no guarantees. You can make big bucks in just an hour or two, or you can spend hours out there and make very little. It all depends on what you are looking to make, and how much you want to work.

I no longer have any single day expectations. I only view it from a weekly perspective. What I tell myself is that I will most likely make just above minimum wage for the amount of hours I put in during the week, with a bit extra on top. And so far, that has been how it pans out each week.

So if you train yourself to expect a lower-end wage and just understand that you'll need to work more to earn more, you'll be satisfied. Especially because in most weeks, you'll actually end up with more than you were anticipating with this mindset.
Pros
Flexibility Unlike Anything Else
Cons
Wages That Can't Be Guaranteed
Organized and Productive
Driver (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAAugust 4, 2017
A great company to work for. It basically requires you to drive around people who are trying to get to their destination. Their application is very easy to use and is highly recommended.
Great Job, But Not A Career
CE Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 4, 2017
When I first started at the company, I had high hopes. Many of the company's actions are very progressive and there's a high representation of women in leadership positions for a tech company.
After working at the company 18+ months, all of the shiny wrappings have begun to look less appealing. Take off the pink bow, and you're left with a corporation that still plays corporate games. Whether it's an LLC on Wall Street or in Silicon Valley, all corporations are the same in that employees are just pawns in a company's chess game. Some definitely treat their players better than others, but it in the end it's all games - the fun is up to your outlook.
Because of the fast growth the company has had, there's actually little opportunity for advancement; chances for promotions or internal transfers are few and far between with lots of competition. Internal applicants for positions are treated equal to external: there is no preference given in positions for current employees, which personally I find shows little regard for employee loyalty.

All in all, I've learned a lot and it was a good first job, but that's all it is a job. If you're looking to build a career, this may not be the company for you.
Pros
dog-friendly office; good benefits
Cons
no 401k match; no stock options for hourly employees; little career growth opportunities
It's what pays my bills
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 4, 2017
It works , I like being able to clock in when I want and also be able to cash out the same day if needed. I like it better than uber, I know if I were to put more hours in I could get paid more.
Use purely as a side gig to make some "fun" money
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 4, 2017
It is OK. I imagine that the only people making serious money are those that work nonstop from Friday night to Monday morning. Can be slow during the weekdays. Most riders are polite and you can have some good conversations. It does annoy me when Lyft send out emails that someone is earning $35 per hour as a driver. This is giving people unrealistic expectations the actual hourly rate is at least half that.
Another thing to consider is wear and tear on the vehicle, by the time this is factored into your wages it is hardly worth it.
Pros
Set own schedule.
Cons
Don't think it can be a full time gig.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9