Lyft Employee Reviews

good
Chauffeur (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
Basically you have to wait for a fare to pop up, then you pick them up at their location and take them to their destination. It's easy and the pay is good. The only bad part is the wear and tear on your car, plus I think lyft gives you a lot of great fares at the start of your shift, but then slowly decreases the amount/distance you go.
Mantienes un horario abierto, lo que te permite ajustarte en cualquier situaciĆ³n.
Self Employed (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 19, 2017
Es divertido, aunque exaustivo, Lyft te permite mantener un horario abierto lo que no impide realizar otras actividades con libertad.
Excellent Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2017
I enjoy meeting new people from all walks of life, I can take breaks whenever I need too. I love having the flexibility of being able to work when I want too.
Pros
Flexibility, nobody over you
Typical day of Lyft
Driver (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 18, 2017
Drive around and wait for a call. Always make sure you have water to offer each rider. I learned that there are many people use Lyft and that Las Vegas is a diverse city. The hardest part about Lyft is having riders make a mess in your car and I always have to get it detailed twice a week or sometimes more.
fun job, you are your own boss
Driver (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2017
fun work environment, make your own hours. you get to interact with a wide variety of customers. i also really enjoy driving and listening to music so it was a good fit.
Great hours
Transportation (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2017
I was able to work the hours and the time that I wanted. I was able to meet a lot of interesting and new people and have a lot of interesting conversation. I get to learn the city.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
No benefits
Don't waste your time
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 17, 2017
Lyft pays their drivers terrible. They are constantly lowering their prices and railing their drivers in one way or another. This job is terrible if you are looking at it as a serious source of employment. Because it is so terrible, Lyfts primary business strategy is to hire as many drivers as possible because the turnover is so high. The net result of that is that the market is completely saturated with drivers. It isn't uncommon (as far as my experience goes) to sit around for extended periods of time with absolutely no work at all. I worked in Los Angeles, and there were many days where I would work for 8 or 9 hours and make 30 dollars or less. Combined with the costs of insurance, gas, car payments, you are honestly lucky if you break even (in my case.)

I know there are people who make a living with Lyft and they do alright, but that certainly wasn't me.

Advice: If there is some kind of promotion like 500 dollars for signing up and doing 100 rides, or whatever it might be, do it. Knock out the rides and get your sign on bonus. Chances are it is the most money you will ever make driving for lyft.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
pay sucks, liability high, hours suck, saturated work market, damage to your car from customers etc.
Great Flexibility, Comeptitive
Driver (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 17, 2017
This job offers great flexibility in work hours, but is difficult to project hours and fares available. I have been able to work in Denver and in Tampa. I found the Denver market to be much better for opportunities to make money.
Pros
Schedule Flexibility
Cons
Availability of fares
If you like having fun while working lyft is it
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 16, 2017
Pick your own schedule
Self displine
Office style setup
Great and exciting job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Michigan Ctr, MISeptember 16, 2017
Fun,interesting job,meet new and great friendly people,flexibility of the job,is awesome. It's a good job for college and retired folks looking for something to do,in there off time.
Pros
Meet new and interesting people
Be your own BOSS
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco County, CASeptember 15, 2017
If you are self motivated, disciplined, goal oriented, and driven - you can do this job.

Commission only, full time work is not for the faint-hearted in any business. You have to know what you want and set your goals to it.

However the plus side with Lyft, is that they help you connect with clients so you dont have to by the press of a button.

This is all on you - your car is your office. But dont forget to give exceptional customer service while keeping your eyes on the road.

Anytime I send an email to Lyft, they usually respond within a few hours, which lets me know they are looking out for me. This is important and they have done a great job so far.
Pros
Your own time
Cons
Flat tire
Great place to work!
Driver and Partner (Current Employee) –  Orange, CASeptember 14, 2017
I would highly recommend working for Lyft. Dive for a few hours and still be able to have a life outside of my work. It is a win win. You have to be self motivated to make money.
Pros
work your own schedule
Cons
Their insurance policy deductibles for drivers using LYFT insurance after an accident is too high! 2, 500 is the deductible and the driver should have options for lower deductible.
Helping society get around
Ride Share Experience Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 14, 2017
Not as competitive or fast-paced as uber, lyft is as well a very fun sociable job experience. A chance to provide help to those in need of ride and an excellent way to be your own boss!
Cons
Slow at times, not as profitable as uber
Great for extra money
Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 14, 2017
Excellent 2nd job! Fantastic extra income and a great opportunity for tax write-offs! Though, the rental program is only viable if you drive full-time
Lyft is what you make it
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 14, 2017
I think there should be a base pay rate, every ride is a different amount but I think the cheapest ride fare should be $10. Also I think Lyft should allow you to see where you are picking up and dropping off a passenger before you accept the ride.
Pros
You work when you want
Cons
Are in my review
Good money
Driver (Current Employee) –  Ventura County, CASeptember 14, 2017
Driving can be very time consuming but it does allow the freedom to do other things between actual rides. It can be effective as a full-time job if you can manage your time well.
Flexible
Rideshare Driver (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 13, 2017
This is the perfect side hustle. I would not recommend doing this full time but to make some extra money on the side, it is the best opportunity. You make your own hours.
Pros
Flexible, good pay, tax writ-offs
Cons
Disrespectful passengers.
Independent Money source
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CASeptember 13, 2017
With Lyft you can make money most of the time and if you take advantage of busy hours, you will make good money. Wear and tear on the car doesn't justify doing this for a long time though. Great for a quick job while you find something better.
Worker misclassification and low wages
Driver (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 13, 2017
I am a Lyft driver here in Las Vegas. Lyft does nothing to discourage riders from expecting drivers to break the law while servicing their transportation needs. It is illegal to have an open container of alcohol in a moving vehicle. It is also illegal to transport toddlers or infants without a car seat or for minors to ride alone. Lyft acts like big brother and will slow down how many and or what kind of fares you get if you are selective about who you want to pick up. Lyft says that you may decline to pick up riders if you feel unsafe or based on the rider rating, but if you cancel rides too much they will deactivate your account. Lyft claims that drivers can make $35 an hour, but that is not true. I had to open an Uber account as well just to make ends meet. On average I made just below minimum wage on the Lyft platform. Lyft does not like it when drivers work on the Uber platform and will not allow them to get any trip requests. There have been days when I do not get any fares on the Lyft platform. Doesn't seem like I am an independent contractor does it? That's because I am not, Lyft algorithms are very much in control.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Stressful
flexible
Independent Ride sharing contractor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
Easy work and good pay. No benefits though. The hours driving can take a toll on you but easy to manage your schedule. Also must be able to file your own taxes at the end of the year.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
wear on your car.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9