Lyft Employee Reviews

Work when and where you want but trash your car.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 20, 2016
If you are the kind of person who wants to work but is experiencing difficulty finding work in the current job market, Lyft can help you pay your bills until you are able to find something else.

Be prepared, however, to quickly put many miles on your personal vehicle and expose yourself to increased danger from motor vehicle accidents.

Although the company advertises what seems like a pretty good potential for pay, the actual results may disappoint you. My after expenses income ranged between 6 and 10 dollars per hour.
Pros
Work when you want.
Cons
Trash your car.
Only great for the long hours drivers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 17, 2016
A lot of drivers with lyft are part timers who are looking for the quick buck to help then out. The lyft fees are ridiculous and hurt those drivers. For example, I made about $550 in one week. I had $140 worth of lyft fees on top of paying $80 in gas and $75 in tolls to get into my zone.

The only people lyft really benefits is the drivers who drive over 50 hours a week and qualify for the 10% or 20% power driver bonus.
Pros
Driving is fun
Cons
Lyft fees, gas, wear and tear, barely any money made
Interesting
Driver (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2016
I enjoy meeting all kinds of people. The most aggravating thing is when someone will request a ride & either cancel when I'm already on my way there or just won't bother to show up at all. Lyft gets the money from cancellation charges but I waste my gas driving around for nothing. Currently I'm not making enough money driving in the Austin area to keep gas in my car or even buy food.
Pros
Instant Pay when you reach $50
Cons
High Customer Cancellations
The Most Flexible Job I've Ever Had
Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 13, 2016
Driving for Lyft is great! I generally drove as a supplement to my full-time job because I wanted to be able to afford to take my wife on a vacation to Martinique and Guadeloupe. Driving for Lyft can be whatever you make it, and as long as you think of your passengers needs first you'll always have good tips.
Pros
Discounts through perkspot, Work when you want
Cons
You work as a contractor so income isn't guaranteed
Absolute waste of TIME and money...
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJJuly 19, 2016
Have been doing this for a few months and feel VERY DISAPPOINTED and DISCOURAGED by the increasingly low and lower fares, the unfair customer ratings/reviews system, and the utter waste of time and life with this company...With the 25% cut going to these folks, the high gas prices, and the low fare rates, a Lyft driver makes peanuts at the end of the day unless s/he spends 12 hours driving far and wide to eke out a little extra bucks... Overall a bad job choice...
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No money, high mileage, car damage...
Lyfting on the Beach
Recruiter/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 10, 2016
Recruiting and mentoring has been phased out in some markets.Driving gives you the opportunity turn on and off the app as you see fit but the lowering of the fares make it so that you can not depend on this as a sole means of income or you will be disappointing. Loads of wear and tear of on your vehicle. Not worth it in the end.
Pros
independence
Cons
wear and tear of vehicle, decrease value, lowering of fares
Not a job to keep full time
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 13, 2016
All though driving for Lyft was a great experience, there were many "cons".
Wear and tear on your vehicle
Only communication with customer service is via email
Email responses could take up to 2-3 days
Compensation for damage to vehicle not always covered
Pros
Express Pay, Payed weekly, possibilities for bonuses
Cons
damage to vehicle not always covered, only contact to customer service is via email
i think that Lyft take much more care of employees than Uber, but still need improvement.
Independent Contractor - Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 3, 2016
I think that companies like Lyft and Uber must be better in future planning.
Now they work as gold miners, take gold today not thinking of what will happened when gold is over.
Working with Lyft i feel sometimes frustration, due for poor tech support. It have no direct phone number for calls in unusual situations.
Money, gained in lyft, mostly need to spend on repair, maintenance, gas and snacks, also car payments.
Sometimes i saw - not all the time i drive,where calculated in weekly report.i drived 7 hours and saw may be 6 counted.
But, Lyft help me to understand people and life in the city.
it was very helpfull for language study too.
Thanks Lyft!
What's the point?
Driver (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 28, 2016
If Lyft really wanted to, they would've exposed, exploited and upstaged Uber a while ago but instead they just follow in their shadow. In fact, they basically march lock-step with each other. Any disgruntled Uber drivers interested in signing up, stay far away as you'll just find yourself in the exact same conundrum with Lyft! Lyft could so very easily position themselves as THE alternative to Uber's shenanigans, but instead, they're just a cheap imitation!
Pros
Sign on any time you want
Cons
Rideshare is rideshare, no matter the name or place and they all stink like rotten meat!
An excellent introduction into do-it-yourself work
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2016
This company is a prime example of what good can come out of modern technology and the ability to work on your own terms and make your iwn money. The only drawback is you will have to use your own vehicle,, therefor miles on your car may come into play further down the road.
Pros
YOU CHOOSE YOUR OWN SCHEDULE AND HOURS
Cons
YOUR VEHICLE IS DEPPRECIATED
Honest review for Lyft Miami
Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 27, 2016
I want to start this review by saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE to make a living (in Miami) with this "job", and is completely false that you can make $35/h
First, you have a HUGE competitor: uber. They are more expensive and pay they drivers less, but still the most popular one. So, with lyft you won't have as many requests as you would with uber. Sometimes you can be even more than TWO hours waiting for a new pasanger even knowing the "good spots" around you.
Second, you will spend A LOT in gas, and don't make me start taking about car maintenance!!! Gas, oil change, tires, etc etc WILL drain ALL your profits
Pros
You don't have a boss, you work whenever, wherever and as many as you want
Cons
Driving around with strangers, Some of them might think that they can do whatever they want in your car
Driving with Lyft
Brand Ambassador;Personal Driver (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 22, 2016
Daily Jobs duties as a driver, waiting for a customer to request a ride, I then drive to their location picking them up and drive them to their destination.
As a Brand ambassador I go around the Tampa Bay area promoting the Company.
I also make calls and set up mentor sessions for a specific Mentor in the Tampa Bay area.
Pros
work when you want, your own boss
Definite disappointment
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 15, 2016
They promise you the moon and the stars, but they don't deliver. I am making worse than min. wage. I can't support my family on that. I made 3x last year when I was working in Indiana. The cost of living in CA is outrageous. I can't survive on what I am making at this company.
Pros
You get to work the hours you want
Cons
It is not worth the time or wear and tear on your car
Fun place to work.
Driver/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Greater Philadelphia, New Jersey areaSeptember 19, 2016
Excellent source to network and meet people. Friendly environment. Make your own hours. The business can travel with you wherever you go. They tell you the peak hours and you can work them if you would like. Excellent incentives to earn bonuses
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
wear and tear on your car, and if in accident, terribly long process to resolve.
Providing service and hospitality for the community
Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 23, 2016
With recent, notably consistent growth in Nashville, Tennessee, a company like Lyft is incredibly useful for the visitors from around the globe to the locals on their daily tasks. Driving for Lyft has been such an incredibly exciting to company to work for as it has been such a great opportunity to get to know the community and make sure that this city (which I am proud to call my hometown) is presented with absolute splendor.
worst company ever worked for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 5, 2016
Have worked for Lyft about 7 months and recently was in an accident through no fault of my own. Lyft disabled my account until I got the repairs fixed and inspected. I have sent them photos of the repairs and a copy of the inspection. I have received no response and am still disabled. This is my only source of income and they could care less.
Pros
Cons
Lost alot of money working for them
they take till they can't take anymore
driver (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 16, 2016
it looked very good for someone like me that got laid off. i needed to make ends meet so i decided to do lyft to try it out. sadly the whole facade of lyft being the good guys is bs they are just as bad if not worse than uber. they send you on 50 mile trips and barley pay you enough to cover the price of gas. while they take and take you spend on gas at the end of the day your left earning 5 or 6 dollars an hour if you're lucky. you can make more then that flipping burgers.
Pros
you get to drive around all night
Cons
gas fees drunks/druggies/hookers/dogs
Flexible and im my own boss
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 15, 2016
I work almost everyday. I set appointments between 7am-7pm. I typically get up around 8am, get ready for work. Drive to different parts of town to do my mentor sessions.

The hardest part of my job is not having direct support from lyft for any help.

The most enjoyable part is being independent, setting my own hours, taking breaks when I want and meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Flexibility. Money
Cons
No support from management. Lack of job security
Great part time job for supplemental income
Independent Contractor - Ridesharing (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 27, 2016
Has a great client base to allow for good pay during peak demand. Works well for people needing a supplemental income. Pays best during morning and evening commute hours, weekends, and events in and around downtown Seattle. Great for meeting new and interesting people to share stories with or to relax and enjoy music. Some negatives can be faults with the app. People will request a ride and then drop the request. Doesn't always pick the closest driver to the passenger. Ride requests will come up for customers that didn't actually request a ride. Don't always get prime time requests even if you are in or near the prime time area.
Pros
Great for people looking to supplement their income, meeting new people and sharing stories, flexible scheduling
Cons
App issues, use of own vehicle, frequently dropped ride requests, people that have had too much to drink
Perfect job/career for those who strive to be their own boss.
Ambassador/Independent Contractor/Driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 11, 2016
I love the freedom Lyft gives me to work on my own schedule, in my own time. I've been able to come out of my shell more with each passenger I pick up and drive around town. It's also been great way to get to know the city I've just recently moved to. The hardest part for me has been figuring out when and where the hot-spots are for those who need rides. San Antonio is such a new market that getting rides at all has been difficult. Passing out our referral cards has been a blast, but I have yet to see a return from that with those people using the codes to get their free rides. The Lyft community of drivers is amazing! We all come together as one big family, and we embrace all new drivers with the same enthusiasm.
Pros
Working my own schedule and hours; being my own boss.
Cons
Car insurance cost tripled.

2.8