Lyft

Lyft Employer Reviews

Good company easy going enjoy earning extra money
Mentor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 11, 2014
Pros: easy
Cons: wait for rides
Fun enjoying working here to make extra money weekend are good
Lyft, don't be fooled by the hype!
Driver (Current Employee), San DiegoOctober 7, 2014
Pros: schedule
Cons: not enough demand, lots of competition for lyfts, must pay for gas, car maintenance, etc., rating system is arbitrary, lack of follow through when communicating with lyft corporate
I have worked for Lyft in San Diego for over six months now. Not a terribly long time, but enough of a sample size to write a review. Overall, aside from Friday and Saturday night, it is very difficult to make a living driving for Lyft. There is a saturation of drivers in San Diego and the demand does not equal the supply. Additionally, the 20% cost – more... that Lyft charges from your earnings is substantial considering that the driver must pay for gas, car maintenance, insurance, taxes, etc. Furthermore, the "prime time" hours are hit and miss. Some days I would receive multiple Lyfts within the coverage area, while on other days, I sat in the prime time area for over two hours without receiving one Lyft request. In the end, the flexibility of the hours is appealing to most and there is some money to be made, but at what cost to your car and your time? – less
Drivers Lose Money Funding Company
Driver (Former Employee), Sacramento CAOctober 4, 2014
Pros: set own work hours
Cons: lose money, time, wear & tear on car & resources
Concept for drivers is great-no boss, work own hours, paid once a week. There is a window of time when a driver can make decent money after expenses Problem is Lyft hires so many more drivers than an area can support. Lyft is in a competition war so Lyft has drastically dropped rates for customers by 35% w/o advance notice to drivers. As a result of – more... Lyft's actions, drivers earnings fell by 35% & there are so many drivers competing for the same number of customers that earnings dropped DRASTICALLY.
Example: drove 7 hours earned $12.00 & spent $20.00 in gas. Drove all day for 3 days in "Prime Time" locations/times (company alerts drivers of Prime Time locations saying drivers could earn 25-100% more at that time in that area) & had ZERO rides. Time driving = 30 hours, Earnings = $0.00, Cost to drive = $40.00 in gas, drivers hrly rate = ???? & wear & tear on car.
Majority of Customers are great, fun & interesting.Customers love having an alternative to taxis for many reasons.
BUT Lyft asks Drivers, by way of veiled incentives & a rah rah Lyft Community, to hustle for both drivers & customers. So as a driver you get people to sign on Lyft as drivers in DIRECT COMPETITION with you!!!
Become a Driver!!! Drain your resources while increasing Lyft's business!!! – less
Innovative and Exciting new job experience
Driver (Current Employee), Providence, RISeptember 29, 2014
Great job for those looking to pick up a 2nd or 3rd job. Incredible flexibility in scheduling to meet your daily time constraints and surprisingly good pay with plenty of perks and financial boost opportunities offered on a regular basis.
Meeting new people
Community driver (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: making your own hours, making new friends, benefits for being a lyft driver, being able to have a break anytime, paid once a week
Cons: paying for your own gas, extra mileage on your car, drink people getting sick in your car
My typical day at work is filled with meeting new people from all over.. I love socializing with everyone that needs a ride.
Lyft is not fair to the drivers
driver (Former Employee), southern califSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: none right now
Cons: can't make a living
Lyft doesn't let u make a living. Spend 57 hours working and make 415.00 less 160.00 in fuel and there u have it. I work 7 days a week. The keep cutting the rates and it hurts us. I've sent out 70k ads on my lyft code for a 10.00 bonus to me and had 2 friends sign up and I have yet to see any type of 10.00 bonus. They are using a bunch of high turnover – more... rate to keep going. They should have rates close to 80% of taxi rates so they drivers can give good reviews. Stay away until they raise the rates. They are fighting UBER for riders and it's not fair to us. I know how to get rides, but money is not there. – less
Drive Your Own Car
Mentor/Driver (Current Employee), ChicagoSeptember 8, 2014
Driver strangers around in your car for extra cash. It has its ups and downs. You have the freedom to drive whenever you choose. You suffer a lot of wear and tear on your personal vehicle. Wages are not guaranteed.
Great Service, Better In Larger Markets
Driver (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 30, 2014
Pros: work-life balance, pay, safety measures
Cons: no real opportunity to move up from driving
I enjoy Lyft driving. I started it after losing my job. It's perfect for me as a single parent, because I drive during the day while my child is in school. I just wish I lived in a more progressive city. More riders, more money. I do okay for now.
Don't work here it's a scam!!
Driver (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: absolutely none
Cons: i don't have enough space to even begin
Any positive reviews for this company are obviously just from the company itself. No intelligent person would believe this is actually a real opportunity. You will be there slave forking over a majority of any profit you hope to make. They are only looking out for themselves. Beware and stay away I promise it will be the best choice you've ever made.
Good money, too bad it didn't last
Driver (Former Employee), OhioJuly 20, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: using your own car, gas and not knowing who will be in your backseat
I worked for Lyft only a few months, seems like even though I went above and beyond picking up the people I needed too, they didn't care to rate me very high. Needless to say I was let go. I was friendly, personable and really like people. However, I didn't find the job was all that safe at times. I was responsible for driving people in my own car, – more... using my own gas which I understood at the get go. However, when you are driving strangers around in your car, and most of them are drunk, you fear they will vomit in your backseat, hence the times I truly worried whether it would happen on several occasions. Also had to drop off people in unfavorable areas of the city. But apparently Lyft doesn't want you to ask the client where they are going, you are supposed to know that, which is weird. I tried it, it didn't work out and I will move on. – less
Lyft is not telling the truth and endangering the public
Applicant (Former Employee), Madison, WIJuly 9, 2014
Cons: no insurance, no fair pay, it is a scam
Their service agreement that customers and drivers must agree too invalidates any insurance coverage Lyft offers unless the driver wants to pay at least $800.00usd a month in addend insurance coverage!!
Their claims about income are entirely false. Because they do not offer service to the majority of any city they operate in, you end up picking up in – more... only a few areas at certain times. Then once you drop off a customer you have to drive all the way back to their preferred pick up areas which costs time and money.
Their tos also states clearly that customers outside of California DO NOT HAVE TO PAY YOU ANYTHING FOR A RIDE. You end up giving a lot of people free rides or the customer will just set a really small rate for the ride.
In a city like Madison, WI you would be lucky to make $15 an hour working for Lyft and that doesn't include gas, TAXES or the wear on your own vehicle. You are also invalidating any warranty you have on your vehicle unless you inform your dealership. Surprise surprise, they will either end your warranty and service agreement or ask you to pay thousands of dollars more to keep your warranty. On top of that you have no insurance coverage so if you do get in a wreck Lyft wont cover anything and you end up losing your own insurance policy. Lyft is making money by having drivers sacrifice safety and their own money thinking they can be cab drivers on their own. It just isn't worth it. – less
Enjoyable work enviroment
Driver/Mentor (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2014
Pros: constantly meet new people
Cons: expenses can change dramatically
I don't really feel like my job is a driver because I simply spend my day meeting people. It does not feel like a job, and I enjoy that the most. The people I work with are all very friendly and enthusiastic, and I have not come across anything that really takes away from the overall experience.
Transport passengers in and around the city of Pittsburgh
Driver (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 9, 2014
LYFT is a great start up company from San Fransisco that allows anyone to use their own motor vehicle and transport everyone around the city. You can be creative in doing so and you schedule your own hours at will.
Fun Work Place and Variable Schedule
Lyft Driver (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 20, 2014
Cons: 15 minutes break every two hours.
Everyday i pick up passengers and drop them off at locations in greater Boston area. i learned to be a better driver, safe driver and i have a good communications with my passengers. be very friendly, courteous at all the time. The Management is very good, they are always looking after us and having ours back in any situation. The hardest part of my – more... job is when i have a passenger with issue or angry at something, but i always manner to keep my calm. i love working with people, kids and senior thats why i am Lyft team. – less
Knowledge of Company
Driver Helper (Former Employee), Fresno, CAApril 17, 2014
Pros: meeting & driving customers and assisting them
Cons: sitting in cars waiting for pick up, out of pocket expenses on gas
Assisting People from all over the City of Fresno,
Making Friends, Communication is Key.
Lyft is a great company with a questionable compensation plan
BRAND AMBASSADOR (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches, great co-workers, positive vibes
Cons: low compensation, all direct sales
Lyft provides the tools for full-time students to become experienced in a sales environment, and I have learned very important professional life lessons from my time in this company. The management in the company is fantastic and provides great support. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a small team to build towards a massive task, – more... which is challenging but eventually rewarding. The only downfall is having to break the original barrier to become a regional manager and achieve compensation. – less
Fun environment with very flexible hours
Lyft Driver (Current Employee), Denver, COMarch 28, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, good pay
Cons: short breaks, late nights
Could sign up to work specific hours or could just sign in and start working if you were free. Management was very friendly and available to help at all times. The hard part of the job was working late at night when it was the most profitable.
Coolest corporate culture ever.
Mentor Team Member (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 14, 2014
........................................................................
Great experience.
Driver (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2014
Choosing your own hours, driving your own vehicle, and having interesting passengers makes being a Lyft driver a rewarding experience.
very flexible
Company Chauffeur (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAMarch 7, 2014
Its a good job to have as a second source of income and a great way to meet new people

About Lyft

Lyft is your friend with a car. Drivers are matched with passengers who request rides through the Lyft iPhone or Android app. – Read more